Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I have a question: I'm going to be doing SLAMMED!, the wrestling CYOA from Choice of Games in a few weeks (someone's running it in PSP and I want to wait til he's done), and I was wondering how you guys think I should do the choices. There are a few choices that don't matter, so these are my three questions:

1) For the choices that matter, should I set a time limit or first to 5 or what for the votes?

2) For the choices that don't actually matter, should I let people vote or should I just pick one myself, or should I just let the first responder select it or something?

3) The game generally doesn't explain the wrestling terms, assuming the audience knows the phraseology. Should I define wrestling terms as I go along(either in text or at the end of the post), or should I put a general dictionary in the second post?

I'll throw a sample OP in here before I start the thread, but I wanted to get suggestions on this first.
edit:

Niggurath posted:

^^^^^^^
I assume you meant that to me directed at skoolmunkee

Yeah. I was scrolling down really fast on that.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
^^^^^^^
I assume you meant that to me directed at skoolmunkee

In regards to the description on your video, the black bars on the side are just from your video being 4:3 aspect ration and not really something to worry about (especially if the game itself doesn't support a wide screen resolution). The game does definitely have an interesting art style when you see it in motion and the dialogue is so stilted that it's a shame that it won't be shown off, but the game also seems to move like molasses so I understand showing it off in screenshots.

Otherwise the one thing that jumps out is during the conversation is all the italic text for the other person talking or is that something else? If it's the same person talking then you could probably use the portrait next to the dialogue...if it's something else then I'm just confused.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 12, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

First up, use the SSLP test poster to keep the massive dump out of the thread.

Apart from that, it looks like you're not using portraits for a lot of the dialogue. Italics are a nice idea, and it does help shrink the update a little, but I'd use portraits for every line, and at the very least put a space between the lines. Myself, I'd rather keep italics for if I want to make a comment mid conversation. It seems like some of the conversations are pretty long, and I don't know the game but you might want to occasionally point something out to the reader.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

MooCowlian posted:

First up, use the SSLP test poster to keep the massive dump out of the thread.

Apart from that, it looks like you're not using portraits for a lot of the dialogue. Italics are a nice idea, and it does help shrink the update a little, but I'd use portraits for every line, and at the very least put a space between the lines. Myself, I'd rather keep italics for if I want to make a comment mid conversation. It seems like some of the conversations are pretty long, and I don't know the game but you might want to occasionally point something out to the reader.

Thanks for that link, I didn't think a huge text post would be good but I wasn't sure what to do. I've made one there and edited my post!

I think the dialogue formatting is what I'm most uncertain about. I had images for each line at first, but a friend suggested the reduced pictures/italics... which I wasn't completely happy with either, but I had to pick one for the test post. So here's what the two look like during some typical batches of dialogue: (should I move this to a test post page too?)

That's an impressive old train.
Old, sir? It may be lacking a little polish, here and there, but this old girl hasn't let us down yet.
The tourists must love it, And your outfit.
Outfit, sir?
I see. Re-enactment, or something?
You've lost me, Mr. Danvers. Was there something else?

Did you see anybody else board the train at London?
Only you... and the young lady.
Young lady? A girl?
Yes, that's right. Unless I've been getting it wrong all these years.
Where did she get off?
Well, here of course. Sedgemarsh.
Where did she go? I've seen no other passengers.
Through the fens, I'm guessing. Fancy your chances, do you?
I resent that remark.
Do you now. Well, that's interesting.

Have we been here long? It was midnight when we left London.
No, we've just arrived. Bang on time.
There's nothing here! What am I supposed to do?
Maybe sir should have thought about that before boarding. Ususally, out of flood season, we would continue on... but, the spring tides flood the fens, meaning Sedgemarsh is our last stop.
What time does the train leave?
No passengers for the return journey.
What?! You can hardly leave me here!
You'd rather end up at the terminus, sir?
I'll return, shortly.
Very well, Mr. Danvers.

