Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Because they are drastically different mediums. You pace them in different ways, you provide information in different ways. Comics is a very visual medium. You can do in a single panel what can take you pages in a novel. Novels have a much higher emphasis on prose, while with comics dialogue and the use of panels is significantly much more important.

You do not write for comics the same way you write novels, and being good at one does not mean you are good at the other. Or any other combination thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think his outrage was in reference to the "le" you dropped in your post and not the fact that you dread playing through DA2.

Someone obviously missed out on Looney Tunes growing up, then.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

SurrealityCheck posted:

I wonder how real time the dodging in this is. It looks like they have made the real time stuff more real time than DA2 and the tactical stuff more tactical than DA2 (not hugely hard).
The recent RPS interview answered this one. If you are running un-paused, you dodge by hitting a key and moving in a direction to dodge. If you are paused, you activate the "dodge" ability, which presents you with a little aoe-like positioning circle that lets you pick where you dodge to once you unpause. It sounds like they may also bake dodging into some of the skills, like the backflip ability rogues got in DAII.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The thing that surprises me most is people in this thread and the last have been relatively complementary toward Asunder. After seeing some absolutely dreadful panels from the comics, I expected the novels to be just as bad, if not worse.

Because Asunder is actually fairly decent. It does focus on a mage vs. templar conflict, but it presents both sides as actual people with their own opinions of the situation and gives some actual reasons why the situation broke into conflict that doesn't fall back onto the old crutch of blood magic or demons (there's only one of each and neither had a direct role in causing the conflict). It also hinted that the conflict was instigated by an external player, most likely one of the many backstabbing nobles in Orlais vying for the throne, meaning that a perfectly normal schemer actually does influence matters.

Moreso, it seems to realize just how ridiculous the whole situation in DAII was and only references it rarely and just as one of many causes for the eventual war. Even the most freedom demanding of mages calls Anders a madman and idiot.

tldr: Asunder was DAII's premise done right.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Geostomp posted:

Moreso, it seems to realize just how ridiculous the whole situation in DAII was and only references it rarely and just as one of many causes for the eventual war. Even the most freedom demanding of mages calls Anders a madman and idiot.

I thought that was interesting, given that Gaider was the writer. It might hint at some of the internal dynamics at Bioware.You wouldn't tend to poo poo over your previous work in a book you're writing without good reason. Makes me think that perhaps something happened during the writing of that game that he wasn't particularly happy about.

Edit: I'm willing to admit that that might be reading too much though. 'Gaider's giving us all secret messages through his books, man. Can't you see it?' :tinfoil:

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 13, 2013

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Quite honestly it’s just that the Templar vs. Mages conflict is the least interesting take Bioware could’ve taken the story. It’s like a copy-paste conflict derivative of a hundred other sci-fi/fantasy sources. The thing is, the main conflict with Loghain in Origins was far more original and well-done which is why it’s just a bland thing to default to in the sequel. Especially as the whole motivation for Loghain’s betrayal wasn’t beaten into you, but rather carefully teased out over the course of the game through Ferelden's history and your personal interactions with him if he joins your party:

Basically, Loghain never has a twist style super-villian plot reveal. Historically, Grey Wardens had been used as pawns to subjegate Ferelden, and Loghain fears the same thing this time around even though the threat of Blight is far more pressing.

He’s basically a general fighting the last war, and that’s a way less cliche and far more interesting story than Templar vs. Mages.

Personally, I hope for DAIII they kinda just use the Mage/Templar conflict as a passive setting unlike DAII, and have you basically trying to operate your own agenda within the war instead of doing some dumb Let’s-choose-a-side nonsense.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

GhostBoy posted:

The recent RPS interview answered this one. If you are running un-paused, you dodge by hitting a key and moving in a direction to dodge. If you are paused, you activate the "dodge" ability, which presents you with a little aoe-like positioning circle that lets you pick where you dodge to once you unpause. It sounds like they may also bake dodging into some of the skills, like the backflip ability rogues got in DAII.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Thundercracker posted:

