Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
How would anyone piece together that theon had children with the millers wife. Or did I misinterpret something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If there is one person and one person only who could never, ever, definitely never be a secret Targ it's Tyrion. If you think Tyrion is not Tywin and Joanna Lannister's 100% biological son, then you don't understand a thing about Tywin's character, his relationship with Tyrion, irony, or literature in general.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

NihilCredo posted:

I really like this theory that Theon killed his own children. Mind you, in the same way I like the Longclaw = Dark Sister theory: incredibly flimsy but so fitting I want them to be true.

chellesandcheese posted:

But see this is where I find the entire theory lacking. It adds nothing to his arc.

In this thread I have encountered someone who finds my evidence to be fairly strong but dismisses the idea because it doesn't "fit" and someone who loves the idea because it is fitting, yet finds the evidence flimsy.

I've made my case. There's nothing really more to say.

Conquistador posted:

Am I lame for thinking Theon's life just sucks and theres no mysticism behind that?

I don't think the mystical element is necessary for Theon to be a kinslayer, but if the gods exist and do punish kinslayers then yeah they are punishing the hell out of Theon.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Blind Melon posted:

In this thread I have encountered someone who finds my evidence to be fairly strong but dismisses the idea because it doesn't "fit" and someone who loves the idea because it is fitting, yet finds the evidence flimsy.

I've made my case. There's nothing really more to say.

I don't think the mystical element is necessary for Theon to be a kinslayer, but if the gods exist and do punish kinslayers then yeah they are punishing the hell out of Theon.

You've kind of misinterpreted what I said there. I think the argument is flimsy, AND I don't think it makes any sense in the story arc. I just said that your latest post with more to back up the theory was stronger than the original argument you presented. I really didn't feel like I kept needing to say you were stretching things because I said that in several previous posts. :)

But I agree, there's not much more to say there. We can agree to disagree.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
We should talk more about the hate-blizzard, just because it's fairly intriguing that apparently the Old Gods really, really care about one specific family ruling in one specific castle, and don't you dare gently caress with that.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

We should talk more about the hate-blizzard, just because it's fairly intriguing that apparently the Old Gods really, really care about one specific family ruling in one specific castle, and don't you dare gently caress with that.

Yes I would like to know more about this too, since I apparently completely forgot about it

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I believe the loony theory is that the Horn of Winter was hidden in the crypts of Winterfell (or maybe not?) and the Umbers have it and used it to summon the hate blizzard. Which is an awesome theory because the Umbers are metal as gently caress. The Umbers in Winterfell are totally planning to die gloriously murdering Freys and Boltons and it is beautiful.

Or it could be because the fake wedding pissed the Old Gods off.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 19, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A slight derail back to secret Targs, apologies in advance.

It's pretty funny that the matter of Targaryen hair and eye color keeps coming up as supporting evidence for secret Targaryen theories when in fact the only verifiable secret Targaryen takes completely after his non-Targaryen mother and looks exactly like his fake father.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Conquistador posted:

Yes I would like to know more about this too, since I apparently completely forgot about it
Y'know that blizzard that's loving with Stannis and his march on Winterfell? It gets stronger the closer they get, meaning it's centered on Winterfell, it lasts for a completely unbelievable amount of time and doesn't move on, and the snowfall starts literally as soon as Roose and Fake Arya get married.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's pretty funny that the matter of Targaryen hair and eye color keeps coming up as supporting evidence for secret Targaryen theories when in fact the only verifiable secret Targaryen takes completely after his non-Targaryen mother and looks exactly like his fake father.

Yeah, it's kind of dumb. Even Robert himself is a Targaryen descendant, after all, and his entire family has "black of hair and eye" as a known feature. GRRM's kind of derpy about how genetics work sometimes, but at least he understands how dominant/recessive traits function, what with it being a plot point in the first book. Black hair overrides blond hair. It is known.

