Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's not a surprise, but airports are goddamn insane streetpassing meccas. Was in and out of airports all yesterday (had to fly out and back in the same ) and I was to just by walking into and out of the terminals at O'Hare and Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Also I passed with of the same people multiple times, which was weird.

I wish I had your experience. Admittedly my trek through the Dallas Airport was last fall, but I got all of 2 street passes both between the initial and return flight layovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I was at Heathrow and Frankfurt in March and didn't get a single one. :arghfist: Europe

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Byolante posted:

Can someone tell me how different the new (old) harvest moon game is compared to rune factory 4? I am in trhe mood for a farming/life/rpg thing but I don't really want 2.

A New Beginning is a very slow burn and I'd say its biggest flaw is lengthy, unskippable, cutscenes that you have to work at avoiding on a daily basis (pets herding livestock and the animal stores opening and closing). However there is always a lot to do, the farm and village is fully customizable in terms of layout, and it is very easy to cheese the game by abusing wifi trades if you get sick of the grind.

Rune Factory 4 is going to be Very Anime, so your enjoyment will depend on your tolerance of such. The focus will be more on dungeon crawling than farming, but you still need to put some effort on the latter.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dunban posted:

I was at Heathrow and Frankfurt in March and didn't get a single one. :arghfist: Europe

Same for me at Gatwick in August, though I did finish DKCR.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The demo for the new Etrian Odyssey game came out on the eShop today and it is long. Like 3 whole dungeons long with a bunch of quests available and everything. I accidentally spent the whole afternoon playing it after thinking I'd give it a quick look to see if I liked it better than the EO4 demo. I guess I did. Somehow having set characters is enough to make it immediately more engaging. I'll probably pick up the game sometime in the future.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Instead of being a Castlevania game that's got Metroid bits in it, it feels more like a Castlevania game that has (original 2D) Prince of Persia bits in it. A lot of the exploration is just a matter of how to traverse stuff rather than unlocking powerups to get through old places (though to a limited degree this exists, it's just all optional).

The fighting involves stripped down God of War style combos with varying utility. It does have some interesting concessions to it since it's 2D, but it's only barely more complicated than combat in a traditional Castlevania so its not really a positive or negative, it's just sorta there.

Also the demo is very unflattering; it plays at a lower framerate and takes place at relatively late point in the game where you'd have become familiar with the controls already so all the enemies come off as frustrating and cheap.

A lot of people hate it and I'd imagine a lot of the vitriol comes from the demo. When I finally found it on sale and bought it I enjoyed it enough to get 100% with every character. I hated the demo enough to cancel a preorder on the game.

That's not to say it's for people that are strictly looking for any type of classic Castlevania experience, but it's not nearly as awful as a lot people have said.

I'd actually love to see a remake of the N64 Castlevania games for the 3DS. Those were genuinely fun as all hell.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
The new Etrian Odyssey game demo do look pretty nice: it does seem to spruce up the first game quite a lot and add a story to it. Not too far along in the demo right now, but I do like the class the main character get.

I'm not sure I'll snag it, thought, I've beat EO1 to hell a long time ago. I might, for the story, I loved the story. Well, for what little story there /was/, anyway. I loved filling the blanks.

There seems to be a mode for without the new story mode in the full game, thought, with all the modern fun stuff.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Anime men too if you pick the female MC. :v:

I long for same sex romances in RF, please natsume throw the gays a bone.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's not a surprise, but airports are goddamn insane streetpassing meccas. Was in and out of airports all day yesterday (had to fly out and back in the same day) and I was up to ten just by walking into and out of the terminals at O'Hare and Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Also I passed with two of the same people multiple times, which was weird.

I flew from Tokyo to Atlanta via Honolulu last month. My flight left at 9pm so, I didn't get that many at Narita airport, but in most of Tokyo you get 10 just from going outside. In Honolulu I got a lot, almost all from Japanese tourists. I did pick up one for my Hawaii region. At Atlanta, one of the busiest airports in the USA, I got only 5 during a 3 hour layover. :(

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

gobbledygoat posted:

I long for same sex romances in RF, please natsume throw the gays a bone.

RF4 is my first exposure to the series so I don't know if the rest follow the same formula but I'd settle for romances with characters that look (and act) like they're past puberty.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Phantasium posted:

That's not to say it's for people that are strictly looking for any type of classic Castlevania experience, but it's not nearly as awful as a lot people have said.

Ended up getting it. It isn't bad, but it's definitely a couple miles into "God of War" platformer territory. So far it's not bad, but I could imagine being extremely pissed off if I didn't buy it expecting just that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's not a surprise, but airports are goddamn insane streetpassing meccas.

