Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Peas and Rice posted:

I think the most damning part of that is that he openly admits he had no idea what kind of budget it was going to take to make the game he proposed, and once he realized how in over his head was, he didn't just come forward and admit it but kept trying to drive the Titanic like nothing was wrong at all.

I wish he'd posted this six months ago. And as much as I'd like to, I can't fault him too much because most creative people have zero head for actual business, and it's my fault as a backer for not diving into his commercial (instead of free-to-play) background first.

Yeah, I mean honestly a lot of indie projects are kind of like this - in uni I watched a lot of folks start up little 'projects' that never went anywhere, so I can't reaaaaaally be surprised about it, and at least they're still working on it. But the communications/etc have been pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mighty no. 9 is over 2million, at this rate even if backing slows down it seems like 2.5mil should be a given and 3mil a possibility. Kicktraq's range for it looks to be 2.4-4mil:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/#chart-exp-projection

I really hope it manages to hit 2.75mil at the least. Not holding my breath on 3.3mil and XBone/PS4 versions.

I sincerely hope that 4 mil is where it eventually ends up. It is a tricky prospect to keep making as much money as these guys are doing from day to day, but if they keep the updates coming and add more tiers (if possible) they might at least get close.

Of course, whichever goal adds Call as a playable character for the main campaign is going to be what I want them attaining.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Super Retro Squad guy posted:

We scrapped all of the code that we were working on and started fresh in early August. [...] To some people, it may seem like a bad decision to completely rewrite our code, but you'll just have to trust my judgement. I think everyone would be happier if they just consider August 2013 the start date of production and that everything leading up to it was a mix of pre-production, learning stuff, and getting ourselves financially stable. I'm sure some people will be upset by this, but I always think it's best to just tell the truth. So there it is.

Yeah, this game is dead. I don't think I've ever seen a game actually survive a complete code rewrite. Especially when the justification is basically that a shiny new toy is coming out, in this case 2D tools in Unity.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Shantae kickstarter is chugging along and has reached 250K of 400K. I just want them to at least reach the 500K stretch goal - I'm a sucker for extra playable characters.
I've actually tried the original now and it's surprisingly fun for a GBC platformer.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 12, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So the Shadowrun guys have launched their miniatures + smartphones Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/golem-arcana

Not exactly my thing, but I wish them luck.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Renoistic posted:

The Shantae kickstarter is chugging along and has reached 250K of 400K. I just want them to at least reach the 500K stretch goal - I'm a sucker for extra playable characters.
I've actually tried the original now and it's surprisingly fun for a GBC platformer.

I think they'll be able to hit the $500k stretch goal, at least, probably just from inertia alone.

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Megazver posted:

Already at 1/4 of their requested goal. Didn't think it would be that popular!

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, this game is dead. I don't think I've ever seen a game actually survive a complete code rewrite. Especially when the justification is basically that a shiny new toy is coming out, in this case 2D tools in Unity.

I have seen an example of games coping with a total engine re-write during patches (Arcen Games' AI War switching from a XNA-alike to Unity), and obviously we have a few big AAA games making it out despite many, many rewrites (e.g. Duke Nukeum Forever). However, without a publisher demanding something or an income to fund re-development? Yeah, it's dead.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ludo Friend posted:

If I had the time, money, and like-minded friends I would be all over that thing. It's a neat idea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Megazver posted:

Oh that looks like it could be a lot of fun. I wish it were a four-player game instead of just two-player, though. Two players is me and my wife and she wouldn't be interested in that kind of game. Four players is me my wife and two friends and I could get that group together to try it.

edit: wait, it says up to eight can play? So you have to buy an extra set of miniatures per person, basically? Or what?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 12, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ludo Friend posted:

It's already a day old, so the first day rush is over. It's probably 50/50 that they scrape by before the closing date.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

pumpinglemma posted:

On the one hand, this is the only (game) kickstarter I've been burned on and for not that much a pledge, but on the other, the guys made a lot of dumb mistakes and continue to plan poorly and make excuses, so I'm done.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Renoistic posted:

I went and finished the GBC game the other day for the first time. I rarely finish games, but I wanted to do so for this one. It has a few bullshit elements in it such as a few vague clues near the end and some regular enemies being really tough on the early outset when you don't have any equipment bought yet, but I grew up with Zelda II and Battle of Olympus, so I'm more tolerant of that NES-era stuff than others might be. Starting up Risky's Revenge in preparation for when the third game comes out.

