Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was the librarian for my Commodore 64 club. Spent every Saturday loading-up 15 long-boxes filled with 5 1/4" diskettes (actually quite heavy) into my car and driving to the local college where I'd wait at the mercy of whatever security guard was working that day. In South Dakota, this sometimes meant doing this in sub-zero degree weather.

I created a video for AP English using one of the Captain Power animated videos mixed with audio from Skinny Puppy and Jimi Hendrix.

I refused to use Macs in my Journalism class. The school had bought a whole roomful of the things new and I flat-out refused to use them because...well I can't really remember. Somehow ended up writing for the school newspaper and wrote Hunter Thompson rip-off columns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I skipped my girlfriend of eight year's capstone performance (that she dedicated to me) because my World of Warcraft guild was raiding. She left me a few months later after I failed out of school.

I'm better now, I promise.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

The_Doc posted:

I'm doing that myself, now that I have the money (and a job). Do you collect the originals, reprints or both? Also Panic was awesome, but not as good as Mad.

Just the reprints from the 90s and no post trend stuff. The more recent hard cover reprints are really expensive compared to those annuals and if you just want to read the stories, I'd recommend the annuals.

The hardcover Mad reprints from DC are fantastic, though. I think the fourth one is out now and together they collect Kurtzman's comic book Mad really well.

Sorry for the derail!

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
From the ages of 5 to 18, I loving loved fedoras and gleefully awaited the day I could wear one and not look like an rear end... and then all the greasy neckbeards ruin it forever :shepicide:

I unironically enjoy cons such as PAX and Emerald City Comicon. I cosplayed the dude from Hotline Miami at this year's PAX. I'm almost 21.

Also, I plan to get the receiver of my next AR15 engraved with the 89 forever symbol from Tron Legacy because I'm that big of a fuckin' nerd:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

From the ages of 5 to 18, I loving loved fedoras and gleefully awaited the day I could wear one and not look like an rear end... and then all the greasy neckbeards ruin it forever :shepicide:

Sometimes I have to work outside for extended periods of time. I wear suits to work. Personally I think wearing a fedora looks less silly than wearing an umbrella hat.

But when I see people wearing one with casual clothing? Yeah, I make fun of those loving hipsters, you better believe it.

e: Well considering the thread title it's probably come up before. I stand by my argument that the hat has a time and a place. :colbert:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 20, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like this isn't the first time you've said the thing about fedoras

The_Doc
Feb 18, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Just the reprints from the 90s and no post trend stuff. The more recent hard cover reprints are really expensive compared to those annuals and if you just want to read the stories, I'd recommend the annuals.

The hardcover Mad reprints from DC are fantastic, though. I think the fourth one is out now and together they collect Kurtzman's comic book Mad really well.

Sorry for the derail!

Pretty sure this derail is in the spirit of the thread though. Really need to check out DC's Mad hardbacks. I'm sure they'll compliment the paperbacks quite nicely.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

thehumandignity posted:

Sometimes I have to work outside for extended periods of time. I wear suits to work. Personally I think wearing a fedora looks less silly than wearing an umbrella hat.

But when I see people wearing one with casual clothing? Yeah, I make fun of those loving hipsters, you better believe it.

e: Well considering the thread title it's probably come up before. I stand by my argument that the hat has a time and a place. :colbert:

I sometimes think this same thing. Back in high school I got a fedora from an old school hatter. I only ever wore it with my suit and think it looked quite sharp. While I haven't worn it in years, I feel sad that the look has been co-opted by neckbeards in stained My Little Pony shirts.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
I was waaaayyyy too into WH40K when I was a teen.
I started my school's gaming club which mean there was a embarrassing dorky picture of me and some of the members in the main entrance area of the school next to pictures of the footie team,tennis team, cricket team etc.

I spent all my money from every birthday on Warhammer every year.
I spent the whole of my summer holiday when I was 15 playing 40k matchs that where tied into the return to Armageddon campaign. During this time all my normal friends were trying drink and sex for the first time.
I spent my first real wage on starting a new army (Tau)

I kept all this this secret from most friends and the one who were into it/knew about it kept it quite for me.

To be honest I was lucky I wasn't molested some of those older guys were really creepy and me and my mate would just go to their odd flat/houses to play.

Luckily now I only take part in the odd Blood Bowl game nowadays...

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
In 1989, I was one of the people who rang the BBC switchboard to rant and rave when Doctor Who was cancelled. I was 13.

When I was 16, I cried because my favourite computer magazine (Your Sinclair) ended. I still get a lump in my throat when I read that last issue.

In November, my partner and I will have been together for 20 years. We are combining our anniversary with the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who for a joint celebration.

