Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lobok posted:

Don't high sin taxes just funnel customers' money away from governments and into organized crime? Or is that just a boogeyman that people like to raise because they hate taxes?

When was the last time you bought bootleg booze in Ontario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lobok posted:

Don't high sin taxes just funnel customers' money away from governments and into organized crime? Or is that just a boogeyman that people like to raise because they hate taxes?

With alcohol and tobacco? Is the mob running secret underground breweries and speakeasies? I know small amount of cig smuggling is a thing but most smokers just buy them normally, although I heard of a case where some dudes in nova scotia imported a ton of cheap american smokes via a model train, I think there's a documentary on it out there.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I know that my parents regularly buy their bootleg cigarettes from reserves rather than pay the exorbitant price from stores.

Same with mine, but a big part of that is that they tried jacking up the price of cigarettes in the early nineties and when everyone just went to the reserves smokes, prices came down to bring people back to now convenient purchasing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Entropic posted:

Well I wouldn't because I don't care about booze that much in the first place, which is why I'm asking. Cigarette smuggling definitely exists though and smokes have usually been the target of governments, not alcohol, which we only need to drink "responsibly" and not outright quit.

Either way, none of you are actually answering my question. Even if bootleg booze or smuggled smokes were completely non-existent in Ontario I'm asking about the link between those and sin taxes. Perhaps we're not at a high enough tax rate yet? I'm asking about the theory and all I'm getting is "are you a criminal?"

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 18, 2013

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Entropic posted:

I was about to type that, but it occurred to me that if I was an organized criminal that I would sell bootleg booze to bars and restaurants since a dude on the corner with a bag of JD would be fairly ineffective. 100% of the liquor I bought at the bar over the last year could be illegal and I would never know.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Don't smoke tobacco.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Clearly prohibition is the answer.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JoelJoel posted:

Clearly prohibition is the answer.

It's a great way to kickstart small businesses :v:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Local community building! On-the-fly problem solving! DIY! Truly this is the best of all solutions.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JawKnee posted:

Local community building! On-the-fly problem solving! DIY! Truly this is the best of all solutions.

21st Century prohibition would be interesting. I imagine people creating apps to find all of the speakeasys in town but I also imagine police busting down the bars for the same reason.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I've literally heard drug dealers say something to the tune of "Man, I hope they don't legalize it. The price will drop and my business won't be viable" though with more slang, as you may imagine.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

21st Century prohibition would be interesting. I imagine people creating apps to find all of the speakeasys in town but I also imagine police busting down the bars for the same reason.

I guess it would depend on how militant they cops/govt got about it; for example, there are already late night illegal venues that still serve booze, they do this knowing that they'll eventually get shut down by the liquor board and fined, but they make bank off've being one of a very few amount of places still open and serving.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey Ottawa folks, want to check in in the Eastern Canada thread to let folks know you're OK following the crash?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JoelJoel posted:

I've literally heard drug dealers say something to the tune of "Man, I hope they don't legalize it. The price will drop and my business won't be viable" though with more slang, as you may imagine.

Same here. Of course that's because it's a source of income. It's why a guy who made one of the lovely Android SNES emulators sent me a nasty email for publicly reporting them for using copyrighted material. How dare I stop them from making money.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hey Ottawa folks, want to check in in the Eastern Canada thread to let folks know you're OK following the crash?

Or the Ottawa Thread

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Same here. Of course that's because it's a source of income. It's why a guy who made one of the lovely Android SNES emulators sent me a nasty email for publicly reporting them for using copyrighted material. How dare I stop them from making money.

Made or made and sold? Also, do you call the cops on your dealer after picking up a dime bag?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JoelJoel posted:

Made or made and sold? Also, do you call the cops on your dealer after picking up a dime bag?

Made and sold. The GNES emulator I think it's called on Android. They are charging people money for a Super Nintendo emulator that searches online to find you games. Sorry that's hosed up.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Made and sold. The GNES emulator I think it's called on Android. They are charging people money for a Super Nintendo emulator that searches online to find you games. Sorry that's hosed up.