I want to see the Kickstarter hit the $700k stretch goal. I'm a sucker for goofy alternate cosmetics in my games, I mean I play TF2 and all. Also that Patricia Wagon outfit because I love Mighty Switch Force.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Mercury Crusader posted:

I went and finished the GBC game the other day for the first time. I rarely finish games, but I wanted to do so for this one. It has a few bullshit elements in it such as a few vague clues near the end and some regular enemies being really tough on the early outset when you don't have any equipment bought yet, but I grew up with Zelda II and Battle of Olympus, so I'm more tolerant of that NES-era stuff than others might be. Starting up Risky's Revenge in preparation for when the third game comes out.

I want to see the Kickstarter hit the $700k stretch goal. I'm a sucker for goofy alternate cosmetics in my games, I mean I play TF2 and all. Also that Patricia Wagon outfit because I love Mighty Switch Force.

After replaying Shantae and Risky's Revenge I'm hoping we crack 800k, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen at the rate of growth. If there's one thing that bugs me about about both is just how short they are, I'd love some extra content.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hyper Light Drifter just blew up all over my Twitter feed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter

It's like Zelda meets Sword & Sorcery EP.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

pumpinglemma posted:

They said they'd make a documentary. That may actually be the most interesting part of the whole thing... unless the person doing the documentary is as bad at budgeting as the developers are

edit: also this is the most hilariously amateurish logo I've seen in a while. Apply all the photoshop filters!

waffle fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 12, 2013

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Megazver posted:

I really hope they can make it with this. They have a solid product even if it something I personally don't need, unlike their last kickstarter. I just want their company to stay afloat and to keep making cool ideas :ohdear:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Yodzilla posted:

Hyper Light Drifter just blew up all over my Twitter feed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter

AND it has Disasterpeace on the OST. Dude's going to be busy between this and RCR Underground. :)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

This looks loving fantastic, I'm sold just from the screenshots.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question about the Alteil video. What would stop you from moving that pawn thing you deployed back one so that your other two units could attack?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

pumpinglemma posted:

If he really wanted to he could easily get started using some other 2D framework in Unity but I guess nope they're just gonna kinda sit on it and hope that sometime in October the new 2D Unity tools will suit their needs and start the coding process from scratch. :rolleye:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

What are you talking about? It worked wonders for Duke Nukem Forever!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

waffle posted:

They said they'd make a documentary. That may actually be the most interesting part of the whole thing... unless the person doing the documentary is as bad at budgeting as the developers are

The documentary died a long time ago. I'm pretty sure it was some film school pal they conned into doing it and then backed out.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

The design of the kickstarter itself is uncannily similar to Radio the Universe, weird.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 12, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

the black husserl posted:

The design of the kickstarter itself is uncannily similar to Radio the Universe, weird.

How's that one doing? The updates are backer-only.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

the black husserl posted:

What's weird--and perhaps this is what you meant--is that the game looks uncannily similar to Radio the Universe. The art style, especially the stylized lighting, looks just like it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Yodzilla posted:

Man, that looks fantastic. The dash mechanic is a nice way of solving the "jumping in a top-down world" problem, too.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SaviourX posted:

On the one hand, this is the only (game) kickstarter I've been burned on and for not that much a pledge, but on the other, the guys made a lot of dumb mistakes and continue to plan poorly and make excuses, so I'm done.

Kinda like the team from Rainfall: The Sojourn. I'm counting that money as lost now.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Added an update to my kickstater to humanize us and show that we are not a megacorp (though I think it may be a little late). We made liberal use of kittens and babies.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/978065956/alteil-horizions/posts/597174

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Wow that is really good looking and they show off a ton of solid gameplay. Interesting that they didn't bother with an explanatory KS video and just went with a trailer.

On one of the dev's homepages I found this which also looked cool Samurai Gunn

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Verdugo posted:

Kinda like the team from Rainfall: The Sojourn. I'm counting that money as lost now.

Yeah, I really shouldn't have backed that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Megazver posted:

How's that one doing? The updates are backer-only.