---
or this way
---

That's an impressive old train.
Old, sir? It may be lacking a little polish, here and there, but this old girl hasn't let us down yet.
The tourists must love it, And your outfit.
Outfit, sir?
I see. Re-enactment, or something?
You've lost me, Mr. Danvers. Was there something else?

Did you see anybody else board the train at London?
Only you... and the young lady.
Young lady? A girl?
Yes, that's right. Unless I've been getting it wrong all these years.
Where did she get off?
Well, here of course. Sedgemarsh.
Where did she go? I've seen no other passengers.
Through the fens, I'm guessing. Fancy your chances, do you?
I resent that remark.
Do you now. Well, that's interesting.

Have we been here long? It was midnight when we left London.
No, we've just arrived. Bang on time.
There's nothing here! What am I supposed to do?
Maybe sir should have thought about that before boarding. Ususally, out of flood season, we would continue on... but, the spring tides flood the fens, meaning Sedgemarsh is our last stop.
What time does the train leave?
No passengers for the return journey.
What?! You can hardly leave me here!
You'd rather end up at the terminus, sir?
I'll return, shortly.
Very well, Mr. Danvers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd prefer the former; that way, you could use italics to indicate emphasis or thoughts.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Definitely go with the pictures. The moment any conversation requires a third input, be it another person, your own thoughts/fanfictiony additions or something on screen that doesn't necessarily require a screenshot, you'll run into trouble.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

One more suggestion for the pictures. The italicized version is less easy to read.

chiasaur11 posted:

Flesh is not strong. Let's play [Fallout Tactics]!

The writing's amusing. You've got a bunch of redundant images though - the section where Roger's checking the Pipboy has like four instances of what look like the exact same image in a row. They've got different file numbers, but I can't see any difference between them. If there is something on them that you're trying to show, you might want to point it out.

One of your [img] tags is broken.

Near the end, you've got two shots of debriefing that show the same text, but no shot that shows the text that needs scrolling down.

biosterous fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 12, 2013

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Thanks for the input on the test post! It sounds like there's no other real issues so I guess I'm ready to make my thread later today. :]

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Hey all,

I typically don't post about Retsupurae here, but the last time we did a crowd-source style video making fun of Pewdiepie, we got a lot of neat submissions... and a couple goons mentioned they hadn't known about it, so I wanted to give people a chance to come in if they wanted.

This time around:

DarkSydePhil is a popular Let's Player whose gimmick is failing at games at a fundamental level, and constantly blaming the game while mostly recording off a digital camera. I think it's better to show you this RP idea than just tell you, but the elevator pitch is:

DarkSydePhil in Real Life

Prototype video I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-7Bkfl9ndA

Like "Adults React to Pewdiepie", we're hoping to get fan submissions here. This joke might wear out quick, so we may only end up accepting very few.

Guidelines:

1. E-mail your submission to slowbeef@gmail.com - don't forget to include how you'd like to be credited!

2. If you're going to parody something more specific about Phil rather than "I suck but it's the game's fault!!!!!" please include a link to one of his videos and a timecode - I can include that in the video so it's clear what you're making fun of.

3. Keep it relatively brief - a minute is probably absolute maximum, unless you come up with something hysterical

4. Watch out for YouTube's terms of service - we don't want DSP fans flagging the video due to bongs or anything like that. Apparently liquor's off-limits too, but if you have a really funny idea, I can work with it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

chiasaur11 posted:

Wait. If everything is up for voting, how's there a demo post?

Like so.

I rather like Fallout Tactics, and I even suggested a narrative LP of this sort (writing actual personalities and dialog for the various random recruits) but:

You're not really funny or interesting, and the "one screenshot, one line of jokey dialog" format is semi-obsolete for a reason - it's a chore to read through, particularly when it's not funny.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

slowbeef posted:

DSP Jokes

I hope someone does a video about USB devices and how some setups need you to flip them around and bitch about how you can't even fit it in the way you were doing it for X amount of years :allears:

(Then make mention that someone told you how to do what you're trying to do from a stream chat)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

slowbeef posted:

Prototype video I made:

Like "Adults React to Pewdiepie", we're hoping to get fan submissions here. This joke might wear out quick, so we may only end up accepting very few.

