Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ImpAtom posted:

People say this but I really do think it is their nostalgia getting the better of them.

It's really hard to say the HD version looks worse.

Blurriness of SD + CRT makes some games looks more "correct" for lack of a better word... in this case, it helps make the graphics flatter and more cartoony. You can wander over the the Retro games thread and get lots of examples of why older games are not meant to be played on modern systems/televisions.

Not arguing one way or the other, but I can see how people could prefer the original on a CRT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It doesn't look worse, it just has a tendency to look kinda... odd.

I have absolutely no problem with this picture. :confused:

I actually really like the way WWHD is looking so far. The new shaders give the game an almost claymation-esque look, especially when the action takes place outside and during the day.

Of course, I'm going to have to invest €80 into getting the game and the statue, so I better convince myself that it looks good regardless of the truth! :shepspends:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Blurriness of SD + CRT makes some games looks more "correct" for lack of a better word... in this case, it helps make the graphics flatter and more cartoony. You can wander over the the Retro games thread and get lots of examples of why older games are not meant to be played on modern systems/televisions.

Not arguing one way or the other, but I can see how people could prefer the original on a CRT.

I'm well aware, but this is not really a case where I agree in WWHD. They've made pretty significant graphics updates and "well, it looks less cartoony to me" tends to involve cherrypicking certain shots and ignoring that there illusion broke sometimes in the original too. It also is hyper-focused on the character models and ignores the massive improvements made to the background of some areas.

I'm sure there are people who'd rather play the original on a CRT but I think a lot of that would be nostalgia-based, especially when you account for the other upgrades they made to the game, like the Swift Sail or toning down the repetitive animations by a huge degree.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I'm well aware, but this is not really a case where I agree in WWHD. They've made pretty significant graphics updates and "well, it looks less cartoony to me" tends to involve cherrypicking certain shots and ignoring that there illusion broke sometimes in the original too. It also is hyper-focused on the character models and ignores the massive improvements made to the background of some areas.

I'm sure there are people who'd rather play the original on a CRT but I think a lot of that would be nostalgia-based, especially when you account for the other upgrades they made to the game, like the Swift Sail or toning down the repetitive animations by a huge degree.

Eh, not really. The changes in the game's look is significant enough that I'd believe somebody would want to play the original because it really does look better to them, not because of rose tinted glasses making them think it looks better when it isn't. The game looks different now, and it's down to personal preference whether or not it looks better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Eh, not really. The changes in the game's look is significant enough that I'd believe somebody would want to play the original because it really does look better to them, not because of rose tinted glasses making them think it looks better when it isn't. The game looks different now, and it's down to personal preference whether or not it looks better.

There's a whole lot of cherry-picking about how it "just looks like a 3D Zelda game now" which only makes sense to me if you're going off memories of WW instead of replaying it recently. (Because there are a lot of times Wind Waker's "looks like a cartoon" illusion breaks down too.) I don't deny people like the GC version better but I do think a lot of that is based off memories of WW or nostalgia than how the game actually looks.

It does look different and I can understand disliking it for that, but the complaints really do seem to be more along the lines of "it doesn't look like a cartoon anymore" which really does feel like nostalgia from a 10 year old game to me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 16, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I'm just not sure why they couldn't keep the shading flat for the character models. The extra shading ruins the cartoon effect. Don't get me wrong, I think everything else DOES (for the most part) look better.

vs

Its a good game, and everyone who hasn't played it yet should buy it. I just prolly won't until I can get it $20 or less.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 16, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The way that I'm looking at it, WWHD isn't so much trying to emulate the exact style of the original game, but instead is creating its own style. It looks less like a traditionally animated cartoon and more like a Pixar film. As far as I'm concerned, but have their own merits and can exist side-by-side.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm just not sure why they couldn't keep the shading flat for the character models. The extra shading ruins the cartoon effect. Don't get me wrong, I think everything else DOES (for the most part) look better.

vs

Its a good game, and everyone who hasn't played it yet should buy it. I just prolly won't until I can get it $20 or less.

