Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

serewit posted:

Is there some sort of TFR starsign that goes off when anyone posts about guns in D&D, I'm genuinely curious here. Google Alerts? NSA surveillance? The people want to know.

You see that little box to the right of the thread titles with a little number and an x? Mystery solved. It's not like this is a thread about midterms or anything. Nothing any TFR reader would have any interest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sancho posted:

You see that little box to the right of the thread titles with a little number and an x? Mystery solved. It's not like this is a thread about midterms or anything. Nothing any TFR reader would have any interest in.

I was trying to make a dumb joke and you killed it, thanks Zimmerman.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Warszawa posted:

Ugh, I was really hoping Thompson would make it to a run-off.

He still might. BdB is less than 2k votes over the runoff threshold and the BoE believes over 30k votes to be currently uncounted, which should be disproportionately less favorable to BdB than the overall vote for the usual reasons. In any case, we've entered the complete clusterfuck portion of the proceedings, because NYC's election officials are wholly unprepared to finish a recount in time to hold a runoff three weeks later, and unlike past candidates in this situation, I do not believe Thompson will concede (in large part, I assume, because Thompson considers the runoff winnable).

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

gfanikf posted:

Far less than the puppetmaster raised. He personally outspent them by 10k. Its been in a number of articles.

Sorry but the NRA spending boogeyman didn't occur in this instance.

Mother Jones posted:

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who chairs a group called Mayors Against Illegal Guns[,] gave $350,000.

. . .

The National Rifle Association Committee to Restore Coloradans' Rights, as the NRA's recall group is called, had spent $362,000 as of September 3, with more expected over the last week.

:eng99:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

He still might. BdB is less than 2k votes over the runoff threshold and the BoE believes over 30k votes to be currently uncounted, which should be disproportionately less favorable to BdB than the overall vote for the usual reasons. In any case, we've entered the complete clusterfuck portion of the proceedings, because NYC's election officials are wholly unprepared to finish a recount in time to hold a runoff three weeks later, and unlike past candidates in this situation, I do not believe Thompson will concede (in large part, I assume, because Thompson considers the runoff winnable).

I was listening to NPR this morning (in Albany) and a local commenter was praising the BdB numbers as a sign that finally, NYC had post-racial politics. :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whoops I misremembered. For someone I thought the NRA did 10 under.

Still let's use the Denver Post one for a further look. It's amazing how much was spent against the recall and they still managed to lose consider how little the Pro-Recall Group raised. More importantly the NRA also includes the Colorado NRA chapter which is instate vs purely out of state like the National Chapter (so it's a mix of local and national) as opposed to Bloomie.

quote:

FOR RECALL

Total raised: $540,000

Itemized donations in Colorado: $147,000

Itemized donations outside of Colorado: $368,000

Some top donors

•NRA: $360,000

•I Am Created Equal: $56,800

•Colorado Citizens Protecting Our Constitution: $29,800

•Victor Head, Pueblo resident: $5,800

•Dianna Harris, Colorado Springs resident: $4,500

AGAINST RECALL

Total raised: $3 million

Itemized donations in Colorado: $1.5 million

Itemized donations outside of Colorado: $1.5 million

Some top donors

•Taxpayers for Responsible Democracy: $620,000

•Michael Bloomberg: $350,000

•DLCC Unincorporated Individual Acct: $300,000

•Eli Broad: $250,000

•Mainstream Colorado: $211,800

Donation money

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Ideological arguments aside, those Colorado recalls have to give some doubts to Democrats who were viewing this as a major base mobilization issue.

I don't have any direct evidence but I also suspect Bloomberg's money and name being tossed around in Colorado didn't help much. "New York money influencing our politics" is a solid narrative, even beyond guns.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Landstander posted:

Ideological arguments aside, those Colorado recalls have to give some doubts to Democrats who were viewing this as a major base mobilization issue.

Well, they are a major base mobilization issue, it's just not the base that's going to vote for them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jeffersonlives posted:

Well, they are a major base mobilization issue, it's just not the base that's going to vote for them.

Well as I pointed out earlier, it apparently did mobilize some democrats...just not how Giron wanted.

The Landstander posted:

I don't have any direct evidence but I also suspect Bloomberg's money and name being tossed around in Colorado didn't help much. "New York money influencing our politics" is a solid narrative, even beyond guns.

