Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Does anyone have any recommendations for verifying the integrity of the WHS 2011 backups?
Either the client machine backups, and/or the server backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for verifying the integrity of the WHS 2011 backups?
Either the client machine backups, and/or the server backups.

You can see if a backup is successful or not in the dashboard, is that what you mean? Otherwise I don't know of a way to tell, sorry.

To add a request for myself, can anyone recommend a z10 automation solution for my WHS 2011 box? I would like to control my thermostat and probably some other devices when I get it up and running.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

You can see if a backup is successful or not in the dashboard, is that what you mean? Otherwise I don't know of a way to tell, sorry.

To add a request for myself, can anyone recommend a z10 automation solution for my WHS 2011 box? I would like to control my thermostat and probably some other devices when I get it up and running.

The completely inappropriately named "tell me how to install my own alarm system" thread is chock full of information about this stuff.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

kri kri posted:

Nope, I mean to verify the integrity of a backup after it has completed successfully.
Just wondering if there's a command line option to the backup tool to do a integrity check, or something like that.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 13, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

The completely inappropriately named "tell me how to install my own alarm system" thread is chock full of information about this stuff.

I appreciate it, I forgot that subforum existed.

If anyone is on the fence, WHS 2011 has been continuously great for me, no issues to speak of. $50 OS in a N40L is pretty nice.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

If anyone is on the fence, WHS 2011 has been continuously great for me, no issues to speak of. $50 OS in a N40L is pretty nice.

Me too, especially with DrivePool installed. Just broke 12tb the other day, and I have room for 3 more drives. Hopefully ~20tb will be enough.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

Me too, especially with DrivePool installed. Just broke 12tb the other day, and I have room for 3 more drives. Hopefully ~20tb will be enough.

I did DrivePool a few days ago and am really very impressed with it. Recommended. I use it on Win 8 pro.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I recall the only flaw I encountered with Drivepool was a while back when it would "lose" all of the shares in the pool. They were still on the drives but you had to manually re-add them after each reboot. That bug's been long gone and it seems to be incredibly stable and full of features now. No issues with Drivepool and WHS 2011. I do wish they would issue another update roll-up though and fix that GPT problem.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I recall the only flaw I encountered with Drivepool was a while back when it would "lose" all of the shares in the pool. They were still on the drives but you had to manually re-add them after each reboot. That bug's been long gone and it seems to be incredibly stable and full of features now. No issues with Drivepool and WHS 2011. I do wish they would issue another update roll-up though and fix that GPT problem.

GPT problem?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tivac posted:

GPT problem?

I assume we're speaking to the fact that WHS2011 can't backup data off of disks that have GPT partitions, or those computers with UEFI enabled boot volumes. WS2012 Essentials fixed both of these issues

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Nebulis01 posted:

I assume we're speaking to the fact that WHS2011 can't backup data off of disks that have GPT partitions, or those computers with UEFI enabled boot volumes. WS2012 Essentials fixed both of these issues

Correct. There's speculation that the next update roll-up patch for WHS 2011 will fix the issue, but that's not really confirmed.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Correct. There's speculation that the next update roll-up patch for WHS 2011 will fix the issue, but that's not really confirmed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272 seems to get partway there. Is WS2012 Essentials user friendly enough that a WHS v1 refugee could figure things out?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tivac posted:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272 seems to get partway there. Is WS2012 Essentials user friendly enough that a WHS v1 refugee could figure things out?

If all you wanted to do was media serving and backups? Yes it's dead simple. The cost is a bit steeper (around $500 i think, it's $100 if you know someone who works for MS)

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Tivac posted:

:stare: Well then. I had no idea there was a hotfix out for that issue. I suppose now there's really no reason not to use WHS 2011 (at least in my opinion.)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

:stare: Well then. I had no idea there was a hotfix out for that issue. I suppose now there's really no reason not to use WHS 2011 (at least in my opinion.)

Yup same here, glad to see it got released.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I'm migrating from WHSv1 to WHS 2011, and I got 2011 running on a separate drive as my system drive, but when I chuck in my old drives, nothing shows up on them. Same goes for putting my drives in my normal PC(to copy files off of it); is there something (maybe super obvious even) I'm missing? I'm able to copy files over the network by using my old system drive to boot, but this is kinda annoying/dumb...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you need to enable viewing hidden files, its a hidden directory with all the shares within it

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Well, I shouldn't have bragged about how great my server was working, because now it won't boot. :v:

Last week DrivePool told me I had a drive missing, so I popped open the case to check it out. I didn't see anything weird, but I reset the cables for all the drives, and then added a new drive that I had been waiting to put in anyway. On reboot, everything worked normally.

