Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Zoness posted:

The real question is - do people actually like playing Jund? What about Pod or Twin?

(Personally I like robots and green men).
Why not like playing Jund? It is a midrange deck that aims to play a game of magic. It doesn't try to lock the game down, or counter everything, or combo out ASAP. Not that there anything wrong with any of those things. I've been enjoying playing it. It definitely isn't unbeatable. RG tron eats it alive unless a sowing salt lands, and the burn matchup is mediocre. Affinity is also moderate to unfavorable, depending on the particular build. Lingering souls helps, but not all decks run it. Pod is maybe 50/50 in my experience, and has largely come down to whoever wins the die roll. You usually can avoid being comboed out because of hand disruption and targeted removal, but they have enough midrange power to hang with you.

I have affinity as well, but in general I find it less consistent. It doesn't really try to play an interactive game of magic as much as Jund does. You put your hand on the table, turn things sideways, and hope they don't have answers. If they do, you lose. If they don't, you win.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Is there any reason, should Wizards unban a portion of the blue cards being discussed, why Jund would not just become some kind of BUG deck instead and become a much grindier version of itself? I've thought about such a deck prior to this discussion, and I've not been able to come to any real conclusion. Is it that the deck would not be willing to drop its one mana disruption spells in favour of Ponder/Preordain/Scry? Is the deck not willing to drop any of its creature/Liliana suite to include stronger spells and support Snapcaster Mage?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, if they did some blue unbannings shardless bug would instantly become viable in modern. Would need to get get, jace, ancestral vision, and ponder back.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Well, if they did some blue unbannings shardless bug would instantly become viable in modern. Would need to get get, jace, ancestral vision, and ponder back.

And, ya know, Shardless Agent.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I suppose that would explain why I've never seen it. I do see that it is only a planechase card now though, and isn't modern legal.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Printing cards in the modern frame that are not modern legal is a pretty big mistake on Wizards part, I think.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm not sure we need Jace back but I might be biased because I got beat up by a dude playin Shardless Bug earlier. I finally built up enough Bitterblossom tokens to kill that fucker and he just dropped another one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

Why not like playing Jund? It is a midrange deck that aims to play a game of magic. It doesn't try to lock the game down, or counter everything, or combo out ASAP.

I dunno - it seems that the implication that "a game of magic" isn't those things like combo out or lock down the game or whatever. I personally just have a distaste for midrange decks in general and I'm certainly not saying that Jund is really easy to play (highly interactive decks usually aren't) but the deck reeks of jamming the best cards available into a single deck with no particular synergy and even some un-synergistic parts, it gets a bunch of one-for-one's and can sustain that to win because of Confidant.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

netcat posted:

Printing cards in the modern frame that are not modern legal is a pretty big mistake on Wizards part, I think.

What frame did you expect them to use for Jace TMS in FTV:20?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

kizudarake posted:

Sorry, I meant completely new cards like Shardless Agent. It's just a bit confusing and I see people who think they are modern or even standard legal quite regularly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Jace, the Mind Sculptor was legal in Modern though.

For like ten seconds. :v:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

The real question is - do people actually like playing Jund? What about Pod or Twin?

(Personally I like robots and green men).

I've never played Jund, but I enjoy the hell out of Pod (Melira) because it gives you plenty of opportunity to outplay your opponent and you get to have silver bullets. Before this elves list popped up on my radar, Twin was the next deck I was going to build. I just really like modern. I wish it were more accessible though because it's not super popular in my area. I think fetches need to be reprinted in some fashion before that will happen though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Any excuse to see the old card frame dusted off for nonstandard products (in multiple senses of the term) is something I can get behind :getin:

There's probably like a 0% chance it ever expands beyond a small subset of Judge promos, though :smith:

edit: Besides, if they attempted to start the standard of old card frame = not standard/modern legal, it would just create massive confusion because of all the non-modern-legal cards that have already been printed with the modern frame. You already have people who think that printed in modern card frame = is automatically modern legal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

I've never played Jund, but I enjoy the hell out of Pod (Melira) because it gives you plenty of opportunity to outplay your opponent and you get to have silver bullets. Before this elves list popped up on my radar, Twin was the next deck I was going to build. I just really like modern. I wish it were more accessible though because it's not super popular in my area. I think fetches need to be reprinted in some fashion before that will happen though.

