Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

I'm looking for RPGs with good romances. What have ya'll played that ya'll would recommend?

I think the LUNAR games on the playstation are pretty. uh. DATED in that the combat/dungeons are boring but the writing is entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Spikeguy posted:

I'm looking for RPGs with good romances. What have ya'll played that ya'll would recommend?

Tales of Symphonia.

Change your romance target from default Collette to any other party member you have as well as one enemy? Yes, you can. Note they're not all romances. Some are bromances or paternal type dealies, but all the permutations were great.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I'm a giant sap, so my definition of good romance might not agree with yours, but hey. Here are some you might enjoy:

Final Fantasy IX
Valkyria Chronicles
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Tales of the Abyss

I'll add more if they come to me.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
How are people not talking about the greatest romance ever put on hard drives aka taking barret on the golden saucer date in ff7.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've heard some interesting things about Dragon's Dogma, what do ya'll know about that one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I've heard some interesting things about Dragon's Dogma, what do ya'll know about that one?

Well, if you're looking for romance, I can totally say that it involves the villain stealing the protagonist's heart.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Interesting is right, considering you're quite likely to accidentally romance a small girl or a middle aged blacksmith with a stupid moustache.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

My comedy answer is Planescape: Torment, but my serious answer is Planescape: Torment.

Spikeguy posted:

The best thing about the romance system in that game is that it gives literally zero indication that it exists until the very end.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Spikeguy posted:

It gets so interesting that some players accidentally got into romances with people that they didn't even remember existed. Made things fairly awkward where the Dragon was like "choose between sacrificing your lover for me to gently caress off, or fight me and die!" when the player doesn't even recognize said lover. Personally, I just gave a counterfeit ring to a woman who I'm sure was inspired by Caska from Berserk who spoke in an accent that changed frequently in mid-sentence, and she was willing to essentially die for me afterwards.

But like a lot of non-Dragon related things in Dragon's Dogma's story, the "romance" is... something alright. The game itself is fun as hell, even if a bit janky.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I had no idea Dragon's Dogma had a a relationship system and ended up with the creepily young witch girl.

I mean, I had no idea that's what had happened until I read about it on the internet, but it was still kinda dumb.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I had no idea Dragon's Dogma had a a relationship system and ended up with the creepily young witch girl.

I mean, I had no idea that's what had happened until I read about it on the internet, but it was still kinda dumb.

No creepy fat duke, I don't want to save you. I don't even remember your name.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Barudak posted:

No creepy fat duke, I don't want to save you. I don't even remember your name.

Goddamit, Dragon's Dogma really needs to come out on PC. I read about its romance system, but it wasn't until I saw a picture somewhere of a guy's love interest being this really creepy jester dude that I said "I NEED this game". I will romance all the NPCs.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Every time Dragon's Dogma is mentioned it just drives me nuts there isn't a pc port. I dunno if Dark Arisen or the ps3 version is any better, but the 360 version of DD I played was janky. The game was always letterboxed and frames dipped a lot. Even the most half assed port would be great for throwing extra horsepower at it.
ha! e:fb

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 11, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I've only played vanilla DD and Dark Arisen on PS3, but I hear PS3 runs better and Dark Arisen runs a little better on top of that. The framerate is pretty up and down for sure either way. I thought the letterboxing gave the game a really cool cinematic look that worked well with some of the scenery.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man I feel like I missed something with Dragons Dogma, I know I'm in the minority but I thought the game was, well...Awful. Every enemy from trash mob to boss felt like a huge damage sponge and the Pawn AI is some of the worst I've ever seen in my life. Oh yes, thank you Pawn for telling me that the wolves are weak to fire, and then proceeding to cast ice brand on my weapon. Cool. No, really thanks. :geno:

The game on paper sounds like something I'd love but I just could not bring myself to stand it at all, I even bought Dark Arisen after hearing people claim it fixed all of the games flaws and it was the same poo poo. I really wanted to like the game but just couldn't bring myself to. :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Spikeguy posted:

Shadow hearts 1 and 2!

