Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

lady blue shanghai posted:

I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything with the phone. When you get emails, you hit X (PS3) to reply and that's the only way to reply, right? All of my emails have the red reply arrow at the bottom, but I can only reply to certain ones. For example I can reply to Brad and Ron but not to Maude - even though her email seems like she wants a reply. :confused: Why is the reply arrow there if I can't reply? Or am I doing something wrong?

At least on Trevor's phone, the inbox will show you an <- arrow next to the message if you're able to reply to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

This is probably a no brainer in this day and age, but will I be able to keep playing and complete side crap after I finish the main story?

Yes, But. Ending spoiler You want to choose option C for the last mission, since the other 2 choices result in a main character dying. Leaving you unable to complete their missions.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished Barry's mission where you smoke the laced weed and start seeing aliens and have to kill them all with a minigun as Michael. I also did Trevor's evil clown version of that earlier on. Does Franklin have a different version as well?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just finished Barry's mission where you smoke the laced weed and start seeing aliens and have to kill them all with a minigun as Michael. I also did Trevor's evil clown version of that earlier on. Does Franklin have a different version as well?

Considerably different, yes.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Franklins version had me laughing for several minutes. It's by far the best one after you have done the others and seen their reaction.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I did one of those random missions that appear on your minimap. Some guy had his bike stolen. I recovered it. Later I got an email saying the guy sent me $100k worth of stock. It was nice because I did it as Franklin and he has the least amount of money of the three.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is it just me or do the gun running missions at the airstrip get annoyingly difficult once you get the achievement? I was in the area and wanted to make a quick buck so I did the ground one and it puts the airdrop on the opposite side of the Alamo Sea where I have absolutely zero chance of catching the rival gang. I can't even get close enough to kill them until they're about 20 seconds from making the drop, then I get chased back by a helicopter that was able to kill me from full health in less time than it took me to take down the chopper with a minigun.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Apparently getting strength up gives you more health and makes you more durable.

How the hell do you get strength up? I've been playing full sets of tennis but I've not seen the bar blip once.

Totally shut out Amanda, though. This is my court, sweetie. :owned:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Apparently getting strength up gives you more health and makes you more durable.

How the hell do you get strength up? I've been playing full sets of tennis but I've not seen the bar blip once.

Totally shut out Amanda, though. This is my court, sweetie. :owned:

Tennis works, it's just slow. Golf seems even slower. Punching people seems the slowest. I've heard you can run out into the countryside and punch cows though, which works okay since you don't get any stars. I'm probably going to try on Franklin since he can't play tennis and golf is excruciating.

That said, don't expect the health bonus to be too significant. I maxed it out on Trevor and Michael and don't notice any difference in survivability.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Vargs posted:

Tennis works, it's just slow. Golf seems even slower. Punching people seems the slowest. I've heard you can run out into the countryside and punch cows though, which works okay since you don't get any stars. I'm probably going to try on Franklin since he can't play tennis and golf is excruciating.

That said, don't expect the health bonus to be too significant. I maxed it out on Trevor and Michael and don't notice any difference in survivability.

Punching cows to boost strength? Some Fallout poo poo :haw:

Also that sucks, I really wish there was a way to make these dudes more durable. Even the full super armor vest got shredded on the recycling plant bust.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does Mary Ann ever pick up her phone? She was drat funny when I bumped into her and I'd like to hang out more.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Spikeguy posted:

Which radio stations do you find yourself enjoying the most? I can't seem to get into any of the rock stations so I usually hang out with West Coast Classics. Those are some smooth beats.

I usually chill out with Channel X, The talk show channel and every now and then Rebel Radio.

This game needs K-dust, K-rose and Kabron from Saints Row.

Baron FU posted:

Franklins version had me laughing for several minutes. It's by far the best one after you have done the others and seen their reaction.