Who uses fetches? Mox Opal all the way :awesomelon:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ScarletBrother posted:

I have zero evidence to back this up but I feel like Wizards wants the shocklands out of Standard before we get fetchlands back, maybe even reprints of the Onslaught ones. Again, just baseless speculation on my part but maybe we'll see them after RTR rotates out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

C-Euro posted:

I have zero evidence to back this up but I feel like Wizards wants the shocklands out of Standard before we get fetchlands back, maybe even reprints of the Onslaught ones. Again, just baseless speculation on my part but maybe we'll see them after RTR rotates out.

At this point the only real vector for printing them into Standard before RTR rotates out would be M15, anyway.

I actually think it's not impossible that they could decide to go for a Super Standard with fetches + shocks, but they probably don't want fetchlands in a core set anyway, so we'll see fetches (if we do) in another expert block sometime in the next few years.

And I hope they print the Onslaught ones first/at the same time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

Banning DRS would hurt a lot more decks than Jund. Pod, elves (I haven't even gotten it built yet!), etc all run him.

Elves is still okay without DRS (barring how it's not already in a great place in modern) - you just lose out on some better mana and safety against Electrolyze (pendelhaven still dumps all over electrolyze but it's a one-of so yeah)

Ban DRS, Unban Dread Return :getin:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2013

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've heard people suggesting in a few places that an answer to jund might be to get t rid of the fetchlands. I think it's a little extreme, but I'm curious what would happen if they banned just, say, Verdant Catacombs. Is there any deck it'd hit particularly hard besides Jund?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

G/B rock, junk/Doran, pod, 4 color gifts, any loam or dredge deck. Future possible decks would get hurt like BUG.

Zoo and W/B tokens might get away with no verdants, I hear W/B likes to splash a single Temple Garden for DRS.

Maybe the metagame will just adjust itself to combo with 4x Leyline of Sanctity in the side.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

oryx posted:

I've heard people suggesting in a few places that an answer to jund might be to get t rid of the fetchlands. I think it's a little extreme, but I'm curious what would happen if they banned just, say, Verdant Catacombs. Is there any deck it'd hit particularly hard besides Jund?

If they banned any one fetchlands, decks would just re-adjust their mana bases to be fetchable by the unbanned ones, so nothing would change. They'd have to ban them all if they banned any.

Not sure what it'd do to the format; there are a few decks that already don't run any (Affinity, Soul Sisters, D&T) and a few that probably can go without (Hatebears, Fae, Storm), but Pod, UWR and Jund all lean pretty heavily on getting the right mana at the right time.

Edit: There's a trick in Legacy decks where your fetchlands don't match your colours (i.e. running Misty Rainforest and Polluted Delta in UWR) to hide information about what deck you're running until after you crack one. Modern might try to do the same thing?

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 21, 2013

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Loot Pinata posted:

Not sure what it'd do to the format; there are a few decks that already don't run any (Affinity, Soul Sisters, D&T) and a few that probably can go without (Hatebears, Fae, Storm), but Pod, UWR and Jund all lean pretty heavily on getting the right mana at the right time.

So you are saying it would weaken the most dominant strategies, and barely touch the tier 2 decks? Seems like a great argument to me to ban them (ok, Affinity might not be tier 2? But there's a lot of hate being played versus that deck). I've heard people say Tron will dominate, but that seems silly considering Tron has a great matchup against Jund etc, not against something like Affinity or Twin.

