Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I only have like 12 story missions yet and I haven't found any other heist guys except the ones the story forces on you. What have I done wrong? I've been doing stranger stuff which I thought would give them.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Just did the first heist on my new save. went with the cheap driver, the lifeinvader hacker who is awful, and packie as my crew doing it the smart way. Got every case inside the time limit, no one died and cleared 1.2 million in Michael. First time I played I only got 500k on him. Cheap crew members can be so worth it if you know how to use them.

When I did that I only used the lifeinvader hacker dude for the cheap option, while using Packie and another high cut character. I think Michael's take after was a little over a million. Honestly though, Packie cleared house on the cases so I'll probably keep using him for future heists. I think it's just a little safer to use the higher cost guys, even if it means the main character cut is a little worse.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It's so interesting to see how many people liked the radio stations.

The pop station felt really lousy this time around. Im guessing the costs of pop tracks are higher or something? Because out of everything that has happened in pop, 'good' 'bad' and otherwise between 2008 and 2013 (One in particular, that was at least on everyone's mind in one way or the other between 08-10 being absent from a POP radio station is a shock), this is what we get?
Outside of 'work', 'glamourous' (think about trevor rolling aorund the desert to this, or even through northern los santos) and 'with every heartbeat' i pretty much go silent, listen to see if anything decent is on world fm or cross my fingers for ambient tracks.
After 3 listens I heard everything the talk radio stations had to offer, and those are always so great.

Everything else I haven't given to fair a listen to, but just leaving the stations on results me turning between stations and sampling all the songs then giving up.
I can't speak for everyone but I'm not a music nerd so I just got left with a bunch of stale tracks and one on the pop station in particular that is already etched into my mind thanks to SR3.

I thought I'd hate trevor because I really dislike his juggalo friends voice actor, but every moment he is with any other character in the cast, even the guy on the radio at the airfield during courier missions, is just amazing.
Micheal on the otherhand, I quickly grew off of him, he feels way more two dimensional then I was expecting, and he's a grand theft auto protagonist, thats saying something.

I really hope they fix this car glitch, I love burning money on cool paints jobs for cars, but after spending half of my money early game on cars that just entirely dissapeared, I gave up.
They really ought to adopt Saints Row garage List idea. It works so much better.

Otherwise though, it takes the cake for me and makes up for whatever the main game of GTA4 was going for, tenfold.

And the random people you meet on map and SOME strangers and freaks missions are some of the most awesome things in game.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Sankis posted:

I only have like 12 story missions yet and I haven't found any other heist guys except the ones the story forces on you. What have I done wrong? I've been doing stranger stuff which I thought would give them.

They're from random events. The ones that show up as blue/red dots on your map when you're out in the world.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I just managed to ram a car so hard a wheel came off completely, without blowing it up :stare:

It was pretty funny watching the guy try to drive away on 3 wheels.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

serewit posted:

shoot the left-handed dude with a beard that's smoking

Thanks. :)

Trevor's little speech at the end was nice but the whole mission just seemed like a desperate attempt to make the game more "mature".

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 25, 2013

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

My record so far is driving a car with only two wheels left.

The wheels seem to fly off my own car more often then other peoples.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shmee posted:

I've been impressed with how few glitches I've had in this really, for an unpatched game.

After one mission I drove my motorbike into the checkpoint and it stopped but nothing happened, and I couldn't get off of it, but pausing and unpausing the game resolved it and the mission continued.
Once Trevor died once when I jumped into water next to a submarine for no reason.. as in he landed in the water OK and as I started to swim: WASTED.
I think I can only use R1 for the handbrake for some reason but that is more likely due to the X and O buttons being swapped on an Asian PS3, and my game being from the UK. That does confuse things sometimes. Or I could just be dumb.
I initially had no pop in but as the game progresses I am getting it a bit. Nothing too noticeable though.

Far better than my experiences with most things like Fallout 3 or RDR. Though many of the glitches in RDR were awesome, it was just the oh hey you've fallen into the ground better reload bug which was crap.

Now I want flying people in GTA5 or horse women.

I had a hilarious bug happen when I did a quick save on top of the helipad at Trevor's runway and loaded up the game later.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

SectumSempra posted:

It's so interesting to see how many people liked the radio stations.