Targ looks are most likely incredibly recessive due to excessive inbreeding, to be entirely honest.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

Y'know that blizzard that's loving with Stannis and his march on Winterfell? It gets stronger the closer they get, meaning it's centered on Winterfell, it lasts for a completely unbelievable amount of time and doesn't move on, and the snowfall starts literally as soon as Roose and Fake Arya get married.

Oh ok, yes I do remember that. I thought...something else entirely.

E: Has there been any texts that suggests its some sort of pissed off deity? I guess that is where my disconnect was. I'm not trying to be contrary either, though I will admit I am a bit of a ASOIAF Atheist

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only thing I noticed about Theon and the miller's wife is like everyone else in game of thrones he has an obsession with big dark nipples.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Davincie posted:

What is the show, I could translate what he said.

I found this http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/924/Showbizz/article/detail/1707152/2013/09/18/Rutger-Hauer-denkt-een-rol-te-hebben-gehad-in-Game-of-Thrones.dhtml

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bobjr posted:

The only thing I noticed about Theon and the miller's wife is like everyone else in game of thrones he has an obsession with big dark nipples.

Well, to be fair, big dark nipples are pretty sweet

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Targ looks are most likely incredibly recessive due to excessive inbreeding, to be entirely honest.

Which is kind of fortunate for Ned, Lyanna and Baby Jon.

"Promise me, Ned."
"I totally would but the kid got purple eyes and silver hair for gently caress's sake."

Though apparently this logic doesn't apply if one of the parents is an olive skinned and black haired Martell.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 19, 2013

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I thought it was just a blizzard. A regular ol' blizzard

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

whalestory posted:

It was :ssh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

whalestory posted:

No, it's totally Bran practicing the entire god thing!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Conquistador posted:

E: Has there been any texts that suggests its some sort of pissed off deity? I guess that is where my disconnect was. I'm not trying to be contrary either, though I will admit I am a bit of a ASOIAF Atheist

whalestory posted:

There's nothing explicitly supernatural about it, but again -- it is a giant blizzard that comes out of nowhere, starts on top of Winterfell (which is nowhere near any bodies of water), and then does not move, just staying right there and constantly growing stronger even past the point where seasoned Northmen expected it to move on/end, and it starts exactly when Roose Bolton marries Fake Arya in front of a heart tree. It's a preponderance of coincidences.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Jon's chapters at the wall describe the weather as being more mild then that of Winterfell hinting that winter itself is eminating from that location. I really like this theory because it adds depth to the house words "Winter is Coming" as well as weight to Ned's constant reminders that "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell".

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

CapnAndy posted:

There's nothing explicitly supernatural about it, but again -- it is a giant blizzard that comes out of nowhere, starts on top of Winterfell (which is nowhere near any bodies of water), and then does not move, just staying right there and constantly growing stronger even past the point where seasoned Northmen expected it to move on/end, and it starts exactly when Roose Bolton marries Fake Arya in front of a heart tree. It's a preponderance of coincidences.

I missed this localization entirely. I thought this was the Big Blizzard bringing on the Long Winter and covered the whole north.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Which is kind of fortunate for Ned, Lyanna and Baby Jon.

"Promise me, Ned."
"I totally would be the kid got purple eyes and silver hair for gently caress's sake."

Though apparently this logic doesn't apply if one of the parents is an olive skinned and black haired Martell.

Some families have the Targaryen/Valyrian look and the supposed mother for Ned's Bastard (Ashara Dayne) was one of those.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Sometimes I hope the real answer GRRM was looking for was "His parents are Willa and Ned, duh. It's spelled out in the book!"

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

CapnAndy posted:

Also, it's said that Bran the Builder built all of Winterfell, Storm's End, and The Wall. We know for certain the latter two are magical, so it's not much of a stretch to propose that Winterfell is, too.

