Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

Do you have links to any videos or commentary on that Elves deck? I'd like to see it a few times before I fire up cockatrice, but it looks pretty sweet.

It's on scg premium today. http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26921_Video-Elves-In-Modern.html

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Singleton batterskull wouldn't really work, it doesn't have much synergy with the rest of the deck. It's better in decks that try to grind down the opponent and is usually kept in the side. You might be better off with Wurmcoil, especially against red decks. If you're looking to gain life I'd rather put in Sword of War and Peace.

I love me Esper Teachings and yeah if you want to prey on combo it's probably a good choice, especially if you maindeck Inquisition or Thoughtseize.

Thanks, do you happen to know of any recent Esper Teachings lists? I keep an eye on the decks that get posted from MTGO events, but haven't seen Teachings crop up at all, and I'd like to get an idea of what to build towards.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Wizards please reprint Wirewood Symbiote and also Gaea's Cradle tia

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Thanks, do you happen to know of any recent Esper Teachings lists? I keep an eye on the decks that get posted from MTGO events, but haven't seen Teachings crop up at all, and I'd like to get an idea of what to build towards.

I haven't kept up with modern since the last season, but I actually played teachings at a PTQ. You'll have to search MTGOtop8. Any article you find will probably be super old and out of date, since teachings is a very rogue deck but it also gets better as more instant spells get printed. Try to find a list that plays at least 4 maindeck Inquisition/Thoughtseize, and take notes on what they sacrifice in their teachings toolbox for it. Play White Sun's Zenith as your finisher over Teferi.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm working on putting together Affinity for modern but I came up with this list because I dunno incorrigible combo whatever:

Heartless Combo

It's probably too bulky to work but I liked the interaction between Heartless Summoning and Evoked mulldrifters.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

I'm working on putting together Affinity for modern but I came up with this list because I dunno incorrigible combo whatever:

Heartless Combo

It's probably too bulky to work but I liked the interaction between Heartless Summoning and Evoked mulldrifters.

What's your plan for when you don't have a Heartless Summoning on the board? Between variance and Abrupt Decay and Golgari Charm it might not be there for you.

The answer seems to be "take longer" and you don't have the support for this.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

Heartless Combo

Why are you running any Heartless Summoning deck without Myr Superion?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

Why are you running any Heartless Summoning deck without Myr Superion?

Because he's unplayable without the card and underwhelming with?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What's your plan for when you don't have a Heartless Summoning on the board? Between variance and Abrupt Decay and Golgari Charm it might not be there for you.

The answer seems to be "take longer" and you don't have the support for this.

Admittedly, it would be nice if there were a way to make sure I had more copies of summoning or make the deck work without the combo like what pod does. It's probably why the deck doesn't exist.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Heartless Summoning was a bad deck in standard and will be even worse in modern. I mean it's fun and all but you will be super frustrated if you try to bring it to anything but the softest of FNMs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

8th-snype posted:

Heartless Summoning was a bad deck in standard and will be even worse in modern.

It worked back in SOM/INN Standard when it had two good clones to cast for 1, Massacre Wurm and Wurmcoil Engine to stabilize the board, Rune-Scarred Demon chains to clench wins, and most importantly, Scars block's removal.

But since then Abrupt Decay has happened and the card's only in formats that are too aggressive for how slow it starts. As much as I want to play Heartless I don't think I can.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It worked back in SOM/INN Standard when it had two good clones to cast for 1, Massacre Wurm and Wurmcoil Engine to stabilize the board, Rune-Scarred Demon chains to clench wins, and most importantly, Scars block's removal.
What made heartless summoning work at all was having creatures that both benefited from the discount and that you actually wanted to die. Mostly Perilous Myr and Solemn Simulacrum.
I never thought wurmcoil was very good in that deck. I'd rather run a Frost Titan or two and be able to drop 2x Heartless on the board if I draw it.

That deck was dead when it lost Perilous Myr, Phyrexian Metamorph, Solemn Simulacrum and Rune-Scarred Demon; those were the core of it. Losing Ponder to help dig for the Heartless didn't help either.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

I never thought wurmcoil was very good in that deck. I'd rather run a Frost Titan or two and be able to drop 2x Heartless on the board if I draw it.

The Wurm buddies did an important job in stifiling aggro while putting up a board presence. A 5/4 with a one-sided Infest attached for 1BBB and a 5/5 with lifelink and deathtouch for 4 did a hell of a lot to prevent losing to aggro. As much as BSZ I'd say since once they hit they were also four-turn clocks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I played the UB and the BR version of the deck and it was just too slow without a turn 2 Heartless. I actually liked the BR version better because playing Slagstorm and then dropping an Inferno Titan the turn after was rad as heck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Zoness would you mind posting your modern elves list?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

Zoness would you mind posting your modern elves list?