When we got married (2 years ago) I wore a ZX Spectrum T-shirt and a hawaiian shirt. Instead of any kind of celebrations, we went to see Stewart Lee at the Edinburgh Fringe.

I collect big box PC games, Doctor Who books, DVDs, and merchandise, Sinclair Spectrum games, computers and related paraphernalia, and other nerdy poo poo.

I'm not ashamed of who I am, and I hope I never will be.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You've had plenty of time to get used to it.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Xythe posted:

Edit: OH, and I played Furcadia before I was really aware what it was. As far as I knew it was basically a neat interactive chatroom where you could code your own little games, and that's pretty rad! I stopped playing the first time someone tried to cyber with me, so I'm only oblivious about 95% of the time.

It's genuinely a shame that Furcadia is mostly composed of weirdos. An online game with its own level creator, pixel art utility and proper scripting language would be loving awesome if it weren't mostly used to create bizarre pixellated sex fantasies, and would be a good way for young people to learn coding. I had a great time as a teenager making rollercoasters and pillow forts and puzzles with my friend, helping each other debug code and draw props. It was like a proto-Gmod, but way easier to use because it was in 2D. To be honest if there was a game pretty much exactly like that but with a better playerbase, I'd be on it right now.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
I own a pair of goggles made out of machined aluminium. I used them as a headband back when I was a disgusting piece of poo poo who let his hair grow really long.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
This thread has made me sympathize somewhat with the seemingly arbitrary nerd hate that the Alpha-Betas display in Revenge of the Nerds. Maybe Ogre was right...

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I was the 9th best Dance Dance Revolution player in my country. To this day I can still bust out some sweet moves on a dance machine. AAA Max 300 expert level? Yeah okay no problem.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I have written fanfiction.
In earnest.
Recently.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dawncloack posted:

In my defence, I've never played a mmorpg.

Man, my one saving grace was that I quit MUDs, cold turkey, after my first year of college. Those things cost more than one of my classmates their academic career, no poo poo. It's been twenty years and I have not touched any form of MMORPG since then. Wait, no, that's only about 99.7% true, I've briefly played Kingdom of Loathing.

Rahns
Feb 15, 2008
My ass belongs to peo

VelociBacon posted:

If I order pizza for myself and noone else is home in the apartment I turn on some extra lights in the other rooms and maybe some music so it seems like I'm not buying pizza for myself. I then eat in shame.

Edit: to clarify, I do that poo poo when the delivery driver comes to the door. Then I turn off all that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbj8BBsWSA

First thing that popped into my head.

When Grand Theft Auto 4 came out I got angry when I handed my buddy the controller and he started to put a cheat in, before he finished it I tore the thing out of his hands. All because I didn't want my imaginary stats to be reset to zero.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

quote:

VelociBacon posted:
If I order pizza for myself and noone else is home in the apartment I turn on some extra lights in the other rooms and maybe some music so it seems like I'm not buying pizza for myself. I then eat in shame.

poo poo I do this as well

Somehow in my head a guy tired from work wanting to eat a big rear end pizza and enjoy a blu-ray or two on his own needs justifying to a random pizza guy who wouldn't give a poo poo....

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2013

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

drat, I don't feel the least bit ashamed of ordering a pizza some weekday afternoons and answering the door in my dressing robe with a beer in hand. :scotland:

My sperg confession is I have this (the same one as him, not a picture of him) tattoo:

But it's a generic tribal tattoo as far as anyone I meet is concerned.

I felt a higher sense of accomplishment being drafted as part of the UK team for Quake 3 Clanbase tournaments than graduating from University.

I spent a few months pretending to be a woman in World of Warcraft (vanilla, when it was good) because the creeps in my guild gave me free gold, enchantments, assistance on quests and what have you.

razamataza fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 23, 2013

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

Mulefisk posted:

I was the 9th best Dance Dance Revolution player in my country. To this day I can still bust out some sweet moves on a dance machine. AAA Max 300 expert level? Yeah okay no problem.

What was your handle? I was pretty "into the community" and freestyled at a few events.

I used to get real excited about meeting people that I knew from a message board (DDR Freak) in real life. Goddammit.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

razamataza posted:

World of Warcraft (vanilla, when it was good)
You're the worst kind of person.

In my first college writing class, the final paper couldn't hurt your grade so I wrote probably the worst script for an episode of WWE Monday Night Raw that anyone could ever imagine.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Wojtek posted:

Oh I forgot WoW looks much better like this:

But if you had the proper mods installed it would be much more compact and cleaner :smug:

razamataza fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 23, 2013

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

razamataza posted:

drat, I don't feel the least bit ashamed of ordering a pizza some weekday afternoons and answering the door in my dressing robe with a beer in hand. :scotland:
If you're going to roll that pizza up and gently caress it, yeah, maybe some degree of shame is warranted. Otherwise? Not so much.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

John Big Booty posted:

If you're going to roll that pizza up and gently caress it, yeah, maybe some degree of shame is warranted. Otherwise? Not so much.