This is far from certain, though, since it presumes that Bran the Builder built all three, that Bran the Builder ever existed in the first place, and that two being magical means the third is too.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Ballz posted:

Got a link where he says he's in GoT? As far as I can tell, that hasn't been reported anywhere at this point.

Meanwhile, a fan snapped this photo of Sansa and Dontos:

Just in case anyone needed any more reassurance that the show would be delving into that particular subplot.

My immersion is ruined by their little plastic water bottles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

elgarbo posted:

My immersion is ruined by their little plastic water bottles.

Not by the tour bus?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If that's where I think it is, it's basically the bus station just outside the old town of Dubrovnik :laugh:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pascallion posted:

Sometimes I hope the real answer GRRM was looking for was "His parents are Willa and Ned, duh. It's spelled out in the book!"

Nah Willa was just the wet-nurse, it was the fisherman's daughter.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

lifts cats over head posted:

Jon's chapters at the wall describe the weather as being more mild then that of Winterfell hinting that winter itself is eminating from that location. I really like this theory because it adds depth to the house words "Winter is Coming" as well as weight to Ned's constant reminders that "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell".

So are you trying to say that without a Stark in Winterfell that the shows go crazy and screw everything up?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

A slight derail back to secret Targs, apologies in advance.

I don't actually think Tyrion is Aerys son. Mostly I wonder if Tywin thought so.

Theon Kinslayer is fact though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boldor posted:

Also, it's said that Bran the Builder built all of Winterfell, Storm's End, and The Wall. We know for certain the latter two are magical, so it's not much of a stretch to propose that Winterfell is, too.

We don't "know for certain" that Storm's End is magical, it's just a myth. Also the myth that Brandon the Builder advised on its construction is separate and conflicting.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Melisandre had to get under the walls of Storms End to let out the shadow baby because of the spells in the walls.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GodFish posted:

Melisandre had to get under the walls of Storms End to let out the shadow baby because of the spells in the walls.

It was really just a metaphor for women taking a submissive role to men

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

GodFish posted:

Well, that's what she said but she's wrong about almost everything so

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012

Ballz posted:

WiC's twitter says the Hauer casting is a false alarm, and that there was confusion between Game of Thrones and "The Scorpion King: The Lost Throne."

He was just being a confused old man apparently, ah well.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I didn't see this posted yet: sample pages of Wit and Wisdom.

Looks about as :effort: as we were all imagining. Buy The Hedge Knight graphic novel for your non-book-reading friends for two dollars cheaper, not this.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

Would the statement really have such a double meaning? You'd assume he means that Winterfell is the Starks' home, and their family must not let anyone take it over. But then you'd also assume that "There's always money in the banana stand" meant that it is a profitable enterprise.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I have a question (I haven't read the novels but I've eaten my way through most of the wiki) that you guys might be able to answer: why are Lannister armies not on their way to smoke out Stannis? I mean, he lost a significant portion of his troops and he still has a problem of being so intensely unlikable that I'd wager his armies would fold quickly against a combined force of Lannisters and Tyrells. Even more weirdly, apparently Stannis later decides to march north, leaving his core lands exposed. Can anyone educate me on the logic in this military manoeuver?

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Yureina posted:

So are you trying to say that without a Stark in Winterfell that the shows go crazy and screw everything up?

Winterfell is a thermostat and only the Starks have the proper certification to adjust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

I have a question (I haven't read the novels but I've eaten my way through most of the wiki) that you guys might be able to answer: why are Lannister armies not on their way to smoke out Stannis? I mean, he lost a significant portion of his troops and he still has a problem of being so intensely unlikable that I'd wager his armies would fold quickly against a combined force of Lannisters and Tyrells. Even more weirdly, apparently Stannis later decides to march north, leaving his core lands exposed. Can anyone educate me on the logic in this military manoeuver?

Stannis controls the navy and Dragonstone is an island.

Also, Stannis is only unlikeable from the perspective of lords, highborne and politicians. His men are fiercely loyal to him.

• Locked thread