Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Would people get mad if I try to just specialize in as few guns as possible? I really love the G36 and would rather spend the money on skills and mods then continue buying every single weapon trying to find the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Like legit the last time I used my Reinfeld was Firestarter 1. It couldn't even one shot headshot tan SWAT from the back of a hangar to the center of it, they'd do that stagger where they fall down but get right back up. With the Reinfeld like that, there's no real reason to bring it instead of the IZHMA, since it fires faster and as far as I can tell, doesn't perform any worse.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
So you can't reliably one-hit kill the toughest non-special enemy in the game at ranges beyond point blank? That's not really that devastating a nerf, considering how easy it is to dump half an AR mag into a tan swat. Everything below them still melts under shotgun fire.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Ularg posted:

Would people get mad if I try to just specialize in as few guns as possible? I really love the G36 and would rather spend the money on skills and mods then continue buying every single weapon trying to find the right one.

With the way card drops are, you tend to specialize in what you've actually gotten mods for. I ran shotgun enforcer for the first month of release and I avoided the reinfeld like the plague because I didn't (and still haven't) gotten any goddamn mods for the thing.

You get 9 primary and 9 secondary weapon slots and money is mostly irrelevant after level 30, there's really no downside to swapping weapons all the time to try and find what you like to use. Weapon balance changes nearly every patch, it's pretty normal for everybody I play with to swap out half a dozen guns every time one of these big patches hits.

If we had more weapon slots I would just buy one of every weapon (and extras for specific low-visibility stealth setups).

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

With the Reinfeld like that, there's no real reason to bring it instead of the IZHMA, since it fires faster and as far as I can tell, doesn't perform any worse.

The Izhma still does a lot less damage than the Reinfeld and will generally take more shots to put cops down.

Speaking of numbers, check out this barrel mod damage chart that c4ndlejack made on Friday:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

IAmUnaware posted:

I think Bain is just voice acted by a guy who works at Overkill, so at least they have easy access to him.

EDIT: It's Simon Viklund, who is apparently the audio director and composer at Starbreeze.

Holy poo poo really? That's actually really awesome :banjo:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I just got this and I really like the concept of the game, and after playing a few heists on my own with the AI, I'm a little frustrated. I can see how splitting the team up would be very effective, but I can't figure out a way to give commands to my fellow criminals. Is there a mumble or TS that any regular players play on?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Thump! posted:

I just got this and I really like the concept of the game, and after playing a few heists on my own with the AI, I'm a little frustrated. I can see how splitting the team up would be very effective, but I can't figure out a way to give commands to my fellow criminals. Is there a mumble or TS that any regular players play on?

Read this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562049

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ten_twentyfour posted:

The damage from all the shotguns is just pitiful, even close up.
The only shotgun that had its base damage nerfed is the Mosconi, and it's still the highest damage weapon in the game. I want them to bump the range back up on the shotguns too but if you can't kill poo poo up close with them that's on you.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Thump! posted:

Don't play with the ai, they are bad simply because they can't pick up bags or use any special abilities. If you play with pubs, you can use ingame voice, which is not great but works, and there is a goon group/mumble.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Roxors posted:

Don't play with the ai, they are bad simply because they can't pick up bags or use any special abilities. If you play with pubs, you can use ingame voice, which is not great but works, and there is a goon group/mumble.

Caveat: playing with the AI can be alright at the very start. I learned to play the game running missions with the AI until I felt confident that I could be of use to a team of pubbies.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

zylche posted:

@locust9: "we will never go back to the 40m shotgun."

:smith:

I think I'm done with this game for a while. I'm tired of them loving up classes by nerfing poo poo that wasn't an issue. What the point of Enforcer now? Saw and ammo bitch? No thanks.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Play some Jewellery Store, Nightclub and 4 Stores until you've got a few levels and no longer run around the middle of the road getting completely destroyed and running out of ammo. The main thing to remember is to play defensively and don't waste resources.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm level 100 and now I have too many points to know what to do with!!

Maybe this

http://goo.gl/EbYA9G

Or something really dumb and involving dual sentries.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Finally have some time to just sit and play games tonight - it's been about 3 weeks since I've played any PD2, has the Xbox version finally gotten a patch or is it still pre-beta?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

KennyLoggins posted:

I think I'm done with this game for a while. I'm tired of them loving up classes by nerfing poo poo that wasn't an issue. What the point of Enforcer now? Saw and ammo bitch? No thanks.