I saw Fraklins version coming a mile off. It was still funny though.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
How the hell are you supposed to do Franklins first weed smuggling mission for Barry? I somehow managed to run off fine the first try, but since the game didn't give you any note that there would be a time limit, I stopped by at Ammonation to stock up and noticed the tiny timer box in the corner too late. The yellow dot was at the nose of my car when the timer ran out. :negative:

Now I can't loving do it anymore. The truck sucks rear end, there's the timelimit and immediate 3 stars, no matter where or how I drive, the game pulls the usual GTA trick of spawning cop cars out of thin air right where you're heading. One time I drove behind a completely empty warehouse yard thinking I could lose them, when a one single cop materialised out of nowhere, like literally popped in right in front of me and started shooting at me, resetting the alarm level. :psyduck:

This is the first mission to make me ragequit (twice now). I thought I was clever and shoot the cops watching over the truck before going in, but of course they spawn back as soon as you leave the area.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

To all the people that have collected the paper and parts from around the map... Is it a pain in the rear end? It's kind of daunting and it's almost the last things I can do.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ExplodingSquid posted:

To all the people that have collected the paper and parts from around the map... Is it a pain in the rear end? It's kind of daunting and it's almost the last things I can do.
It's a pain in the rear end and I can't imagine doing either without a guide. The rewards are lame (parts) and nonexistant (scraps) and unless you're going for 100% completion you're better off just watching the following cutscenes on Youtube or something.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I usually chill out with Channel X, The talk show channel and every now and then Rebel Radio.

This game needs K-dust, K-rose and Kabron from Saints Row.

KDST and KRhyme would be awesome.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

ExplodingSquid posted:

Use the http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/career/checklist and click the not found button. I actually found it quite relaxing doing it this way.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Franklin's style chooses crack me up. Is tucking your shirt into your underwear something that real people over the age of five actually do? Speaking of clothing, am I the only one driven crazy by the clothing store's extremely finicky interactions. Timing my button presses for the exact moment the prompt pops up and accidentally stepping a bit too far make me want scream sometimes. Why cant a menu just come up and let me cycle through all the options, are there folks out there just clamoring for a more involved shopping experience in their murder sims?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Law posted:

Alright so is there any way I can skip the you-know-what mission? I am seriously not comfortable playing that. Shelving the game until I can go back to cruising down highways to Rihanna and stalking celebrities.

Jesus Christ. Something Awful dot com: The internet makes you wimpy.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Just booted up the game to find that all of my lovely truck mods for Trevor are gone but at least the truck's still there right? ='( =)

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Jesus Christ. Something Awful dot com: The internet makes you wimpy.

Are you really surprised? People SA made fun of have their own safespace threads here now. It sucks that the GBS has infected even the Games forum and poo poo but what can you do? Apart from avoid using certain trigger words that seem to bring down the wrath and the tears.

Maybe we could make a seperate thread akin to the spoiler / misogyny (I bet that was a riot) thread for people to bitch about torture scenes in their modern murder and organized crime simulator. That way we won't have the back and forth 'That's too hosed up for me, I am a literal torture survivor! This is sick, Rockstar! Muh internet PTSD!' to 'You guys are being lame, it's a game, grow up, etc.' every couple pages. Or put a spoilered thing in the OP?

Tokubetsu posted:

Just booted up the game to find that all of my lovely truck mods for Trevor are gone but at least the truck's still there right? ='( =)

That's lovely, I've never had that happen to me. I'd be pretty pissed off because I spent quite a bit of money making Franklin's Buffalo into a modded up, turbo'd beast that leaves the other street racers in the dust every time.

Hopefully the first patch will fix all the car issues, they seem to have dropped the ball on that one.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Metanaut posted:

How the hell are you supposed to do Franklins first weed smuggling mission for Barry? I somehow managed to run off fine the first try, but since the game didn't give you any note that there would be a time limit, I stopped by at Ammonation to stock up and noticed the tiny timer box in the corner too late. The yellow dot was at the nose of my car when the timer ran out. :negative:

Now I can't loving do it anymore. The truck sucks rear end, there's the timelimit and immediate 3 stars, no matter where or how I drive, the game pulls the usual GTA trick of spawning cop cars out of thin air right where you're heading. One time I drove behind a completely empty warehouse yard thinking I could lose them, when a one single cop materialised out of nowhere, like literally popped in right in front of me and started shooting at me, resetting the alarm level. :psyduck:

This is the first mission to make me ragequit (twice now). I thought I was clever and shoot the cops watching over the truck before going in, but of course they spawn back as soon as you leave the area.

It took me 8 attempts. I worked it into a system of before I leave with the truck I set my own target to the place it needs to be dropped off at, when that done I then drive as fast as I can with the cops and drive along train tracks and ally ways and across the beach etc.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm a bit confused about how the switching between protagonists works for the main storyline. I only have Franklin and Michael at the moment and notice the plot seems to be moving along regardless of who I start missions with - is the "you must play as X" requirement only for side activities?

