Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The currently known leader classes are;

Warlord
Theocrat
Rogue
Sorcerer
Dreadnought
Archdruid,

Right? Most of these classes seem to be based on combat, magic, technology, or maybe diplomacy with the rogue. Do any of them have bonuses to economy? Because some of the more powerful all-around factions in games are economic powerhouses (looking at you, Civ 5 Venice and Arabia).

Still, I guess it'd make a good addition to an expansion pack, adding Halflings and a Merchant/Magistrate/Doge/ Bureaucrat class they'd be best at.

Edit: Whoa new page.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Triskelli posted:

or maybe diplomacy with the rogue
In one of the videos the Rogue was described with "Fantasy Gaddafi". I have a feeling that class is not very diplomacy oriented.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I spotted a content packs option in that video so I guess that either confirms DLC or mod support.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Raygereio posted:

In one of the videos the Rogue was described with "Fantasy Gaddafi". I have a feeling that class is not very diplomacy oriented.

Hey, threats, bribery, and assassinations all take place off of the battlefield, so it counts as "diplomacy" :ese:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

The currently known leader classes are;

Warlord
Theocrat
Rogue
Sorcerer
Dreadnought
Archdruid,

Right? Most of these classes seem to be based on combat, magic, technology, or maybe diplomacy with the rogue. Do any of them have bonuses to economy? Because some of the more powerful all-around factions in games are economic powerhouses (looking at you, Civ 5 Venice and Arabia).

Still, I guess it'd make a good addition to an expansion pack, adding Halflings and a Merchant/Magistrate/Doge/ Bureaucrat class they'd be best at.

Edit: Whoa new page.

Well the landship had the whole "eat the forest for money!" trick and Rogues can extort their own cities for income, maybe each leader will have a trick like that.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

http://www.ageofwonders.com/bringing-sexy-back-to-the-aow-iii-interface/

Huh.

I wonder, just how many pages of bickering over font settings are there in the official forums? Thankfully, I don't think I'm curious enough to actually check.

It's kind of hard for me to tell the difference, but I guess the new font looks a little nicer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

Huh.

I wonder, just how many pages of bickering over font settings are there in the official forums? Thankfully, I don't think I'm curious enough to actually check.

It's kind of hard for me to tell the difference, but I guess the new font looks a little nicer.

I do have a question for the goon that is working on this game. Assuming you read what the community says, and if not can you ask someone who does, do you sometimes just read what people say and just sigh deeply and shake your head, possibly taking a shot of your alcohol of choice as you continue coding?

I just have to ask someone who works in the industry. Like in Planetside 2 they made this one weapon no longer one shot infantry, then the community bitched that it did too much damage to armor (which is what the weapon was meant to do). I asked the head guy the same question but he ignored it :smith:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Leal posted:

I asked the head guy the same question but he ignored it :smith:

That's probably because it's a bad idea for a dev to say that the community annoys the poo poo out of him anywhere where the fact might get back to the community. Even if you'd e-mailed the dude privately and could be sure that he got it, he shouldn't really answer in case you took that answer and plastered it all over the community forums. You wouldn't have, I assume, but how was he to know?

Basically the only way you're getting an answer to this one is if you're actual, real-life, personal friends with a dev, and if you become friends with a dev solely to get an answer about this I don't think you're a very good friend.

Though I guess you could just buy said dev copious amounts of alcohol and hope he lets something slip while bombed out of his mind.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I do have a question for the goon that is working on this game. Assuming you read what the community says, and if not can you ask someone who does, do you sometimes just read what people say and just sigh deeply and shake your head, possibly taking a shot of your alcohol of choice as you continue coding?

I just have to ask someone who works in the industry. Like in Planetside 2 they made this one weapon no longer one shot infantry, then the community bitched that it did too much damage to armor (which is what the weapon was meant to do). I asked the head guy the same question but he ignored it :smith:

Sometimes, yes, though probably not as often as you think. A lot of the time when you read these big arguments on forums about a particular game's mechanics and rules, the posters are all saying things that reflect what the Devs themselves were saying to each other when they decided on those mechanics. As an example, 2 or 3 people at work have been discussing fonts for hours, and running round asking everyone what they think, and which font should be used where and why. By comparison, the official thread looks kind of tame.

To put it another way, it's hard to mock someone who's gone to far down the rabbit hole, when you're a guy who lives in one.

