Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I never plan on going back to 12. I just couldn't loving stand Vaan and Penelo.

I don't understand this at all. I mean yeah they're not great characters, but how can you possibly say they're so bad that they ruin the game for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can understand someone making a semi-blind buy of XIII with the hope that it would have a lot of story content like past Final Fantasies, but man, I can't imagine someone doing that for XIII-2 or Lightning Returns unless they're the types that practically inject themselves with anime on a daily basis. My belief was that people are buying them in the hopes they'd do something with XIII's largely-experimental battle system (which they did, at the very least).

To be fair, X-2 had one of the most stupid stupid anime plots but had the most perfect combat system out of any Final Fantasy.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Like the fact that its not part of the plot of FFVIII. If the main story had been that Ultemecia is a witch who is merging all space and time to play the greatest masters of Triple Triad from all history and Squall Lionheart is a plucky teen going to the CarD academy who believes in the heart of the cards I would probably without irony defend it as the best FF story.

Edit: In this version Eyes on Me isn't a love song but rather his grandiose and self-aggrandize rap track about how nobody can look away when he plays card games.

This was actually made into artwork in my FF8 hate-a-thon LP:

I loved it then; I still love it now.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-GfCaeRLs

Well, that's certainly a thing. So not surprised.

(you have to buy some sort of guide to get it, I believe)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

amaranthine posted:

At least she has Aeris' end of battle pose? Why did LightningCloud show up for a second there?

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

At least she has Aeris' end of battle pose? Why did LightningCloud show up for a second there?

No idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aerith and Lightning have the same voice actress so that isn't actually a big surprise.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Your clothing changes when you change paradigms basically.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I believe you can set an overworld outfit while your default paradigm is a different one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want to believe that they will use the end of that preview as the start of the reveal of the Lightning Sephiroth costume.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

amaranthine posted:

:lol: They show a cutscene of her getting impaled specifically for the Aerith costume

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man that costume (and that victory pose) looks incredibly screamingly out-of-place.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I like that they actually went through with replicating the battle poses for these game-reference outfits. With how lazy S-E has been with other parts of the XIII series, that's at least a nice touch.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Will buy if they add a Barret costume. You all know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Your clothing changes when you change paradigms basically.

That makes more sense than anything else I know about FF XIII. Thanks!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why do people keep calling FF13 "anime" as a bad thing while extolling how great and awesome 5 and 6 were? which were way more "anime" than 13.

13's story wasn't very good but it wasn't terribly anime especially compared to actual anime games or even other Final Fantasies. Is "anime" really just a buzzword for "things i dont like"?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You haven't realized that by now?

e: Also just a heads up, I'm sure it wasn't your intent but the thread's going to be derailed for at least a page now.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 22, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why do people keep calling FF13 "anime" as a bad thing while extolling how great and awesome 5 and 6 were? which were way more "anime" than 13.

13's story wasn't very good but it wasn't terribly anime especially compared to actual anime games or even other Final Fantasies. Is "anime" really just a buzzword for "things i dont like"?

The earlier FFs benefit greatly from the limitations of technology. The less boundaries you give a Final Fantasy game the worse it will be.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

The earlier FFs benefit greatly from the limitations of technology. The less boundaries you give a Final Fantasy game the worse it will be.

Early FFs had literal anime sweatdrops, which is as anime as it gets.

Also no I'm pretty sure that's just nostalgia talking.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Which ones? I know they aren't in 6. Can't speak to 5 because I've only played the Advance port.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Possible answers: FF6 was more like operatic and FF5 was the funny kind; "anime" meant something different in the 90s; it's just a phrase that people use when they aren't able or willing to better articulate their displeasure.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Anime is a good shorthand for "asinine melodrama where the characters all have terrible designs and the plot is a mishmash of made up words for normal terms." Basically FF13, The Biggest Anime.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anime is a good shorthand for "asinine melodrama where the characters all have terrible designs and the plot is a mishmash of made up words for normal terms." Basically FF13, The Biggest Anime.

So, the final fantasy series in its entirety?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I just can't imagine anyone that puts up with these games because they just loving LOVE the battle system.

Counterpoint: FF5 and FF12.

(Then again, I also like the stories of both of those, but the battle systems are the real meat, IMO.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm not a big fan of FF4, but I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a sentence that is as nonsensical as "The fal'cie of cocoon believe that l'cie of pulse were around so they purged them to pulse so the l'cie could not complete their Focus" from FF4. There's also something to be said for taking those weird-rear end Amano designs and turning them into sprites that carry over only a few of the traits, or not having the dialogue voiced so you don't have to hear how the director thinks this terrible line is super serious and inspiring and you should too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Which ones? I know they aren't in 6. Can't speak to 5 because I've only played the Advance port.
I think 5 might in a couple of its speech bubble emotes, but the FF series didn't feature any outright sweatdrops aside from that. Not even FF8. Star Ocean, Breath of Fire, and the Tales games did 'em from day one, though, and he could just be getting his wires crossed.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

a roo is a "man-made tunnel from before recorded history"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not a big fan of FF4, but I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a sentence that is as nonsensical as "The fal'cie of cocoon believe that l'cie of pulse were around so they purged them to pulse so the l'cie could not complete their Focus" from FF4. There's also something to be said for taking those weird-rear end Amano designs and turning them into sprites that carry over only a few of the traits, or not having the dialogue voiced so you don't have to hear how the director thinks this terrible line is super serious and inspiring and you should too.

