Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I feel like I missed something - where is Floyd's girlfriend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

While I completely agree with you that Rockstar curated an amazing lineup with the soundtrack, it will never please everybody. That's just how it goes with something as subjective as taste in music.

My most listened to station would be Vinewood Boulevard Radio. I was blown away when Metz came on. I've seen them open for dozens of shows in Toronto over the last few years and am really happy to see them get this kind of exposure. They are truly great guys and really deserve this!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dragonatrix posted:

Trevor's special ability is ridiculous. We all know it works for surviving giant jumps if only thanks to the Mythbusters-esque video posted in the old thread. I just tried it on an oncoming train and took minimal damage... none of which came from the train itself, but from the bouncing after it knocked me out of the way. What other ludicrous things does it make you basically immune to?

Cougars. Not sure if you can trigger it underwater, but you can while your head is over the surface. Come, shark. Come to me. :unsmigghh:

Dragonatrix posted:

Also I'm irrationally disappointed that shooting the moon with a sniper rifle does nothing, even though it hasn't done a thing since like GTA3.

No poo poo. :(

E:

Vargs posted:

Apparently you can buy it online, but it has all the cool poo poo disabled. It's just a normal car, really. Shame you can't get that or the armored suit out in the open world.

The lack of post game toys is really sad.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 24, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I feel like I missed something - where is Floyd's girlfriend?
At a business conference because of her ~career~. Keep going.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like how almost every rooftop is reachable from street level in this game. I haven't tried it out in the small towns yet, but if you walk into almost any alleyway in Los santos, chances are you can find a ladder or fire escape that takes you to the rooftops.

Then you can snipe pedestrians with impunity as cops search fruitlessly for you until a chopper gets called in.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, the desert reminds me of so many California desert trips I've made. I can almost pick out most of what they're parodying.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Robawesome posted:

I just bought the regular edition and I still have an Elegy RH8 in my "special cars" list, though that certainly isn't a hot-rod.

That's a present for linking your Rockstar Social club account to your console.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
A) You buy a slip for your boats, you buy a boat, you can now spawn that boat anytime at the slip and destroy it a hundred times over.
B) You buy a hangar for you planes, you buy a plane, you can now spawn that plane anytime at the hangar and destroy it a hundred times over.
C) You buy a helipad for your helicopter, you buy a helicopter, you can now spawn that helicopter anytime at the helipad and destroy it a hundred times over.
D) You buy a garage for your cars, you buy a car, you now have to put that car always back in the garage or get it back from the impound when and if that works and even if it works the impound can only store two cars anyway and if the car gets destroyed it's destroyed for good and also some cars are more expensive than planes.

What the gently caress?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

TLDR: they somehow went deep and hard for the serious music nerds out there in this one, to a level that actually surprises me, considering they could have just gone way more obvious/overt with the music. I think it's the best GTA soundtrack ever.

Glad you reposted that, it was a good read. I'm not as familiar with the full list of songs but my feelings mostly mirrored yours based on what I've heard and seen so far.

They went pretty goddamn deep for the feelings they were looking for and even when I don't recognize the artist it's always interesting seeing how it fits into the playlist for each station. VC and SA had a finger on the scale seeing as they were working with eras that had already gone by and could pick from things that are already withstanding the test of time, or at least are perfectly recognizable as part of the area or part of the timeframe. GTA4 had a few missteps on entire stations (the eastern euro pop/rock station mostly) and went a bit on the nose for others.

I'm still absorbing the soundtrack but things like the expert house cuts, the excellent curation of Rebel Radio and the classic rock station that leans towards pop sheen and Pam Griers station are all instant classics that I haven't heard a track on yet that I don't like. I can't wait to find a collection of them all to listen to away from the game.

FlyLo FM seems like something I really want to hear on it's own, like the talk radio. Most of the time the electro/house stations do a better job of being ambient music than FlyLo. If GTA4 is anything to go by I will be spending a lot of time with this station and the talk whenever I settle into the "everything is done, lets just cruise" portion of the game.