Of course, sometimes an individual or group will latch on to some idea to a degree which is kind of tiresome. But this is usually because they refuse to let something go even when it's been discussed to death and a decision has been made, and really everyone wants to just get on with things, not because what those people are saying is wrong or naive or anything. I'd imagine Diablo 3's art department felt something like that about the whole "COLOURS!!! :argh:" poo poo storm that blew up a couple of years back.

Edit: Also, not to sound too PR person-y, we do actually encourage discussions like the font one. Forum discussions often contain useful feedback, and sometimes give us ideas on how to fix things or implement things that we're still unsure of ourselves.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 14, 2013

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
A new dev journal was posted yesterday. It mainly deals with the specifics of how the models for the player characters are rendered but does hint at some of the visual customisation options players will have for their wizardmans.

Quick summary:
  • Ingame equipment won't change how your hero looks, but there are suggestions that avatar customisation will extend beyond picking a race and class
  • Each class may have multiple armour sets to choose from, with a subsystem of accessories to choose from for further customisation.
  • You can select your character's animation set. (the two examples given in the article were a feral and a thoughtful set)
  • Dwarven women can have beards! :heysexy:

Lurkcopter fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
While most of the female models they had seemed OK, I'm hoping "sensible clothing that covers as much as if not more than the male's version does" will be an option for all the female character sets.

The weird, vacant-eyed look on the scantily-clad woman in the first small picture is weirding me out.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Keep in mind this is the game that had Julia plastered all over the box. Dwarf women with beards is going to kick rear end though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bamhand posted:

Keep in mind this is the game that had Julia plastered all over the box.
A man can dream, can't he? :negative:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Im hoping they let you do whatever you please with outfits and appearances, because options are always better then silly limits. Want to be a nearly nude guy with a stick? Go ahead! Want to be an armoured lady to the point that physics weep when you walk? Knock yourself out. :3:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
...Age of Saint's Row...

Anyways, if you check out that youtube link earlier, the High Elf rogue seems surprisingly clothed. I mean certainly the proportions are still what you'd expect, but
  • the camera for the portrait isn't pointed down into the cleavage
  • she wears both pants, boots, and a large cloak of which the first two are maybe a bit tighter than practical, but good protection from mosquitoes, the cold, mud, and rain.
  • Armor coverage isn't that practical, but I suppose she isn't a warrior class. Still not quite what I'd pick, but better than the industry average, I suppose.
  • When you look at the latest update, there seem to be women in -full- armor about a third of the way down, in the class outfits section. Only one concept art really strikes me as boxarty, and a second seems a ridiculous in a different, but not extreme way.
  • Her class was described as "fantasy Gadaffi", and now I imagine something completely more ridiculous every single time I think about this.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 20, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowmorn posted:

Im hoping they let you do whatever you please with outfits and appearances, because options are always better then silly limits. Want to be a nearly nude guy with a stick? Go ahead! Want to be an armoured lady to the point that physics weep when you walk? Knock yourself out. :3:
I said "an option" not "the only option" :colbert:
I, too, would like to play Conan the Bulgarian, and players should also be able to make a prettyboy Dwarf to ogle should they so please.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 20, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

avoraciopoctules posted:

Huh.

I actually like the old font quite a bit better. Very clean and readable.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

bamhand posted:

Keep in mind this is the game that had Julia plastered all over the box.

Not only that, but one of the devs posted way back when AoW first came out that the box art started out as an image of Julia naked. All they did was paint the armor over top and slap it on the box.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Taliesyn posted:

Not only that, but one of the devs posted way back when AoW first came out that the box art started out as an image of Julia naked. All they did was paint the armor over top and slap it on the box.

Isn't that how most character concept art starts out when the artist doesn't already have a clear idea what the character's clothing should look like?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
But for this art it's very clear that her armor is in fact paper thin and probably just a layer of body paint.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Huh, what an odd detail, that Julia boxart thing. Wonder if its commonplace in front covers?

Makes more sense then just winging it with the boxart and giving the wrong impression i guess!

Splicer posted:

I, too, would like to play Conan the Bulgarian, and players should also be able to make a prettyboy Dwarf to ogle should they so please.

:smug::respek::black101:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Brings back memories of the Elder Scrolls: Arena box.

