Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Glazius posted:

"I'm sending my soldiers to kill you now."

Geez, Darth Tanktop, what do you call what just happened to Quin? A neighborly greeting?

Pretty much. If they die then they obviously weren't worthy of being your neighbor. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tatooine Update 4: Hunting for WMD's in a desert <Insert Political Commentary here>

Begin Recording

: So unstoppable super weapon stopped. Giant robot dealt with thanks to my smuggler minion. We should be pretty much done here...

: There's still Leksende to deal with.

: Who?

: Unhinged cyborg with a robot army who tried to kill us?

: I can think of about six people who meet that description

: *Sigh* the guy with the funny hair.

: Oh Him! I thought he got run over by a pod-racer.

: Pod-racers won't be invented for another three thousand years at least.Anyway we need to scout out the location of Czerka's base.

: Hmm, We're picking up strange readings here. Doesn't look like our missing base but it's definitely Czerka coded comm chatter. You might want to go check it out.

: Whatever this place is, it's big.

: And full of droids

: Tell me that isn't an automated listening post.

: I could but Jedi aren't supposed to lie.

: Make that used to be an automated listening post. Better go tell Fauler that Czerka's been spying on us.

Later back at the militia base.

: Still a few minutes before those scans are processed. Huh. What about...

: Hey--look who made it back.

: Bad news, Fauler. That reading was a Czerka listening post.

: Blast. Leksende must've set it up. Now the cyborg freak has our data. Czerka can find their lost base as easily as we can.

: Czerka was bound to find their own base.

: But I don't have to be happy about it. We assumed Czerka came to keep us out of the facility. Maybe we were mistaken. Maybe they want what they left behind.

: Grommik's files. We saw some things...

: Yeah. Turns out Czerka didn't come to Tatooine to build or test the device. They found it here, underground. An artefact powerful enough to wipe out a planet just buried in the desert.

: Uh, yeah you'd have to be crazy to do something like that... But they shouldn't have left it behind. They're not getting it back.

: I agree completely. Czerka discovered the device. They analyzed it. Then something happened that made them abandon it. Kamus? Has the computer cross-referenced the scans with Grommik's schematics?

: Um. Yes. It looks like the main entrance is a few kilometers away. What about the door codes?

:There's a bunch of relay towers around the base. They'll have a mess of data, the codes along with old communications. Downloading everything from the relay towers will allow you to get into that base and destroy the device. It can't fall into the wrong hands.

: I'll get there as soon as possible.

: Be careful in the base--in case they left traps, or if Leksende finds you....

: That'll do, Kamus. Time to let professionals finish the job.

Sometime After on the Dune Sea

:I'm surprised these things still work. Got the code but there was an attached Holo-message.

: Doctor Soprin, here. We've finished our initial catalogue of the cave artefacts, which register as over twenty thousand years old. You'd think that would narrow down the possible creators, wouldn't you? There weren't many societies capable of space travel in that period. But I can't find any society or species that fits these criteria. Even Gree technology isn't comparable. Anyway, Doctor Lerek and I will study the primary device and assign lesser relics to the others to keep them busy. Hopefully someone will find something useful. Czerka's going to make a fortune off this stuff if we can figure it out. End log.

: Ugh Sand People, They're coarse and rough and irritating and get everywhere.

: This is Director Antayen speaking. As you know, worker safety is one of Czerka's top priorities, and we take accidents seriously. Therefore, due to concerns surrounding studies of the device we are implementing a new policy. Anyone wishing to perform a physical inspection of the device must get written authorization from myself and Doctor Di-go. Research using droids and remote scanners may continue normally. Please note that this does not affect our division's overall schedule.

: I want my concerns on the record before more people get hurt. I'm worried about the device. It's energy readings keep fluctuating and it appears to be trying to link with the lesser artifacts. I think it's a weapon, maybe a bomb. Soprin's theory about it being a Gree Enclave creation are inane. We've already got evidence of an ancient alien civilisation visiting Tatooine--and they wern't Gree. We've seen similar technology in the Kashyyyk Shadowlands. I'm sure the Infinite Empire is tied to the device's origins, no matter what anyone says. And I'm tired of being ignored.

: Well, Doctor Lerek's gone. He's put in a transfer and is heading back to Anchorhead, taking one of the lesser relics with him. Good riddance. He was a pain to work with. Still... Lerek's theory about an ancient "Infinite Empire" and a master alien species was fringe science at best, but some of his data makes sense. I'm going to run a new series of tests tomorrow using a remote arm to open up the device. We'll see where it goes from there.

: This is Director Antayen to all Czerka employees. Please listen and remain calm. A few minutes ago we experienced a minor equipment failure in the main laboratory. As a precaution, we are initiating lockdown procedures. Do not attempt to override the systems or the computers will respond with force. Stay where you are and you'll be alerted when the situation resolves.

: :commissar:

: The Imprisoned One will be free, The rebirth has begun.

: Well that doesn't look good.

Later at the Czerka Base...

: [i}The base is already open this is not good.[/i]

: Relax what's the worst that could be in there.

: Sithspit! Cyborg-zombies, For when the regular kind just aren't threatening enough.

:zombie:: Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu Tatooine wgah'nagl fhtagn.

:zombie:: THE SLEEPER MUST AWAKEN!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkrRJnkz6rM"]Video Version Here[/url]

:Well this looks like the source of our zombie problems. I wonder what happens if I do this...