At the risk of a copyright derail, I'll leave this alone, but I think you can guess what I'm hinting at with my comparison to the underground pot market.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Majuju posted:

So this is a big ask, but I figure there are enough people here with smarts that it should be achievable: can you guys give me some articles about income/wages/productivity growth in Canada (or the lack thereof)? I am trying to make a case to one of my co-workers that the articles about how the current generation is so entitled and lazy and etc. are bullshit, and while I have Googled up some stuff, I figured I'd also solicit help from y'all.

http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a01?lang=eng&p2=1 (remove everything past cansim/ if you want to access the French version)

Giant set of tables from Stats Can - has labour productivity, labour participation, employment, unemployment rates by various categories. Most of the things I glanced at went back to 1981 or 1976.

Productivity has gone up (GDP/hour worked), labour participation rate is about the same, unemployment and employment are similar (though I think the employment rate for the 25+ age group is a fair bit higher than it was in the past; these are all just from glancing at the endpoints). It's not an article, mind you, and would take some effort to summarize reasonably. I imagine there's someone with a better background to deal with it (and hopefully actual articles already written) but if you just want to beat someone down with numbers that's the place to go. I think they've got rate of living at home when 20+ in there somewhere too.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nova-Scotia goon checking in- we're in election mode here, and in the paper yesterday there was an article about the Liberal parties connection to Anonymous.

One of Stephen McNeil's staff had worked with Anon in the past. He was questioned about any involvement in Anon's issuing the NDP warnings, which he responded to by saying he'd be in more trouble with Anon than the NDP (:eyeroll:).

THEN the article mentioned that this guy had convinced Stephen McNeil to join up with Reddit and have a Q&A with them. I wonder if he knew about the darker side of the site...

All in all it was a very uncomfortable article to read.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Makes you wonder what Goons are lurking on staff.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

http://banislamofficial.com/2013/09/15/canada-allows-veiled-muslim-women-to-bypass-airport-security-checks/

I wanna congratulate CATSA for being cool people. This website and the message it's spreading on the other hand... Finding out who the racists from people I know, are.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Drunk Canuck posted:

http://banislamofficial.com/2013/09/15/canada-allows-veiled-muslim-women-to-bypass-airport-security-checks/

I wanna congratulate CATSA for being cool people. This website and the message it's spreading on the other hand... Finding out who the racists from people I know, are.

What exactly happened in that story? I've seen it posted a bunch on my Facebook and it just looked like many similar stories lacking serious context.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Only that they're not forcing women to lift their veils to confirm identity. Many are interpreting this as them not being forced to be checked for weapons at all and it being a huge risk or some racist 'they're all terrorists' mentality.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The idea that having valid photo ID has any strong correlation one way or the other with terrorist intent is silly in the first place.

I suppose the theory is that some well-known fanatic who's on the watch list is going to use someone else's ID and a burqua to sneak onto a plane, but that's stupid. It seems like just using a fake ID would be simpler. Or sending someone who's not on the watchlist with their real ID. People know that we don't actually have a magical Santa's Naughty List of All The Terrorists to check IDs against, right?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

The most silly thing is that they're still searching for banned substances.

quote:

Greg MacDougall, a spokesman for CATSA, tells QMI that their guards are primarily looking for metal, weapons or other banned material, not ensuring that veiled faces match passport photos.

So even if a fugitive gets aboard, they'd be without weapons and the like.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

and it looks like Adrian Dix will resign today.

A pretty good day.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thank loving god. He needs to get out of politics.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

JoelJoel posted:

Ask pretty much anyone around their middle age or later and they will be more than happy to tell you how much better things were before XYZ, and how society has lost values ABC.

There are plenty of middle aged people who don't feel this way. I'm over 40 and think things are hugely better than before and that the "values" we've lost include a lot of sexist and racist bullshit that I'm happy to see gone and hope to see more of gone. You couldn't loving pay me to go backwards and I think generations younger than mine are doing amazing things, like the students in Montreal or the spirit of the Occupiers or the way people use social media to effect change or whatever -- there are millions of great new things happening and younger people are spearheading it.

