Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

He's fleeing the loving country with a serial killer who's being hunted by the US Marshals! The fact that he didn't take Hannah and Harrison to loving Cuba the day he got her away from that rich guy is the part that doesn't make sense!

Exactly! Hell, they could have even just taken his boat up towards Daytona or even around to Tampa and then gone to a different airport than the Miami one the Marshals are watching.

Also, I guess that nobody at Miami Metro or his family is interested in Zack Hamilton anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

It'd be pretty funny when Sunday night comes around and everyone is like OMG THAT WAS AN AMAZING ENDING! But we know that won't happen.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sober posted:

So since I assume most of us won't be watching it live, but should we feel relieved when we ourselves, watch it conclude or should feel like we have paid our penance as soon as the clock rolls over (and most of us probably finish next week's episode of Breaking Bad)?
As soon as the finale begins, everyone who has posted in this thread should be permabanned with the punishment reason of "You don't know how to TV."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sober posted:

So since I assume most of us won't be watching it live, but should we feel relieved when we ourselves, watch it conclude or should feel like we have paid our penance as soon as the clock rolls over (and most of us probably finish next week's episode of Breaking Bad)?

I have Breaking Bad on iTunes Season Pass so my only option for Sunday night is Dexter :smith:

(It'll actually be Sunday night football with dexter during breaks).

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Look, someone needs to live post so I have something to laugh about during commercials.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.
I wish I could watch it live. I would totally livepost the finale, but unfortunately it isn't possible.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
The show should end with ghost dad hitchhiking. A car stops and picks him up. He opens the door and gets in. The driver is the fisherman. He drives into a lake. Nobody rescues him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The second to last episode ever of Breaking Bad is wayyyyyyyy more important than the last episode ever of Dexter. No way in hell am I watching this live :colbert:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I'm going to watch it live because it's how I keep in touch with my estranged mom.

I really wouldn't be watching it otherwise.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I'm amazed so many of you willingly watch this show still.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

Slamhound posted:

I totally forgot about that! I've been so focused on who's going to buy his apartment since it turned out the one who made the offer was actually Saxon!

Now he doesn't have a buyer! :supaburn:

Hey, another plot hole! Can't have enough of them (says Scott Buck)

As for the longest running TV-drama thing: Most TV show runners got enough common sense to terminate a show before it gets to the levels of Dexter. Unfortunately TV executives seem to lack the very same sense, as seen with Dexter right now, altough this show got a lovely show runner sticking to it as well in order to maximize the agony.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I hope they announce 4 seasons of prequel soon.

Not actually a terrible idea. The only way we could have any more good Dexter is if we do it before any of this ridiculous stuff happened. It would Just be Dexter killing people who fit the code and being socially awkward and some banter with Doakes. Hell, you could keep the show going after it catches up by setting it in-between Dexter seasons. That missing time is where Dexter did stuff that made sense, and then just end those seasons with, "And then my paint huffing addiction kicked in again for a few months..."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The second to last episode ever of Breaking Bad is wayyyyyyyy more important than the last episode ever of Dexter. No way in hell am I watching this live :colbert:

I just started watching Breaking Bad, and it's loving terrible. I can't believe that anyone could criticise Dexter's plotting after Nah, just messing with you, it's good enough to keep watching past S1. I don't see it as worthy of the raves it's getting, though. No spoilers, please, but what do people find so amazing about it?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jedit posted:

I just started watching Breaking Bad, and it's loving terrible. I can't believe that anyone could criticise Dexter's plotting after Nah, just messing with you, it's good enough to keep watching past S1. I don't see it as worthy of the raves it's getting, though. No spoilers, please, but what do people find so amazing about it?

Plot lines continue to develop and every episode fits into one cohesive narrative. In other words, they don't hit reset every time something major happens.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jedit posted:

Keep watching. It took me a few tries to get past S1, but (in stark contrast to Dexter) each season is better than the one before. To even say why would spoil some of the discovery of what the show is really about.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
Keep on watching and you'll see how every character developes, altough slowly and over time. Season 1 was interesting and Season 2 developed the concepts of the first one nicely. The show really got interesting during the 3rd and since them I'm hooked. The characters on Breaking Bad aren't just some black/white stereotypes and you'll love them during one episode and despise them during the next one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just remember, if you watch Dexter live it'll all be over sooner. That's what I'm doing.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Just remember, if you watch Dexter live it'll all be over sooner. That's what I'm doing.

Or just live read this thread. It's what I've been doing since episode 2. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yestermoment posted:

Or just live read this thread. It's what I've been doing since episode 2. :v:

Wish I'd stopped this early. I stopped 3 episodes ago

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
On one hand I could watch Dexter live, get it out of the way, and then be able to fast forward through commercials on Breaking Bad. On the other hand I'd gladly watch an episode of Breaking Bad where the ratio of show to commercials was switched instead of watching Dexter, and at this point the episode of Breaking Bad could be a re-run.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I bailed after episode 3 of this season - can someone be so kind as to sum up what has happened in this season in 3 sentences or less and whether or not there's even a slim chance of a somewhat interesting/gratifying ending?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

neckbeard posted:

I bailed after episode 3 of this season - can someone be so kind as to sum up what has happened in this season in 3 sentences or less and whether or not there's even a slim chance of a somewhat interesting/gratifying ending?