???: Come to me, Come close, until we are one.

: Oh boy, this does not look good.

: I am the Imprisoned One. Few beings have the strength to resist us... but you have earned my respect. We may share words.

: So what we talk first, and then you attack me?

: Yes. Your body will become my skin-vessel, and you will lead me to your people... but this way, you will achieve greatness. I am Rakata it is the name of my people. Eon's ago, our Infinite Empire ruled this world and so many others. Yet I reached for greater majesty, and my people sealed my mind in this box as punishment. I drifted in whiteness for over twenty thousand years.

: Sounds like you brought this on yourself.

: When your Czerka Corporation found my prison, I touched this world again. I created my skin-vessels and machine hands. I have learnt of your galaxy and found it wanting. I choose to remake it, and to give birth to a new Infinite Empire.

: Tatooine's a pretty sad place to found an Empire.

: I will transform it. I will redeem it. You will lead our army out of the sands. This world's settlements will fall and my skin-vessels will proceed to the stars. The time for resistance is over. Join us now.

: No Gods, No Masters! I will not be a slave again! Go gently caress a womp rat scum...

: So be it. If you will not serve me willingly I will have to persuade you otherwise.

: No more. I was... unprepared...

SWTOR Codex posted:

Rakata

Ten thousand years before the formation of the Republic, the Rakata ruled much of the known galaxy. War-like and cruel, strong in the Force and technologically advanced, they enslaved or wiped out every civilization they encountered. At its peak, nearly five hundred conquered worlds paid tribute to the Rakata Infinite Empire.

However, the Rakata's rapid expansion came to an abrupt end when a strange plague swept through the species. Millions died, and most of those who survived lost their connection to the Force. Suddenly vulnerable, the Rakata were unable to suppress a massive outbreak of violent slave uprisings.

The liberated worlds destroyed the creations and records of their defeated overlords, wiping out almost all trace and knowledge of the Rakata in the greater galaxy. A few thousand Rakata survivors--all that remained of the Infinite Empire--retreated to their hidden homeworld of Lehon, where they descended into barbarism.

: :golfclap: Marvellous. Absolutely Marvellous! We could never have excavated this place without your help. Oh, we knew where the base was--but getting inside? Ghastly work.
And I should say, I'm delighted to finally meet you in person.

: Do you have any idea what that "thing" is?

: Not a one. Exciting isn't it? You see when I was assigned to stop the Republic from finding this facility. I was intrigued by the "doomsday device" That my superiors told me to stay away only whet my appetite. I decided to take the device for myself.

: It will remain in my possession for now.

: Hear me out, first. I'm offering a very large sum of credits--as well as rescinding the "kill order" on Kamus--if you help me. Hand over the device, and the Republic never has to know; tell Fauler you destroyed it. What do you say?

: Does this answer your question?

: How can you do that! Do you know what that thing was? What it was worth? Oh, now you've left me no choice. I'm going to have to kill you. Painfully.

: I've been threatened by younglings with a more convincing threat than you.

: Wiping his face over the concrete was fun, Better report in to Fauler though.

Back at the SIS Safe house.

: Well--if it isn't my favourite Jedi, You look like you just walked out of a sandstorm.

: Was there a base? Did you see the device?

: Kamus was worried that if you failed, it'd mean the end of the world.

: Well, I--you saw Czerka's records!

: Yeah, and I've been worried, too. So catch your breath, then lets hear it.

: Leksende ambushed me--but I stopped him and the device.

: Wish I could say I'm surprised--thanks for handling them.

: So this over? We're sure?

: You'll still need to testify, Kamus. The investigation of Czerka won't end here.

: Get me to Coruscant, away from the Sand People and Czerka cyborg assassins--I'll testify all you want.

: You should know, scanners picked up a Czerka ship fleeing the system. They're running scared, now.

: If they cause any more problems, they're dead men.

: Anyway, I promised you payment. Don't ever say the SIS isn't grateful. Now take care of yourself. And try not to get pulled back into these corporate schemes--Kamus can tell you, they never really end.

: Let's blow this dustball.

:Finally, My sunburn has sunburn

In orbit aboard the RSS Galt

: General I've secured your Shock Drum prototype. Send a recovery team to pick it up, along with Seismologist Hare'en and Master Kiwiiks.

: Wonderful news. I have some thoughts for modifying the Shock Drum into an aerial bombardment device.

: I'll send a transport to Tatooine immediately--but don't get ahead of yourself, doctor. Let's hope your mission to Alderaan goes as well as it did here. Var Suthra out.

End Recording

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That fight against the Imprisoned One can be kind of tricky, what with the waves of infinitely respawning cyber-zombies. It's actually pretty cool, since normally you don't get much variation in fights.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I hate the grindy maze dungeon you have to navigate just to get to The Imprisoned One. I did nearly every planetary quest chain in my playthrough but seriously, I hate that dungeon so much I skipped it completely.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
Agreed. Screw that drat maze.

On the 'Forcequake': It's true, that particular power is one of the best for cackling maniacally to yourself as you murder things. It's even worse as a Sith Sorcerer, who get the equivalent in the mighty Force Storm, which is basically the same thing with lightning. Like all the Sorcerer abilities in fact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYCr-HQZSBo

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bahumat posted:

Agreed. Screw that drat maze.