So pretty much face cams only submissions I take it?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zain posted:

So pretty much face cams only submissions I take it?

Sounds like the idea is to film yourself being terrible at something in real life (the more banal the better) and griping about it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

slowbeef posted:

1. E-mail your submission to slowbeef@gmail.com - don't forget to include how you'd like to be credited!
I'm dumb and not totally clear on what this entails.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Sounds like you could just copy any infomercial ever and do an extra whiny voice over.

What is this? Why is this burrito so hard?!
I-I can't use this. It doesn't hold my food at all.
An-and what do I do with the sharp bits?
Do I jam into the soft tissue in my mouth?
Oh god, it hurts and is red. I just don't get it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cheez posted:

I'm dumb and not totally clear on what this entails.

"Call me Tommy, here's a link to a download site with my submission" most likely.

Edit: maybe I missed the joke here.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 13, 2013

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

slowbeef posted:

Hey all,

I typically don't post about Retsupurae here, but the last time we did a crowd-source style video making fun of Pewdiepie, we got a lot of neat submissions... and a couple goons mentioned they hadn't known about it, so I wanted to give people a chance to come in if they wanted.

This time around:

DarkSydePhil is a popular Let's Player whose gimmick is failing at games at a fundamental level, and constantly blaming the game while mostly recording off a digital camera. I think it's better to show you this RP idea than just tell you, but the elevator pitch is:

Prototype video I made:

Guidelines:

2. If you're going to parody something more specific about Phil rather than "I suck but it's the game's fault!!!!!" please include a link to one of his videos and a timecode - I can include that in the video so it's clear what you're making fun of.

3. Keep it relatively brief - a minute is probably absolute maximum, unless you come up with something hysterical

4. Watch out for YouTube's terms of service - we don't want DSP fans flagging the video due to bongs or anything like that. Apparently liquor's off-limits too, but if you have a really funny idea, I can work with it.

All submissions ought to be in black and white like that weird reality in commercials where even the most basic of tasks is the bane of your existence.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oh goodie I got about a dozen ideas I can do about Phill. Can I submit multiple videos? By the way, I wouldn't worry about having the video flagged, he has nowhere near the level pull with youtube that pewdiepie did.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 13, 2013

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

VivaVizer posted:

Sounds like you could just copy any infomercial ever and do an extra whiny voice over.

Why can't I fit this pizza into the toaster? It just doesn't work!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

VivaVizer posted:

"Why the gently caress does the "A" key give me an "a"? This poo poo makes NO sense! Like what the gently caress? I press the "A" key, and I should get an "A" on the screen but no! It pulls this bullshit and gives me an "a"! Hmm. The stream's telling me that if I hold down the "SHIFT" key I can get an "A". WAIT WHAT THE gently caress IT WORKED? HOW THE gently caress WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW I COULD DO THAT? loving DELL, NEVER EXPLAINING THINGS! How was I supposed to know? It's not like it says it on the keyboard or screen or anything."

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

slowbeef posted:

This is the perfect time for some ChippoWai action.

Anyways here's my test post for a Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow LP. I've never done any audio mixing before, so I have no idea if I did right or not.

When He Morphs Into A Ninja, You Better Duck. Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow

What is Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow?

Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow, originally titled Donald in Maui Mallard, is an action platformer developed by Disney Interactive for the SEGA Mega Drive in 1995, and was only released in Europe and Brazil. The game was remade for the Super Nintendo one year later by Eurocom, and was the only console release in North America. The Mega Drive version was also brought over to North America on the PC with updated graphics and soundtrack around the same time as the SNES game. Two years later, Bonsai Entertainment made an attempt to bring the game to the GameBoy, and it sure was poo poo something.