Dexter's dad had a therapist who he told everything. She has a son who kills people. Dexter sells a boat.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

neckbeard posted:

Deb went batshit crazy but got better. Hannah went batshit crazy but got better. Dexter got better but will probably go batshit crazy on Sunday.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

neckbeard posted:

Nothing. Then it happened again. And again.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Ok but what about Matthews involvement? He is, to me, the last interesting character.

I stopped watching before last seasons finale.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

neckbeard posted:

Deb got shot and killer is still on loose. Babies get beards and treadmills can kill. Run away to Argentina with escaped fugitive serial killer girlfriend and son without wearing disguises or attempting to hide identity at all.

Alternate version: Pointless story, meaningless dialogue, boring filler, plot hole, plot hole, newly introduced character killed without drawing any audience reaction. Ryan Gosling? Nope, just a knock off version. Masuka is a good dad, plot hole, drugs are bad, Argentina, bad dialogue, Argentina, multiple more disposable characters die, plot hole, sub-mad libs quality writing, A Storm Is Coming that is named after Dexter's dead biological mother.

The gratification from the ending will be knowing that there will be no more episodes to watch. The hurting will stop one way or another and whatever they decide to do has a high chance of being so incredibly stupid that it will be unintentionally hilarious.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Declan MacManus posted:

Dexter's dad had a therapist who he told everything. She has a son who kills people. Dexter sells a boat.

The boat selling plotline is not yet resolved! Will the gentleman decide to settle for a smaller beer cooler? So much tension :ohdear:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Blind Melon posted:

Ok but what about Matthews involvement? He is, to me, the last interesting character.

I stopped watching before last seasons finale.
He has had somewhere between 3 and 5 scenes that I can think of this season. Most of them were completely pointless aside from "drat it Batista you need to pick a sergeant already!", "drat it Batista that is a bad choice for sergeant!!!" and "thanks for coming to this memorial police drinking thing for that lady that died, anyway Dexter and Deb you guys are like family to me lets drink some beers"

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Truly the best character.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

deafmute posted:

He has had somewhere between 3 and 5 scenes that I can think of this season. Most of them were completely pointless aside from "drat it Batista you need to pick a sergeant already!", "drat it Batista that is a bad choice for sergeant!!!" and "thanks for coming to this memorial police drinking thing for that lady that died, anyway Dexter and Deb you guys are like family to me lets drink some beers"

He also had a bunch of scenes where he was leaning on Quinn not to go after Zach's family or something. Predictably, that went absolutely nowhere.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When did Batista last see his daughter? Season 2?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

deafmute posted:

You forgot *generic cop influenced by rich people to sweep things under the rug storyline*

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I think the season was written one episode at a time with only a vague idea of how it was going to end, the scripts were written in stream of consciousness and they just went with the first draft. I can picture someone pitching this approach as raw and edgy. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ahahahah :suicide:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/28747/spin-offs-dexter-maybe-mad-men-no

quote:

"Arguably, Dexter is to Showtime what Spider-Man is to Sony or Batman is to Warner Bros., so I think it's going to be important for us to keep it alive. "We spend a lot of time talking about how we keep the show alive, so it may be a more complicated original idea than just a spinoff… I hope that whatever we do will feel both original and in keeping with what people expect out of Dexter."

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
If I was allowed to write dialogue for one character on this show I'd pick Matthews, just because of the voice of the delivery of the actor.

"gently caress this dumb poo poo, let's get some broads up in here. Batista you know that bimbo from Vice, right? Detective Vagina? Whatever her name is. See if she can rustle us up some hussies from the street. I don't care what two-bit pimp you need to kneecap to make it happen, little Tom needs to take a trip to Tuna town."

"Now somebody make me a goddamn mos-ki-to."

Makes sense why Jennifer Carpenter lobbied as hard as possible to get Debra killed. Let's see if her wish comes true!

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 20, 2013

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

It's been said before but holy poo poo I am dying to know which character the geniuses at Showtime consider interesting enough to carry their own show.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Schwarbage posted:

It's been said before but holy poo poo I am dying to know which character the geniuses at Showtime consider interesting enough to carry their own show.

Head Harry. It turns out he's psychically bonded to Miami or something, so when Dexter takes off to Argentina, Harry is left haunting Miami on his own.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Schwarbage posted:

Masuka raising his 20 something year old daughter while attempting to juggle additional responsibilities like work, pets and zany neighbors!

Me in Reverse posted:

You forgot *generic cop influenced by rich people to sweep things under the rug storyline*
I remembered it but put it in the "completely pointless, not worth bringing up since it had no impact on anything" bucket :kiddo:

Someone needs to do a fan edit where they stitch all the Matthews scenes from every season together for maximum entertainment value.

Entropic posted:

Head Harry. It turns out he's psychically bonded to Miami or something, so when Dexter takes off to Argentina, Harry is left haunting Miami on his own.
Kind of an edgy Ghost Dad 2.0 vibe, pilot approved!

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
it's going to be dexter, just set in argentina. the show will be called ¡Dexter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

deafmute posted:

Masuka raising his 20 something year old daughter while attempting to juggle additional responsibilities like work, pets and zany neighbors!

I will only approve the greenlighting of this project if Masuka's goofy monster truck is sentient like Knight Rider.

• Locked thread