On the 'Forcequake': It's true, that particular power is one of the best for cackling maniacally to yourself as you murder things. It's even worse as a Sith Sorcerer, who get the equivalent in the mighty Force Storm, which is basically the same thing with lightning. Like all the Sorcerer abilities in fact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYCr-HQZSBo

Yeah, just got it on my Sorcerer, as if I wasn't addicted to going UNLIMITED POWER already :science:. Interesting to hear Force Quake is the Counselor version; ran into it on enemies before (on Tatooine, actually, if memory serves) and was wondering. I do like that for the most part NPCs of a particular class seem to have abilities that said classes have as PCs, not as much NPC-only stuff as I would have expected.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #050
Stardate: Staying cool under pressure

Tricky job today. You wouldn’t think there’d be much work out in the desert, but you’d be wrong.

Welcome to the Dune Sea. Obviously named by somebody with a sense of humour. It’s sand as far as the eye can see, and then for another half a planet or so. The perfect place to get away from it all, or it would be if there weren’t so much going on.

Our first stop on the search for the Lightspring was a local fort. The militia holding it were friendly to the Republic, seems some friends of mine had been through and made life a little easier for them. Everybody’d heard of the Lightspring and were happy to give us some directions, but the fort’s head honcho picked me out for a little favor.

quote:

Lem Trudo: I’m Commander Trudo. Some out here insist the Imperials don’t plan to stay. I say once their excavations are complete, they’ll conquer Anchorhead!

Lem Trudo: But you… you could help hold them off, make sure they’re too busy with the Sand People to notice us.

Quinine: What do Sand People have to do with this?

Lem Trudo: Not just any Sand People – this is the most vicious tribe on Tatooine.

I could see where he was going with this. Propping up somebody to fight your battles for you is one of the Empire’s favorite games. I’d love to turn the tables on ‘em for a change.

quote:

Lem Trudo: The Empire’s poisoning their water, thinning them out as we speak. Pains me to say it, but we’ve got to help them…

It’s like the Captain always used to say – the enemy of my enemy can do all the work, just stay out of their way.

quote:

Lem Trudo: Right, but we’ve got to help them or they won’t be around long.

Lem Trudo: I’ve got some water cleanser here, should be enough to clean their tainted wells. Of course, they’ll try to kill you while you do it.

Lem Trudo: Still, if that tribe of Sand People fall, a lot of innocent people are next.

Quinine: That’s one tribe of Sand People that won’t fall to the Empire. I’ll make sure of it.

Poison’s exactly the sort of low the Empire’d stoop to, they’re not bothered about killing everyone in a whole tribe right down to the children. I don’t know much about these Sand People or their beef with the settlers, but I’m not one to stand by when the Empire’s working up mass-murder. And if the Sand People keep attacking Imperial outposts and patrols? Bonus.

We found the tribe out in the deep desert, near a rocky outcropping with a wellspring. They didn’t seem like much, especially against the Empire, but I know what a few dozen dedicated guerillas who know their territory can do to conventional forces. So long as they’re giving the Empire hell, however they do it is okay by me.

Of course, it also meant we didn’t want to tangle with them, and not just because they looked like nasty fighters. The whole point of the operation was to keep ‘em strong and mad at the Empire.

It looks like some time back some settlers built a water pump and filter into the wellspring. Must’ve made it all the easier for the Empire to mix in their poison. I dumped in the cleanser and me and Bowdaar got the hell out with the Sand People none the wiser.

quote:

Lem Trudo: Bet the Imps are furious after what you pulled!

Quinine: Always glad to dig a thorn deeper into the Empire’s side.

Lem Trudo: They’ll be nursing that wound for a long time. I’m sure of it.

That should leave the Empire with a nice, unexpected mess to deal with. It’ll be weeks before they realize the poison didn’t work, and all the while those Sand People’ll bleed their operation and keep the Empire off the settlers’ backs. Let's see if the Empire can give a proper fight instead of taking the coward's way out.

Once we’ve restocked on supplies, it’s off to the Lightspring to find Diago. I haven’t seen Nariel, but I haven’t seen Vaverone either. Hope I haven’t missed the party with this little detour, it could be one hell of a catfight.

##End Log##

[That's it for updates until I can get my laptop working again, which will hopefully be this week. While I've got this space going I'll just say I find it a bit funny how blase this quest is about using the Sand People as a buffer and letting the Empire kill them. Quinine may be cool with it, but it's probably one of the more blatantly Imperialist (the actual word, not the Star Wars one) things the Republic does.]

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose if a native people don't want to join the Republic or the Empire, after years of being used as a buffer between the two they'll cave to one or the other.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The Sand People weren't deliberately manipulated into attacking the Empire or anything, in this case it seems like the settlers are just taking advantage of an existing situation.

Also, it isn't the Republic using them, as Tatooine's an independent planet. The militia answers to the Hutts I think?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That "save the Sand People" mission is the direct opposite of the Empire's "poison the Sand People" mission.

The reason the Empire is poisoning Sand People, IIRC, is because they were murdering settlers.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well there you have it, the lesson to take away from all this is... Uh...

Hm.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Inferior posted:

Also, it isn't the Republic using them, as Tatooine's an independent planet. The militia answers to the Hutts I think?