He's actually been doing pretty solid monthly updates, which is nice. Here's some test footage that's public on youtube, so I assume it's semi-kosher to share.

edit: nope, unlisted.

diadem posted:

Added an update to my kickstater to humanize us and show that we are not a megacorp (though I think it may be a little late). We made liberal use of kittens and babies.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/978065956/alteil-horizions/posts/597174

Going to be honest, my biggest reason for not backing you is just the flood of Digital CCGs ongoing right now. We've got Hex, Solforge, and a couple others, and I've already sunk a fair amount of money into those. :(

That being said the backer video's fairly well done, and the UI/etc look really nice.

Edit: the other thing is that I'm mostly uninterested in playing against other players compared to playing against the computer, and it sounds like this is just PvP

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 13, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Yodzilla posted:

Christ, that looks utterly gorgeous.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Verdugo posted:

Yeah, if it's not a known team, no more backing from me unless they have a gameplay video.

I'm just really weak to things that look like SNES-era JRPGs, and especially things that resemble Secret of Mana.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Taxi Journey

So, this game showed up in my "recommended for you" queue. They are clearly taking cues from LIMBO and Machinarium (which they acknowledge in the pitch) but the art is whimsical and lovely and stands on its own.

I haven't seen any press for it so far, perhaps they did not line up coverage before the campaign. The studio is apparently experienced, I haven't played any of their previous games so I cannot comment on that. The asking price at $130,000 is steep but this may reflect them being more realistic about their budget from experience. They even included a budget breakdown

(Is linking images hosted on Amazon kosher? I'll re-upload if not.)

In the same section they also did a rough explanation of stretch goal costs. That's the other thing, I get the impression they have a tight vision of what they want to end up with so there are no "feature creep" stretch goals, instead all of the goals are porting the game to different platforms.

The tiers are reasonable but definitely on the expensive side of what an indie game can ask for. They could also be slightly more granular.

(This is an homage to Calvin and Hobbes, right?)

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 13, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well Volgarr the Viking is out, glad to see another small-time kickstarter project has made good on its aims. The game itself though ... the only way I can think to describe it is Dark Souls reimagined as an early NES action platformer. Movement is slow paced and deliberate, you have quite a few attack options including a 360 slash double jump, a Zelda II-esque downwards thrust and a chargable spear throw but the game demands incredibly precise use of all of them, if you get cocky even for a second you're probably going to get killed, or at the very least lose most of your power-ups (because you lose armour, which gives a hit-point and an upgraded ability on hit) in which case you'll probably die anyway because you just lost your Flaming Sword or your shield. Oh and of course there's no save system of any kind, so you have to complete the entire game in one sitting. If you can stomach that though, it's pretty fun in ultra-retro 'prepare to die a loving ton' kinda way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Another small project that's about to make it is Spud's Quest. It's been delayed a little while, but the creator says it should be out tomorrow when he gets back from his holidays.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Verdugo posted:

Wasn't one of those guys a goon? I have no idea if he still posts here, but I'm glad I decided against backing it now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Wasn't one of those guys a goon? I have no idea if he still posts here, but I'm glad I decided against backing it now.

Yeah, I actually posted a call-out to him a few months back to see what the hell was going on but he never replied. The project creator posted this in the comments section last week, but at this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

quote:

Hey everyone, been quite sometime. Things are finally picking my friends as I hired a new pixel artist!

She had past commitments but they are more or less rounding up. I've been throwing a few small tasks at her throughout August and really feel that she's a perfect addition to our team.

This was really necessary, I've been canvasing available pixel artists for hire for months but could not find a suitable candidate.

Our greatest concern was animations as that process has been painfully slow. We can finally start putting the game together in a playable fashion. This is possible because we have a committed team member working on animations alone now.

Our next update will come soon. You'll be introduced to our 4th playable character as well filled in our short and long term goals. The sprites for these characters will also be posted shortly afterwards.

@Terry Carter

We can definitely do bi-weekly updates. You can expect it, however big or small.

Until next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You never can tell with these things. I though that Sealark (by far the most risky thing I've backed) was dead for a while, then the creator put out a big update talking about the systems she's been implementing. She just updates massively intermittently. Could be that Rainfall's in a similar situation, and it's still chugging along behind the scenes.