Quite honestly it’s just that the Templar vs. Mages conflict is the least interesting take Bioware could’ve taken the story. It’s like a copy-paste conflict derivative of a hundred other sci-fi/fantasy sources. The thing is, the main conflict with Loghain in Origins was far more original and well-done which is why it’s just a bland thing to default to in the sequel. Especially as the whole motivation for Loghain’s betrayal wasn’t beaten into you, but rather carefully teased out over the course of the game through Ferelden's history and your personal interactions with him if he joins your party:

Basically, Loghain never has a twist style super-villian plot reveal. Historically, Grey Wardens had been used as pawns to subjegate Ferelden, and Loghain fears the same thing this time around even though the threat of Blight is far more pressing.

He’s basically a general fighting the last war, and that’s a way less cliche and far more interesting story than Templar vs. Mages.

Personally, I hope for DAIII they kinda just use the Mage/Templar conflict as a passive setting unlike DAII, and have you basically trying to operate your own agenda within the war instead of doing some dumb Let’s-choose-a-side nonsense.

Well, I know they have hinted that there is a greater evil going on in Thedas and we will be uncovering that through the game.

Asunder and DA2 really set up Dragon Age Inquisition to be the templar/mage war, so that really should be the, or a big focus of the next game. Although, I know the next novel "The Masked Empire" deals more with Orlais and court intrigue, so maybe there will be more to it than straight up "pick a side".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In the last two games you get to know the villains pretty early on. You meet Loghain in person and see the Archdemon in your dreams; people talk up Meredith pretty incessantly in Act 1, so when you finally meet her you feel you already know her (and of course you meet the real villain, Anders, pretty much immediately. I wonder if it's going to be the same in DA:I?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 13, 2013

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lotish posted:

In the last two games you get to know the villains pretty early on. You meet Loghain in person and see the Archdemon in your dreams; people talk up Meredith pretty incessantly in Act 1, so when you finally meet her you feel you already know her. I wonder if it's going to be the same in DA:I?

The antagonist sounds like they're going to be a secret puppetmaster starting poo poo behind the scenes so I'm expecting a return to the "Bioware Twist." The bad guy was Cullen all along!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Inquisitor was Revan all along!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The thing that surprises me most is people in this thread and the last have been relatively complementary toward Asunder. After seeing some absolutely dreadful panels from the comics, I expected the novels to be just as bad, if not worse.

None of the novels are great, but they're readable. Asunder seems to have been written after the vibe of the world changed from DAO to DA2; the first two novels are a little more serious, and Asunder has that anime feel that DA2 had. Still though, they're all alright if you're into the setting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

In the last two games you get to know the villains pretty early on. You meet Loghain in person and see the Archdemon in your dreams; people talk up Meredith pretty incessantly in Act 1, so when you finally meet her you feel you already know her (and of course you meet the real villain, Anders, pretty much immediately. I wonder if it's going to be the same in DA:I?

Meredith walks by Hawke shortly before that thief tries to rob him and Varric introduces himself via badass archery (crossbowery? crossbowing?). She is the very first person other than the protagonists you see in Act 1.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know I replayed that section recently and completely forgot that. I may have been hitting the esc key to skip cutscenes...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I decided to look it up to be sure, here in Gharbad's excellent and ongoing SSLP of Dragon Age 2 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559410

And it turns out that you first see the thief, then Meredith comes in and glares at him, she leaves, then Hawke and sibling walk in, talking to Bartrand. So she is the second person that appears in Act 1, and maybe Hawke did not even see her.