Yeah, pretty sure it's always been a Hutt World. If it weren't for careless Jedi dropping stuff on it every now and then, the place would probably have been abandoned a long time ago.

Speaking of infuriating lines of thought, I can actually update again, with the return of my hard drive and the end of three loving weeks of overtime. I'm a bit far behind, so until I get off Nar Shaddaa expect some bigger than normal updates.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dolash posted:

Hm.

hahahahahah oh TOR.

ohhhhh, TOR.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think it works, personally. It shows that the universe isn't completely black and white, despite certain EU writers' best efforts.

The Empire wants the sand people gone so there's more able-bodied settlers alive for when they take charge. The locals would rather have the sand people attacks than have to deal with Imperial oppression.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 39: VOX POPULI

Previously posted:

On ALDERAAN, the remnants of HOUSE TERAL are under attack from the forces of the usurper King, BOURIS ULGO. Drawn into the fight is JOLUNE MOL'NEUX, who needs the support of TERAL to attend a crucial peace conference organised by the POSSIBLY CRAZY Jedi Master SIDONIE GAREN...

: They're here! Shoot wildly in their general direction!

The battle for House Teral resumes, with another continuous stream of enemies for the grinder. This time there are Strong enemies in the mix as well, like this Ulgo Kilik Wrangler. The Teral guards do provide fire support, as pictured, but their damage is trivial. It's All Up To You, as always.

: Giant Ant People! Giant Ant People with guns! I'm pretty sure I've seen movies about this!

: Victory. All good?

: ...I'm covered in bug guts.

: Is fine. Barely notice smell.

: Also, I think Theress' goons shot me a few times in the melee.

: It was pretty confusing out there! Still, it worked out OK in the end.

: High five!

: ...

: :hfive:

: Let me open the security doors; Lord Teral will want to see you right away. And... thank you. We could never have stopped them alone.

: Well, better put on my diplomacy face.

: Just saved Lord's life. Will be no need for smooth words.

: I sure hope it's that simple.

: Are you Lord Teral? I'm here to become your delegate to the peace conference.

[VIDEO: Lords and Ladies]

: He has a silly hat.

: Don't. Say. Anything. To. Him. About. His. Hat. Ahem... Why is it complicated, Lord Teral?

: The whole house needs to approve a new delegate, and well, they say they won't approve a stranger.

: Yes, of course, but House Teral has fallen so hard, we don't even have the strength to hope. It will take more than my word to convince them.

: It is my privilege as a Jedi to serve House Teral in whatever way I can.

: Really? Well, all right, then! After our original delegate was murdered and Ulgo drove us back into this hole, I'd almost given up hope myself.

: Right. House Teral's current position is precarious. Our enemy, House Ulgo, seeks our destruction. Their army is at our gate. House Teral needs a strong ally if we are to survive. We need House Organa.

: An alliance with Organa seems doable.

: We had hoped so. We proposed a marriage-alliance to House Organa. My daughter Fasha would marry Lew Organa.

: And you're OK with this, Fasha?

: Lew's quite a catch; he has an army, a full set of teeth, and his parents aren't blood relatives. That's pretty rare on Alderaan.

: So you see, we hoped our proposal would be accepted.

: We need to prove to Organa that House Teral can defend itself against its enemies.

: If you can defend yourself, do you really need an alliance?

: We only need to defend ourselves for a short time to win the confidence of our prospective allies. As I've said, House Ulgo's forces are at our gates, threatening to drive us out of our last holding.

: Tell him robe is glitching?

: No! It's very rude to point out a graphical error at a social event. I will begin negotiations with Astar Vox immediately.

: We need to tell Lord Teral to put some giant UV lights on this side of the house.

This is just around the back of House Teral, but there's no quick route here- you have to drive all the way around the whole house and probably fight a bunch of Kiliks on the way because, hey, we haven't done that in the last ten minutes or anything.

: Cosy.

: Be ready for a fight.

: They might be willing to negotiate! They could be the first mercenaries in the entire universe to decide money's not worth dying for.

[VIDEO: Release the Hounds!]

: You must be pretty sure of yourself to walk into a room of highly trained commandos.

: This isn't a room. It's more like a camp.

: I prefer to think of it as a room. My office, if you will.

: Isn't that tent your office? The one with the desk.

: That's just where I do my admin. Out here is where I... work.

: Shooting people and such. I get that. But doesn't a room by definition have to be an enclosed space?

: A room is merely a space with a purpose.

: By that metric you could say a forest was a room.

: From the point of view of an animal a forest can be a larder, or a nursery, or a bathroom.

: From the point of view of a sentient being; larders, nurseries, and bathrooms are sub-functions of dwelling places, not aspects of the natural environment.

: :cripes:

: Can't a dwelling be an aspect of the natural environment in itself?

: No. The act of designating a space as a shelter demarcates it from the “external” environment, even if the physical boundaries are unclear.

: Then surely it is permissible for me to describe this clearing as a room, as it is distinct from the wider environment, even if you can not perceive it as such.

: I do not believe it is suitably distinct, and I do not believe you can prove it.

: I... Um...

: It's ok to admit you misspoke.

: NO IT ISN'T. Look, let's just start again.

: I... Never mind.

: But you should know that I don't do business with just anyone.

: I refuse to jump through any more hoops.