It doesn't, it's been seen in the effects of ads he's paid to run against certain Senators. One said he worked for Arkansas, not New York (or something similar to that). Flipping off Bloomberg is a popular position...even in NYC.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Booker is currently leading Lonegan by double digits.

Oh, and those digits are 3 and 5.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Without clicking, I realized those digits could be in either order and I'd believe them.

From what I've heard from goons and non-goons alike, though, Booker's running a hilarious field op that's basically the clearest "we're using this as a national campaign scrimmage" message you can possibly send.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Great news for Lonegan!!

Seriously though, :fork:. That is possibly the most hilarious campaign lead I've seen since I've started following politics.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Still less embarrassing than Weiner and Liu.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Given how the campaign was covered, it's nice to know that Weiner's bid is the closest most of us will ever come to seeing someone actually finish fifth in a four-person race.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think Christine Quinn going from heavy frontrunner to distant 3rd is more embarrassing than whatever Weiner did. All that effort being Bloomberg-lite gone to waste :(

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Question for New Yorkers, is de Blasio a good mayor candidate, or do you feel he can maybe go farther than NYC?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nonsense posted:

Question for New Yorkers, is de Blasio a good mayor candidate, or do you feel he can maybe go farther than NYC?

I think most people have unrealistic expectations about de Blasio - he's got a great platform, but some things he's said give me pause (for example, when saying "I'm the only candidate in the race who understands the implications of Stop and Frisk because I married a black woman and have a biracial son," one should probably check that there's not an actual black person running too, and his comments on raising the NYC income tax are troublesome because that power rests with Albany) and he's the protege of one Andrew Cuomo, hardly the left-wing dream. I don't think it's particularly likely he's going to go far beyond NYC.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
There IS nothing farther than NYC. Being the Governor is a lesser title. Hell, being a Rep is a lesser title.
Senator? Depends largely on his performance and the field, but seriously, the only step up from NYC Mayor is the White House, and even then it's questionable.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

I think most people have unrealistic expectations about de Blasio - he's got a great platform, but some things he's said give me pause (for example, when saying "I'm the only candidate in the race who understands the implications of Stop and Frisk because I married a black woman and have a biracial son," one should probably check that there's not an actual black person running too, and his comments on raising the NYC income tax are troublesome because that power rests with Albany) and he's the protege of one Andrew Cuomo, hardly the left-wing dream. I don't think it's particularly likely he's going to go far beyond NYC.

Oh so that's why Bloomeberg characterized him as 'racist'? For some strange reason a person attributed the comment to Bloomberg's massive liberal political correctness on some up-rated NYT comment. :psyduck:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

BdB is probably better than Bloomberg.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nonsense posted:

Oh so that's why Bloomeberg characterized him as 'racist'? For some strange reason a person attributed the comment to Bloomberg's massive liberal political correctness on some up-rated NYT comment. :psyduck:

Bloomberg called de Blasio a racist for bringing up race in relation to Stop and Frisk and campaigning with his family. It was profoundly hosed up.

serewit posted:

BdB is probably better than Bloomberg.

He's a loving Red Sox fan, so it's a game of small margins. At least we're probably not going to have to deal with Ray Kelly much longer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

do you feel he can maybe go farther than NYC?

Mayor of New York is an office infamous as being the last stop in political careers. The last time a Mayor achieved higher office after their term was when Daniel Tiemann got elected to the State Senate in 1872.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Bloomberg called de Blasio a racist for bringing up race in relation to Stop and Frisk and campaigning with his family. It was profoundly hosed up.

Gross and hosed up of him to even try and lay that at de Blasio's door.

Joementum posted:

Mayor of New York is an office infamous as being the last stop in political careers. The last time a Mayor achieved higher office after their term was when Daniel Tiemann got elected to the State Senate in 1872.

Maybe Bloomberg will run for Mayor of Chicago? And be the first American to earn the title Lord Mayor.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nonsense posted:

Noted racist, sexist piece of poo poo Mike Bloomberg has very little in the way of shame, it must be said.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Maybe Bloomberg will run for Mayor of Chicago? And be the first American to earn the title Lord Mayor.

I can't decide if Mike Bloomberg would be better or worse than Rahm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Warszawa posted:

Noted racist, sexist piece of poo poo Mike Bloomberg has very little in the way of shame, it must be said.