Oh, I hope I don't give off the air that I don't think that FF13's plot is a gigantic mess and the dialogue and terms are head scratchingly dumb, because they totally are. I just don't think it's fair to act like FF13 is some outlier in the series, since almost all the FFs have some sort of "anime" stupidity in them. "it was easier to overlook" isn't a really good defense in my opinion.

Also yeah I was thinking of 5 with the anime sweatdrops, could have sworn it was more prevalent but I hadn't played 5 in years. Thought they were in 6 too but I think I might have gotten those two confused in my mind.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Help guys, it turns out that I think All The Bravest is... actually fun?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

And yes.

I rather dislike it when people take offense at the use of the word "anime" as a derisive term, as it's become one for a very good reason. Don't try to pretend it isn't, we all know the stereotypes and the reasons for the stereotypes. There's anime I love without a hint of irony, but when I call something "anime" I'm not being nice and everyone understands the gist of what I mean.

FF13's combat system is probably the best in the franchise and is the only reason I continued playing it, because it didn't have much else going for it besides two great musical tracks (battle theme and Oerba). The plot is clearly the weakest link being nonsensical, a bit of a shaggy dog story, and so self-indulgent as to rob the characters of most any opportunity to just be characters. Contrast this with the Tales series which is at least twice as anime but has much better gameplay and is filled to the brim with character moments, often in the form of collectible skits. Granted, I have a hard time going back to any Final Fantasy besides Tactics, but that's because FFT is basically Tactics Ogre Lite. Though I do enjoy it more than TO, if only because it seems to strike a good balance between levity and gravitas thanks to its sidequests as well asvarious little touches of flavor throughout.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Help guys, it turns out that I think All The Bravest is... actually fun?

Don't spend any money on it. Go ahead and fiddle with clock settings if you must.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh, I hope I don't give off the air that I don't think that FF13's plot is a gigantic mess and the dialogue and terms are head scratchingly dumb, because they totally are. I just don't think it's fair to act like FF13 is some outlier in the series, since almost all the FFs have some sort of "anime" stupidity in them. "it was easier to overlook" isn't a really good defense in my opinion.

Also yeah I was thinking of 5 with the anime sweatdrops, could have sworn it was more prevalent but I hadn't played 5 in years. Thought they were in 6 too but I think I might have gotten those two confused in my mind.

Once you add voice acting, though, it DOES become hard to ignore the hackiness of the writers, though. If it was just in text, I might think that even some of FF13's more awful lines were less awful because I could think "well, that's a terrible line and the character would probably realize it. Maybe it's not sincere? She is talking to an idiot kid, maybe it's just her saying poo poo that she thinks will work on an idiot." Thanks to the advent of voice acting, I can answer that question, and the answer is yes, the line is sincere. Every line is 100000% sincere and I am supposed to be emotionally moved by the fact that Hope's name is Hope and he gives people hope. It's basically the difference between reading a play, and watching that play be put on by an incompetent director.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Once you add voice acting, though, it DOES become hard to ignore the hackiness of the writers, though. If it was just in text, I might think that even some of FF13's more awful lines were less awful because I could think "well, that's a terrible line and the character would probably realize it. Maybe it's not sincere?" Thanks to the advent of voice acting, I can answer that question, and the answer is yes, the line is sincere. Every line is 100000% sincere and I am supposed to be emotionally moved by the fact that Hope's name is Hope and he gives people hope. It's basically the difference between reading a play, and watching that play be put on by an incompetent director.

If Hope made a few bad puns based on his name, he would have been instantly redeemed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder if people would have a lesser opinion of pre-FFX games if they were all redone with voice acting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if people would have a lesser opinion of pre-FFX games if they were all redone with voice acting.

There are certainly people that hate the notion of voice-acting in any game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If Hope made a few bad puns based on his name, he would have been instantly redeemed.

Only if he also became a monstrously self absorbed asshat, in other words Snow 2.0.

"I BRING YOU...Me."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Tae posted:

There are certainly people that hate the notion of voice-acting in any game.

Well, the DS version of FFIV had decent voice acting. I really can't imagine a voiced FF6 working, though. Yes, I know of Dissidia and most of the voiced lines are awful. Imagine the "thou" scene directed by the same people who made Kingdom Hearts and FF13. Imagine any humorous scene. It's a horrible thought.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Don't spend any money on it. Go ahead and fiddle with clock settings if you must.
Look man, my avatar and title may have come from Puzzle & Dragons rather than ATB, but the sentiment is the same. IAP is loving bullshit. Clock fiddling is basically also bullshit, since I can just wait a while to play more games, but I certainly understand why other people do it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Lightning's mind has been replaced by Daniel Craig's brain. Only now the two are becoming corrupted and instead of Daniel Craig living through the memories of all Past Bonds as Daniel Craig(see Golden Eye remake) he is somehow living through the past experiences of all previous final fantasy characters while he is in Lightning.

It's just a big Meta Sequel to Being John Malcovich.

I also wouldn't put it past Daniel Craig to show up as one of the previous Avatars either, he just infects media.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Extended TGS LR trailer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also, while I'm talking about All the Bravest, does every single enemy have a weapon drop? How much grinding can I do here?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kyrosiris posted:

Counterpoint: FF5 and FF12.

(Then again, I also like the stories of both of those, but the battle systems are the real meat, IMO.)

Also XIII and X-2. Though, I actually unironically love the bits of X-2 that I've played that aren't 'the hitting' stuff sections. It's the most beautifully ridiculous nonsense.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the most anime in the series.

I can't wait for Lightning to get Luso's outfit next (for reference)