What I'm serious...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Man I feel like I missed something with Dragons Dogma, I know I'm in the minority but I thought the game was, well...Awful. Every enemy from trash mob to boss felt like a huge damage sponge and the Pawn AI is some of the worst I've ever seen in my life. Oh yes, thank you Pawn for telling me that the wolves are weak to fire, and then proceeding to cast ice brand on my weapon. Cool. No, really thanks. :geno:

The game on paper sounds like something I'd love but I just could not bring myself to stand it at all, I even bought Dark Arisen after hearing people claim it fixed all of the games flaws and it was the same poo poo. I really wanted to like the game but just couldn't bring myself to. :(
The game begins and ends with the combat and skill system. Everything else is just an excuse to take a break in between beating the poo poo out of things. That's pretty much the game. It has a decent amount of play value because you can play for awhile as a warrior and then just change on a dime to an archer and keep on killing without missing a beat. The original really did suffer due to lack of fast travel, and Dark Arisen pretty much solved that with its own spin on mark/recall from Morrowind.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 11, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There are a lot of problems with DD; Pawn AI can actually be fairly intelligent but it requires sitting down with them in a tavern and sort of sussing out what the hell the personality questions are supposed to actually translate to and even then a lot of the personalities are so gormlessly stupid you'd never know that fact. Plus the game is just savagely and unfairly brutal to melee characters long before endgame and traveling never becomes "fun."

It feels like a game crying out for a better travel system (Dark Arisen addressed this?), a clear and concise gambit-system rip-off for your pawns, and some real co-op. And better class balance but lets be honest, in the year 2013 if you don't recognize that by default melee classes will be worthless garbage after the tutorial you're playing your first RPG.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's got a lot of problems, I won't try to deny that. I love it anyways because it's a playable DnD campaign contorted through a weird Japanese lens, and the combat system just works for me in a big way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Million Ghosts posted:

A guy I know was telling me about Shadow Hearts way back in the day, saying you had to kill Francis Bacon or some other crazy thing like that. If the first 2 are good I should probably give those a shot.

Yes you should. Shadow Hearts is still one of my absolute favorite games, and while I will heap crazy amounts of poo poo on Covenant, that's largely because it took the things I loved about the first game and either poo poo on them or toned them down in one way or another. It's still actually a pretty drat good JRPG.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If they had just tuned down the wacky poo poo a bit Covenant would probably be one of my favorite jrpgs of all time. The original had such a balance that I don't think any other rpg I've played has been able to nail.

But sadly they just went way too far in the silly direction and then kicked it into overdrive in the third. :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If they had just tuned down the wacky poo poo a bit Covenant would probably be one of my favorite jrpgs of all time. The original had such a balance that I don't think any other rpg I've played has been able to nail.

But sadly they just went way too far in the silly direction and then kicked it into overdrive in the third. :(

Yeah, they simultaneously toned down the horror aspects of the game (which was my favorite part of the first game) and ramped up the silly aspects. It was pretty unforgivable.

trikker
Sep 2, 2013

by Lowtax
While on the subject of recommendations...

I'm looking for games that satisfy the following conditions.

1)
You are rewarded for understanding the mechanics of the game, and utilizing that understanding. The mechanics should enable challenge, and this challenge should exist in the game, optional or otherwise. I hesitate to say that the mechanics should be complex since you can probably imagine, or have experienced, complex mechanics that give rise to a few obvious overpowered strategies. The slope of the learning curve doesn't matter, but its global maximum should be high. Grinding should not be a viable option, though I realize this is kind of a staple of the genre (often a fallback for the design not allowing the player to "reset" poorly made choices that have gotten them stuck in a difficulty rut). Real-time is kind of annoying, but I liked Chrono Trigger in Active mode so I guess I don't know who I am anymore. A good example is FFT 1.3.

2)
Lots of exploration. I don't like what amounts to a list of puzzles to check off (Advance Wars). There should be a world I can walk around in, people/things to talk to, branching paths, weird optional stuff, etc. I have fonder memories of exploring Treno than of killing Lord Gizmaluke. Even better if the exploration integrates well with the mechanics, e.g. a more-challenging-than-average enemy is blocking an optional, but useful, shortcut. A good example is Dark Souls.