It's been on "to-tune" for a while: Elves

Sam Black's list uses B/G instead to splash Thoughtseize (which seems p solid) and my sideboard is a mess. I liked 2x Primal Command but with DRS in the format it's not really possible any more so v:shobon:v. Also he cuts all the curios for Lead the Stampede, which leads to better drought condition hands but gives you fewer ways to go off. Archdruid + Scryb Ranger is another interesting way to go with this deck.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 17, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

It's been on "to-tune" for a while: Elves

Sam Black's list uses B/G instead to splash Thoughtseize (which seems p solid) and my sideboard is a mess. I liked 2x Primal Command but with DRS in the format it's not really possible any more so v:shobon:v. Also he cuts all the curios for Lead the Stampede, which leads to better drought condition hands but gives you fewer ways to go off. Archdruid + Scryb Ranger is another interesting way to go with this deck.

That link gives a 404 error. I just bought everything for Black's list (had most of it already). Is there anything else you'd recommend picking up for flex slots and/or sideboard?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just went to a modern tourney with BW tokens and got crushed, which is not the norm for me and this deck. Got paired against tron twice. I think I'm going to just play four color burn.

(also: check the trade thread if you are looking for horizon canopies, mine are for trade)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I've also been having trouble with BW Tokens lately. Out of curiosity, what list are you running?

On thing I've begun to suspect is that Hero of Bladehold isn't actually that effective, and that I might be better off with additional Elspeth, Knight Errants. My meta is also full of combo that likes to tap out (no tron), and I'm actually considering the (terrible) solution of throwing in Mana Tithe in my sideboard as an additional T1 play.

Whats 4 color burn look like? I have a 3-color RBW Burn deck thats about 80% complete I've had on the backburner for a while.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

That link gives a 404 error. I just bought everything for Black's list (had most of it already). Is there anything else you'd recommend picking up for flex slots and/or sideboard?

Yeah, I'd look at:

Cloudstone Curio (infinite loop with sentinel, heritage druid, and visionary)
Elvish Archdruid / Scryb Ranger (really fast regal force)

Sam's list trades power (cloudstone curio / elvish archdruid) for consistency (lead the pack) which might be a really good idea.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 17, 2013

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I've also been having trouble with BW Tokens lately. Out of curiosity, what list are you running?

On thing I've begun to suspect is that Hero of Bladehold isn't actually that effective, and that I might be better off with additional Elspeth, Knight Errants. My meta is also full of combo that likes to tap out (no tron), and I'm actually considering the (terrible) solution of throwing in Mana Tithe in my sideboard as an additional T1 play.

Whats 4 color burn look like? I have a 3-color RBW Burn deck thats about 80% complete I've had on the backburner for a while.

"4-color burn" is RBW with one Stomping Ground for activating Deathrite Shaman to remove a creature from a GY.

My BW Tokens list is missing Auriok Champions, but is as such:

4x Inquisition (should be 2x)
1x Duress (should be 3x Thoughtseize)
4x Tidehollow Sculler
4x Raise the Alarm
3x Intangible Virtue
2x Honor of the Pure
3x Zealous Persecution
4x Spectral Procession
4x Lingering Souls
2x Midnight Haunting
1x Hero of Bladehold
1x Elspeth, Knight Errant
4x Path to Exile

4x Windbrisk Heights
4x Godless Shrine
4x Arid Mesa
4x Marsh Flats
2x Swamp
5x Plains

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I played gr tron last week and got bootystomped by combo elves and bant hexproof (wurmcoil -> path twice without the mana up for emrakul). Was it just bad luck on my part or am I doing something wrong? Or can I write it off as a bad matchup and keep my player pride intact?

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mortimer posted:

I played gr tron last week and got bootystomped by combo elves and bant hexproof (wurmcoil -> path twice without the mana up for emrakul). Was it just bad luck on my part or am I doing something wrong? Or can I write it off as a bad matchup and keep my player pride intact?

When I ask myself this question, I go through a mental checklist to see if there was anything I could have done to affect a better outcome. It's something like:

Did I mulligan correctly? Or did I have to mulligan frequently in the matches?
How did my hands/draws compare to theirs? Was it good draws versus good draws? Mediocre hands versus nut draws?
Did mana screw/flood affect the games?
Were there any obvious misplays on my part?
What was my chance of winning from the outset? (IE, how's the matchup)

If you get through a battery of questions like that with satisfying answers, then usually you can put that on luck. Otherwise there's probably some area you could have done better in.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

GEMorris posted:

"4-color burn" is RBW with one Stomping Ground for activating Deathrite Shaman to remove a creature from a GY.

My BW Tokens list is missing Auriok Champions, but is as such:

4x Inquisition (should be 2x)
1x Duress (should be 3x Thoughtseize)
4x Tidehollow Sculler
4x Raise the Alarm
3x Intangible Virtue
2x Honor of the Pure
3x Zealous Persecution
4x Spectral Procession
4x Lingering Souls
2x Midnight Haunting
1x Hero of Bladehold
1x Elspeth, Knight Errant
4x Path to Exile

4x Windbrisk Heights
4x Godless Shrine
4x Arid Mesa
4x Marsh Flats
2x Swamp
5x Plains

I'm not entirely sure Midnight Haunting is needed in addition to Lingering Souls + Spectral Procession at the 3 drop slot- I'd probably replace these with Auriok Champions once you get them. I also think you are probably running too many copies of Windbrisk Heights- we're on a fairly slow game plan as it is and I'm not a huge fan of it coming into play tapped. I have 2x in my deck, and they show up about as often as I want to see them. I'd cut at least one or two of them and replace it with either some Isolated Chapels/Fetid Heaths or Ghost Quarter. I've always found Ghost Quarter maindeckable, but thats mostly due to my meta.

