Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Smornstein posted:

I think Patty is supposed to be a reference to Chat from Tales of Eternia who was basically looking for Aifred's hidden treasure, i think he's her ancestor or something. Chat was useless in battle though from what i remember she was one of those characters that felt shoehorned in more than anything so they something in common.

There was an LP of that game done recently and from what I remember of it Chat wasn't that bad.

Karol is indeed the new Presea, to the point where he gets a skill later called "Combatir" which is Presea's last name :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Would the real Lloyd Irving please stand up.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I am already going to call this thread request a success

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahaha, this one?

I never played Vesperia, but in Graces I had to set both Sophie and Cheria to 100% healing artes only and they STILL found ways to gently caress around and not heal me. If Pascal had healing artes I'd just do all the combat myself.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Despite my paint skills I think it does well to capture the Tales experience.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
:monocle: I say, what made you think that an Eggbear Claw would be a common bear claw with egg on top, sir? It is obvious that I must educate you on the magnificence of the Eggbear (Ursus Eggus):

Behold it's shiny coat and unique tone of fur, coupled with its beautiful habit of carrying food on top of his back.

Also, Repede really DID start smoking at an early age:

Poor child - look at the innocence lost at the end of the pipe...

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Brunom1 posted:

Also, Repede really DID start smoking at an early age:
It's a hard dog life.

Kuvo should definitely try and make sure to buy new weapons whenever they appear since weapons and sub-weapons are your only source for abilities.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
My fail attempt at a Lloyd/Cornette face crossover.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh god, is this really happening? This is really happening. :allears: This thread will be a nice compliment as I work ever closer to getting caught up with Admiral's LP, too.

I'm not through all the episodes yet, but I'm glad to see Karol is already being appreciated for the master .gif artist he is.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

From a quick google, the "trick yo-yo" thing is a reference to the 'sleeper' trick, which is much easier with a yoyo which has ball bearings ('trick yo-yo' doesn't seem to be a common name for that, but bearings are needed for tricks).

Given how much I enjoyed the Symphonia LP, I am very glad this is a thing.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I enjoyed Vesperia.
But it's just as fun to watch people mock the dumb parts, of which there are many.

Here, have a terrible Lloyd.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Not sure how they missed him in every town he visited.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Am I missing something or am I supposed to know who this Lloyd is?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

necroid posted:

Am I missing something or am I supposed to know who this Lloyd is?

He's the protagonist from another Tales game that had a terribly drawn wanted poster of him used, I think, for actual humour. He was also the dumbest dumbshit protagonist and everything which is good about Yuri was bad about him.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

A jargogle posted:

He was also the dumbest dumbshit protagonist
good thing we are not playing Tales of Graces then.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

NextTime000 posted:

good thing we are not playing Tales of Graces then.

Asbel is a better protagonist than Lloyd, partly because Lloyd is completely awful. If anything Asbel is an okay character completely ruined by the plot around him, though, so it's kind of hard to begrudge him, but I'm not sure if I should go on a rant about how Tales of Graces basically ruins what would've been a good, interesting theme in favorite of ~*anime friendship*~ in a thread about a good game :v:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

To be honest I'm getting serious Cloud vibes from Yuri what with his being a smug rear end in a top hat who used to be soldier and all. He's slightly less of an rear end in a top hat though and hasn't whined about anything so right now Yuri gets points in my books.

Tales of Vesperia: Not-Cloud and Dog-Auron's excellent adventure.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
The blastia's dyin' Yuri!! :argh:

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

To be honest I'm getting serious Cloud vibes from Yuri what with his being a smug rear end in a top hat who used to be soldier and all. He's slightly less of an rear end in a top hat though and hasn't whined about anything so right now Yuri gets points in my books.

Tales of Vesperia: Not-Cloud and Dog-Auron's excellent adventure.

Don't worry. Yuri will do MORE than prove himself as the game goes on.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

LeafyOrb posted:

Yuri is more of a straightman with a sense of humor than a "smug rear end in a top hat." Everyone around him is some kind of JRPG or anime stereotype (albeit usually written decently, if not quite well) and he just makes quips and humorous observations about how bizarre everything is while still going along with it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Vicas posted:

Asbel is a better protagonist than Lloyd, partly because Lloyd is completely awful. If anything Asbel is an okay character completely ruined by the plot around him, though, so it's kind of hard to begrudge him, but I'm not sure if I should go on a rant about how Tales of Graces basically ruins what would've been a good, interesting theme in favorite of ~*anime friendship*~ in a thread about a good game :v:

Please do, especially since it seems like we have almost the exact same opinion on the game.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

WhiffleballDude posted:

Yuri is more of a straightman with a sense of humor than a "smug rear end in a top hat." Everyone around him is some kind of JRPG or anime stereotype (albeit usually written decently, if not quite well) and he just makes quips and humorous observations about how bizarre everything is while still going along with it.