The only place in the US where I've ever gotten a lot of streetpass hits are nerd conventions. I'm lucky if I can find one when I go out normally but at any large nerd gathering I get between 70 and 100 hits a day. I have to keep stopping to flush the streetpass buffer so I can get more connections.

I've rarely gotten hits at airports, at a major hub I'm lucky if I get six or seven during a multi-hour layover.

One trick I do to make someone's Streetpass day a little brighter is to pick a crazy region for my 3DS. I think it's currently set to somewhere in Saudi Arabia. If you do this you have to go into the streetpass software again to accept the license agreement before the streetpasses will work again. I change mine every few weeks.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 17, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

One trick I do to make someone's Streetpass day a little brighter is to pick a crazy region for my 3DS. I think it's currently set to somewhere in Saudi Arabia. If you do this you have to go into the streetpass software again to accept the license agreement before the streetpasses will work again. I change mine every few weeks.

Just out of pure curiosity, your Mii woudn't be called Zachary+ would it? I just got a streetpass today from someone in Saudi Arabia tagged that.

How do you reset your region anyway? I tried to figure it out but couldn't. :saddowns:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genpei Turtle posted:

Just out of pure curiosity, your Mii woudn't be called Zachary+ would it? I just got a streetpass today from someone in Saudi Arabia tagged that.

How do you reset your region anyway? I tried to figure it out but couldn't. :saddowns:

It's under Profile in Other Settings in the System Settings.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

gobbledygoat posted:

I long for same sex romances in RF, please natsumeMarvelous throw the gays a bone.

It is not looking very likely. Even if it became a thing, you'd run into 'think of the children' malarkey here; Harvest Moon DS Cute had a system where you could become best pals with another lady and adopt a child together, but that was scrubbed by Natsume when they localized it to avoid a headache. However I do believe XSEED kept in a mechanic in RF4 where you can swap your portrait for another NPC's, so you can at least superficially pretend to go after the same sex. It is not much, but it is something.

Genpei Turtle posted:

RF4 is my first exposure to the series so I don't know if the rest follow the same formula but I'd settle for romances with characters that look (and act) like they're past puberty.

Welcome to Rune Factory, it is Anime. Everyone who cries about how Harvest Moon is so Anime needs to play a Rune Factory title and see how far those murky depths can be plumbed. I'm just happy there is some vaguely older looking characters in 4 so I can outright ignore the questionable ones outside of the MCs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

No, my Mii on my 3DS is Arino from Game Center CX.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Random Stranger posted:

No, my Mii on my 3DS is Arino from Game Center CX.

Were you at MAGFest back in January? I passed an Arino while I was there.

I'm sure you're not the only guy running around with an Arino Mii, but since you mentioned nerd gatherings in your post...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I Watson posted:

Welcome to Rune Factory, it is Anime. Everyone who cries about how Harvest Moon is so Anime needs to play a Rune Factory title and see how far those murky depths can be plumbed. I'm just happy there is some vaguely older looking characters in 4 so I can outright ignore the questionable ones outside of the MCs.

For me there's some weird threshold of anime that I can tolerate. I had no issues at all with Rune Factory Frontier on Wii and really enjoyed the game, but when I tried to play Tides of Destiny it just wasn't happening. So when it comes out I would be interested if someone could give some thoughts on how deep down the anime hole it goes.

It looks like two weeks after RF4 comes out another Harvest Moon'ish game is coming out as well, something called Hometown Story. I really enjoyed Recettear so I'm hoping it scratches the store owner simulator itch.

Edit: Actually I have no clue when Hometown Story is coming out, i'm seeing a few different release dates.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 17, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hometown Story still hasn't been dated, no.

It's by Yasuhiro Wada, the Harvest Moon guy, and is in the vein of Harvest Moon but with shopkeeping rather than farming, and you develop (platonic?) relationships with a whole bunch of people instead of romantic relationships with one person. I think Nobuo Uematsu did the music, too? I forget.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It had better be better than Recettear. Because Recettear is awesome.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd pay some good money for a portable Recettear. Recette's adorable antics aside, the gameplay was surprisingly addictive and engaging, though the dungeon crawling was a little boring.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

It's under Profile in Other Settings in the System Settings.

Ah, that explains it then. I found that, but it won't let me pick a place outside of Japan. It must be because I have a Japanese 3DS.

ed:

katkillad2 posted:

For me there's some weird threshold of anime that I can tolerate. I had no issues at all with Rune Factory Frontier on Wii and really enjoyed the game, but when I tried to play Tides of Destiny it just wasn't happening. So when it comes out I would be interested if someone could give some thoughts on how deep down the anime hole it goes.

