Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, Sonic is so incredibly unlikable if you choose to play him that way. I'm waiting on Tails to just knock him out. Also, why not invest in Tails' team up move with Sonic if it does more than Sonic/Amy's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dr. Buttass posted:

There's an old-ish Tumblr post or something kicking around about how Rouge is basically the Sonic franchise's (and, to a lesser extent, gaming in general's) biggest wasted potential. The Cliff's Notes version is that Sonic Team took a comedy prompt (a three-foot femme fatale who steals everything that isn't nailed down, is obsessed with jewels, and will not be stopped) and said, "Instead of doing something funny, let's see how many awkward furry boners we can get going."

Personally if it were up to me they'd reboot the whole franchise, and they could only keep, say, four or five characters besides the core trio, if they can successfully argue that they can do something actually funny with them (Rouge gets a by on the vetting process, because if they did her properly she'd be the best character in the franchise, but naturally that comes with the stipulation that they actually do her properly). Seriously everything they have ever come up with has been something that, deep down, really needed to be funny. I have no idea what possessed them to go all Tails Gets Trolled.

I seem to recall someone back in 19LettersLong's Sonic LP posted a rather nice hypothetical design for Rouge with a scarf or a cape, and, well, not a pink heart for a shirt. Does anyone have that?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lizard Wizard posted:

That icon for Shriek is just ridiculous.

:U

Did you take a look at the icon for distract?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Did you take a look at the icon for distract?

Also hilarious, yes.

Also, I found that redesign fanart. MUCH more sensible than what we got if you ask me.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 23, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also hilarious, yes.

Also, I found that redesign fanart. MUCH more sensible than what we got if you ask me.

Ah yes, TheKKM. I remember him from the Sonic Comic Marathon, he did a lot of art like that, and a lot of redesigns, though most of them are focused on the lovely characters from the comic and not the game characters. His Rouge is very nice though.

Wind God Sety posted:

Isn't that more or less what they've done post-Sonic 2006?

Pretty much. Really only Sonic, Tails and Amy have done anything post-2006, and Amy was really only in Unleashed. Which going by order of characters created, Knuckles would be the next one to properly add in since it goes Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles.

At least if we don't look at Mighty and Ray. Or Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper, Or the Chaotix in gener- Who thought it was only after the Classic series ended that Sonic got a bunch of friends again?!

Also, Central City is a literal drat pain. While there's no places in the game the music is good that is a location where the game must go mute. Again this was still the beginning so I was holding out hopes. Hopes that at sometime this would magically morph into a good game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would not have figured to have Sonic be the guy with mostly combo skills and Tails with none.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Glazius posted:

I would not have figured to have Sonic be the guy with mostly combo skills and Tails with none.

Really? Sonic would pretty much combo with everyone, being the main character and needing to be in the party. Like Crono.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sonic understands the Real Super Power of Teamwork™.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Onmi posted:

Pretty much. Really only Sonic, Tails and Amy have done anything post-2006, and Amy was really only in Unleashed. Which going by order of characters created, Knuckles would be the next one to properly add in since it goes Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles.

Well, Knuckles is going to be in Lost World! Maybe they're going to steadily reintroduce one character per game until the heat death of the universe?

Also, I know it was pointed out but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CNiBFrEnWk
MEDIBOT

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Onmi posted:

At least if we don't look at Mighty and Ray. Or Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper, Or the Chaotix in gener- Who thought it was only after the Classic series ended that Sonic got a bunch of friends again?!
Chaotix was a Knuckles game so nobody ever really met Sonic directly for the life of the older series, Nack was an enemy, and Ray is an ill-conceived idea in an obscure game. Sonic really didn't have any friends until they decided to mash everybody together.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Seeing this thread just reminded me of how much I disliked this game, and actually was the kickstarter for me starting to dislike Bioware. The story and dialogue has potential, but the battle system, stats, and music are just so terrible. My main issue is just that after a certain point, you realize that everything revolves around using POW attacks and combo attacks if you want to actually finish battles efficiently, hence why Tails and future character who is better than Tails are never gonna leave your party, since they're the only ones who can restore PP, as well as healing, and maybe defense buffs. And of course, every POW attack is always going through the motions of touchscreen quick time events, so it can get tedious after a while, especially if some random lowbie enemy attacks you. If I recall correctly, your characters never get strong enough that they can faceroll random mooks with spamming attack and POW attacks are almost always the fastest way of finishing a battle. Still, I had high hopes for this game at the time, and if it had a more consistent system rather than some weird blend of JRPG battles with WRPG stat balance, it might have been a more worthwhile game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Man, Sonic is so incredibly unlikable if you choose to play him that way. I'm waiting on Tails to just knock him out. Also, why not invest in Tails' team up move with Sonic if it does more than Sonic/Amy's?