The pop station felt really lousy this time around. Im guessing the costs of pop tracks are higher or something? Because out of everything that has happened in pop, 'good' 'bad' and otherwise between 2008 and 2013 (One in particular, that was at least on everyone's mind in one way or the other between 08-10 being absent from a POP radio station is a shock), this is what we get?
Outside of 'work', 'glamourous' (think about trevor rolling aorund the desert to this, or even through northern los santos) and 'with every heartbeat' i pretty much go silent, listen to see if anything decent is on world fm or cross my fingers for ambient tracks.
After 3 listens I heard everything the talk radio stations had to offer, and those are always so great.

I'm not sure how it works either but I could see Britney and Rihanna taking up a big chunk of that pop budget.

I'm kinda underwhelmed by the music this time around, to be honest. The DJs are great though (tagged just in case someone wants to be surprised by the DJs, I dunno) Bootsy Collins, Kenny Loggins, Pam Grier! :swoon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wow. Doing the Strangers And Freaks mission at Trevor's trailer where his mom comes back from being in jail and reduces him to a sniveling child :stare:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BlueDestiny posted:

I just managed to ram a car so hard a wheel came off completely, without blowing it up :stare:

It was pretty funny watching the guy try to drive away on 3 wheels.

I managed to knock a wheel off and the dude got out of his car and ran away. I know that the characters can get thrown out of a vehicle but I got in a head on collision with someone else and they went flying out of their car, was pretty good. Beat the main mission to night, didn't do much side stuff I don't think so there is still a lot of fun ahead of me I think. Really wish the garages worked better.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SectumSempra posted:

Everything else I haven't given to fair a listen to, but just leaving the stations on results me turning between stations and sampling all the songs then giving up.
I can't speak for everyone but I'm not a music nerd so I just got left with a bunch of stale tracks and one on the pop station in particular that is already etched into my mind thanks to SR3.

Pretty much, there's only like a bare handful of songs I really like on the radio in V. Don't like anything off the rap stations, there's like 1-2 on the pop station, maybe a couple between the country and metal/alt stations, the funk station's got 1-2 and then maybe a couple off the sort of pop but more ambient station.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
The problem is they never set it up so that you could stream your own music into a radio station, old PC GTA style. Once you realize the radio sucks and try to stream your own music it just drowns out all the dialogue instead of quieting the music like how the actual radio stations function.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I quite like the radio stations, my only complaint is that it feels like the news segments and commercials fire way too often. Very rarely do you get two songs in a row, it's usually song -> commercials -> WEASEL NEWS -> song. If it's intended as a joke about how music is the last thing you tend to hear on the radio then cool, but it'd be nice to hear a bit more music and a bit less talk.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Someguy posted:

The problem is they never set it up so that you could stream your own music into a radio station, old PC GTA style. Once you realize the radio sucks and try to stream your own music it just drowns out all the dialogue instead of quieting the music like how the actual radio stations function.

I think the custom radio station feature in GTAIV and Episodes from Liberty City did do this and even let you put the ads and Weazel News breaks in-between songs. I do hope the PC version has this feature again.

webmeister posted:

I quite like the radio stations, my only complaint is that it feels like the news segments and commercials fire way too often. Very rarely do you get two songs in a row, it's usually song -> commercials -> WEASEL NEWS -> song. If it's intended as a joke about how music is the last thing you tend to hear on the radio then cool, but it'd be nice to hear a bit more music and a bit less talk.

Yeah it does go to commercial quickly, but at least on the Weazel News bits, they seem to only play after a mission and then disappear. I remember getting out of a car during the start of one and when I got back in a few seconds later, it was back to music.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It wouldn't surprise me if custom radio stations as a feature got cut from current-gen console versions because of hardware limitations. We've already seen what happens to a 360 that tries to access both discs from the same HDD, so adding custom music to that would probably be a nightmare.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

webmeister posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if custom radio stations as a feature got cut from current-gen console versions because of hardware limitations. We've already seen what happens to a 360 that tries to access both discs from the same HDD, so adding custom music to that would probably be a nightmare.

Or they just want you to use the system music player to avoid copyright problems.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

lady blue shanghai posted:

I'm not sure how it works either but I could see Britney and Rihanna taking up a big chunk of that pop budget.

I'm kinda underwhelmed by the music this time around, to be honest. The DJs are great though (tagged just in case someone wants to be surprised by the DJs, I dunno) Bootsy Collins, Kenny Loggins, Pam Grier! :swoon:

If the songs were more recent I'd argue that, but we are already looking at the largest budget in a game so far, I kinda wish they could squeeze out a few more recent tracks, or set up custom soundtracks.
For such a massive game, you hear all the music your station of choice has about 10 missions in.