Like I said, the original did that too.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The best part about this discussion is that it's basically the exact same one that was going on before WW came out on the 'cube, which is that people liked the way Zelda looked before, hated the new direction, etc.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

The way that I'm looking at it, WWHD isn't so much trying to emulate the exact style of the original game, but instead is creating its own style. It looks less like a traditionally animated cartoon and more like a Pixar film. As far as I'm concerned, but have their own merits and can exist side-by-side.

I guess that is one way of looking at it. Never thought about it like that. I, personally, still prefer the original style, but I can see that now.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure I remember reading something where Nintendo themselves said they were going for a different look. Whereas the original went for a cartoon aesthetic, this time the target was to look more like a puppet show.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading something where Nintendo themselves said they were going for a different look. Whereas the original went for a cartoon aesthetic, this time the target was to look more like a puppet show.

Personally whenever I look at Link from Wind Waker, HD or SD, all I see is Hermey the Elf.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

gannyGrabber posted:

The best part about this discussion is that it's basically the exact same one that was going on before WW came out on the 'cube, which is that people liked the way Zelda looked before, hated the new direction, etc.

The most current Zelda will always be the most hated and terrible one, especially re-releases. I've seen it happen since Wind Waker.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Edoraz posted:

The most current Zelda will always be the most hated and terrible one, especially re-releases. I've seen it happen since Wind Waker.

Did OoT3D get hate? Maybe before it was released, but everyone I know who owns it loves it. It was a big coup for the 3DS.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Did OoT3D get hate? Maybe before it was released, but everyone I know who owns it loves it. It was a big coup for the 3DS.

Not blurry and ugly enough, severe lack of fog; original is so much better.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I heard some complaints that it was a rather lazy port compared to previous Zelda re-releases (which usually add a new dungeon or something) as well as Star Fox 64-3D (which updated the voices, music and graphics by a noticeable level, added a level select and completely redid the multiplayer mode) which was released at the same time. But overall I think it was still praised.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 16, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

No more pre-rendered Hyrule :(

I felt like such a titan, making the whole town shake just by rolling into the city walls :black101:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

I heard some complaints that it was a rather lazy port compared to previous Zelda re-releases (which usually add a new dungeon or something) as well as Star Fox 64-3D (which updated the voices, music and graphics by a noticeable level, added a level select and completely redid the multiplayer mode) which was released at the same time. But overall I think it was still praised.

Whaaaat? Did these people play the game or even look at screenshots??

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

romanowski posted:

You act like it would matter one way or the other.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Welcome to the Zelda cycle folks. Here's just hoping it doesn't hold enough people back to actually go out and get the game.

...Though admittedly I'm also one of those people who actually only got to play the sequels to Wind Waker, because by the time I realised it existed, I couldn't find it in stores and I wasn't old enough to buy stuff online (legally at any rate). So this is an interesting chance for me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

romanowski posted:

You got the original game AND masterquest (previously a pretty hard to hunt down Gamecube exclusive), animations, textures, music, sound effects etc. were all redone. I don't know what else people would want, that's pretty much as good as a re-release (on a handheld) can get.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Astro Nut posted:

Welcome to the Zelda cycle folks. Here's just hoping it doesn't hold enough people back to actually go out and get the game.

There... is no Zelda cycle. People just like to spout their opinions a lot.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Welp, call me a terrible person but I finally managed to try Xenoblade. I like it, it's good, and god drat did the Wii need RPGs, but after putting about 6ish hours into it I thought "Why am I not playing an MMO instead?"

It pretty much plays exactly like one (Get/kill this many X sidequests and all)without the multiplayer aspect. It's addictive and fun, but so is SWTOR and various other alikes and I can get my lonelier friends to play those with me. I guess I'm just not seeing what the big deal is.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 17, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Bobnumerotres posted:

Welp, call me a terrible person but I finally managed to try Xenoblade. I like it, it's good, and god drat did the Wii need RPGs, but after putting about 6ish hours into it I thought "Why am I not playing an MMO instead?"