: Very forceful of you. Ha! Get it! Write that one down, Lieutenant. But if it's an attempt to trick me, it won't work. And to think, they laughed at me when I bought this enormous tinfoil hat.

I think Astar's the first person in the game so far to make his saving throw against Force Persuade.

: This guy sounds like a Metal Gear Solid villain. Or hero.

: Besides, my men are itching for sport. Best a pack of my war hounds, and we'll talk.

: The Force will strengthen me.

: Those aren't dogs!

The three warhounds are weak and die in seconds.

All Vox's soldiers start cheering like idiots when you waste the dogs.

: Aye! Let's see a real challenge!

: What does soft thing expect? Is Herald of Scorekeeper, hunt is easy.

: I'm sorry I didn't kill your dogs more slowly... There's a sentence I never thought I'd have to say. I didn't mean to disappoint you, but we had a deal.

: No, I'm not ready to talk yet.

: No, you need a real challenge. What'll it be boys?

: DROIDS! DROIDS! DROIDS! gently caress YEAH DROIDS! WOOO!!!

: Droids it is, then! These are the best Ulgo has. Beat them, and we'll talk.

: WOOOOO!!!

: :sigh: If that is what I must do to earn your respect, so be it.

FORCEQUAKE!

The droids die almost as fast as the dogs.

: Oh yeah, Chunk here looks like a real tactical mastermind.

: :saddowns:

: Is fine. Herald kill any prey soft thing offers.

: On my honor this is the last time. Beat my champions, and we'll talk.

: I trust you will keep your word this time. Even though I have absolutely no reason to. Man, being light side sucks sometimes.

: On my honor. Now boys, show this Jedi what you're made of.

: Literally.

So, two strong enemies come after us now, which would be a challenge if we didn't have Force Lift to incapacitate one while we deal with the other. Take them one at a time and it's a cinch.

Also, we could have avoided almost all of this by murdering Vox. You get the option to kill him in every conversation you have with him, which drops him instantly and lets you potentially skip fighting the dogs and the droids, but you have to deal with the two Ulgo Champions right then as a result.

: No hard feelings. If you knew how many fools come by offering me jobs...

: House Teral wants your loyalty, and they want your army to stand down.

: I'll give you credit for being direct. You can tell House Teral that my answer is “yes”. It's been fun working for House Ulgo, but there's no glory in working for the biggest army on the planet.

NEXT TIME: Jolune finds some incriminating evidence, Lord Teral does some DIY, and Lew Organa has some thranta trouble.

BONUS SPACE EMAILS:

Rowan Delk posted:

M'um m'aloo, Jedi! It looks like the rot's finally cleared out, and I'm breathing good again. I convinced She Who Must Be Obeyed to lay off the steam-mask and towels and sign my release out of here.

If you come by Anchorhead, don't try looking me up. Those hours flat on my back brought on some thinking, and I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to hike the Krayt's Jaw range west of the Dune Sea. I've been thinking about it since I was seventeen, and it's about blasted time I got out there. If anyone tries to slap a steam-mask on me in the meanwhile, they're getting a black eye.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 20, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just get out of the hospital from a debilitating illness: no time for recovery, let's hike the space-Appalachians!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Hm.

Bruceski posted:

Just get out of the hospital from a debilitating illness: no time for recovery, let's hike the space-Appalachians!

People who voluntarily live on Tatooine are dumb as a sack of poo poo?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I enjoyed that little "room" argument. Some people just don't know when they're beat.

Also, that Merc's helmet is atrocious, it doesn't look like it fits at all.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dolash posted:

I enjoyed that little "room" argument. Some people just don't know when they're beat.

Also, that Merc's helmet is atrocious, it doesn't look like it fits at all.

Give the guy a break. He just injured his neck in a motorcycle speeder accident, and he can't resist the call of the open wind. So he's clearly wearing a helmet/neck brace combo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The real question is: how did he get it on? Did someone build it around his head? It looks like there's no way he could get his chin through that neck hole.

Then again, I'm one to talk. I think Mort probably has to assemble his helmet every time he leaves the ship.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

The real question is: how did he get it on? Did someone build it around his head? It looks like there's no way he could get his chin through that neck hole.

Then again, I'm one to talk. I think Mort probably has to assemble his helmet every time he leaves the ship.

Obviously it's magic the Force at work. Or, looking at the thing; maybe the front part is a (really stupid) mask bit he attaches to the helmet, it doesn't seem to quite match the rest of it anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ok, so he puts it on like transforming an old-school Transformer? First he puts on the metal O-Ring, then he puts on the hat, then he attaches the Malak-themed mouthguard, then he seals the O-Ring to keep the whole thing from falling apart in combat?

Then he dies the moment the shooting starts because the whole thing still leaves 70% of his face exposed to enemy fire and his neck is completely exposed?

This is the quality of troops that oppose the Alderaanian house soldiers. And the Alderaanians are losing.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok, so he puts it on like transforming an old-school Transformer? First he puts on the metal O-Ring, then he puts on the hat, then he attaches the Malak-themed mouthguard, then he seals the O-Ring to keep the whole thing from falling apart in combat?

Then he dies the moment the shooting starts because the whole thing still leaves 70% of his face exposed to enemy fire and his neck is completely exposed?

This is the quality of troops that oppose the Alderaanian house soldiers. And the Alderaanians are losing.