Or at the very minimum go the Saints Row Route and let us make a mix tape of the songs we actually do like.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought people said there was a barber in the sandy shores desert area with more poo poo for Franklin, I went to the one near Trevor's spot and it was the same stuff as every other...

What gives?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Rirse posted:

Yeah it does go to commercial quickly, but at least on the Weazel News bits, they seem to only play after a mission and then disappear. I remember getting out of a car during the start of one and when I got back in a few seconds later, it was back to music.

Not necessarily, if you spend a couple of hours loving around in free-roam you'll hear Weazel News breaks all the time. It seems like there's a bunch of random non-mission-related news there though it repeats a bit - I've heard a news story about the an award for the World's Worst Painting or something a few times now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

I thought people said there was a barber in the sandy shores desert area with more poo poo for Franklin, I went to the one near Trevor's spot and it was the same stuff as every other...

What gives?
I was just about to ask a similar question:

Are there really only 4 hairstyles and 3 beard styles available to Trevor in the entire game world? I'm at the barber shop in Paleto Bay, one I've never been to before, hoping to try out some new hair on Trevor, but it's just the same styles as everywhere else :smith:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Finished the Altruist quest chain. That was certainly a thing. :eek:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Feenix posted:

What gives?

That's just another Herr Kutz, you wanna find a Bob Mulet. I think the barber location nearest Michael's house is one. They only have a a few more options per character though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn't feel so bad through the torture scene as I did when I had to bust those joyriding illegal mariachis in the desert. Those dudes were just trying to have a good time! I loved that the passenger was sitting on the sit and pumping his hands in the air as his buddy hit those sand dunes. Then I tried to save the car they were in with the the sombrero and two guitars, bit I arbitrarily got two stars and the cops wrecked my car and killed me before I could save it. poo poo!

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
I just had a great Trevor moment. After dropping off a bounty at Maude's I noticed there was a triathlon nearby so I decided to go do it, ended up driving through a bunch of tables under the tents, some guy tries to fight me so I kick the poo poo out of him and immediately register to compete. I assume the registration guy always says this, but he just goes, "Uhh....hi."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Hawk and Little went down 25 cents which amounted to 11%. Seems like it's not on the up and up (at least not yet). I think I'll stick with it because it's got to go up eventually. I hope.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

ruddiger posted:

I didn't feel so bad through the torture scene as I did when I had to bust those joyriding illegal mariachis in the desert. Those dudes were just trying to have a good time! I loved that the passenger was sitting on the sit and pumping his hands in the air as his buddy hit those sand dunes. Then I tried to save the car they were in with the the sombrero and two guitars, bit I arbitrarily got two stars and the cops wrecked my car and killed me before I could save it. poo poo!

I've seen that same car (With Mariachi band members hanging around nearby) parked outside one of the roadside restaurants out in the countryside before. I'm not sure if it's a location specific thing, but the one in the mission wasn't the only one you'll ever see.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

Cerebulon posted:

I've seen that same car (With Mariachi band members hanging around nearby) parked outside one of the roadside restaurants out in the countryside before. I'm not sure if it's a location specific thing, but the one in the mission wasn't the only one you'll ever see.

Oh thank god, I tried to drive it back to the city and totally crashed it. It's probably one of the coolest cars I've seen yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well poo poo, when Trevor meets Mary Ann is much better than when Franklin meets her :swoon:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The pop station feels like a pop station I might hear in real life, here in Britain. I mean, that Britney track isn't the freshest, but the station also has Wham!, Hall and Oates and Pet Shop Boys so I don't see being contemporaneous as the primary thing. Like people have said though, the radio selection is probably one of the most outright subjective things in the whole game. I personally really like the quality variation continued over from IV... I know people love Vice City's - I do too! - but even in-game there were jokes about lack of differentiation in '80s pop ("It's not pop, it's NEW WAVE!!!", "Rock is dead and pop is iiiin! Why don't you discover the science of music yourself at Synth and Son, the home of keyboards? Listen. (stock cymbal sound) I did that just by pressing a button!" I'm not sure how proud I am of myself for remembering these throwaway gags from a 2002 video game).