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm a bit confused about how the switching between protagonists works for the main storyline. I only have Franklin and Michael at the moment and notice the plot seems to be moving along regardless of who I start missions with - is the "you must play as X" requirement only for side activities?

The missions will be colored to the specific character. Michael is blue, Frankling green and Trevor will be orange. Some of the missions with more than one of the main characters will have slightly different cutscenes depending on who you start them with.

Most sidemissions are for one character only.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

The protagonists all have their own individual missions that only they can trigger as well as "team" missions that can be started by any of the characters who are taking part, though there are often missions that can only be started by a single character where the other 2 become involved later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification guys. Thought I was missing something pretty obvious. :downs:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

substitute posted:

Just had the best police radio dispatch. "Uuuuuhhhhh, where's Vinewood?"

Could it have not been "West Vinewood"?

Timall
Dec 20, 2008
Question from the previous thread: Is there any definite way to (random encounter spoilers) unlock Packie? I keep driving around the place where he's supposed to be robbing the store (as Franklin) at nighttime, but the event is not occurring. I haven't killed him, but I may have triggered the event early on while driving past, but I never noticed it.

Also Bawsaq is the stupidest thing ever. Connection is spotty where I live, and I got the stock tip from the guy you drive to the airport, but Bawsaq was down for maintenance. No money for me.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I heard that there is a malware filled Android app parading around as the iFruit app for training Chop. Is there a an iOS emulator I could run on my PC so I can gently caress with this app?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't think there is an iOS emulator but the app is poo poo anyway if it makes you feel any better.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I don't think there is an iOS emulator but the app is poo poo anyway if it makes you feel any better.

Maybe I'll bust out my Tamagotchi and take the edge off.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How do you "beat" the random mission in the desert where a guy is being chased by a cop? I tried shooting the cop and the guy just ran away and I got 2 wanted stars. I tried shooting the guy and the cop got really angry and I got a wanted star. I tazered the cop and the guy said "well thats one way of dealing with the cops" and ran away.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Stay the gently caress away from iFruit, it's literally the worst thing Rockstar have ever put their name on.

I genuinely can't tell whether it's a meta-joke about how terrible iOS apps are, or whether it just plain loving sucks.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So I was about 28 missions in to the main story, enjoying the fact that I had so many more to go but then the stupidly easy preperation "missions" for the third heist actually counted as proper missions that you can replay and everything Yeah, I'm sure I'm going to have hours of fun replaying that one where you buy some overalls. Is this the case for the rest of the heists as well? Cos I need to slow down on the main missions if so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Baron FU posted:

Once you've had OG kush nothing else will do

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TjyvTompa posted:

How do you "beat" the random mission in the desert where a guy is being chased by a cop? I tried shooting the cop and the guy just ran away and I got 2 wanted stars. I tried shooting the guy and the cop got really angry and I got a wanted star. I tazered the cop and the guy said "well thats one way of dealing with the cops" and ran away.

Did you ever taser the guy?

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Does Mary Ann ever pick up her phone? She was drat funny when I bumped into her and I'd like to hang out more.

I don't think she does but I've met her again as Franklin on a coast beach somewhere (I'm like 68% with the game for you reference). I figure if they let you contact everyone that you meet that way, they had to have much more dialogues recorded so they slacked off... It's still kinda stupid to have to scroll through all the chumps as Franklin to get to my taxi service though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The golf club now has a new owner in Trevor. It wasn't really worth it tbh but it's hilarious to own really

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

pik_d posted:

Did you ever taser the guy?

No I guess I forgot that, I will try it and see what happens. I guess nothing special will happen though since the cop always catches him in the end if you don't do anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FallinInTheBlak posted:

It took me 8 attempts. I worked it into a system of before I leave with the truck I set my own target to the place it needs to be dropped off at, when that done I then drive as fast as I can with the cops and drive along train tracks and ally ways and across the beach etc.

Wait, is this the truck that the cops are watching? Take an immediate first right from where you start (the little alley between where the truck is and the parking lot), then right again to jump off to the road below. You're now free to drive to the delivery and the cops are none the wiser.

• Locked thread