They are hinting at someone evil behind the scenes, so I doubt he/she will revealed too soon. The first part of the game will probably focus on gathering forces for the inquisition. As long as there is no bullshit like the Catalyst at the end this might even work.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The evil behind the scenes is literally the Maker himself and he's going to purge the world like he was going to before he married Andraste. It turns out the only way to stop them is to use Andraste's Ashes to resurrect his dead bride as a lyrium ghost who will explain that the cycle of destruction will continue because mages and nonmages cannot coexist. You can choose to make everyone mages, take away all magic from the world by causing all the lyrium to explode, or marry the Maker and create a new world in your own image.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Lotish posted:

The evil behind the scenes is literally the Maker himself and he's going to purge the world like he was going to before he married Andraste. It turns out the only way to stop them is to use Andraste's Ashes to resurrect his dead bride as a lyrium ghost who will explain that the cycle of destruction will continue because mages and nonmages cannot coexist. You can choose to make everyone mages, take away all magic from the world by causing all the lyrium to explode, or marry the Maker and create a new world in your own image.

Can you walk away or shoot the ghost with your crossbow to doom Thedas as a 3rd choice?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Lotish posted:

Yo if I could gay-marry God at the end of this or any game it would be the best loving thing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

I destroyed Andraste's Ashes. Do I get a secret 4th ending, where the Maker wins and we cut to the next time it comes around?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CottonWolf posted:

I destroyed Andraste's Ashes. Do I get a secret 4th ending, where the Maker wins and we cut to the next time it comes around?

No you didn't. There was actually another pile of ashes right behind the one you destroyed, so it all works out just fine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

Choice quotes:

That Torment namedrop is hilariously hamfisted.

You can describe both cocaine and chalk as "a white, powdery substance." This doesn't mean they both have the same effects. Pointing out the superficial similarities between both games really doesn't make them alike in any way.

I mean, the games both kill someone at/before the beginning of the game. BUT YOU ACTUALLY GIVE A poo poo IN PS:T.

(also, did they even play PS:T? At all? Ignus wasn't constantly screaming in pain. He loving loved being constantly on fire.)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Epi Lepi posted:

Yo if I could gay-marry God at the end of this or any game it would be the best loving thing.

You can't gay marry a god, no one ever marries in the Dragon Age franchise!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Epi Lepi posted:

The Maker is actually gay. Andraste was just his beard. DA III will actually be an incredibly tortured metaphor for coming out.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

The Maker is actually gay. Andraste was just his beard. DA III will actually be an incredibly tortured metaphor for coming out.

You're making this overly complicated. The maker is a woman. Andraste is still the Maker's bride.
DA3 will end with a love triangle where Inquisitor and Andraste compete for the Maker's affections.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mymla posted:

You're making this overly complicated. The maker is a woman. Andraste is still the Maker's bride.
DA3 will end with a love triangle where Inquisitor and Andraste compete for the Maker's affections.

No, clearly with the Fade torn open the PC will begin the final battle charging into the Fade fighting off legions of demons getting ever closer to the Black City finally reaching the throne room where a decrepit corpse is sitting on a throne, and you can either destroy both the throne and the corpse, yank the corpse off and take the throne for yourself, or sacrifice yourself to restore the Maker. Andraste will either be the final boss or the ghost that informs you of your choices and what might happen for each.

The 3 final choice thing is a Bioware required ending hook by this point. There's no way the DA series doesn't end without something similar.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I'm hoping it's revealed that Andraste was a mage and the Maker was a demon.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Midnight Voyager posted:

(also, did they even play PS:T? At all? Ignus wasn't constantly screaming in pain. He loving loved being constantly on fire.)

Did he? He only joins you after you give him the endless flask of water (which he empties) to put himself out for a little while and seemed relieved about it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darkrenown posted:

Did he? He only joins you after you give him the endless flask of water (which he empties) to put himself out for a little while and seemed relieved about it.

Nah dude's basically in a trance where he loves being on fire. For him that's a show of his power. You use the jug to snap him into a moment of clarity where he recognizes you as his (former) master. Then he swears fealty to you and joins your party.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Darkrenown posted:

That's more just to get his attention really. He's cool with joining his old teacher to go burn some mothers down, but he's too busy checking out how awesome being a living conduit to the plane of fire is to realize anyone's talking to him. He's batshit crazy, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On the subject of that interview from Thursday that I didn't notice until now...

quote:

RPS: Given that Varric and Cassandra are party members, I’m assuming Inquisition isn’t terribly far removed from Dragon Age 2′s timeline. For you guys, is there ever an interest in going beyond that point in the Dragon Age world and saying, “Okay, we’ve seen this place. We’ve seen what it’s like at this particular time. Let’s go into the future. Let’s go into the past”?

