Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

scamtank posted:

I don't think Force Commander had space battles. Empire at War fits that bill, though.

I am thinking that is it. Will have to get my hands on a copy and respond.

(Before I get accused of :filez:, I have a friend out of town who is a Star Wars obsessive. I wanted a lead before I said "Hey, dude. Can I borrow most of your Star Wars game library?")

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played a game a few years ago, and it was basically Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons but modern. It had full fleets, the combat was satisfying and had boat-to-boat combat. You could be a pirate or a trader, and both were fun. That's all I really have to go on.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Turtlicious posted:

I played a game a few years ago, and it was basically Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons but modern. It had full fleets, the combat was satisfying and had boat-to-boat combat. You could be a pirate or a trader, and both were fun. That's all I really have to go on.

Since you don't remember if it was 2D or 3D or even what platform you played it on, I'm going to go with "Pirates!"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Joe Man posted:

Since you don't remember if it was 2D or 3D or even what platform you played it on, I'm going to go with "Pirates!"

It wasn't pirates, but it was PC and 3D

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

It wasn't pirates, but it was PC and 3D

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sea-dogs
http://www.mobygames.com/game/pirates-of-the-caribbean
http://www.mobygames.com/game/age-of-pirates-caribbean-tales
http://www.mobygames.com/game/age-of-pirates-2-city-of-abandoned-ships

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
edit: never mind

wb fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 16, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hfive: It's the pirates of the carribean game. Which is weird, because I don't remember it having anything to do with the movie.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

:hfive: It's the pirates of the carribean game. Which is weird, because I don't remember it having anything to do with the movie.

Pirates of the Caribbean was originally developed as Sea Dogs 2. When Disney came out with the movie, someone saw a way to make money and they slapped some half-assed "Black Pearl" plot onto the game and renamed it.

If you're going to replay it, I'd recommend the Build mod (which I guess they call New Horizons now): http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

Turtlicious posted:

Errm Wait. Can you get a fleet and have more then one ship in the battle? I remember that I think.

Yes.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 16, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Joe Man posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean was originally developed as Sea Dogs 2. When Disney came out with the movie, someone saw a way to make money and they slapped some half-assed "Black Pearl" plot onto the game and renamed it.

If you're going to replay it, I'd recommend the Build mod (which I guess they call New Horizons now): http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

Errm Wait. Can you get a fleet and have more then one ship in the battle? I remember that I think.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Here's another game I'm looking for, I've got less information to go on this time, though.

It was an NES or a SNES game, I honestly can't remember, although I'm leaning towards NES. You were an airplane, and you had a map screen where you could select where to fly to. My favourite mission was attacking a ship, but I know there were land targets too. Once you were attacking a place you would control from a top-down perspective and had free reign of what direction you could fly in, but if you flew away from the target, eventually you'd hit the end of the map and return to the map screen. I also remember the victory screen would show a building, and after a second or two it would raise a flag or something.

I know this isn't too much to go on, I was super young when I played it, but I keep thinking about it and figure one of you guys might know what I'm talking about.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Okay, I've got an arcade game or two. Both from the early 90s.

1.) It was a 1-4 player mounted gun shooter thing. Instead the guns being recognizable machine guns or pulse rifles or something, there were these strange mounted laser cannons you held on with both hands. They had small aiming windows that, if you used them to actually aim, made the shots leaving your gun have a neat 3D effect. The theme was "Japanese Ghostbusters rip-off".

2.) Another 1(-2?) player mounted gun shooter. About the only thing that distinguished it from the licensed Alien crap was the fact that the aliens had one huge eye. The rolling demo had a good long moment of one of those bluish-purple things staring straight at the player, slavering and wiggling a little.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

Here's another game I'm looking for, I've got less information to go on this time, though.

It was an NES or a SNES game, I honestly can't remember, although I'm leaning towards NES. You were an airplane, and you had a map screen where you could select where to fly to. My favourite mission was attacking a ship, but I know there were land targets too. Once you were attacking a place you would control from a top-down perspective and had free reign of what direction you could fly in, but if you flew away from the target, eventually you'd hit the end of the map and return to the map screen. I also remember the victory screen would show a building, and after a second or two it would raise a flag or something.

I know this isn't too much to go on, I was super young when I played it, but I keep thinking about it and figure one of you guys might know what I'm talking about.

This is my best guess: http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/ultimate-air-combat

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Danaru posted:

U.N. Squadron matches everything but the top-down part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0xfgdPdMQ

boof
Jun 3, 2001

scamtank posted:

2.) Another 1(-2?) player mounted gun shooter. About the only thing that distinguished it from the licensed Alien crap was the fact that the aliens had one huge eye. The rolling demo had a good long moment of one of those bluish-purple things staring straight at the player, slavering and wiggling a little.