Also I'll defend anything with The Rhythm of the Night, from Beau travail to this.

Avoided a bit of a kafuffle last night. Wanted to see if BAWSAQ had gotten anywhere but noticed I wasn't signed in to Xbox Live. I attempt to do so, but it starts asking me security stuff I don't really have the access to. Then it wouldn't let me back in! Thankfully removing the wireless thingy and disabling the Internet for it let me back in to my save. I guess I won't be using the highly functional online ties for a bit then!

Video games used to be so simple...

EDIT:

ruddiger posted:

This car is the only thing I have saved in any of my garages currently :). Also, while the minutemen are possibly the biggest strawmen I've encountered all game so far, the missions with them probably make better points than some of the more... let's say, eager segments. Especially since (I'm 50-60% through and have finished this line) they're some of the few people who reliably pay you, making the later scene with the guy you apprehended that little more poignant.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 25, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I just did the Lester Bus mission. Then I dumped all my money for each character into Vapid. How many times should I sleep?

[Ed] slept twice, 0% change. Does the activity in the market happen after hearing about it in the news or something?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Avoided a bit of a kafuffle last night. Wanted to see if BAWSAQ had gotten anywhere but noticed I wasn't signed in to Xbox Live. I attempt to do so, but it starts asking me security stuff I don't really have the access to. Then it wouldn't let me back in! Thankfully removing the wireless thingy and disabling the Internet for it let me back in to my save. I guess I won't be using the highly functional online ties for a bit then!

Video games used to be so simple...

You should probably fix that before it gets worse. It's a huge hassle to recover an account if you have to get a new Xbox, and you don't know the password/security questions, or have lost access to the email. Hell you might want to get a Xbone some day and you will need your login details as well.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything with the phone. When you get emails, you hit X (PS3) to reply and that's the only way to reply, right? All of my emails have the red reply arrow at the bottom, but I can only reply to certain ones. For example I can reply to Brad and Ron but not to Maude - even though her email seems like she wants a reply. :confused: Why is the reply arrow there if I can't reply? Or am I doing something wrong?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything with the phone. When you get emails, you hit X (PS3) to reply and that's the only way to reply, right? All of my emails have the red reply arrow at the bottom, but I can only reply to certain ones. For example I can reply to Brad and Ron but not to Maude - even though her email seems like she wants a reply. :confused: Why is the reply arrow there if I can't reply? Or am I doing something wrong?

Not just that but it says "pick a reply" but I can't actually choose between tones of reply, like in 4 you could choose a negative or a positive tone for your reply. I've tried all the buttons I could think of, nothing changes the reply text.

I think it just depends on whether they wrote in an actual email conversation, and some emails won't result in one so no replying.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Baron FU posted:

You should probably fix that before it gets worse. It's a huge hassle to recover an account if you have to get a new Xbox, and you don't know the password/security questions, or have lost access to the email. Hell you might want to get a Xbone some day and you will need your login details as well.

I'm not sure how much more gaming I have left in me, but you're right. It's just that it was 11pm last night and I wanted to go to bed. It's actually my brother's account and he just left for uni so I've texted him asking for a password. I have an account too and I could probably get the stuff for that quick like (provided a "Microsoft account" is for both Hotmail and Xbox?), but I've been playing GTA via my brother's account. Since I've saved everything related to it onto a memory stick, can I just switch over to using my own profile? Xbox is confusing.

EDIT: ^ From what I gather, you can't "choose" a reply despite that being implied, just what's there :(. I quite liked how Niko's "positive" replies to Roman's antics in IV were often just "You're an idiot.".

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The green arrow is the reply one.

It makes more sense on the 360 where the green A button is reply, and the red B button is to go back.

Biggums
Oct 7, 2012

Who could have Murdered this Terrorist?

Hatbox Ghost posted:

The green arrow is the reply one.

It makes more sense on the 360 where the green A button is reply, and the red B button is to go back.

I'm fairly certain the colors of the buttons change depending on console, so the Green (A) on Xbox turns Blue (X) on Ps3

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Only certain emails have scripted responses anyhow.
I.e. One choice of email to send and one response.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
My big hope for GTAO is that it's not like RDR's online where there aren't any NPCs anywhere. I want to get in a van with my friends and waste as many Ballas as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is probably a no brainer in this day and age, but will I be able to keep playing and complete side crap after I finish the main story?

• Locked thread