Having tons of health and armor and never running out of ammo so you can run around killing everyone?

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
I still use the Reinfeld on nearly all heists; with the shotgun perks and mods it's still hugely ammo efficient, one-shots Tans at a perfectly acceptable range, staggers them if further so my team can finish them off easily, plenty of shots before reloads to empty into Dozers... All fine with me. I play Mastermind/Enforcer, so as long as I can wade in, blast everyone around a downed team-mate and shout them up I'm happy. That hasn't become any harder to do since the patch.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FedoraDefender420 posted:

The main thing to remember is to play defensively and don't waste resources.

It's pretty aggravating playing with people who don't seem to understand that you don't have to kill everyone, especially if after all that shooting you're complaining about having no ammo left. The main point of the game is survival and getting away with loads of loot, and that involves shooting mans sometimes. But not all the time, every time.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

KennyLoggins posted:

I'm tired of them loving up classes by nerfing poo poo that wasn't an issue.

Then I guess it's a good thing that this didn't happen!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Bocc Kob posted:

Having tons of health and armor and never running out of ammo so you can run around killing everyone?

That and the mosconi is still a beast in the hands of a competent enforcer. But other than all that stuff enforcers are useless.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

KennyLoggins posted:

Yeah I know right who the gently caress needs ammo

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Yeah, other than these [very good class-specific skills/bonuses] this class sucks!!

versus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 24, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Insert name here posted:

The only shotgun that had its base damage nerfed is the Mosconi, and it's still the highest damage weapon in the game. I want them to bump the range back up on the shotguns too but if you can't kill poo poo up close with them that's on you.

Yes but they nerfed all shotguns' damage dropoff so the reinfeld has a waaaaaay shorter range, and they already admitted that they hosed up the loco because they're upping its range on next patch, same with the saiga.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

KennyLoggins posted:

If you don't think the mosconi/loco being far, far superior to basically every other weapon in the game was an issue I don't even know what to tell you.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Guillermus posted:

Yes but they nerfed all shotguns' damage dropoff so the reinfeld has a waaaaaay shorter range, and they already admitted that they hosed up the loco because they're upping its range on next patch, same with the saiga.
Yeah, but he specified up close. Like I said I want them to boost the shotgun (Mosconi excluded) ranges back up (and I know they're going to do so for the Loco and the Saiga), but up close if you're having troubles still that's not the game's fault.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

versus posted:

Yeah, other than these [very good class-specific skills/bonuses] this class sucks!!
Well what did the enforcers ever do for us?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Mosconi and Saiga are still fun, even funner in light armor and speed bonuses. gently caress the cops, ain't nobody touching me! :mmmhmm:

Enforcer is great fun.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The saiga is great even without the shotgun skills. I roll a mixed build (ghostforcer with tech for the headshot bonus and mastermind for smooth talker) and even without overkill it wrecks tans at close range. It's really not hard to play to the strengths of the gun (especially with the speed boosts from ghost) unless you're trying to use it on a map that it's not really suited for like big oil day 2 or diamond store.

I'm happy that they're increasing the falloff range a bit but if you're taking shots at that kind of range you're not using it correctly to begin with.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

zylche posted:

Well what did the enforcers ever do for us?

Wore really heavy armor, dropped ammo and brought the saw? :v:

I really like playing Enforcer, I just need to respec out of the shotgun stuff and into things like Flash Resistance.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vatek posted:

I'm happy that they're increasing the falloff range a bit but if you're taking shots at that kind of range you're not using it correctly to begin with.
By "taking shots at that kind of range" you mean past 1 meter? Because that's currently where the damage fall-off of the Saiga starts right now, and they're changing it to 8 meters next patch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

King Vidiot posted:

It's pretty aggravating playing with people who don't seem to understand that you don't have to kill everyone, especially if after all that shooting you're complaining about having no ammo left. The main point of the game is survival and getting away with loads of loot, and that involves shooting mans sometimes. But not all the time, every time.