Oh and they have Eddie Murphy's "Party all the time" so that's an automatic win card.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Two quick questions:

1) I'm all read up and ready to go with playing the stock market on the assassination missions (just finished the main story so I'm flush with cash), but I can't remember what was said about Merryweather stock since you get that e-mail from the CEO letting you know that he got Weston's shares at a low price and he's gonna make a bunch of money. Has anyone made money off this one, and if so, how long did it take for the stock to bounce back?

2) Does anyone have the GIF of Trevor tripping over the fence when he shows up at Franklin's aunt's house later in the game in a pre-mission cut scene? I know someone posted it in the last thread but I can't imagine being able to go back and find it. I think that's the part of the game that made me laugh the hardest.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh and they have Eddie Murphy's "Party all the time" so that's an automatic win card.

It's another great song to hear during a 4-star chase.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Speedball posted:

Man, the desert reminds me of so many California desert trips I've made. I can almost pick out most of what they're parodying.

It really is pretty nuts how spot on they were with the game environment. As a SoCal resident, it feels exactly like home. Especially impressive after just coming off Saints Row 4, which was a lot of fun, but Steelport felt absolutely nothing like an actual city.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Some more neat things:

You can kick the giant oranges from the stores you can sometimes see along roadsides. They roll around and can really, really wreck cars.

Ballas don't like it when you steal one of their purple lowriders, paint it green and take it back. They stared at me as I pulled into CJs old place and then one of them tried to jack me. I tried to escape, but everyone in the area pulled guns on me :stare:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

If anything, Trevor seems to be very sensitive to cougars. :rimshot:

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Anyone who ordered the Collectors Edition find the hotrod car that was supposed to come with it? I have all the other stuff, but I just can't find it in any of the garages.

When in your garage you should get a popup to press left on the d-pad for special vehicles. I had 3 there, the hotknife, something R8 and another I can't remember.

The Hotknife is the car you're looking for.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just did the submarine parts, not because I wanted to, but because once the collectathon is started that drat sonar goes of whenever I'm close to water, the whole harbor area in LS became an annoying beeping marathon. And then you can't get to most of those poo poo pieces without scuba gear and you only get the scuba gear when you use the loving dingy so you have to drive that piece of crap all around the loving island :cry:

On the plus side, I drove around in a police car for 10 minutes flipping people the bird, and maybe it was just coincidence, but no one picked a fight with me.

Still liking the new wanted system. I robbed an armored transport and hopped back in my car before police response was there so the arrow was still grey since they didn't see me getting into the car. Carefully drove with a bit of distance past them and was scot free.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is it possible to buy Franklin a new house? I want to get my boy out of the hood and away from his skeezy aunt.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

Is it possible to buy Franklin a new house? I want to get my boy out of the hood and away from his skeezy aunt.
Keep playing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" is in the game too.

Honestly, it just seems like the stations are always playing the same 2-3 songs 90% of the time. I don't know if it's just bad luck or what.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

-Dethstryk- posted:

Rockstar claims that will be an eventual thing for GTA Online.

When did they say this?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vargs posted:

It really is pretty nuts how spot on they were with the game environment. As a SoCal resident, it feels exactly like home. Especially impressive after just coming off Saints Row 4, which was a lot of fun, but Steelport felt absolutely nothing like an actual city.

Steelport was just terrible compared to Saint's Row 2 Stillwater, which did feel like a place people would actually live. I blame SR3's rushed development. THQ, burn in hell!

I want to say that painted landsculpture in the desert is based off of something in real life. I know large parts of Blaine County resemble Joshua Tree National Park (all it's missing is the cholla cactus) and the mountains resemble Big Bear areas.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Q_res posted:

Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" is in the game too.

Honestly, it just seems like the stations are always playing the same 2-3 songs 90% of the time. I don't know if it's just bad luck or what.