It's also funny to me that I hear a lot people say it's a no-brainer that Wizards won't reprint fetchlands in Standard for a while, as that would be way to good with the shocklands, but they can't imagine the same combo being way to good in Modern? I understand Legacy has no issues with it, but ehm, Wasteland?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't think banning the fetchlands would hurt 3 color decks much. Jund wouldn't be able to splash a 4th color, but with all the modern legal lands out there it would manage. A deck like Jund is willing to go to 15 on turn 1, I don't think it would blink at running painlands alongside the shocks if fetches were banned.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Konstantin posted:

I don't think banning the fetchlands would hurt 3 color decks much. Jund wouldn't be able to splash a 4th color, but with all the modern legal lands out there it would manage. A deck like Jund is willing to go to 15 on turn 1, I don't think it would blink at running painlands alongside the shocks if fetches were banned.

You're really underestimating how good fetches are.
If you are running shocks fetchlands are pretty much 5 color lands.

Banning the fetches and printing this...

Super evolving wilds
Land
Pay 1 life, T: Search your deck for a basic land and put it into play.

Is noticeably worse than fetches because of number of copies and the fact you get dual lands from cracking the fetch.

Note: I have no opinion on how moderns manabase should be or what to ban, i'm just pointing out how good fetches+shocks really are.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm surprised no one has just recommended that they make a rule saying that you can't run Dark Confidant and Tarmagoyf together. There, the (nonexistant) Jund problem is solved.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So not knowing much about dredge, and not having played it much before I decided to put together a quick manaless dredge deck on MTGO. Been goldfishing, trying to figure out the deck. It is funny what you can do with good draws. Once you dread return griselbrand and draw-7 dredge everything explodes into chaos.

The board on turn two of a good draw.

I imagine that manaless is rough with deathrite around though. Discard your dredger, and they eat it. Whelp. Unless your discard was a phantasmagorian, and you have multiple dredgers, you might be in trouble.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

DurdleDuck posted:

considering Tron has a great matchup against Jund etc, not against something like Affinity

This is not true anymore. Jund's discard suite hurts a ton atop their miser land destruction, and most GR Tron sideboards are tuned to fight Affinity; you either draw the correct removal for the situation or don't. It's 50/50 conservatively in both cases.

Veyrall posted:

I'm surprised no one has just recommended that they make a rule saying that you can't run Dark Confidant and Tarmagoyf together. There, the (nonexistant) Jund problem is solved.

Because this is not how the Banned/Restricted list works and we're trying to have a conversation.

Granted they did make that weird exception for Stoneforge Mystic, but I doubt they will make corner case exceptions for Modern.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I feel like modern would highly benefit from a way to add new cards to the pool without going through standard first, like the Commander series for legacy.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

This is not true anymore. Jund's discard suite hurts a ton atop their miser land destruction, and most GR Tron sideboards are tuned to fight Affinity; you either draw the correct removal for the situation or don't. It's 50/50 conservatively in both cases.

Most Tron decks I see have 3 Nature's Claim in the sideboard. I don't see that as "tuned to fight Affinity". A lot of them have like 7-8 pieces against Twin, because that matchup is nigh-unwinnable otherwise. Also, I really disagree with your assessment of the Jund-Tron matchup, even BG (with four Tectonic Edges main) can't claim more than a 50/50 matchup against Tron.

Only Thoughtseizes really matter, because they take away Karn/Wurmcoil, both of which Jund is very vulnerable to. Inquisition only takes effects Tron has tons of. Land destruction slows them down, yes, but that one Fulminator Mage is not going to get you there generally. Jund is not some awesome aggro deck where buying a turn or two at the cost of three mana (often a full turn) will win you the game. In many games Tron will simply have the time to cast Wurmcoil Engines and Karn even without Tron completed.

On top of that, Jund's main selling point is often that it can trade one-for-one until its card quality comes out ahead in top deck mode. Tron is a deck that is actually very good in top deck mode too: it's draws are all card draw, Tron pieces and Karns/Wurmcoils.

If your testing told you differently, I would love to hear about it. Maybe you are sequencing your plays differently with Jund, or have a better sideboard plan?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

So not knowing much about dredge, and not having played it much before I decided to put together a quick manaless dredge deck on MTGO. Been goldfishing, trying to figure out the deck. It is funny what you can do with good draws. Once you dread return griselbrand and draw-7 dredge everything explodes into chaos.