I still occasionally end up in a pub Bank Heist where pubbies manage to run dry on ammo on the first wave of cops. Bonus points if they're an Enforcer standing out in the street blowing away first responders and then go down to bugged cop pistols and complain about "the armor bug".

Another new trend in pubs is the host calling for stealth...then bringing heavy armor but still acting like he's in a suit and pretty much immediately loving everything up. Like, I'm cool with "try to stealth, but bring the big guns 'cause we'll probably screw up!" but don't call for full stealth unless you mean it. <:mad:>

Though part of the problem is that visibility is bugged, but nobody understands how it's bugged, because it's been a slowly spread rumor. The reality is that you've always been detected more slowly at low visibility, but the bug is that you're also detected from farther away at low vis than at high vis. Some people think this means that the suit is completely useless for stealth, so they take Iron Man armor and get caught the instant a guard sees them, because they walk straight into the bank offices or whatever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 24, 2013

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Thump! posted:

Bad news: you can't control your AI teammates. Good news: I think the 30-something levels we just gave you may help that. Welcome to the goonsquad!

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I think Equilibrium, Basic (MM Tier 3) is bugged when combined with the weapon swap tier bonuses from Ghost. It seems like I'm pulling my pistol out about the same speed as without either bonus, but then when I whip out my primary it's lightning-fast.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Insert name here posted:

By "taking shots at that kind of range" you mean past 1 meter? Because that's currently where the damage fall-off of the Saiga starts right now, and they're changing it to 8 meters next patch.

No, I mean cranking off rounds at 15-20 meters which is a bad habit that pre-nerf shotguns taught everybody. I use the saiga out to about 5 meters. Beyond that I use my pistol or SMG.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 24, 2013

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Gonna agree with Vatek here, I've been maining the Seinfeld since I was able to purchase the thing, and honestly, the nerf only affected my playstyle in that I can't kill things across the street in one shot anymore, unless of course Overkill's procced then all bets are off and everything dies.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Or something really dumb and involving dual sentries.

Two sentries with shields are extremely cute.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Jamfrost posted:

Two sentries with shields are extremely cute.

Two sentries with shields shooting two shields is the cutest. They think they're helping :3:

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Like others have said too, I use the reinfeld all the time. It works perfectly okay, and once I got overkill even better. Sure, it takes 2 shots to kill a tan across the street, but once overkill kicks in that changes back to one shotting. For secondary, I usually bring my Korbus 90 with a long barrel and firebreather and it's crazy accurate and very powerful. Having the SMG reload perk is especially nice for this, as well. Basically anything under 15m is reinfeld territory, outside of that is korbus territory. And I have little to no problems being a murdermachine that way. And on top of that, if I bring an AR primary which really only happens on watchdogs day one or a saw, I can bring my loco as backup for close quarters, and i have no problems killing things 10m away. In fact I derive great pleasure from pumping shell after shell into a line of guys and watching someone drop with every shot. Yeah, the first patch nerfed it into the ground, but the last patch fixed that for the most part. When the next patch drops, there is going to be little excuse not to use it as a shotgun specced enforcer.

I'll admit, having the shotgun perks is pretty invaluable to using shotguns and I can imagine them not being so hot without them, especially with overkill being a real gamechanger for them, but they're definitely still plenty strong and usable.

It's all about playing to your strengths and diversifying your loadout.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sentries should keep nearby civilians down without having to tie them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

John Murdoch posted:

Though part of the problem is that visibility is bugged, but nobody understands how it's bugged, because it's been a slowly spread rumor. The reality is that you've always been detected more slowly at low visibility, but the bug is that you're also detected from farther away at low vis than at high vis. Some people think this means that the suit is completely useless for stealth, so they take Iron Man armor and get caught the instant a guard sees them, because they walk straight into the bank offices or whatever.

Well to be fair, once you go into mask mode, it doesn't really matter how fast enemies can "see" you as long as you're quick on the draw. In mask mode, the only limit is how fast your reaction time is, so you could technically just wear your heaviest armor since you're going to be crouching around and popping guards in the head with silenced weapons before they can shoot or call it in.

You couldn't really get away with it on a bank job (or Night Club) when you have to account for civilians and cameras, but for Framing Frame or Big Oil day 2 I think heavy armor is fine.

• Locked thread