You have to take into account the time skips that occur in the game (death, mission requisites, etc.). They're on a schedule.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
When you buy the junkyard, do you need to collect the money in person like in Vice City or is it just added to your cash reserve once a week?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just delivered my last person to the cult and killed everyone there http://rsg.ms/19BZUjV :nws:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Speedball posted:

THQ, burn in hell!

They're probably doing that just now.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Speedball posted:

It's fun keeping track of the continual damage that happens to Floyd's condo as time passes. Trevor really cannot keep house, can he?

Unfortunately I have to spoiler tag my response, but if you've reached the Martin Madrazo missions, Patricia Madrazo develop Stockholm Syndrome and clean up Trevor's trailer had me cracking up.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Am I the only one who forgets I even park cars in garages and just grab whatevers on the road?

Nah, this is me too. I typically only keep very fast cars in the garages and retrieve them if I am having trouble falling behind or maneuvering in a chase mission or something.

Ever since Franklin got his house in the hills whenever I switch back to him he is just sitting around eating or ironing shirts. It's hilarious.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

First they cut Eazy-E's verse from Gangsta Gangsta on the radio, now it only plays half of Windowlicker before fading into another song and cuts out the best part. What the poo poo Rockstar :argh:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Oh wow make sure you explore the Altruist camp when you get the chance.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

tooooooo bad posted:

Oh wow make sure you explore the Altruist camp when you get the chance.

The music really makes it, I'm sad that it isn't on the soundtrack. That and Trevor's rampage music is absent from "The Score"

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Once I get in the cable car, how do I get it to close and move?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

i am not so sure posted:

Once I get in the cable car, how do I get it to close and move?

Cable car to Mt. Chiliad? I think you press right on the directional pad? You should have seen a tooltip when entering it. If you mean the Metro in Los Santos, it'll move on it's own.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

bzzt

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

First they cut Eazy-E's verse from Gangsta Gangsta on the radio, now it only plays half of Windowlicker before fading into another song and cuts out the best part. What the poo poo Rockstar :argh:

FlyLo also cuts away from Elevators by Outkast right before Andre 3000s last verse, which is one of my all-time favorite rap verses ever. Pretty disappointing.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Speedball posted:

Bummed there isn't something like the world's largest thermometer or dinosaur statues. But the feeling of being around Joshua Tree Park is pretty cool.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

substitute posted:

Bummed there isn't something like the world's largest thermometer or dinosaur statues. But the feeling of being around Joshua Tree Park is pretty cool.

I'm not familiar with the real landmark but isn't there a purple dinosaur somewhere

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"Huh. Three people just invested a combined 1.7 billion into our real estate company. That's weird. Oh well I sure hope nothing strange happens soon!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The whole soundtrack is full of best songs, but this is the best "best song":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufIPxnOra0

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dr. Abysmal posted:

In this case I don't think Trevor's endgame was to actually kill Floyd or maybe even Debra but he ended up having no choice. Judging by the way he acts as he exits the condo and his conversation with Wade later I think his plan was to rile Debra up enough to get her to dump Floyd, and get her to admit to cheating on him. Then Trevor would be all Floyd would have left and he'd become another one of his loyal flunkies like Ron and Wade. He wasn't bargaining on Debra grabbing a gun or Floyd grabbing a knife and he had to fight his way out.

I think you are right, but I also really think a big thing with Trevor is how the dude has massive abandonment/betrayal issues. When he goes Apeshit on Johnny K it's right after he realized Micheal has been alive for the past decade and never once tried to contact his "best friend" at all. When the "raspberry syrup" incident happens, Trevor didn't snap until he saw Floyd reach for the knife. When Debra pulled a gun, Trevor was more worried about finding out who Bob was and getting Debra to admit that she was cheating on Floyd, but Floyd still took Debra's side and it made him snap. The whole snapping off at Franklin for laughing at him when he tripped was him feeling betrayed by Franklin as well, and when Franklin actually apologized for it he didn't seem to know how to respond. Basically Trevor is a seriously hosed up man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You know, I buy Frank all these awesome clothes, be nice if he could loving dress himself

• Locked thread