Laidlaw: I would almost say it’s a classic fantasy temptation. From there, there’s an enormously slippery slope which leads to cogs and large goggles. That’s cool. That’s a neat thing to do and it’s one way to take a franchise. But in our case, any time I’m asked that, I tend to say to myself, “What’s Minrathous like? What’s the capital of the Tevinter Empire like?” I’m kind of curious to find out.

Hell yeah. I want to personally burn the whole place to the ground.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
If I remember correctly, he was screaming in pain but he enjoyed it at the same time.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

If I remember correctly, he was screaming in pain but he enjoyed it at the same time.

And people say Bioware's games are too kinky... :smug:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stroth posted:

That's more just to get his attention really. He's cool with joining his old teacher to go burn some mothers down, but he's too busy checking out how awesome being a living conduit to the plane of fire is to realize anyone's talking to him. He's batshit crazy, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all.

Yeah, he actually says that there is so much pain that there is no pain and that he is happy for the first time. The irony in his punishment for his crimes is that he loves the hell out of it. He has trouble speaking, what with the... melting body problems, but you don't just walk up to him and he screams at you and you shrug and walk off. You have several conversations from him and even learn some things from him. And he's a walking (floating) reminder of the human wreckage you've left across the planes.

He's not just "screaming man on fire XTREEEEME." There's a greater purpose to his character, even if he is "just" a burning psychopath. His story is also interesting and sympathetic, even if he is completely beyond redemption and the greatest kindness you could do for him and the world is to kill him.

TLDR: Laidlaw took the entirely wrong thing away from the fact that PS:T is weird, what else is new.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Kind of a recurring thing for Planescape Torment characters. Annah's relationship with Pharod, Grace's whole weird backstory and the thing with Vrischika, etc. "Ignus was constantly suffering" and "Ignus was having the time of his life" are both true statements.

Though, yeah, I wish there was a lot more stuff for that guy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Leelee posted:

Well, I know they have hinted that there is a greater evil going on in Thedas and we will be uncovering that through the game.

That's going to be Flemeth. They've been building that up and no matter how silly, that's going to be it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

evilmiera posted:

That's going to be Flemeth. They've been building that up and no matter how silly, that's going to be it.

Yeah, there's no way they're going to let Flemeth be anything other than vitally important to the plot. They went to all that trouble to railroad the player into resurrecting her in the last game.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

Leelee posted:

I'm hoping it's revealed that Andraste was a mage and the Maker was a demon.

I've always liked the idea that Andraste was just a super powerful mage and all ~the Maker's miracles~ were just her doing mage-y things.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah, there's no way they're going to let Flemeth be anything other than vitally important to the plot. They went to all that trouble to railroad the player into resurrecting her in the last game.

Calling it here: Flemeth is Andraste or the Maker. (I'm gonna assume Andraste.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Calling it here: Flemeth is Andraste or the Maker. (I'm gonna assume Andraste.)

She's going to have some connection to the old gods. She'll probably be the source of the infodump at the halfway-2/3rds of the way through the game where you discover that everything you think you know is wrong and the darkspawn were original army that existed to fight off any future demon invasion from the fade until someone/thing corrupted them and set them against the population of Thedas.

Based on Bioware's track record there are maybe 3-4 major plot developments they will use that anyone familiar with their games will see coming from a mile away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I just want to state for the record that Leelee is a dick for making that Inquisition song get stuck in my head every time I see the thread title.

you're not a dick

no you really are

EDIT for content: Flemeth turning out to be Andraste and/or the Maker would be a stunt I'd expect. Given all the clever ideas floating around Bioware these days, however, I'm going to assume instead that she singlehandedly possessed every mage that went batshit, is actually Justice, and that the name 'Justice' was just a cute joke because :ironicat:

We should really just start a betting pool for this.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 15, 2013

• Locked thread