The board on turn two of a good draw.

I imagine that manaless is rough with deathrite around though. Discard your dredger, and they eat it. Whelp. Unless your discard was a phantasmagorian, and you have multiple dredgers, you might be in trouble.

Yeah, and one weakness is that with manaless you pretty much always want to be on the draw, so if they have a turn one DRS you can't pitch a dredger, unless you have Street Wraith. This deck is basically invulnerable to blue disruption though.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

You're really underestimating how good fetches are.
If you are running shocks fetchlands are pretty much 5 color lands.

Banning the fetches and printing this...

Super evolving wilds
Land
Pay 1 life, T: Search your deck for a basic land and put it into play.

Is noticeably worse than fetches because of number of copies and the fact you get dual lands from cracking the fetch.

Note: I have no opinion on how moderns manabase should be or what to ban, i'm just pointing out how good fetches+shocks really are.

Funny story, I thought of this too.

Which reminds me I really need to finish working on the Planescape MTG set.

One thing a friend and I were discussing, was the fact that with the continued printing of more and more "good" cards and less "cards that are good when in a synergy" we'll eventually start seeing more and more Jund-like decks, where it doesn't really have much of a strategy or synergy to it, just "these are all the best cards in these colors. I'm playing all of them.", which I don't think I really enjoy as a way of deck building.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think it's finally time everyone admits Modern didn't turn out to be very interesting and the only reason people are playing it is becase A) It's getting Wizards support and B) People are apparently unwilling to spend the extra 200-500 dollars that's the price difference between Modern and Legacy at this point.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I definitely enjoy playing legacy more. The field is way more varied, due to often having better answers. Things like wasteland and stifle help against greedy manabases. Force of will against combo. I think the biggest problem with legacy is the reserve list though. Without the power of reprint key cards, it is tough to control prices and keep the format healthy.

Modern is definitely a bit stale feeling by comparison. Wizards does seem to be working hard on it though, and I expect it will improve with time.

AgentSythe posted:

Yeah, and one weakness is that with manaless you pretty much always want to be on the draw, so if they have a turn one DRS you can't pitch a dredger, unless you have Street Wraith. This deck is basically invulnerable to blue disruption though.
Just lost in a 2-man queue with it. Won the first game, going off on my turn two. Dread Return Griselbrand into dredge the deck into Dread Return Flame-Kin Zealot. Game two he had me go first, so I couldn't immediately discard. He then had a turn two rest in peace. Game three he opened with him needling phantasmagorian on turn one, which I had in my hand. Had to drop a dredger instead. Turn two he does rest in piece again. If he hadn't have needled, I would have been able to cabal therapy him. It shut me down too fast though.

Edit: Hooray, just won in a two-man against bug. Didn't even manage to dread-return a a griselbrand. He he was mostly just overwhelmed by zombie tokens and Ichorids that kept coming back. Had to fight through a lot of dazes.

Another win, I guess. Opponents who concede the match turn three on the first game are the best opponents.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 22, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Stinky Pit posted:

I think it's finally time everyone admits Modern didn't turn out to be very interesting and the only reason people are playing it is becase A) It's getting Wizards support and B) People are apparently unwilling to spend the extra 200-500 dollars that's the price difference between Modern and Legacy at this point.

At least in my experience, $200-500 extra is on the low end. I'm trying to build Goblins for Legacy and according to deckbox.org the list I want to make is $1127, with $860 of that for the mana base. And only two cards in the whole deck are on the reserve list (Plateau)! The problem with Legacy is that a lot of the cards might as well be on the reserve list, because many of the more popular Legacy pieces (like Wasteland or Force) don't fit Wizards' current design philosophy and power level definitions. Unless they wanted to do Legacy Masters or something.