That's kind of what Cloud was, though. Cloud's 'smug rear end in a top hat' phase only lasts a few hours. He didn't make quite as many sarcastic comments or quips like Yuri, but it was clear he wasn't just some humorless husk.

I like Cloud and Yuri for different reasons, though. Cloud because his story is actually pretty interesting and gives justification for the weird ways he acts, and Yuri because he defies a lot of what you'd expect from normal JRPG main characters, mainly in his mannerisms and ideals, who generally tend to range from incredibly dumb and 'good' (Lloyd) or just flat voids with no personality (Squall).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I only have one real problem with Yuri, there's a conversation that makes you wonder whether he had character development or if he's just an idiot. But that's so far off we won't get to it for a long time. And it's really more of a problem with the writing being kind of vague than it is Yuri himself.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Here's my poster. I am not an art(e)ist.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: Updates :frogsiren:

Ep 07: Good Vibrations Youtube

Releasing this early because I'm going to be busy all weekend. Someone please gif that one cut-scene. You know which one.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Kuvo posted:

:frogsiren: Updates :frogsiren:

Ep 07: Good Vibrations Youtube

Releasing this early because I'm going to be busy all weekend. Someone please gif that one cut-scene. You know which one.

I am watching this on the awful app and I can't watch this video because it said that it wasn't available to mobile users. Can you do something about that?

Edit: gently caress... :(

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 21, 2013

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Youtube says it matched 3rd party content ("Tales of vesperia -Original Soundtrack--yurameku kinki", sound recording administered by: WMG) so thats probably it. Not much I can do about it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Goddrat how can anyone be so bad at this game? It's a little impressive.

It's been awhile.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 21, 2013

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Why is Pow Hammer still a thing. I don't remember it ever being good in any Tales game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ It's a running joke/tradition. It's always given to the female lead, and speaking of traditions, her moveset will contain a mix of physical and magical attacks, probably leaning towards magical.

Camel Pimp posted:

Boy have I got a video series for you: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsz31gTLKEYTsvTxMSFX-FgJcnkTAMjLy

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
OMG. Now I really can't wait until Kuvo fights Gattuso. It's going to be madness.

momomimi
Oct 21, 2012

Compared to the vastness of the ocean, that's nothing to worry about!
Its good to have a protagonist that see's an opportunity to troll and acts on it. And no matter how many times I hear it, Yuri's "Prepare to die Eggbear!" Karol impersonation is just gold. Props to Troy Baker for the great delivery.

Kinda have to laugh at this whole 'filler' quest, going out of your way to get ingredients for an item that is normally bought at the store, for it to not work at all. :shrug: Well at least it gave Repede a chance to level up.

Anyways, best of luck with the move Kuvo!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

momomimi posted:

Kinda have to laugh at this whole 'filler' quest, going out of your way to get ingredients for an item that is normally bought at the store, for it to not work at all. :shrug:

They had to introduce the mechanic somehow. v:v:v

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Camel Pimp posted:

Boss is dead, DOESN'T MATTER

Also, requested GIF incoming later :v:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

momomimi posted:

Its good to have a protagonist that see's an opportunity to troll and acts on it. And no matter how many times I hear it, Yuri's "Prepare to die Eggbear!" Karol impersonation is just gold. Props to Troy Baker for the great delivery.

After Persona 4 Troy Baker is quickly becoming one of my favorite voice actors. He has a good range and seems to really get into character well.

<-- Speaking of Persona :argh:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Troy Baker is a pretty awesome dude and I am happy that he gets a lot of voice work because he really is pretty great

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
So why is Kuvo's avatar Persona related now? You'd think he'd get Repede or Karol. Yes, I'm still mad over being stuck with the starting baby. No, I'm not going buy a prepaid card just to change it since I don't know what to pick.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Singh Long posted:

No, I'm not going buy a prepaid card just to change it since I don't know what to pick.

Come on now do really think someone is going to fall for such an obvious ploy.

If you really want an avatar go poo poo post some where and hope you don't get banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

Come on now do really think someone is going to fall for such an obvious ploy.

If you really want an avatar go poo poo post some where and hope you don't get banned.

Dammit you found out my plan! I'm ruined!
But in all honesty, I don't really pay that much attention to my avatar, otherwise I would've changed it by now. I'm rather bad at this sarcasm thing.

Back to Kuvo though, once you use a magic lens on an enemy once, you can recall the info anytime. When I played through the game, IIRC I would try to keep myself a couple lvls above the enemies of an area before fighting a boss. Your party average was 8, while Eggbear was 12. That might also be why it kept mauling everyone in a couple hits.

• Locked thread