Going to guess this is Space Gun.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

boof posted:

Going to guess this is Space Gun.

The color palette isn't anything like I remembered, but that must be it. Thank you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

scamtank posted:

1.) It was a 1-4 player mounted gun shooter thing. Instead the guns being recognizable machine guns or pulse rifles or something, there were these strange mounted laser cannons you held on with both hands. They had small aiming windows that, if you used them to actually aim, made the shots leaving your gun have a neat 3D effect. The theme was "Japanese Ghostbusters rip-off".

Laser Ghost

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pretty close, but not quite. the top down segments were from straight above.

Pneub posted:

U.N. Squadron matches everything but the top-down part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0xfgdPdMQ

I love U.N. Squadron too, but it's different. You're not constrained to flying in one direction and moving around, like in Gradius, you can fly anywhere in the square you're given until you hit the end of the map, which ends the mission.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Danaru posted:

Pretty close, but not quite. the top down segments were from straight above.

There are some difference (like you're in a helicopter instead of a plane and it's an aircraft carrier with a flag rather than a building) but even if it isn't it, you'd probably like this rad as hell NES game called Firehawk.

More likely though it's MiG-29, also for NES (both by Codemasters though hehee).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
This one just popped into my head and I can't remember the name of it. Old PC game (286/386 sort of era) in which you picked a blocky, polygonal ship at the start and flew around a 3D world shooting at other blocky polygonal things. The view was from behind your ship and the ground was mostly grass (well, it was green). At the end of each stage you got a score which was phrased as though it was TV ratings that you were gaining with your performance. I really can't remember much more than that.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Fil5000 posted:

This one just popped into my head and I can't remember the name of it. Old PC game (286/386 sort of era) in which you picked a blocky, polygonal ship at the start and flew around a 3D world shooting at other blocky polygonal things. The view was from behind your ship and the ground was mostly grass (well, it was green). At the end of each stage you got a score which was phrased as though it was TV ratings that you were gaining with your performance. I really can't remember much more than that.

Zarch (AKA Virus)?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fil5000 posted:

Probably Thunderstrike
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2469
You flew a ship around a kind of open arena with banked edges, shooting things and getting scored on your performance for a TV show

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

baka kaba posted:

Probably Thunderstrike
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2469
You flew a ship around a kind of open arena with banked edges, shooting things and getting scored on your performance for a TV show

This is it - excellent, thank you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fil5000 posted:

This is it - excellent, thank you.

Don't thank me - thank the thread

(Seriously, click my post history ? button)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So this one has been bugging me on and off for a while now and it may be a bit obscure for many people - it certainly seems tough to google. Here goes..

It was a BBS Door Game, very similar to Land of Devastation (it had a similar combat "countdown timer" which you could hit space bar to try and hit a certain number, and I believe it had a stat/RNG-based combat mechanic as well, but the spacebar was just way way easier to land every hit, similar to LOD.) It was also a post-apocalyptic RPG door game, and I remember you started in a friendly base where you could buy some basic gear and stuff.

It always seemed a bit more polished than LOD to me, but I never got super far in either.. It's been bugging me for years though, because I'd like to track down some website which is hosting it, and try my hand now that I'm not 11 years old..

Thanks!

Edit: nm I'm an idiot, I think this one was answered when I asked a year ago and forgot.. I'm pretty sure it was Operation Overkill (or maybe the sequel?)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 11, 2013

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

So after hanging out on GoG all day due to the Insomnia sale, an old game came to mind and I've wondered about it off and on for years. My memories are super fuzzy, so not all of this may be dead-on correct.

I had it on a demo disc back in the late 90s. In the demo you began in a jail cell talking to a voice-acted jailer who talks about you being executed the next day. You solve some puzzles and escape and make it out into the street where you then shoot at various guards on rooftops and in the street in a strange, on-rails shooting segment.

That's as far as I can remember. I think the jailer may have been heavily cockney British and the game took place in London. May have had something to do with pirates. I feel like maybe that's why you were in jail in the first place.

I know it isn't much, but any ideas?

Edit: It was first person as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Tendoru
Jan 17, 2009
I recently remebered the time my dad got our first computer. Dos and Win 3.1 only.
We had some disks with games, that we could start with Norton Commander.

One game I just cannot remember the name of, was on one of those disks.

The game was 2D. The game was stationary and if I remember correctly it had a black background and blueish blocks. There is no bottom and you had to drop a ball from the top, that then rolled/fell downwards into some kind of labyrinth.

There were purple/pink arrows (maybe yellow arrows inside purple/pink boxes) that changed the direction the ball would go.