Today the same drive went missing, so I decided to just reboot, hoping that it would re-appear and work until tomorrow morning, as the wife was wanting to hang out and watch movies tonight. Now the server won't boot at all. If I boot normally, it hangs while on the screen with the moving bar at the bottom. The second time I tried Startup Manager or whatever, and it hung at some blue Windows background picture.

I'm starting actual safe mode right now, but I'm not sure what I should look for. Any tips?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Is there a way to remove the drives that are offline/no longer on a client computer from the backup selection window in client computer backups? Running WHS2011 and i seem to lack the ability to have the server re detect the drives attached to the client. I've uninstalled the connector software and removed all client data, i reinstall the connector and the old drives show up as (offline)

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Tivac posted:

I replaced my WHS v1 with server 2012 essentials. It's nearly as simple as WHS, and it's been a lot more reliable. I don't know if I'd pay $500 for it (I was given a free license from an acquaintance), but it's nice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'll be honest. I've been running WHS2011 and from having to reinstall the connector a bunch of times and other little problems, I feel like there's nothing WHS does that you couldn't accomplish with a machine running Windows 7 or 8. The exception being drive pooling.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I think the draw is mainly having specific services already baked in rather than having to go find specific applications to do them individually, including stuff on the client end like how backups are done and such.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Coredump posted:

I'll be honest. I've been running WHS2011 and from having to reinstall the connector a bunch of times and other little problems, I feel like there's nothing WHS does that you couldn't accomplish with a machine running Windows 7 or 8. The exception being drive pooling.

Backups are the biggest reason. WHS does great backup.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What would be a better choice - WHS 2011 with drivepool, or Server Essentials 2012 with Storage Spaces? Price does not factor.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

burritonegro posted:

What would be a better choice - WHS 2011 with drivepool, or Server Essentials 2012 with Storage Spaces? Price does not factor.

Essentials with DrivePool is your friend. I tried Storage Spaces at first but it really is just not thought out well. It attempts to do thin provisioning to obfuscate actual storage requirements but then backs itself into a corner if all of your drives aren't installed and added at the same time from the start.

The biggest issue is that there is absolutely no way to balance the storage load between drives in a pool. To give you an example, I was transitioning from WHS v1 to WS2012E, both in VM's on the same server. This meant I had to play the juggling game with drives so WS2012E started with a single 2TB storage drive. This got filled to ~60% before I could remove another drive from WHS and swap it over. At this point I created a new storage space and added a single two-way mirror and started moving over more data. Guess what happens when drive 1 is now at 90% filled and drive 2 is only at 30%? Low storage warning with no way to alleviate the condition other than adding more drives!

I tried to go forward a bit more and it only got worse from there. Once a drive is in a Storage Pool it can't be removed until ALL partitions/Spaces on the drive are cleared and deleted. This meant that by the end of my second migration (now to DrivePool) I had several drives in the Storage Pool sitting at 1-2% used that still could not be removed until the actual Storage Spaces were removed.

Also, Storage Spaces write performance is fairly abysmal especially if you dare to try a Parity Space. You also cannot add a drive to a Pool while maintaining the existing data, the drive must be reformatted. Even disaster recovery is worse when compared to WHS v1/DrivePool since a Storage Pool/Space can only be read on a WS2012 or Win8 computer and recovery from a single drive is still fairly untested.

In summary, stick with DrivePool.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does Server Essentials have all the backup features of WHS2011? That's one of the big things that keeps me locked into WHS. It just works.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EC posted:

Does Server Essentials have all the backup features of WHS2011? That's one of the big things that keeps me locked into WHS. It just works.

Yes it does, it also supports DirectAccess and some other remote app stuff that WHS2011 doesn't do.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
My current WHSv1 server is nearing its storage limit (10Tb), and the motherboard won't take anymore drives, so I'm thinking of building a new one at some point in the next year or so. Software-wise, I'm tossing up between WHS2011 and MS Server Essentials 2012 with Drivepool. Hardware-wise, I'm at a bit of a loss. I want to manage runnings costs but am not sure what sort of specs I should be going for. My current server has an Athlon II X2 and 2Gb of RAM, for comparison.

The other issue is supporting a large number of drives. I'm thinking of something like 8-10, so while I'd start off with 4x 4Tb drives and a smaller system drive, it could eventually support, say, eight 4Tb drives and a system drive. My current case (Fractal R3) can do this many, but I don't know what I should be looking for in terms of motherboards and power supply units to support that many. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Or would I be better off cost-wise in building a new 20/24Tb server with 5/6 drives and running both servers?

modeski fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 24, 2013

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

modeski posted:

I don't know what I should be looking for in terms of motherboards and power supply units to support that many. Does anyone have any ideas?