Well I didn't gently caress it but I thought it tasted pretty loving amazing. Double cheese pepperoni pineapple A YEEEA YEAH.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Once I watched an anime.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

razamataza posted:

Well I didn't gently caress it but I thought it tasted pretty loving amazing. Double cheese pepperoni pineapple A YEEEA YEAH.
Pizza-loving is one thing, but pineapple is a crime against nature.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

razamataza posted:

But if you had the proper mods installed it would be much more compact and cleaner :smug:
BC wasn't the pinnacle of WoW either :colbert:

Sperg confession: still playing WoW, but it's the best it's ever been.

super_douche
Feb 19, 2009

I spent the weekend with God. He stayed in the guest bedroom of my plantation in Costa Rica
In highschool i played football and track and was a fairly popular jock but my first year of college was a different story. Some of my friends and i moved out on our own and i became obsessed with pokemon and getting the strongest most bad rear end pokemon around, (trust me, i know how lame that sounds) so i'd play all the time. My roommates would throw parties and invite girls over and i would just sit in the living room level grinding my pokemon while everyone drank and had a good time level grinding our guests. I wish i could say my tenacity for the game paid off but no i just looked like a tool for the better part of a year.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Wojtek posted:

In my first college writing class, the final paper couldn't hurt your grade so I wrote probably the worst script for an episode of WWE Monday Night Raw that anyone could ever imagine.

Vanilla was the best in terms of raw talent required. :colbert:

For my first college english class, the professor asked for a writing sample. I proceeded to dole out from memory the exact strategy for warlock-tanking leotheras, complete with raid positioning, composition and everything. She marked half of it wrong because she didn't know what "warlock" or "to flask" meant, etc. Once I explained, she gave me the proper credit. To be fair, she was one of those burned out hippie english professors with long skirt and birkenstocks who was incredibly racist to the people who didn't speak english as a native language in the class.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

CheeseFactory posted:

I basically lost a relationship over Rome: Total War. I completed the game as every faction, twice! I'm not sure how many hundreds of hours that would of been. No regrets.

On my first date with my current girlfriend I told her all about Mech Warrior Online and about the Word of Lowtax. No loving idea on how I managed a second date.

Oh poo poo Cheese, gonna go gossip to -the clan- now!

I'm very particular about the usage of the word "glass" in reference to a vessel made of glass, the word "cup" as a generic for plastics or unknowns and "mug" for that which has a handle (regardless of material). That's pretty spergy right?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

super_douche posted:

In highschool i played football and track and was a fairly popular jock but my first year of college was a different story. Some of my friends and i moved out on our own and i became obsessed with pokemon and getting the strongest most bad rear end pokemon around, (trust me, i know how lame that sounds) so i'd play all the time. My roommates would throw parties and invite girls over and i would just sit in the living room level grinding my pokemon while everyone drank and had a good time level grinding our guests. I wish i could say my tenacity for the game paid off but no i just looked like a tool for the better part of a year.

I never went to a single party during college, instead I played Paradox games all day.

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.

Oldstench posted:

When I was 9 or 10 and finished DragonLance Legends, I cried when Raistlin died. :frogc00l:

I also LARPed at that time.

I got better.

e:

If the answer to "are you Buzz Osborne?" is "no", just cut it off.

It's from...33 pages back but as we are in the sperg thread I hope it won't be a problem.

Spoilers son, really.

Edit:
I added the spoiler tag, just so its clear :) Also for content: I just used a website to make a graph to show my friends that I was out of teabags

Digihazard fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 24, 2013

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
When I was a young Star Wars nerd, my parents refused to buy me one of those flicky toy lightsabers (my mum thought it was boyish or whatever)so I took the big wooden stick we used to prop our sliding door closed and painted it to look like a blue lightsaber. I don't know how I didn't break anything swinging it around the house.

I also bought a set of face paints and painted myself up like Darth Maul, as well as putting on my black coat and black jeans, finishing the whole classy ensemble with my mum's black boots.