We need a word for "privileged rich" that has the sting of "racist" and "sexist". [strike]I have the strong impression that Bloomberg's main problem is he's a supreme class bigot.[/strike]

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 11, 2013

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We need a word for "privileged rich" that has the sting of "racist" and "sexist". I have the strong impression that Bloomberg's main problem is he's a supreme class bigot.

I wasn't being roundabout or hyperbolic, he is actually a racist and a sexist. I'm not comfortable saying his incredible disdain for the poor and working class is more of a problem than that, but it's certainly not less.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Rahm is very close to charter schools. I think Bloomberg's immunity to that kind of financial influence makes him better (less horrible).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Bloomberg at least pays out of pocket.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Warszawa posted:

I wasn't being roundabout or hyperbolic, he is actually a racist and a sexist. I'm not comfortable saying his incredible disdain for the poor and working class is more of a problem than that, but it's certainly not less.

Yeah, please don't think I'm denying that Bloomberg is also racist and sexist and so forth. I should've just said "we need a -ist word for class bigotry also."

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

gfanikf posted:

Bloomberg at least pays out of pocket.

The Chicago gun litigation that the NRA and related entities decided to go for attorney's fees on predate Emanuel's tenure.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, please don't think I'm denying that Bloomberg is also racist and sexist and so forth. I should've just said "we need a -ist word for class bigotry also."

Classist?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jeffersonlives posted:

The Chicago gun litigation that the NRA and related entities decided to go for attorney's fees on predate Emanuel's tenure.

Still Bloomberg would have at least paid out of pocket. It was also partially in jest...and I never stop finding those photos humorous.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

serewit posted:

Is there some sort of TFR starsign that goes off when anyone posts about guns in D&D, I'm genuinely curious here. Google Alerts? NSA surveillance? The people want to know.

"Those times that there were only one set of footprints in the sand--my son, it was then that I carried you (to legal weed)."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I voted for BdB cause I like his platform, and well Thompson had his chance in 2009 and he couldn't beat Bloomberg which I rarely ever hear a nice word about the man even here on Staten Islsnd. Where New York likes to concentrate it's regressive asssholes.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
What is the reaction to Thompson doggedly staying in the race? As an outsider the fact he is well short of BdB's total makes him seem like a sore loser, in spite of the runoff threshold. His rallying cry that he only slightly lost to BdB and Bloomberg is also pretty weak

Is there a chance an overwhelming majority of the losing candidate's supporters will break for Thompson?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

What is the reaction to Thompson doggedly staying in the race? As an outsider the fact he is well short of BdB's total makes him seem like a sore loser, in spite of the runoff threshold. His rallying cry that he only slightly lost to BdB and Bloomberg is also pretty weak

Is there a chance an overwhelming majority of the losing candidate's supporters will break for Thompson?

He may have an outside shot since BdB is a "destructive" radical left-winger and that apparently scares all of the SilentD establishment types

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I'm skeptical there will even be a runoff - absentees might trend conservative but they also don't trend black - and no, not really.

This piece here is where the lower Manhattan wind is blowing; they don't like BdB but know he'll win anyway so the concern trolling is largely wasted. efb

Having said that, the bottom line is none of these people are the type to make a good NYC mayor and BdB is already making dumb impossible promises so here's to the city surviving his term in one piece.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

He's a loving Red Sox fan, so it's a game of small margins. At least we're probably not going to have to deal with Ray Kelly much longer.

In fairness, gently caress the Yankees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I think, pragmatically, there's a chance that turnout difference and the diffusion of Anyone-But-Quinn voters among the remaining candidates (as de Blasio was seen as most likely to force her into a run-off when it looked like she might have a shot) could result in a win for Thompson, yes, but I don't know if that's why Thompson's staying in. I've heard three rumors from my friends who still work in city politics, none of which I can personally verify for myself and all of which I'd take with a grain of salt:

1) Thompson has polling that shows him winning a run-off.

2) Thompson believes that something will happen in the next three weeks to render De Blasio toxic or damaged as a candidate. For what it's worth, de Blasio has a reputation for trying to gently caress any and all female staff in Democratic campaigns, government, or political consulting, and he's made his whole campaign about his family.

3) Thompson genuinely doesn't like Bill de Blasio and thinks his whole "I have a black wife, I'm the only one who really gets racism" is the most stupid-rear end, NYU white boy thing to ever be uttered in NYC politics. Given that the Thomspon campaign staff, in public statements, has been cooler on staying in than the candidate himself, I honestly would say this is most likely explanation.

• Locked thread