Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Well, that actually was a completely new recipe for me, gonna try it one day. Not the gnocchi, I can get them for pretty cheap at the supermarket, but the chicken parm.

Also, voting for tempura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Chalk up another vote for tempura. I really need to start loosening my taste buds and try making some of these recipes for myself. And have the patience to get the ingredients together and cook.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

A Memorable Name posted:

Spanish Fly has been considered an aphrodisiac for a very long time worldwide and it's just a crushed up beetle that can kill you if you eat too much of it. Some people get really weird with that poo poo and they should probably stick to chocolate, or maybe normal people methods of getting laid.

Yes but can the number one hit single Spanish Flea be considered an aphrodisiac please get back to me asap

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mico posted:

Yes but can the number one hit single Spanish Flea be considered an aphrodisiac please get back to me asap

well we know what's going on the next video's soundtrack...

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mico posted:

I dare you to put nothing BUT Spanish Flea on while making the gyoza. Hell, even during the gameplay.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
One of my favorite "Celebrity" chefs makes Gnocchi Al Forno. Very delicious stuff!

Mico I can take this down if you don't like it.

Edit: I hope you upgraded your masher to one of these.

It's the only masher worth a poo poo.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 15, 2013

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Mico posted:

The results of the clinical trails won't be here for a few weeks.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Dickey Butts posted:

Edit: I hope you upgraded your masher to one of these.

It's the only masher worth a poo poo.

Coincidentally I did.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

ChaosArgate posted:

How!? That stuff sounds like the stuff of nightmares! :stonk:

Fun fact: It is also illegal in Sardinia. Tells you something when you can describe it as, "this is a traditional dish of my people, don't tell the cops we have this."

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Well, just gave chicken parmigiana a go (with a homemade sauce, because I couldn't be bothered to go to the shops and buy some) and it came out great; loving delicious. Also I used Doritos instead of bread crumbs. I don't think it made much of a difference to the taste in the end. Thanks for making it clear how simple it was to make something like that; typically the thing that stops me (and, I suspect, most people) from trying to cook new things is the idea that it's going to be incredibly difficult.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

frozentreasure posted:

Well, just gave chicken parmigiana a go (with a homemade sauce, because I couldn't be bothered to go to the shops and buy some) and it came out great; loving delicious. Also I used Doritos instead of bread crumbs. I don't think it made much of a difference to the taste in the end. Thanks for making it clear how simple it was to make something like that; typically the thing that stops me (and, I suspect, most people) from trying to cook new things is the idea that it's going to be incredibly difficult.

We have truly hit peak goon cooking everybody.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It was more out of necessity than anything; I didn't have any bread crumbs available.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

It was more out of necessity than anything; I didn't have any bread crumbs available.

You should have used dried bread or something to make them. Doritos as breadcrumbs? :barf:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Just set some bread out on the counter for like an hour then grind it up in a food processor.

At least you made your own sauce. :shobon:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Shrimp Gyoza because I need to learn how to make it for reasons unrelated to this thread and this is the easiest way other than the effort of looking up a recipe.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Genocyber posted:

You should have used dried bread or something to make them. Doritos as breadcrumbs? :barf:

What I think you meant to say was use corn flakes as breadcrumbs always and forever. :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Using things like chips or cereal as a breadcrumb crust only sound gross until you try it. Though I'd be real hesitant for Doritos myself. That strong "nacho" cheese flavor would be a bit of a distraction. One thing I'm actually really interested to try, and might when I get around to this recipe, is that Lay's has this new flavor of potato chip that won a contest, a cheesy garlic bread flavor. It tastes pretty much like what it says it is, and I think this would work great as a crust over a chicken Parmesan. The other flavors, Sriracha, and a chicken and waffles flavor, both sound like things I wouldn't want to try regardless.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Using things like chips or cereal as a breadcrumb crust only sound gross until you try it. Though I'd be real hesitant for Doritos myself. That strong "nacho" cheese flavor would be a bit of a distraction. One thing I'm actually really interested to try, and might when I get around to this recipe, is that Lay's has this new flavor of potato chip that won a contest, a cheesy garlic bread flavor. It tastes pretty much like what it says it is, and I think this would work great as a crust over a chicken Parmesan. The other flavors, Sriracha, and a chicken and waffles flavor, both sound like things I wouldn't want to try regardless.

Chicken and waffles was meh, but I loved me some Sriracha chips. Of course, anything I tend to like loses in contests so....

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Choco1980 posted:

Using things like chips or cereal as a breadcrumb crust only sound gross until you try it. Though I'd be real hesitant for Doritos myself. That strong "nacho" cheese flavor would be a bit of a distraction.

That might be true normally, but your average tomato sauce is pretty good at overwhelming any other flavor foolish enough to rear its head, so Doritos aren't the worst idea for chicken Parmesan. It's still significantly more greasy than normal breadcrumbs, though.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Nice LP Mico! I've never liked Quiche because I've ever only had the shop-bought ones; but the one that you made seems very nice, so I'll have to try making it soon!

Since this is apparently also a cooking stories thread; I've going to share my Borscht story. When I was in Lithuania, I fell in love which their version (Šaltibarščiai); so I thought that I'd try making it when I got back; and today, I did this:

Its a cold soup, which is different to the Ukranian/Russian one that's in cooking mama in almost every way. It uses beetroots as a main ingredient; but the other ingredients are completely different and very strange (I've never heard of eggs in soup before...) Its not perfect - next time I'm probably going to try it with slightly less beetroot (all the recipes in English on the internet are a bit crap because they don't say how much the recipe is meant to be for; so I probably used a little too much); and I had to use buttermilk instead of kefir because kefir is very hard to find in Scotland. It is nice though; and I'd recommend it if you like borscht or similar things - it is quite a bit different though!