3)
Unique and interesting, but well thought out setting and plot. You know, like someone sat down and said "hmm, what if the world worked this way? Well then I guess this would happen, then this would happen..." However, a well-developed lore shouldn't be at the expense of character development, nor should it smother you with loads of unsatisfying and flavorless gruel. I can't say Dark Souls again so um...FFIX...because...Hawaii? Honestly my bar is pretty low here, I just want it to be fun. Think 'Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind' and not 'Star Wars'.

4)
3DS, PC, 360, smart phone, or emu preferred, but honestly if it's good I'll get whatever console.

So far I've kind of looked at Radiant Historia and the Shin Megami Tensei series. Unfortunately gameplay videos are awful to judge by, when 90% of the interesting stuff is under the hood. And though it isn't saying much, I value the opinion of random people in a paywalled RPG thread a hell of a lot more than whatever reviewer.

I realize these conditions are kind of vague, in that they amount to 'I want a good game', but any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Completely off-topic from this post, but something I found while wiking Chrono Trigger's active mode. One of the original story ideas that was scrapped for Chrono Trigger was that After Crono is killed by Lavos, they go back in time and bring Crono from the past back into the future to finish their journey. I'm not so much surprised (though disappointed) at the decision to scrap this for the doll solution, since children can't watch the Sopranos or whatever, but man would it have made for a more interesting final act. Suddenly, assuming the party informs him of his fate (or maybe they hide it from him, but he finds out in a great WTFGUYS moment), Crono has to come to terms with his premature death and, depending on the direction writing takes, try to circumvent it or accept it (or both?). Potentially a bunch of weird time-travel issues here as well (as if the game didn't have enough) Source

trikker fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 11, 2013

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Shin Megami Tensei 4, Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey series maybe, old dungeon crawlers might be down your alley but someone else would need to cover them.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

I'll vote for nocturne. You were considering an SMT game, and IMO nocturne is the best SMT game.(I haven't played all of them, though.)
1)
The mechanics are as good as it gets in a JRPG, and I only had to grind a couple times in the entire 60 something hour game.
2)
I often had to look up where the gently caress I was supposed to go next in a walkthrough, and there is a massive amount of optional content, so exploring everywhere is required.(or reading a walkthrough :v:)
3)
The world is pretty interesting, and there is barely any exposition. On the other hand, there isn't really any character development, people just kinda do things because. So a lot like dark souls, basically.
4)
It's on the ps2, so you can emulate it if you have decent pc.

Maybe strange journey, but I haven't played it yet.

edit: I was thinking this was the JRPG thread for some reason. Stuff like ultima underworld or gothic are better suggestions.

Abysswalker fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 12, 2013

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

trikker posted:

Based on those criteria, I think you should take a look at Xenoblade Chronicles. Nothing like Dark Souls, but it's the first thing that comes to mind when you're talking about exploration and an interesting setting.

The downside is that it's a Wii exclusive, but a lot of people recommend emulating it anyway.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fallout New Vegas sounds like it's right up your alley, trikker. It's also got a shitton of mods if the base game doesn't satisfy you.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

How long does it take you guys to finish a 30 hour game? I'm asking in terms of days or weeks, so obviously a daily average of hours spent in game. I see things estimated at 30-40 hours and think cool, I could finish that in three weeks with a couple mammoth weekend sessions... But no. Invariably ends up taking longer, and I find myself wondering how I'll ever get through all the RPGs I still want to play.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

trikker posted:

I'm looking for games that satisfy the following conditions.