The other big difference between the two formats is that Legacy obviously has way more cards available to it than Modern, so what they need to do with Modern is encourage a more diverse set of decks to make up for the fact that fewer options have been printed for that format. Whether they do that through un-banning some stuff or reprinting some older cards that can cross that time boundary, I don't know. Wizards has always said they want to sculpt Modern with its ban list, but they seem more inclined to sculpt through banning than sculpt through un-banning.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 22, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Saw a legacy eight-man queue needed one more person, so I hopped in with the manaless dredge deck. Won match one, though I am not sure what the opposing deck was. What legacy deck runs chalice, Hanweir Watchkeep, mountains, and ancient tomb? I saw Phyrexian Revokers postboard, but don't know if they were in the main deck.

Match two was against show and tell. He shows an emrakul turn three, and I tell it to gently caress off with an angel of despair in response. I win game game. Games two and three, he mulligans until he has a grafdiggers cage, and puts it out the first turn. Such was the end of my dredge deck's first eight man. I suppose that is the weakness of dredge.

One amusing option I read about was siding into a dark depths deck for games two and three. I imagine it probably wouldn't be very good, but it might have a better shot against cards like cage and rest in piece than dredge does.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Filthy Monkey posted:

Saw a legacy eight-man queue needed one more person, so I hopped in with the manaless dredge deck. Won match one, though I am not sure what the opposing deck was. What legacy deck runs chalice, Hanweir Watchkeep, mountains, and ancient tomb? I saw Phyrexian Revokers postboard, but don't know if they were in the main deck.

First one is Werewolf Stompy, and is the only Legacy deck I have, and never ever get a chance to play. Tries to Blood Moon/Chalice/Trinisphere into Werewolves which flip when the opponent can't play spells, using Hanweir Watchkeep and Instigator Gang. Its not good, but is amusing when it comes together and I wanted an excuse to play werewolves in a constructed format. Revoker is usually mainboard.

Edit: The other reason for Werewolves is that it sort of becomes more Human Tribal using Cavern of Souls and Simian Spirit Guide to power out a T1/T2 Magus of the Moon through any counters.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Good to know. Thankfully blood moon and magus of the moon are pretty just blanks and bears against manaless dredge. Trinisphere would have somewhat sucked, but I didn't see it.

I do enjoy how much blood moon fucks a lot of decks though. Kind of makes me want to build big red, to be able to play those moons, chalices, and trinispheres myself. Pretty decent video of it in action here.
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-calebd-legacy-sneak-and-breach/

I guess imperial painter would be another option for fun blood moon times. I wonder which is better. Still not as experienced with legacy as I am modern. Enjoying it though.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

is the only Legacy deck I have, and never ever get a chance to play.
That is the one nice advantage of MTGO. You actually get to play, even at midnight while only wearing boxers. I sometimes get the feeling that a lot of the paper players do way more talking and reading about magic than actually playing. If I had friends who played paper I would too, and probably even make a cube. I just don't have much interest in playing at gaming stores.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Jenx posted:

One thing a friend and I were discussing, was the fact that with the continued printing of more and more "good" cards and less "cards that are good when in a synergy" we'll eventually start seeing more and more Jund-like decks, where it doesn't really have much of a strategy or synergy to it, just "these are all the best cards in these colors. I'm playing all of them.", which I don't think I really enjoy as a way of deck building.

Good stuff is always and entirely built on too much mana fixing. Since lots of mana fixing removes the default limit preventing you from jamming all the best cards into one deck and just enables you to just well, jam all the best cards in one deck.

And a lot of how standard has gotten away from being block vs. block(much to it's benefit) is by making the best stuff "good cards" rather than being whatever linear block strategy is from the two blocks.

I mean personally i'm not a huge fan of linear synergy decks or good stuff decks, i like the balance of figuring out how to get the most out of the good stuff cards and what medicore cards best support them, but that's really only a thing that happens in standard(and is why i dislike most multicolor blocks.)