(The recipe I mostly used is here; but I used a few recipes that are written in Lithuanian to clarify a few things. That's far too much for one person though - I've still got half a bowl left after serving three portions of it!)

e: Also; I'm voting for Tempura for next time; because I think deep fried shrimp is the one deep-fried thing we don't have in Scotland...

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 15, 2013

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Thanks so much for the Borscht recipe, my girlfriend and myself have been fiending for the stuff ever since the borscht-chat came up in the thread. Totally trying this out.

Oh, and not that the competition is close, but voting Gyoza

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

People posted:

Use X instead of Doritos for bread crumbs

When I said I didn't have any bread crumbs available, I mean I didn't have any available. I'm restocking on practically everything today.

Choco1980 posted:

That strong "nacho" cheese flavor would be a bit of a distraction.

Nope. Like I said, virtually no flavour once they were fried. But then, I did overdo them a little. If you're concerned about the cheese flavour, just get plain corn chips.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
We're pretty much just making fun of you because, you know, doritos. Any crumbly dry thing works (corn flakes, bread, chips, saltines).

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Gyoza, because it sounds interesting.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

We're pretty much just making fun of you because, you know, doritos. Any crumbly dry thing works (corn flakes, bread, chips, saltines).

Honestly, yes, but doubly so for saltines, they work really loving well.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Oyster crackers, maybe. Extra crispy, but not too salty...

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Hey weird question but does anyone have an all recipes unlocked save file for cooking mama 3? I swear I cannot find one online to save my life and I can't do a bonus video about baking your own bread without it.

I mean I guess I could just play CM3 and unlock all the recipes normally but that takes too long.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Are you implying that playing through the game itself isn't much fun? I guess that's not surprising.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Six Of Spades posted:

Are you implying that playing through the game itself isn't much fun? I guess that's not surprising.

Well when you're playing with an emulator and have to use your mouse to simulate touching the screen, I can't imagine it being too much fun.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Whenever I want to play an emulated DS game with heavy touch controls, I just use my art tablet. Works pretty great.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

ChaosArgate posted:

Well when you're playing with an emulator and have to use your mouse to simulate touching the screen, I can't imagine it being too much fun.

Well, I mean the whole touch-minigame thing got played out after Wario Ware Touched and Another Code/Trace Memory, y'know? It would be better if Cooking Mama had additional stuff like additional information/history facts about the dishes or ingredients, but going by these videos (and the teeny bit of Cooking Mama... 2? I played myself), that never really happens.

There's only so much simulated chopping any human can stand.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Six Of Spades posted:

Well, I mean the whole touch-minigame thing got played out after Wario Ware Touched and Another Code/Trace Memory, y'know? It would be better if Cooking Mama had additional stuff like additional information/history facts about the dishes or ingredients, but going by these videos (and the teeny bit of Cooking Mama... 2? I played myself), that never really happens.

There's only so much simulated chopping any human can stand.

Keep in mind, this game is made purely for the causal audience. They tend to not tire of gimmicks because they don't see it enough. Thus an occasional game with simulated chopping and stirring won't get old for many of them. For people who play games routinely, the gimmick tires out much faster because it's everywhere.

That being said, I wouldn't mind more of a learning experience in more games.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Gyoza wins by nearly twice the number of votes. I expect to record on Tuesday.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Fried Shrimp Gyozas

Gyoza wrappers (available at your local asian grocery store)
Butter
Cabbage
Shrimp
Garlic
Vegetable oil for frying
Water

Defrost, Devein (if necesarry) and Peel the shrimp
Fry the shrimp, cabbage, and garlic in the butter for 5-7 minutes on medium-high heat.
Smash into a fine paste in your local mini food chopper
Put one spoonful on each gyoza wrapper, dip your finger in some water and rub it around the edges of the gyoza wrapper. Fold over and press with a fork to seal.
Set your Deep Fryer to 350° and fry in batches (don't overcrowd the fryer or they will stick together and it'll be bad).
Flip halfway through.
Usually takes 6-7 minutes.
They're done when they're golden brown. Transfer to a plate to let them cool then consume.

Episode Soundtrack:

Dan Deacon - Build Voice
Frank Black - Song of the Shrimp
tUnE-yArDs - Bizness

Here vote on these:

Spaghetti Bolognese
Beef Stew
Meatloaf

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Beef stew, if only because it'll be the longest possible option.

And is it just me, or is the audio really badly clipping?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

frozentreasure posted:

I was getting that too.

Anyway down for meatloaf since I am Australian and what the gently caress is a meatloaf.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

frozentreasure posted:

Beef stew, if only because it'll be the longest possible option.

It's because we experimented with recording LP audio through Mumble's audio recording feature. Not too successful, does take the hassle out of sync and editing audio though.

Also so many people are going to be confused about GOONHOUSE and egg. I do not apologize. Butt egg.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You pre-cooked the filling and then deep fried the jiaozi? :psyduck:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Meatloaf, because I've never seen actually good meatloaf before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Meatloaf because it's really good when prepared well.

• Locked thread