I think that there was a paddle or something on the bottom, that moved the ball when it got all the way down.
Unfortunately i cannot remember the goal of the game...

I tried to use my long lost mspaint skills to draw from memory:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is it Rollem?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Either that or Bolo Ball, which it seems to be based on.

I definitely remember playing this as a kid in the nineties.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

making GBS threads stars posted:

An old game where you played as a bear that wore an apron and had to push food and stuff down holes. After beating the level the bear would dance. I /think/ it was an arcade game.

I know this is from back on page 5 and it's possible I missed the answer, but this is Yam!Yam!

Tendoru
Jan 17, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Either that or Bolo Ball, which it seems to be based on.

I definitely remember playing this as a kid in the nineties.

Yes I am very sure, that it is Bolo Ball. Thanks a lot!

Sephuran
Nov 12, 2011

Alright this one might be tricky but it has been bugging me for awhile, there is a certain pac-man type game that i'm looking for, I believe it came out around the mid to late 90's (that's when I played it at least). If I recall correctly it had some nice 2.5D graphics but the main selling point was that the music was absolutely phenomenal, if anybody could help me figure this out i'd greatly appreciate it.

e: I've got a couple more: So there was this one strategy game with a bunch of dumb looking aliens, 4 races I think, big purple snake dudes that liked magic/psionic/blue shooty stuff, a bunch of tribal multi-eyed green tentically guys, these chumpy little mole-rat people and these rad pig dudes with guns and motorcycles. Might have come out late 90's - early 00's or something, I only played a demo but it stuck with me.

Another one is an arcade-esque shooter with a pretty in-depth upgrade system, the first few levels had you wittling down these massive 3D rocks of varying fun colours, later levels would have you disassembling DNA-like structures and other fun shapes. It had multiplayer also.

These are all for PC if that clears anything up.

Sephuran fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 21, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pac-Mania?

Doo doodle doodle doodle deedly doo, da doo doo daaa na na na naaa, blim blim blam blam (probably nothing like that if I listened to it again)

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Sephuran posted:

e: I've got a couple more: So there was this one strategy game with a bunch of dumb looking aliens, 4 races I think, big purple snake dudes that liked magic/psionic/blue shooty stuff, a bunch of tribal multi-eyed green tentically guys, these chumpy little mole-rat people and these rad pig dudes with guns and motorcycles. Might have come out late 90's - early 00's or something, I only played a demo but it stuck with me.

It's War Wind.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Two games I can't remember much of, so I don't have much hope.

First one was a PC game. I think it was either a Disney game or Garfield?

I remember playing a demo,likely from a Maximum PC demo disc when I was little, and the demo levels were really dark. It was a 2D action or platformer game. It would've come out in the later 90s, like 1998 or 1999.

The other one was a Disney game for the Genesis. Either Mickey or Donald Duck, I think. There was a boat in black and white with one of Donald Duck's nephews at it.

Those're vague at best but all I can remember. :saddowns:

edit: Oh right, a third one. a PC RTS from the same era. I remember there was an Inn you could get hero type units at and there was lots of fake Asian languages for unit responses.

Irritated Goat posted:

There was this FPS game I played back in the early 90's. All I remember is it was sort of like Farcry kind of setting. I believe it was called "Island of Dr. ?????" I don't remember the last part. Suggestions?

The OP is almost 6 years old, but I wonder if it was the Secret Island of Dr. Quandray. There were first-person parts, at least.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 21, 2013

HMC
May 18, 2009

Anatharon posted:

The other one was a Disney game for the Genesis. Either Mickey or Donald Duck, I think. There was a boat in black and white with one of Donald Duck's nephews at it.

Mickey Mania?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hm, don't think that's it; I remember some kind of hub and it being much blacker, like inverse of the typical black and white colouration.

It might've been gameplay light, or I just sucked at it as a kid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maui Mallard, maybe? You could always just look up all the Disney games on the Genesis - there are only so many of them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Maui Mallard is probably the other one I mentioned.

I tried looking at the list of Genesis games that were Disney but I couldn't see anything like it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There was a Dungeons and Dragons game from the late 90s or early 2000s I vaguely remember.

It was a RTS game where the premise was you're a wizard controlling various creatures. IIRC the "main" creature is a basalt golem that does simple fighting, but also transforms into a pyramid to generate mana/money to buy other creatures/upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

There was a Dungeons and Dragons game from the late 90s or early 2000s I vaguely remember.

It was a RTS game where the premise was you're a wizard controlling various creatures. IIRC the "main" creature is a basalt golem that does simple fighting, but also transforms into a pyramid to generate mana/money to buy other creatures/upgrades.

Blood & Magic. It was kinda poo poo.

• Locked thread