The Story

Detective Maui Mallard was visiting a tropical island for vacation when the Shabuhm Shabuhm idol goes missing. Shabuhm Shabuhm is considered the island's native guardian spirit, and unless the idol is recovered, the whole island will explode. With Mallard on the case, his investigations will take him to numerous places like a spooky mansion and the boiling bowels of a active volcano.

The LP

This will be an informative LP that will come in two parts. The first part will have the SNES run and some pages from the manual for favor text. The second part will have the Mega Drive run of the game that shows off the differences between the two versions, and some tracks from the amazing PC soundtrack.

The Videos

Level 1 Mojo Mansion (Super Nintendo)

Level 1 Mojo Mansion (Mega Drive)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 13, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You sound as though you're about to cry when you ask why there's no more water and it's really stressing me out. Please don't cry. :(

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Combat Lobster posted:

Typical informative solo simple'n'short lp. Well done, I like it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Combat Lobster posted:

Anyways here's my test post for a Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow LP. I've never done any audio mixing before, so I have no idea if I did right or not.

When He Morphs Into A Ninja, You Better Duck. Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow

How funny. I was just thinking about this game the other day, trying to remember what the hell it was called, and wondering if anyone had LPd it!

I didn't see any glaring issues. I think you're good to go, and I'll definitely watch it!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

slowbeef posted:

Sounds like you could just do VA over the following:

As Seen on TV - a tribute to doing it wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08xQLGWTSag

and the "Where Did The Soda Go" subreddit
http://thefw.com/infomercial-fail-gif/

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
What is the copyright side of that though? Are infomercial footages even copyrighted or whatever?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nobody is going to call copyright on infomercial footage.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody is going to call copyright on infomercial footage.

They'd try but when they go to type up an email to file a complaint they just smash the keys and drool on themselves.

Then when that doesn't work they'd try to pick up the phone with their feet while taking a shower.

A man will be filming this with an ancient camera that lacks color.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Phantasium posted:

They'd try but when they go to type up an email to file a complaint they just smash the keys and drool on themselves.

Then when that doesn't work they'd try to pick up the phone with their feet while taking a shower.

Meanwhile this guy is watching and laughing.

And this guy is listening and laughing.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Phantasium posted:

I like the one where the guy screams in pain when he stabs himself with a Q-Tip.

Also, sent a few videos in too. Wouldn't want to miss being "sued".

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
"I can't go to these places!"
Amazing

So you're telling me I can make an rear end out of myself and get sued?
Of course I'm submitting something.

Depending on when the deadline is I have so many more idiotic ideas to get mad at basic tasks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Prototype video I made:

...this is amazing. Ha ha ha.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

slowbeef posted:

Hey all,

This time around:

Prototype video I made:

Guidelines:

I need to find my ball-peen hammer, I think it's in storage somewhere here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

I need to find my ball-peen hammer, I think it's in storage somewhere here.

Uh-oh, are you proposing a comedy sketch where you hit yourself on the hand several time? Ouch....

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

Uh-oh, are you proposing a comedy sketch where you hit yourself on the hand several time? Ouch....

I really like Retsuprae. I am not going to injure myself for Retsuprae. Besides, I don't want to see them getting flagged or anything.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Three-Phase posted:

I really like Retsuprae. I am not going to injure myself for Retsuprae. Besides, I don't want to see them getting flagged or anything.

Well that would be fine, but I suggest you don't attempt to make a mallet into a pipe.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

I really like Retsuprae.

Not enough to get the name right! :argh:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Slide to unlock was the best!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

slowbeef posted:

Oh hell. RET-SU-PURAE. There we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

slowbeef posted:

You guys got a shout out on a rooster teeth video. You're real big time now. just wait until you're doing stuff with mega64

by the way they reference a video with proteus so he's probably really irritated about something and doesn't know why

• Locked thread