I don't think it's necessarily being older that makes you not be able to analyze and understand that things are improving, but just getting lazy. True, as people get older they tend to get tired and lazy, but it's not like you just wake up one day when you're 43 and you think "drat, I should start voting Conservative and chase those kids off my lawn because they're not doing what I used to do which was totally awesome and the proper way of doing things".

Nobody is doomed to be lazy and stupid because they're getting older and I think it's lovely to blame age itself for intellectual laziness.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

The Liberal Party needed a Pollievre.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

InfiniteZero posted:

There are plenty of middle aged people who don't feel this way. I'm over 40 and think things are hugely better than before and that the "values" we've lost include a lot of sexist and racist bullshit that I'm happy to see gone and hope to see more of gone. You couldn't loving pay me to go backwards and I think generations younger than mine are doing amazing things, like the students in Montreal or the spirit of the Occupiers or the way people use social media to effect change or whatever -- there are millions of great new things happening and younger people are spearheading it.

I don't think it's necessarily being older that makes you not be able to analyze and understand that things are improving, but just getting lazy. True, as people get older they tend to get tired and lazy, but it's not like you just wake up one day when you're 43 and you think "drat, I should start voting Conservative and chase those kids off my lawn because they're not doing what I used to do which was totally awesome and the proper way of doing things".

Nobody is doomed to be lazy and stupid because they're getting older and I think it's lovely to blame age itself for intellectual laziness.

Yeah, I was being more general. And I don't think it's just people of a certain age bracket, I think we all (and I mean people who see society myopically and ignore history) tend to value the up and coming generation less. I'm sure there are plenty of people in college who think those kids in high school are a bunch of lazy idiots that can't dress themselves, etc. Though my sweeping, broad generalization was just that, though I do think it stands up in many cases. I was just attempting to point out that the attitude that people are less productive rarely if ever has a basis in statistical reality and is more based on how we see the world in general.

I've heard this argument from many people. Most of them just seem to come from your age group +/- 10 years.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Well, Dix is resigning. http://www.forwardbcndp.ca/thank_you_adrian

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

How many of your neckbeard friends posted this today? I'm up to 7

Some plutocrat declares his product to be a human right. Canadian consumers clap like the trained seals they are. Meanwhile, slaves dig up the poo poo that makes all of this possible.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The broadband caps are terrible.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

THC posted:

How many of your neckbeard friends posted this today? I'm up to 7

Some plutocrat declares his product to be a human right. Canadian consumers clap like the trained seals they are. Meanwhile, slaves dig up the poo poo that makes all of this possible.

They're not a human rights violation like being forced to mow the grass in front of your sidewalk, which is like slavery according to area crazy-man.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oh man anyone else going to the BCNDP convention? Gonna be a rowdy one this year

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I really wanted Adrian Dix to have one session of the legislature as leader of the opposition just to revel in his humiliation. Oh well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Alctel posted:

Oh man anyone else going to the BCNDP convention? Gonna be a rowdy one this year

I might, when is it?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mr. unhsib posted:

I really wanted Adrian Dix to have one session of the legislature as leader of the opposition just to revel in his humiliation. Oh well.

You might get your wish because the thing I read said he's staying on until the leadership convention next summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Tonight you can ask the NDP questions directly, right in my neighbourhood! 310 Danforth avenue, 6:30 - 8:30 pm. Toronto, Ontario. http://craigscott.ndp.ca/democracy-day-on-the-danforth-2013-09-19

quote:

As the Official Opposition’s Democratic Reform Critic, Craig wants to hear your views on the concrete features that will be needed for a proportional representation system to be suited to Canada’s federal context.

More and more Canadians no longer accept the unfairness of an electoral system that allows a party to have well over 50% of the seats in the House of Commons despite only receiving 39% of the popular vote. And the way in which the Conservative government in Ottawa has used their majority since 2011 has made Canadians even more aware of the costs of this unfair system.

It’s time for a change. Let’s work together to make electoral reform happen.

• Locked thread