It pretty much plays exactly like one (Get/kill this many X sidequests and all)without the multiplayer aspect. It's addictive and fun, but so is SWTOR and various other alikes and I can get my lonelier friends to play those with me. I guess I'm just not seeing what the big deal is.

Xenoblade encourages you to move through the story more than sidequesting. If you go and do most to all of the side quests, you'll be overlevelled for most of the fights and may burn yourself out just from doing them. I sped through the story mode without doing quests unless they had an expiration or I hit a difficulty wall in the story. Maybe a few here and there for extra skill trees, but for the most part I left them be until I needed cash or XP.

I had a very similar feeling where I would just do nothing but sidequests and I'd slowly get tired of them. Stick with the story and switch up your characters from time to time. The different playstyles help shake the MMO-ness as well.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Is this the thread where I can bitch about Nintendo of Canada? EB Games? Both? Neither?

Went to pick up my copy of Wonderful 101 yesterday and asked the manager about WWHD with statue. I've put a pre-order in for the regular version but nothing for weeks showed up in their system for the special version. He finally was allocated the statue version the other day, all of three copies. He said all the allocations were sold out the day it went into their system. He wasn't too happy only getting three because he knows he could have sold more than that. I guess he's only getting one or two of the special console versions, too.

gently caress, for $10 more that would have been nice. :sigh:

Anyone else get screwed like this?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Opposite for me, Future shop near me didn't have it until tuesday despite saying in the flyer SUNDAY.

EB games meanwhile had a few copies so I picked one up.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Edoraz posted:

The series has been heading rapidly downhill since WW, so that's not a terribly good argument.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

It's a pretty good argument and it holds true for a lot of Zelda fans, most seem to compare the latest game to the one that came before when they've had years to appreciate it and probably played through it more than once.
People didn't like Majoras Mask back in the day because it reused assets from OOT and just reminded them of how mind blowing OOT was, very few people had anything nice to say about Twilight Princess until Skyward Sword came out, and you'll see people praising SS whenever the next console Zelda is out.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

.TakaM posted:

People didn't like Majoras Mask back in the day because it reused assets from OOT and just reminded them of how mind blowing OOT was...

I didn't like Majora's Mask because of all the repetition and the time limit. i just didn't find it that fun. The assets have nothing to do with it, but you either loved the 3 day cycle because of how drastically different it was, or hated it because you felt like you were limited in your exploring and doing stuff at your own pace.

I specifically remember losing my progress and having to play a temple all over again and then said gently caress it and didn't play the game for over a year.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I specifically remember losing my progress and having to play a temple all over again and then said gently caress it and didn't play the game for over a year.

It sounds like you were terrible at the game.

You could slow down time and give yourself a bit under 2 hours, but even the regular days were way more than enough time to beat the dungeons. In the event that you couldn't, the dungeon item would basically let you skip a huge chunk of the dungeon and you kept those upon saving.

I loving love Majora's Mask, how dare you.

quote:

The series has been heading rapidly downhill since WW, so that's not a terribly good argument.
I feel each game has its strengths and weaknesses, which is unsettling. It's always two steps forward and two steps back.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 17, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

I didn't like Majora's Mask because of all the repetition and the time limit. i just didn't find it that fun. The assets have nothing to do with it, but you either loved the 3 day cycle because of how drastically different it was, or hated it because you felt like you were limited in your exploring and doing stuff at your own pace.

All you need to do is learn to budget your 3-day limit. Do the setup for a temple, get all the way to the entrance and whack the owl statue, then start over from The First Day. Play the inverted song of time and you'll have plenty of time to do the temple and the post-temple stuff for the area.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I feel each game has its strengths and weaknesses, which is unsettling. It's always two steps forward and two steps back.