I'm personally about to cut Hero of Bladehold out of my deck, and run 2-3x Elspeth, and possibly 1-2x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad at the top of my curve instead. I'm in the process of trying to overhaul my deck at the moment, and haven't done much testing of these changes yet. I'm going to work on finishing it up this weekend and will post my results with it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, midnight haunting is a holdover I should really get rid of (I was playing mono white tokens when they created modern, before lingering souls was even a card).

I just think BW has a really bad time with From, and unfortunately From is a very popular deck right now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

With regards to the Elves matchup - you lose if you don't have pyroclasm or Oblivion Stone by turn 3 or 4, and if they get their Pendelhaven then pyroclasm isn't as good either.

Getting Emrakul out against the Tron player is pretty amusing as the Elves player :3:.

Post-board you must leave mana up for stone if you have it in play because they can pact for Viridian Shaman (or Zealot)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 17, 2013

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Can anyone post or link to Sam Black's list? Google is failing me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The March Hare posted:

Can anyone post or link to Sam Black's list? Google is failing me.

It's premium, here's a copy-paste of it:

quote:

Maindeck:

Creatures
4 Arbor Elf
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Heritage Druid
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Nettle Sentinel
2 Regal Force
1 Scavenging Ooze

Instants
3 Summoner's Pact

Sorceries
4 Beck
4 Lead the Stampede

Basic Lands
3 Forest

Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Verdant Catacombs

Legendary Lands
1 Pendelhaven

Sideboard:
3 Elvish Archdruid
3 Scavenging Ooze
3 Nature's Claim
2 Creeping Corrosion
4 Thoughtseize

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

GEMorris posted:

Just went to a modern tourney with BW tokens and got crushed, which is not the norm for me and this deck. Got paired against tron twice. I think I'm going to just play four color burn.

Yeah, it was a very tron heavy meta, like 4-5 decks out of 15. Also very little pod, but that will change going forward. Next week should also see an uptick in affinity. Amusingly like 3-4 guys from the store who most wanted modern work Monday nights, all of whom would have brought different decks.

Finals was the other BW tokens guy I think? vs. BGw with Knight of the Reliquary.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
G/R tron pretty much just poops all over the token decks and soul sisters. Pyroclasm kills all the unbuffed tokens and then o-stone gets everything and the anthems as well. Tokens should have good sideboard options (stoney silence, suppression field, and mind censor) bit its still going to be an uphill battle.

Boggles is touch match for tron as the creatures quickly get bigger than pyroclsam can handle, and aside from a quick o-stone you don't have much to interact with them. Karn can exile an enchantment to make a daybreak coronet fall off, but odds are they will just pile more of them on before that happens. I have 2 Back to Nature along with a couple Nature's Claims to help the match up.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Did you guys seen the Top 8 for GP Detroit? loving yaaaaaaawn

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

AgentSythe posted:

Did you guys seen the Top 8 for GP Detroit? loving yaaaaaaawn

I didn't, but let me guess? Jund/Pod all over the place?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Jenx posted:

I didn't, but let me guess? Jund/Pod all over the place?

6 Jund, 1 Affinity, 1 Pod

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
4 Jund, 2 B/G decks.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpdet13/welcome#1

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm not sure what they can do about the 4 Bobs / 4 Goyfs / 4 Deathrite Shamans deck shell being so utterly dominant in Modern. They really don't want to ban Bob or Goyf after just reprinting them to much fanfare. And plenty of 'answers' would just end up being added to the deck. Scavenging Ooze to answer Goyf? Goyf decks are now running their own Oozes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Entropic posted:

I'm not sure what they can do about the 4 Bobs / 4 Goyfs / 4 Deathrite Shamans deck shell being so utterly dominant in Modern. They really don't want to ban Bob or Goyf after just reprinting them to much fanfare. And plenty of 'answers' would just end up being added to the deck. Scavenging Ooze to answer Goyf? Goyf decks are now running their own Oozes.

They could ban fetchlands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

If they felt like killing an entire format, sure.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

Leaving Affinity the king of the format? :3:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Entropic posted:

Hey, don't leave Lilliana off that list.

I don't think they need to ban anything from this deck at this point. Its good, it has lots of answers and threats because it plays really good cards, but isnt broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The fact that there's one undisputed "best deck" definitely puts a lot of people off Modern though. It doesn't always win every tournament, it's not that there's no deck that can beat it, but it's just so solid that it's never wrong to play it.

• Locked thread