1)
You are rewarded for understanding the mechanics of the game, and utilizing that understanding. The mechanics should enable challenge, and this challenge should exist in the game, optional or otherwise. I hesitate to say that the mechanics should be complex since you can probably imagine, or have experienced, complex mechanics that give rise to a few obvious overpowered strategies. The slope of the learning curve doesn't matter, but its global maximum should be high. Grinding should not be a viable option, though I realize this is kind of a staple of the genre (often a fallback for the design not allowing the player to "reset" poorly made choices that have gotten them stuck in a difficulty rut). Real-time is kind of annoying, but I liked Chrono Trigger in Active mode so I guess I don't know who I am anymore. A good example is FFT 1.3.

2)
Lots of exploration. I don't like what amounts to a list of puzzles to check off (Advance Wars). There should be a world I can walk around in, people/things to talk to, branching paths, weird optional stuff, etc. I have fonder memories of exploring Treno than of killing Lord Gizmaluke. Even better if the exploration integrates well with the mechanics, e.g. a more-challenging-than-average enemy is blocking an optional, but useful, shortcut. A good example is Dark Souls.

3)
Unique and interesting, but well thought out setting and plot. You know, like someone sat down and said "hmm, what if the world worked this way? Well then I guess this would happen, then this would happen..." However, a well-developed lore shouldn't be at the expense of character development, nor should it smother you with loads of unsatisfying and flavorless gruel. I can't say Dark Souls again so um...FFIX...because...Hawaii? Honestly my bar is pretty low here, I just want it to be fun. Think 'Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind' and not 'Star Wars'.

4)
3DS, PC, 360, smart phone, or emu preferred, but honestly if it's good I'll get whatever console.

So far I've kind of looked at Radiant Historia and the Shin Megami Tensei series. Unfortunately gameplay videos are awful to judge by, when 90% of the interesting stuff is under the hood. And though it isn't saying much, I value the opinion of random people in a paywalled RPG thread a hell of a lot more than whatever reviewer.

I realize these conditions are kind of vague, in that they amount to 'I want a good game', but any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Completely off-topic from this post, but something I found while wiking Chrono Trigger's active mode. One of the original story ideas that was scrapped for Chrono Trigger was that After Crono is killed by Lavos, they go back in time and bring Crono from the past back into the future to finish their journey. I'm not so much surprised (though disappointed) at the decision to scrap this for the doll solution, since children can't watch the Sopranos or whatever, but man would it have made for a more interesting final act. Suddenly, assuming the party informs him of his fate (or maybe they hide it from him, but he finds out in a great WTFGUYS moment), Crono has to come to terms with his premature death and, depending on the direction writing takes, try to circumvent it or accept it (or both?). Potentially a bunch of weird time-travel issues here as well (as if the game didn't have enough) Source

Planescape Torment, Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 1 & 2, Risen, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Fallout 1 & 2, Wizardry 8.

These are all amazing and if you've only played JRPGs, you've been missing out big time. Dark Souls is a heavy homage to western RPGs, and if you dig it, I'd put Gothic 1/2/Risen & Ultima Underworld 1/2/Arx as your priority.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

trikker posted:

Unlimited SaGa meets points 1, 2 and 3. :buddy:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Joe Man posted:

Planescape Torment

I agree with most of your other recommendations, but not Torment. I love P:T, but based on what trikker's looking for that's not the game to recommend. I find that you play Torment very much in spite of itself, and I definitely would not say that you're rewarded for understanding the mechanics of the game by any stretch. It's great, and it fulfils 2 and 3 brilliantly. But the parts where you play Torment are very much incidental to the main experience.

trikker
Sep 2, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks for the recommendations! Now I've got a big list of stuff to at least take a look at, but I decided to start with Xenoblade Chronicles and Planescape Torment.

@TheJoeMan

I think my problem with a lot of western RPGs is they tend to ego stroke in a way that is really off-putting to me. On one hand, JRPGs tend to culminate at a much larger scale (save existence, kill God, what have you). This may be a byproduct of the philosophical questions JRPGs tend to tackle, which may be a byproduct of Japanese culture, etc. In contrast, WRPGs tend to limit scope (save the kingdom, save the world). However, I've noticed that the character development in JRPGs, particularly the relationships between the characters, feels more honest. While the mood of dialogue between characters certainly changes depending on the situation, from beginning to end it still feels like a bunch of unlikely friends loving around having a good time, despite the enormous stakes. In WRPGs, particularly ones where you are supposed to project yourself into the protagonist, as the story progresses the other characters tend to start heavily ego-stroking the main character, I assume to fulfill the player's power fantasy. It's creepy and not how friends act toward each other, at least in my experience.