How the hell did they expect a 14 year old to convince his mom to let him buy that? Jesus Christ, Bethesda, that for making my life more difficult then it needed to be. I think I ended up mail ordering it and then hiding the box sleeve so she wouldn't see it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

There's a new dev journal.

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-exploring-the-wonders-of-the-third-age/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
An interesting read, but did my cold addled mind miss anything relating to how holding and loosing these sites will be? Because im hoping it wont be like AOW has done so in the past. Having an endless skirmish as one lonely summoned unit steals half of my sites because i cant catch it to make it stop was frustrating busy work, both doing the skirmishing and fighting it off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowmorn posted:

An interesting read, but did my cold addled mind miss anything relating to how holding and loosing these sites will be? Because im hoping it wont be like AOW has done so in the past. Having an endless skirmish as one lonely summoned unit steals half of my sites because i cant catch it to make it stop was frustrating busy work, both doing the skirmishing and fighting it off.
It sounds like it's yours if it's in your domain unless there's an enemy unit actively sitting on it. Is that how all structures are going to work? Because if so, boss.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
One of the videos showcased it. The demonstrator built an "outpost" which is like a level zero city. It projected control around it and could be later upgraded into a full city.

...now whether the AI can easily steal an undefended outpost? Probably. But they didn't showcase outposts actually being attacked or discuss what happens.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Those hearts are a neat idea!
It would be cool if they could be destroyed, making the terrain hostile again to the natives. (Elves and Wasteland, to continue the example)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Splicer posted:

It sounds like it's yours if it's in your domain unless there's an enemy unit actively sitting on it. Is that how all structures are going to work? Because if so, boss.

Sounds similar to the way Heroes of Might and Magic 6 works, which is pretty awesome because imo it worked well there.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Update: http://www.ageofwonders.com/expanding-the-website-leader-class-pages/

Apparently, your Flame Tank brigade won't need to worry much about friendly fire.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

Update: http://www.ageofwonders.com/expanding-the-website-leader-class-pages/

Apparently, your Flame Tank brigade won't need to worry much about friendly fire.

Not much new stuff, but it's going to be nice having something to look forward to as the game nears release. I'm still hoping for cross-class stuff!

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Not much new stuff, but it's going to be nice having something to look forward to as the game nears release. I'm still hoping for cross-class stuff!

The game's heroes are modeled after the leader types, I believe. If you want Rogue stuff as a Wizard, that's how you do it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I look forward to bringing fire and steel upon these lands of magic and superstitious nonsense, all for the betterment of the common elf, man and greenskin of course. :getin:

More usefully, i updated to include a class bit, will make it more fancy and its own post when the game goes live.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holy crap I watched the dreadnought trailer and this game looks loving amazing.

Graphically it looks gorgeous and the combat and unit selection reminds me of the best of heroes of might and magic, and the surface/underground stuff is awesome too, as is the terrain modification.

Seriously this seems to have everything I ever wanted in a hex based 4x game.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

http://www.ageofwonders.com/press-release-age-of-wonders-iii-magical-locations-revealed/

Nothing all that new, though it's nice to hear that the game will probably be out somewhere in the first half of next year.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I like the Golden Ziggurat's looks, its pretty. :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://www.ageofwonders.com/german-press-tour-finished-new-footage-and-screenshots/

Possibly a more substantial news post, new screens and videos of gameplay, though mostly in German. I thought the interviewer said something about doing it in English because she doesn't speak dutch, but *shrug* I probably mistranslated it, my German's terrible.

The combat looks really cool, from what I gather the direction a unit is facing and what it's adjacent to makes a lot of difference, the interviewer got her cavalry massacred because she ran them past some infantry, who all got opportunity attacks on them, while her archers got pinned down by some units facing them in melee, but attacking that unit from another direction made them turn away, allowing her archers to finish them off.

It seems a lot more involved than traditional tile-based systems which I really like the sound of.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 11, 2013

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

https://ageofwonders.com/creating-the-sounds-of-battle-and-wonder-with-the-audio-guys/

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

https://ageofwonders.com/age-of-wonders-iii-cover-art-revealed/

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Typical racist bias, putting the human in front of everyone else.

(The cover looks great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hate to be That Guy, but, while I can accept their reason for putting a guy in front (they are a business at the end of the day), why is there only one female character on the cover total? There's like five people there.

• Locked thread