This information is a bit out of date as I built my current setup about 2.5 years ago, but should get you started at least.

I have a Coolermaster Stacker with ten drives in it. They are connected to a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 that has 8 internal sata ports and 2 external eSata ports, I am using eSata>Sata converter cables and running them straight back into the case to plug in two of the drives. My revision doesn't support drives larger that 2TB unfortunately, but otherwise it does the trick.

In order to get it to boot reliably however, I have to have two PSUs, which I think are 600W each, I can't remember for sure or remember the brand.. However it is more about the amperage on the 12V rail - each drive needs 1A at boot, and when you factor in the motherboard as well, I simply could not provide enough power from one supply. The case came with a cable that provides a passthrough so they start/stop properly, like this one - http://cablesaurus.com/Dual-PSU-24-Pin-Adapter-Cable . I think I have about 6/7 drives on one supply, and the MB and the other drives on the second supply.

Like I say it has been more than 2 years since I have even thought about it, so my memory is a bit hazy and you might now be able to run that many drives from one supply.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Couldn't you stagger the drive startups and potentially get a single PSU to provide enough power, or are all those drives in a big volume?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Oddhair posted:

Couldn't you stagger the drive startups and potentially get a single PSU to provide enough power, or are all those drives in a big volume?

I don't think a consumer level bios would give you the option to stage the drive initializations? However if you could do this then it should work - it is only the initial boot that requires 1A, usage after this is much lower as I recall.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Does anyone know why in the manage computer backup screen in WHS 2011 where you select the drives or folders of a client pc to backup, that one of my external drives would show up twice?
One entry has (offline) next to it and the other will let you browse the contents to choose a folder on the drive to backup.

It doesn't seem to affect anything.. just wondering what the deal is.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

Does anyone know why in the manage computer backup screen in WHS 2011 where you select the drives or folders of a client pc to backup, that one of my external drives would show up twice?
One entry has (offline) next to it and the other will let you browse the contents to choose a folder on the drive to backup.

Does it have two partitions on it maybe?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

modeski posted:

Does it have two partitions on it maybe?

Just checked now, there is only 1 partition on the whole drive. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The_Frag_Man posted:

Really really stupid question. Did you plug it into the same USB port every time?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Coredump posted:

Really really stupid question. Did you plug it into the same USB port every time?

Yes, I believe it has always been connected to the same port.
Actually I have two external drives, and I know for sure the other one was connected to a different port before but the volume for the older one is listed just once.
I'm having the issue with the new one, but the drive is the same make/model as the older one.

Restarting the computer or the server doesn't change anything, the volume still shows up twice with one of them listed as (offline).
I'm going to attempt to attach a screenshot, I don't know if this will work because I never tried it before. It's small and the image quality is low. I blanked out the computer name, due to paranoia. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

My current WHSv1 server is nearing its storage limit (10Tb), and the motherboard won't take anymore drives, so I'm thinking of building a new one at some point in the next year or so. Software-wise, I'm tossing up between WHS2011 and MS Server Essentials 2012 with Drivepool. Hardware-wise, I'm at a bit of a loss. I want to manage runnings costs but am not sure what sort of specs I should be going for. My current server has an Athlon II X2 and 2Gb of RAM, for comparison.

The other issue is supporting a large number of drives. I'm thinking of something like 8-10, so while I'd start off with 4x 4Tb drives and a smaller system drive, it could eventually support, say, eight 4Tb drives and a system drive. My current case (Fractal R3) can do this many, but I don't know what I should be looking for in terms of motherboards and power supply units to support that many. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Or would I be better off cost-wise in building a new 20/24Tb server with 5/6 drives and running both servers?

I use Drivepool on a WHS 2011 load (in HyperV) and it has been basically flawless. Hard do recommend against this.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

I use Drivepool on a WHS 2011 load (in HyperV) and it has been basically flawless. Hard do recommend against this.

I'm in the same boat. Custom-built server running Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 on RAID 1, WHS 2011 with Drivepool running as a virtual guest that communicates with the storage drives. It was a bit of pain in the beginning getting it configured but ever since then it has been working great.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I'm debating whether it's worth putting the OS (WHS2011) on its own drive, or merely on a partition of a larger drive. Any opinions either way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

I'm debating whether it's worth putting the OS (WHS2011) on its own drive, or merely on a partition of a larger drive. Any opinions either way?

I loaded it on its own drive for ease of fixing things.

• Locked thread