In year 7 I suddenly developed a massive obsession with the Phantom of the Opera, no idea how it came about. Back in the day the IMDB message board for the 2004 movie was one of the most active on the whole website, and I was one of its most involved members. I used to MSN message my friends from the board for hours each day, pretending to my parents that they were friends from school. Yes, I wrote fan fiction. Yes, I drew a little Phantom on cardboard, laminated him and carried him around absolutely everywhere, and I loved to explain where it was from. Yes my mum got sick of it and shredded it. Yes I cried myself to sleep that night.

edit: Oh God I totally forgot that when I went on a family trip to the Philippines I dragged my cousins to an internet cafe for the express purpose of making a 'woo I'm on holiday hi guys' post on the forum. They all just stood around my computer watching. They must have been so confused and bored. I also made them stay while I dicked around playing games for a bit :doh:

Nowadays I mostly keep my interests to myself, watching gaming videos and such on Youtube well into the night. Though I do wish I had more real life friends that play video games and like Star Wars and stuff :smith: But I do play MW3 co-op with my boyfriend occasionally, which is lovely.

Aristophanes fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 24, 2013

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

Digihazard posted:

I just used a website to make a graph to show my friends that I was out of teabags

Okay, I haven't posted in this thread because, well, I have some nerdy moments, but nothing that compares.
But I have a question for Digihazard:

How? Why? I... I just don't get it. I mean, I guess you wanted to point out that you are spergy about it and did something really nerdy instead of just saying "I'm out of teabags", but how does one make that into a graph?

Like, did you graph your daily tea usage versus your teabag supply until termination in 0? Or, like a bar chart with nothing on it, thus showing the lack of teabags? I can't wrap my head around this one.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

When I was a freshman in high school (I think like 04), living in rural Utah I started hanging with the "bad crowd" (anyone not Mormon) but pretty soon found my way out of that stuff. I wasn't really getting into the real bad crowd, I still had the DARE mentality that all drugs = bad (the drugs would be later but that's beside the point). In the mean time I bought a piece of poo poo computer from my high school for $20, but it didn't have an operating system. Of course I know all this poo poo now but I didn't know what the gently caress back then. Finding out that Windows would cost me too much with me working 20 hours at minimum wage, I looked around the Internet for alternatives hearing about this "linux" thing.

In my sophomore year of high school, things got real lovely real quick. You see, my dad just so happened to be the principal and he and my mother were going through a mid life crisis that apparently I needed to be in the middle of. Not only were the public eye on us, without me really going to church anymore (I grew up baptized in the church but lost my faith pretty quick when I learned about the church's doctrine), all kinds of nasty rumors and poo poo were going around about me and my family. Not to mention I had two older sisters, so for everyone who wanted to give either my dad or my sisters poo poo but were too much of a pussy they'd take it out on me. I'd spend most of my sophomore year keeping to myself, basically regressing socially and loving around with my stupid linux computer enough to know more than I should about running a stupid loving linux computer.

By the end of that year my parents decided to stick around but we moved to a new town to get away from all the bullshit. At this point I could have bucked up and use my fresh start to actually enjoy myself but I didn't. In fact I probably got worse and stayed inside more often loving around on stupid computers. So for the last two years of high school instead of partying, having fun, or even having a friend, I'd stay alone in my stupid room. Every time I think back to those two years where girls would come up and ask if I was going to party with them and I'd tell them I was busy (absolutely not busy), it's like I may as well punch myself in the dick.

I've gotten better over the years. I'm not Mr Social Butterfly but I take social cues and jokes better now and can carry a conversation. I hate to say that for four years though I was probably King Sperg of my tri county area.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

I spent a few years in rural Utah at a tiny school and also hung out with the few non-Mormons - and as a Mormon with dozens of cousins going to surrounding schools in the area, I got a bad name quickly as well that led to me not being invited to do anything except cut class and go to the local diner and drink coffee and eat cheese fries. I think it was my dumb way of rebelling or something.

I would skip seminary every day too, and would instead spend a couple hours in the library computer lab trying to be cool on the internet. Devoted thousands of hours to a MUD, made up fake back stories to tell girls about who I was, came up with 'edgy' e-mail addresses that included the word 'bi' (because girls love gay guys, right, but I wanted them to know that I was also available for them). I was also a virgin and pretty clueless (I was 14/15 at the time).

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Solaron posted:

I would skip seminary every day too, and would instead spend a couple hours in the library computer lab trying to be cool on the internet.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that I'd cut seminary to hide behind it (the building) and play my DS. Oh and a seminary acquaintance and I went to his back yard, pissed on and then burned a Bible. We were so cool. :cry:

O Rapture
Feb 28, 2007
I'll just leave this here then.

Old nerd turns 40. :toot: Nice to be accepted, though. My staff likes me. :unsmith:

Edit: Fixed table-breaking image.

O Rapture fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

O Rapture posted:

I'll just leave this here then.

Old nerd turns 40. :toot: Nice to be accepted, though. My staff likes me. :unsmith:

Edit: Fixed table-breaking image.

Unless you told them to do this, it is the opposite of spergy, it is other people thinking you are cool and knowing you just happen to be a nerd. :toot:

• Locked thread