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 22, 2013

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

DurdleDuck posted:

Most Tron decks I see have 3 Nature's Claim in the sideboard. I don't see that as "tuned to fight Affinity". A lot of them have like 7-8 pieces against Twin, because that matchup is nigh-unwinnable otherwise. Also, I really disagree with your assessment of the Jund-Tron matchup, even BG (with four Tectonic Edges main) can't claim more than a 50/50 matchup against Tron.

And the 4th Wurmcoil and Spellskites, and a majority are going up to two main deck Ghost Quarters. If you can stop them from shifting counters from Ravager onto a manland, or kill their Cranial Plating, or kill their Infect land, or prevent a Steel Overseer swarm, you win. If they do one of the things that you aren't holding an answer to, you die. It's similar to Jund in standard versus aggro decks.

I'd also point out that if you play the Affinity deck, and you know all the tricks, you will be able to play around whatever non-nut hand they have when you play against it with Tron. I have not lost a single match to Affinity because I played that deck for 12 years, and can basically determine what's in their hand at any point in the game (but most importantly, what they are going to do on turn 2).

DurdleDuck posted:

Only Thoughtseizes really matter, because they take away Karn/Wurmcoil, both of which Jund is very vulnerable to. Inquisition only takes effects Tron has tons of. Land destruction slows them down, yes, but that one Fulminator Mage is not going to get you there generally. Jund is not some awesome aggro deck where buying a turn or two at the cost of three mana (often a full turn) will win you the game. In many games Tron will simply have the time to cast Wurmcoil Engines and Karn even without Tron completed.

On top of that, Jund's main selling point is often that it can trade one-for-one until its card quality comes out ahead in top deck mode. Tron is a deck that is actually very good in top deck mode too: it's draws are all card draw, Tron pieces and Karns/Wurmcoils.

If your testing told you differently, I would love to hear about it. Maybe you are sequencing your plays differently with Jund, or have a better sideboard plan?

Jund's sideboard plan should be to strip Tron's hand of the correct search pieces, resolve Liliana, destroy one land, then ultimate Liliana. Often times this is accelerated by a turn thanks to Deathrite Shaman. If your Jund opponent isn't at 8 life by the end of the game via their own shocklands and fetchlands they are doing it wrong. Smart opponents will put the correct amount of pressure on the board to make playing Karn a 1-for-1 or 2-for-1 only, or make you have to spend multiple turns setting up Relic and Pyroclasm. That is if you can even get to that point.

So in general if you have redundancy in your answers and they try to make you discard, you win. And if you pull the correct answer for everything and they don't make you discard, you win. But they will have better (fully greedy) mana for consistency, manlands, and the opportunity to make the plays, so minus the absolute nut hands from either deck it's quite a coinflip.

We can even appeal to authority on this via the words of Reid Duke who happened to split his matches (2-2) against Tron at GP Detroit (clarification in italics by me, since he's referring to the previous paragraph talking about Affinity):

Reid Duke, on Jund's sideboard posted:

Two Fulminator Mages and a Sowing Salt can be described in the same way (what you need to feel like you have even odds to win a match against Affinity) except applying to Urzatron. Sowing Salt is immensely more powerful in that particular matchup, as you will rarely lose when you resolve it. With Fulminator Mage, you can sometimes lose to Tron even after casting one or sometimes even two copies. However, it's one of the most widely applicable sideboard cards; it's great against Scapeshift and U/W/R and can come in against a lot of other decks such as Jund. I like splitting them because even against Tron, if you were to draw all Sowing Salts, you might effectively lose before you can cast them, so the cheaper Fulminator Mage is a perfect bridge to the more powerful Sowing Salt.