I felt it was a real letdown on Skyward Sword's part to drop the Hidden Skills Twilight Princess had. They made combat more in-depth, without feeling overly gimmicky.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I actually liked Skyward Sword quite a bit... Twilight princess, not so much. I played through Twilight Princess but actually don't remember it very well at all. I just remember not liking the "turn into a wolf" aspect of it, didn't really feel like it fit into a Zelda game very well.

I've played most Zelda Games outside of the 4 swords series of games, and really have liked most with the exception of Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I felt it was a real letdown on Skyward Sword's part to drop the Hidden Skills Twilight Princess had. They made combat more in-depth, without feeling overly gimmicky.

Skyward sword had the first good combat since it went 3D. Ever since OoT it has been hilariously broken in your favor and here comes Skyward Sword where blocking actually involves timing, and you may actually get struck by enemies.

But then its music and environments were downright forgettable compared to TP's and WW's. One day they'll get it right I just know it! :shepicide:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

I actually liked Skyward Sword quite a bit... Twilight princess, not so much. I played through Twilight Princess but actually don't remember it very well at all. I just remember not liking the "turn into a wolf" aspect of it, didn't really feel like it fit into a Zelda game very well.

I've played most Zelda Games outside of the 4 swords series of games, and really have liked most with the exception of Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks.

I genuinely think Skyward Sword is the best put together of 3D Zeldas. You've got excellent puzzle design, creative new items, the combat system works well, and I liked the style of it. The downside is that it needed more areas (though as a flaw I liked that better than the endless Wind Waker ocean or the constant return to the original dungeon in Phantom Hourglass). Twilight Princess had interesting concepts but 75% of that game was bound up so tightly that it became annoying. Wind Waker had the problem that they made a huge, empty map that it took ten to twenty minutes of downtime to get anywhere. Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time had terrible controls, combat, and camera work. OoT also had a problem with terrible visual design which at least Majora's Mask broke away from though it suffers from the late 90's console problem of having a really ugly 3D engine.

I'm not joking when I say that out of the console (as opposed to portable) titles, Ocarina of Time is my least favorite Zelda.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It could've used a better overworld but Skyward Sword is probably my favourite Zelda game. I know they were polarizing but the sword motion controls were the best thing to happen to the series in a long time IMO. It also fixed some problems that the past few Zelda games had like:
- There's actually stuff to spend your rupees on in SS
- Enemies do reasonable amounts of damage (In Twilight Princess I think almost all of Ganondorf's attacks did like a quarter heart of damage)
- Unless I'm forgetting something, all of the dungeon items were used pretty frequently. That was another problem that was especially bad in TP where you had awesome items like the spinner but you'd never use it outside the dungeon.

I dunno, with Skyward Sword it felt to me like they were really making an effort to fix some of the problems 3D Zeldas have. It seems like they might be continuing that with Zelda on Wii U since there are rumors of it having a more open, less linear world.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I thought Skyward Sword had the best combat, controls, and a cool item upgrade system. That along with a large Zelda-like world would be my favorite Zelda game.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
This reminds me, did anyone actually end up thinking that the tech demo for the Wii U was meant to be an actual trailer for the next Zelda game?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro Nut posted:

This reminds me, did anyone actually end up thinking that the tech demo for the Wii U was meant to be an actual trailer for the next Zelda game?

I think after the Spaceworld 2000 demo was proven to just be a test, most who remember don't assume that will be immediately what the game looks like.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Another Wii U Bundle, pretty great with NSMB U and Luigi U:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I feel out of things now as I thought Skyward Sword was the laziest, worst, and most garbage game of the 3D zeldas.

The rehashing of the same small enviorments, everything being a test of the "goddess" (I remember at one point a character who you've saved numerous times and have gotten to acknowledge you fucks you over just to waste your time), Ghirhim was goddamn awful as a character, the boss line up at the end of the game being garbage, the only enemies I can think of were bokoblins or whatever with there deadly slowly-walk-at-you-and-hold sword attack. The sky and flying being a huge waste of time (take everything good about sailing and make it worse).

Just... nothing about it was good to me and that's before even mentioning Fi or the fact Sidequests all give you the same thing.

• Locked thread