If I've learned one thing from this LP, it's that ToR is populated almost entirely by NPCs who are either exceptionally stupid, completely incompetent, or both.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Wyld Karde posted:

If I've learned one thing from this LP, it's that ToR is populated almost entirely by NPCs who are either exceptionally stupid, completely incompetent, or both.
Are there any MMOs that aren't? It'd seem tricky to enforce a game-wide writing rule that says "in this game where people ask you to do things, all of them have good reasons for not doing those things themselves." Even if they manage to make it so everybody has a perfectly legitimate reason for never stepping up, eventually it's going to dawn on you that you're the only reason anything ever gets done.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Drakyn posted:

Are there any MMOs that aren't? It'd seem tricky to enforce a game-wide writing rule that says "in this game where people ask you to do things, all of them have good reasons for not doing those things themselves." Even if they manage to make it so everybody has a perfectly legitimate reason for never stepping up, eventually it's going to dawn on you that you're the only reason anything ever gets done.

There are actually some quests in the most recent WoW expansion where you briefly play as the character giving you the quest in the guise of them telling you the story of a thing they did without you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Feinne posted:

There are actually some quests in the most recent WoW expansion where you briefly play as the character giving you the quest in the guise of them telling you the story of a thing they did without you.

"And then the motorcycle could fly and I punched Deathwing in the face!"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So! I've got a problem.

I took my laptop to a repair shop today, the only one I could find who'd service my particular brand, and their estimated time for completing the job is two months. To replace a power jack.

Besides the fact that this leaves me dependent on my lab computer to do 100% of my research, TAing and classwork, that's going to make playing SWTOR a little difficult. I'm looking into if I can install it on my lab PC, but even if I can I don't have access to the end of Tatooine since all the screenshots were on my PC. Thankfully I hadn't started Alderaan yet. Actually, considering how Tatooine ended, I might be able to play off Quinine not recording the results.

This is just a heads-up that the update drought from me might possibly last until December, but hopefully I'll find an alternative before then.

Let's Play curse! :argh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Are they including six weeks to ship the part from Taiwan via sea freight or what? Ask em if you can just buy the part and pay for air shipping yourself :p

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey, don't knock the Vox's helmet. It may not look cool, but it makes him immune to Jedi mind control so he's doing something right.

Dolash posted:

So! I've got a problem.

I took my laptop to a repair shop today, the only one I could find who'd service my particular brand, and their estimated time for completing the job is two months. To replace a power jack.

Besides the fact that this leaves me dependent on my lab computer to do 100% of my research, TAing and classwork, that's going to make playing SWTOR a little difficult. I'm looking into if I can install it on my lab PC, but even if I can I don't have access to the end of Tatooine since all the screenshots were on my PC. Thankfully I hadn't started Alderaan yet. Actually, considering how Tatooine ended, I might be able to play off Quinine not recording the results.
That sucks! Can the repair shop extract the contents of the hard drive?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Not necessarily to the player, but how much of a threat do droid armies pose in the setting? Are they on par with human soldiers?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Not necessarily to the player, but how much of a threat do droid armies pose in the setting? Are they on par with human soldiers?

Usually they're supposed to be worse-but-expendible. Droids in the SWTOR era are incredibly stupid. We're talking ED-209 levels of stupid; where you remote-killswitch them after a fight because chances are some of them have gone blind or won't recognize friend from foe and are just shooting at anything that trips a motion sensor.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 20, 2013

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Glazius posted:

They're equal to or better than human troops in most ways physically, but unless they've got extremely expensive high-grade droid brains, they're very easy to outsmart. They're mainly useful because you can transport and "barracks" them much more easily than living soldiers.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Psion posted:

Are they including six weeks to ship the part from Taiwan via sea freight or what? Ask em if you can just buy the part and pay for air shipping yourself :p

Inferior posted:

Hey, don't knock the Vox's helmet. It may not look cool, but it makes him immune to Jedi mind control so he's doing something right.

That sucks! Can the repair shop extract the contents of the hard drive?

I'm doing my best to wrangle with the bureaucracy. If I make any progress, hopefully the thread will know (in the form of an update). Still, I think I only lost effectively two updates, and it looks like I can get SWTOR installed on my lab PC. Now I just need to play at night when no one's watching!

Also - stay overnight in my lab. Wheeeee.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You could always post the crayon drawings I've always imagined Corso appends to each of Quin's journal entries he secretly posts on the Galactic Hypernet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well the good news is I'm set up again on my lab computer and can pick up from the start of Alderaan (with a convenient explanation for the missing Tatooine update or two). The bad news is my lab computer's graphics card seems to come out of the early 00's, or at least makes SWTOR look like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWh4PnU5HQk

Waiting two months to get access to a good computer again is simply too long, so it looks like we'll be enjoying Quinine's adventures on Alderaan in a comically low-res sort of way.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Just say it's cel shaded and call it a day!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sorry the text is so small, I forgot to scale it up in preferences. I'll fix that for next update.

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #052
Stardate: Setting down on silver shores

Looks like I’ve had some trouble with my logs. That’s a real tragedy, because if there was ever a showdown for the record books, that was it. One of the galaxy’s greatest gangsters, dusted. A deadly Sith Lord stopped. And one very, very grateful Jedi. Too bad the proof’s gone poof – I guess my little encounter with Nariel is just one more tall tale for long guard shifts and cold nights.