And don't even get me started on BG Rock with their 4x Tec Edge, 4x Fulminator, 4x Liliana package :barf:.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Kind of makes me want to build big red

:getin:

That deck is seriously the greatest. We've been brewing it on the Source for some time. A lot of people have been enjoying having Top and then running a few fetches for shuffle effects. That part is up to you though. Different from Caleb's list, you should probably run (in addition to the copies of pyromancy) something like Woodfall Primus to deal with Ensnaring Bridge and Karakas. Karakas you have other outs to but it can actually be difficult to produce red mana with this deck sometimes.

edit: also I hate hate hate Blightsteel Colossus. CalebD is a much better magic player than I will probably ever be but that card is bad. Turn one Worldspine Wurm is just as good as turn 1 Blightsteel and has the added bonus of not being made completely useless by a deathrite shaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

And the 4th Wurmcoil and Spellskites, and a majority are going up to two main deck Ghost Quarters. If you can stop them from shifting counters from Ravager onto a manland, or kill their Cranial Plating, or kill their Infect land, or prevent a Steel Overseer swarm, you win. If they do one of the things that you aren't holding an answer to, you die. It's similar to Jund in standard versus aggro decks.

I'd also point out that if you play the Affinity deck, and you know all the tricks, you will be able to play around whatever non-nut hand they have when you play against it with Tron. I have not lost a single match to Affinity because I played that deck for 12 years, and can basically determine what's in their hand at any point in the game (but most importantly, what they are going to do on turn 2).

I can very well imagine you personally doing better against Affinity with Tron if you've played so much Affinity. Affinity is a very tough deck to play correctly, so your expertise might well put you ahead a step. Still, even you mention a lot of ways for you to just lose when playing Tron, despite not losing at all (lucky! :) ).

AnacondaHL posted:

Jund's sideboard plan should be to strip Tron's hand of the correct search pieces, resolve Liliana, destroy one land, then ultimate Liliana. Often times this is accelerated by a turn thanks to Deathrite Shaman. If your Jund opponent isn't at 8 life by the end of the game via their own shocklands and fetchlands they are doing it wrong. Smart opponents will put the correct amount of pressure on the board to make playing Karn a 1-for-1 or 2-for-1 only, or make you have to spend multiple turns setting up Relic and Pyroclasm. That is if you can even get to that point.

So in general if you have redundancy in your answers and they try to make you discard, you win. And if you pull the correct answer for everything and they don't make you discard, you win. But they will have better (fully greedy) mana for consistency, manlands, and the opportunity to make the plays, so minus the absolute nut hands from either deck it's quite a coinflip.

We can even appeal to authority on this via the words of Reid Duke who happened to split his matches (2-2) against Tron at GP Detroit (clarification in italics by me, since he's referring to the previous paragraph talking about Affinity):

[Duke quote]

And don't even get me started on BG Rock with their 4x Tec Edge, 4x Fulminator, 4x Liliana package :barf:.

This does not necessarily disagree with what I was saying, but it's interesting that we draw different conclusions (perhaps the matchup "feels" worse than it actually is?). The same with the Reid Duke quote: he wants to even the odds with his sideboard, and adds three cards, of which he says the Fulminators are not necessarily good enough (like I said too), but Sowing Salt is immensely powerful (which I don't see often in Jund sideboards), but you can still lose before you can cast it. Now I can imagine Sowing Salt shoring up your win percentage quite a bit, but that's only one copy, and you are very likely to have lost game 1, so ... cross your fingers I guess? 50/50 post board then, maybe, but if G1 is closer to 70/30 in Tron's favor, that still feels pretty good for Tron (obviously not sure about exact %s, you get the general idea).

(Also, Reid Duke being one of the best players in the world right now might be good for his win percentage against everything ^_^)

As for the discard strategy: you actively go for the Expedition Maps and Sylvan Scryings with your discard, even over the threats? (unless it will let them resolve one immediately, I assume) That feels so weird to me, but maybe that's what makes the difference? I'll definitely try it next time, thanks! It might also help with playing BG, although I still find it hard to imagine that turns into a walk over even with the Fulminator Mages post board. When I play that deck, it always feels like I should be favored, but I often end up losing G1 and splitting the games after, leading to plenty of losses still. I agree it's definitely better than regular Jund, though, even if only because of the increased chance at more than two LD spells.

Aside from our discussion on Tron matchups (for which I thank you), do you have an opinion on what banning fetches would do for the Modern format? Anybody else? I find it an intriguing idea.

• Locked thread