Maybe I just have a low threshold of anime tolerance (never thought I did though) but RF4 is pretty down there. The story is anime-ish but largely unremarkable, but the romance part is downright creepy. Character designs aside (romanceable characters almost all look prepubescent), they make a really clear demarcation between "adult" characters and "child" characters--for example, the adult characters hand out otoshidama on New Year's day, the "children" almost all live with parents or surrogate guardians, etc.--but the only characters you can romance are the "child" characters. After suffering through a handful of "date" events where characters act like they're 12 (OMG we held hands!!) and realizing the ultimate goal of the mechanic is to marry and have kids with these child characters I got creeped out and stopped doing that particular side-game.

Fortunately you can ignore most of that mechanic as it's not required.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 17, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

though the dungeon crawling was a little boring. awesome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Were you at MAGFest back in January? I passed an Arino while I was there.

I'm sure you're not the only guy running around with an Arino Mii, but since you mentioned nerd gatherings in your post...

No, boardgaming and comic book conventions are my usual destinations.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Ah, that explains it then. I found that, but it won't let me pick a place outside of Japan. It must be because I have a Japanese 3DS.

IIRC the available locations correspond to the regions. Europeans can pick any place in Europe and Australia. Japan only gets Japan. The US one gets all of the Americas and the middle east.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 17, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went to Riotfest in Chicago this past weekend, and got about thirty street passes. I had it in my locker all day Friday and had 16 Animal Crossing passes at the end of the day. It owned.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE is doing a "National Streetpass Day" in the UK, for what it's worth:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/200333/NINTENDO_UK_ANNOUNCE_NATIONAL_STREETPASS_DAY.php

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's not a surprise, but airports are goddamn insane streetpassing meccas. Was in and out of airports all day yesterday (had to fly out and back in the same day) and I was up to ten just by walking into and out of the terminals at O'Hare and Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Also I passed with two of the same people multiple times, which was weird.

I got 1 streetpass in Amsterdam, which is a giant international hub. Was there for hours as well.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got 1 streetpass in Amsterdam, which is a giant international hub. Was there for hours as well.

I get several at Amsterdam CS every day I'm there. Trains and train stations in the Netherlands in general seem to be pretty effective.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmAmAO_K8yM
:qq: I cheated the free $30 credit and Nintendo took my games:qq:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bah I forgot a few of my surveys were expiring on the 15th. If I email nintendo can they un-expire them for me?

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012
We got finally a release date for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies. It will be October 24th for $29.99 / €24.99!!!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/09/17/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies-has-a-release-date

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Ha, that's interesting. I didn't know nintendo could actually delete your digital games on your 3DS remotely.

That guy really sucks at asking questions to the hotline support (spends 10 minutes asking the same question in different ways). Although to be fair the lady also seemed kind of clueless as to what "rules" he broke.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SgtKirby posted:

We got finally a release date for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies. It will be October 24th for $29.99 / €24.99!!!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/09/17/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies-has-a-release-date

Good to know the exact date in which I'll be re-purchasing a 3DS :eng101:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SgtKirby posted:

loving, Hell, Yes. gently caress this owns. :dance:

Any word on prof layton/phoenix wright?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SgtKirby posted:

Finally. Time to buy the hell out of a franchise Capcom will kill off shortly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Austrian mook posted:

loving, Hell, Yes. gently caress this owns. :dance:

Any word on prof layton/phoenix wright?

It's been confirmed for next year, I believe.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Hey, some new info on that Bravely Default Redux-thingie. There's also a sample of the English dubs near the end of the video. From what I can hear behind the developer babble, the voice acting sounds like part cartoon, part renaissance fest.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rexroom posted:

Hey, some new info on that Bravely Default Redux-thingie. There's also a sample of the English dubs near the end of the video. From what I can hear behind the developer babble, the voice acting sounds like part cartoon, part renaissance fest.

Virus warning from the page, could just be a bad ad of course.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
A little more info here.

The game features fully rendered 3D graphics and character models which will allow for more variety and dynamic camera angles during gameplay. It will also allow for more investigative depth as crime scenes can be rotated and manipulated to find clues and secrets. In addition to returning gameplay mechanics, such as Psyche-Lock and the Perceive System, Dual Destinies will feature a Mood Matrix which will allow the attorney to gauge the emotional response of the witnesses during testimony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hey guys, kinda new to the 3DS thing, just had my XL arrive in the mail earlier today. Surprisingly I've never had a handheld nor really paid too much attention to handheld stuff except when friends bring it up.

Just curious but the Nintendo eShop, is there any reason to buy retail releases off of it or am I better off getting a cart? Are there any discounts on the eShop from time to time? Or should I just leave it to pick up those Streetpass games and whatever VC releases make it up there?

Also any reason a lot if not all SNES games on VC happen to be Wii/WiiU VC only? I feel like the 3DS could tackle most of these (as it also plays ports of N64 games anyway).

Thanks!

• Locked thread