Oh, and I guess we got that sensor computer too. Risha was pretty happy about that.

Looks like I’ve lost the logs about us touching down on Alderaan, so I’ll give you the short version. Risha has two more deliveries for me to run here on Alderaan, the first of which’s over in Organa castle. Alderaan’s in the middle of a civil war and the Organa family’s got Republic backing, so getting to their castle should be a cinch.

The ones Risha made the deal with, though, are the Teraan family, a couple down-on-their-luck nobles living as the Organa’s guests. Seems they wanted the old gonk droid Skavak stole from those Seps what feels like a million years ago. Weird how these things come together, right?

Alderaan’s a classy place, bit of a nice change of pace after the desert and that Hutt-hole. All the castles and old-world style, it’s enough to make a guy going on one shower a week feel out of place. At least Corso’s back in action, so I’m not the only guy bringing down the dress code.

I mean look at the place. If there wasn’t a civil war going on, they wouldn’t let a tramp starship captain out of the spaceport, never mind visiting the castle.

Lucky for us there’s a raging civil war then, huh?

It took a few minutes of wandering around the castle, getting dirty looks from barons before we found the right great hall where the Teraans were staying. Corso mentioned his whole home town could’ve fit inside the castle. I’d pay good credits to see that.

Recommended for meeting the Teraans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_glyrX2AzE

quote:

Lenn Teraan: Welcome home, you ugly little thing. I mean the droid, of course.

That’s Lenn Teraan. Less stuck up than a lot of nobles, but a lot less funny than he thinks. He has a few redeeming traits, though.

His sister, for example.

quote:

Lenn Teraan: And I’m her brother Lord Lenn Teraan, Warden of the Eternal Flame. Please, call me Lenn.

Quinine: What should I call your beautiful sister?

Lenn Teraan: “Ceddy”. She loves that.

Cedonia Teraan: Please don’t listen to my brother. He has the unfortunate quality of being an idiot.

Cedonia Teraan: My brother and I are all that remains of House Teraan’s noble bloodline.

Lenn Teraan: One of Alderaan’s more reprehensible pedigrees, House Baliss, slaughtered our family and seized all our holdings.

That’s quite a story, although something tells me getting your family murdered and your home stolen is pretty par for the course on Alderaan.

Silver linings, am I right?

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: This droid holds new hope for us – literally. Centuries ago, our ancestors hid something inside it for safekeeping.

Lenn Teraan: Pirates absconded with the unfashionable machine generations ago. Tracking it down has consumed our family since before we were born.

Cedonia Teraan: What that droid contains will rebuild House Teraan, but we need instructions to safely open the hidden compartment. It’s rigged to explode, you see.

Don’t lose your cool, don’t lose your cool…

drat!

Figures about needing to get the instructions. You don’t have to tell me they don’t actually need me to get them the key to the droid in order to pay up, they’re probably just desperate for the help and hoping to schmooze me along into it. Not that I mind doing a beautiful woman (and Lenn, I guess) a favor, I’ve got nowhere to be.

quote:

Quinine: Are you looking to hire me?

Lenn Teraan: You’re obviously talented at acquiring things.

Cedonia Teraan: The instructions we need are in a datapad of Teraan family history at our estate’s library.

My imagination got to work on what a “substantial bonus” could be, so the rest of this conversation’s a bit hazy for me.

quote:

Lenn Teraan: And there are some additional family heirlooms we’ll pay you handsomely to recover while you’re there.

Quinine: What am I looking for, exactly?

Lenn Teraan: They’ll be the valuable-looking things surrounded by guards.

Don’t quit your day job, Lenn, if you actually do anything.

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: Lenn, it’s time for your meeting with House Organa. Don’t keep their councilors waiting this time.

Yes, Lenn! We know! Go away now!

quote:

Quinine: What are you waiting for, an engraved invitation?

Lenn Teraan: I’ll try not to come back too soon, dear sister…

Corso: Take your time here, Captain. I’ll go stretch my legs.

Cedonia Teraan: I couldn’t face another dreary meeting with House Organa’s councilors. Thank you for sparing me.

What can I say? It was a long flight from the Outer Rim.

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: I’ll try not to disappoint you.

Cedonia Teraan: When I was a girl, I dreamed of adventuring among the stars. What’s it like, living that life?

Quinine: Come to my ship and see.

Cedonia Teraan: That would generate no end of gossip.

Okay, this was a little weird. Getting up in somebody’s personal space must be sexier with repressed aristocrats than it is with the rest of us, but I get the gist.

quote:

Quinine: Face it, you can’t resist me.

Cedonia Teraan: I’m often drawn to things I’m not supposed to have.

Properly incentivized, I headed out to the former House Teraan estate, now headquarters for House Baliss. I don’t know how long ago the Teraans got pushed out, but there was barely a scratch on their former home. Alderaanian nobles must fight with the gloves on – I’ve seen the Empire reduce better forts to foundations.

Security wasn’t top-notch either. We just climbed in right over the walls. The guards looked to be mostly for show in their goofy uniforms. I did pick out a few wearing the wrong colours, though. Turns out they’re from House Thuul, the Empire’s puppets on Alderaan, which makes fighting Baliss like three degrees separate from fighting the Empire. Good enough for me.