I also want to say that I think JRPGs tend to take bigger risks from a mechanics perspective, so different games feel like I'm having to learn completely new systems, rather than drawing obvious analogies to existing ones with slight differences, but I'm probably wrong here since I haven't played a lot of the old WRPGs. This also might just be a volume thing as well, in that Japan churns out more RPGs so there is more pressure to differentiate.

Though I'd be interested in some elaboration on how Dark Souls pays homage to western RPGs. Thematically for sure, but otherwise I'd say it's basically a modern LoZ with RPG elements added to balance out planning and execution. That the game can be beaten purely through skill in execution, and not purely through understanding the mechanics, speaks volumes.

Edit: Just saw your post CottonWolf, I've played up to exiting the crypt, and so far agree with you, but want to give it more of a chance before I put it down, since that is essentially the tutorial :P

trikker fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 11, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey, my memory is a little fuzzy here, but what games had the main enemy as your brother or childhood best friend, and this was the big reveal at the end? I know Baldur's Gate played on this, but for some reason I'm thinking Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic did too. Were there any Dungeons and Dragons games where this was the case, or anything in the Final Fantasy series?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bongo Bill posted:

The Spiderweb Software games have a reliable reputation.
That reputation mostly boils down to "the best you're going to get, because there isn't anything else." It dominates the niche for the only reason that's there no real competition.

CottonWolf posted:

I agree with most of your other recommendations, but not Torment. I love P:T, but based on what trikker's looking for that's not the game to recommend. I find that you play Torment very much in spite of itself, and I definitely would not say that you're rewarded for understanding the mechanics of the game by any stretch. It's great, and it fulfils 2 and 3 brilliantly. But the parts where you play Torment are very much incidental to the main experience.
Planescape is something you really should play more like an adventure game, with all stats cheated to max and focusing on the talking and exploring. I the combat isn't actively bad, but it's not really what the game is about.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey, my memory is a little fuzzy here, but what games had the main enemy as your brother or childhood best friend, and this was the big reveal at the end? I know Baldur's Gate played on this, but for some reason I'm thinking Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic did too. Were there any Dungeons and Dragons games where this was the case, or anything in the Final Fantasy series?

Final Fantasy II comes to mind. FF IV to a limited scope (Cecil/Golbez) as well.

Edit: vv Fair point. Then again, I've tried to forget a lot of FFIV because of The After Years. vv

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 11, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ShadowedFlames posted:

FF IV to a limited scope (Cecil/Golbez) as well.

Limited my rear end, Kain falls under this like MAD.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks guys. I'm sure they're was a PC RPG like this. Didn't Bioware use this more than once?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pokemon!

I suppose there are elements of that in Suikoden 2 as well, and the entire Mother series dances around it to various degrees.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ImpAtom posted:

The second a game is translated, even with a bad translation, there's no real interest in redoing it unless it's really really easy to do so. It's the same reason FFVII never got a retranslation despite being more popular and a huge mess.

Where have you been?

Dec 26, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

That reputation mostly boils down to "the best you're going to get, because there isn't anything else." It dominates the niche for the only reason that's there no real competition.

They're also pretty decent games on their own merit though. I'll grant that they get much less rough as he's gotten better at it and he's had a few missteps though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The same place I've always been? That's unfinished, and everything I've seen of it is extremely rough. If it actually gets finished it will technically be a retranslation but probably not a great one. (Although it'd still be hard for it to be worse than the original.) Maybe it's gotten better since I last checked it out but I don't see any huge updates.

I don't have a lot of faith in the head of the team either considering one of his plans is to replace Cait Sith with a human character he wrote himself who "fits into the game" and is named after Judas.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 11, 2013