We broke cover to attack some guards and free up some of those Teraan relics Lenn wanted. Surprise surprise, the guys they leave on museum guard duty didn’t put up much of a fight.

We grabbed what we could. I don’t think any of this old junk’s going to do the Teraans any good, but maybe it’ll make them feel better to steal some of their old stuff back from under Baliss’s nose. Hey, it’s their money, and I pride myself on customer satisfaction.

That datapad they wanted was pretty well-guarded. Me and Corso didn’t care much for fighting a whole army, so we snuck around quiet as we could until we found the guy guarding the records.

Then, we just very politely asked for a copy of the records.

A datapad on family history might be one of the stranger things I’ve killed a man over, but we snagged it and made tracks back to castle Organa before anybody noticed all the bodies we’d been leaving all over the place. Time to wrap this deal up.

Recommended for getting paid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSsJPM-r0vA

quote:

Quinine: House Baliss is missing a datapad from their new library.

Lenn Teraan: I’ll let my dear sister have the honors. Never could decipher that blasted thing.

Cedonia Teraan: It’s a simple code woven through the genealogical entries. You just have to assemble the letters correctly, Lenn.

Quinine: You’re obviously the brains of this family, Cedonia.

I’ve already done your dirty work, you don’t have to keep upselling your sister.

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: Lenn, do shut up.

Cedonia Teraan: According to this, we must pry open the droid’s ventral servomotor housing and disable its lateral conduits.

Cedonia Teraan: The holochip is hidden within a false power storage unit, behind a detonite charge. Entering the disarm code.

What, and let the lady hang around in the blast radius alone? Where’s chivalrous Corso gone?

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: I’ve got it! After all these centuries, we finally have our proof!

Cedonia Teraan: The information on this holochip proves House Teraan is owed a considerable number of credits.

Cedonia Teraan: When the other families hear of this, we will reclaim our status among the nobility.

I think I’m almost a little disappointed it just turned out to be credits, not a crown or proof they’re related to the king or something. Then again, credits I understand, and at the moment they’re probably worth a drat sight more on Alderaan than trying to push some noble claim. Then again, good luck if the Teraans expect to call on those debts when every noble house has their own army of assassins on call.

quote:

Lenn Teraan: Please, there’s no need. We’re just happy to be rich.

Cedonia Teraan: Lenn, take this data and have it authenticated by the Royal Council, I’ll see to our benefactor’s payment.

Lenn Teraan: I’m sure you will, dear sister.

Lenn you are killing this for me, you creep.

Corso’s gotten better at recognizing the signs, too. Although it might be because I’ve started stepping on his foot when I need to.

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: I suppose you’ll be leaving soon… you don’t seem like a man who stays in one place for long.

Quinine: I always have time for a gorgeous lady.

Cedonia Teraan: There’s a charming crudeness to your romantic gestures I can’t help admiring.

Cedonia Teraan: One advantage to being an honored guest of House Organa is access to their finest food and drink.

Cedonia Teraan: I can arrange a special meal for just the two of us. We’ll eat, and… talk about your adventures.

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: Why don’t we start a conversation and see where it leads?

Cedonia got a lot less coy once she locked the parlor door. If you’ve ever wondered how the upper crust lives, I can confirm the answer’s “pretty drat well”. Expensive wine, rare delicacies, silk sheets…

I think she’s asleep. Risha’s not expecting me back for at least a couple hours, and Corso can cover for me if he has to. I think I’ll grab some shuteye while I can.

##End Log##

##Start Log [Supplemental]##

Hope you don't mind if I a copy of your intriguing little journal. I started reading it after you passed out, you paint quite the picture of adventure among the stars. Your description of Coruscant brought it to life in a way the dull history books never could. I'll just read the next chapter about Taris before putting it back where it belongs, I promise.

##End Log##

##Start Log [Supplemental 2]##

YOU'RE INFECTED WITH WHAT?!

##End Log##

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The low res graphics are making everyone look disconcertingly muppety.

The Teraan siblings' plan is endearingly naive- let's use these ancient financial records to prove your great grandfather owed our great grandfather a sack of credits! Then everyone will pay us what we're owed and we'll be rich and powerful again! They haven't really been paying attention to the whole civil war thing, have they?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Inferior posted:

The low res graphics are making everyone look disconcertingly muppety.

The Teraan siblings' plan is endearingly naive- let's use these ancient financial records to prove your great grandfather owed our great grandfather a sack of credits! Then everyone will pay us what we're owed and we'll be rich and powerful again! They haven't really been paying attention to the whole civil war thing, have they?

I dunno, Alderaan does rather put the "civil" in civil war; if nothing else, it makes dandy blackmail material.

Also, if you play a female smuggler, it's the brother who comes onto you like a rash here. Suffice it to say I started clicking my Dirty Kick button during the conversation out of reflex...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Dolash posted:

Captain’s Log, entry #052
Stardate: Setting down on silver shores

Looks like I’ve had some trouble with my logs. That’s a real tragedy, because if there was ever a showdown for the record books, that was it. One of the galaxy’s greatest gangsters, dusted. A deadly Sith Lord stopped. And one very, very grateful Jedi. Too bad the proof’s gone poof – I guess my little encounter with Nariel is just one more tall tale for long guard shifts and cold nights.
Struck out hard, huh?

• Locked thread