I focused on Sonic/Amy's more because Amy is (most likely) going to be a staple of our team more than Tails. There is at least one more healer in the game that we might switch Tails for, (or alternately we could get 4 power characters and just start munching consumable items at alarming rates) so I didn't want to commit too hard to using him.

Allarion posted:

Seeing this thread just reminded me of how much I disliked this game, and actually was the kickstarter for me starting to dislike Bioware. The story and dialogue has potential, but the battle system, stats, and music are just so terrible. My main issue is just that after a certain point, you realize that everything revolves around using POW attacks and combo attacks if you want to actually finish battles efficiently, hence why Tails and future character who is better than Tails are never gonna leave your party, since they're the only ones who can restore PP, as well as healing, and maybe defense buffs. And of course, every POW attack is always going through the motions of touchscreen quick time events, so it can get tedious after a while, especially if some random lowbie enemy attacks you. If I recall correctly, your characters never get strong enough that they can faceroll random mooks with spamming attack and POW attacks are almost always the fastest way of finishing a battle. Still, I had high hopes for this game at the time, and if it had a more consistent system rather than some weird blend of JRPG battles with WRPG stat balance, it might have been a more worthwhile game.

Well to be fair, I think special attacks are always gonna be the fastest way to end a battle in any RPG. I do see where you're coming from though, (I mean trust me, I get tired of playing Elite Beat Hedgehogs every battle) but I think a lot of the time it is possible to just straight up attack your way to victory. At least, on non-robot opponents...

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

One thing that really annoyed me about this game was how Tails' healing ability requires a QTE and if you fail it then you get absolutely no healing whatsoever. It's not the hardest QTE in the world but it's really loving irritating.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also hilarious, yes.

Not gonna lie, I'm digging this design of Rouge. Cape-Wings are a cool touch and she isn't wearing stupid high heels either.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Line Feed posted:

One thing that really annoyed me about this game was how Tails' healing ability requires a QTE and if you fail it then you get absolutely no healing whatsoever. It's not the hardest QTE in the world but it's really loving irritating.

Oh, so very yes. I cannot count the number of times I told him to heal, his turn came up, he started doing his thing then at the last second I remember I'm supposed to poke the screen, and it's too late. No healing for me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TwoPair posted:

: Because I... well... because they’re ROOFTOPS!

Well, you can't deny that he has a point. :v:

I'm rather surprised that Central City looks nothing like how it has in other games.

Additionally, that GUN guy was a bit of a jerk to Amy.

Wind God Sety posted:

Sort of. The active and recurring Sonic friends so far are:

* Sonic
* Tails
* Knuckles
* Shadow
* Rouge
* Amy
* Cream
* Vector
* Espio
* Charmy
* Blaze
* Silver

With occasional appearances by Big and Omega.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 24, 2013

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Blaze and Silver deserve note because they've basically been reintroduced as Friends by Sonic Generation's Time-fuckery after their own games wrote them out of existence.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurieg posted:

Blaze and Silver deserve note because they've basically been reintroduced as Friends by Sonic Generation's Time-fuckery after their own games wrote them out of existence.

Blaze still has the Rush games for a backstory. Silver doesn't, but afaik he's just kind of around with Blaze now so we can still pretend very hard that 06 never happened.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Blaze still has the Rush games for a backstory. Silver doesn't, but afaik he's just kind of around with Blaze now so we can still pretend very hard that 06 never happened.

Silver is still "From the Future" it's just the future isn't a poo poo hole. he intends to keep it that way.

MetalixK
Aug 12, 2013

Geostomp posted:

But '06 didn't happen. Seriously, it's own freaking ending wrote it out of existence. It's like a writer on the game got a premonition that it was going to suck and that was the most damage control he could do.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Wind God Sety posted:

Mostly, yeah. They're headed in the right direction but they still have this big glut of useless characters they need to do away with. Relegating them to cameos in Generations was another step in the right direction but it's still a sign that they're hanging onto them in case they have another dumb idea.

Basically, the part of me that's been a fan of this series since he was a tiny child is hopping up and down in a spergy, entitled rage, demanding that they prune the hell out of this tree. I wanna say they should ditch all but two or three non-core characters but they seem to be trying pretty hard to make Shadow and Rouge part of the core cast, so I'm not really sure where to put them when I make that statement.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also hilarious, yes.

That is motherfucking excellent. Who drew that? Why aren't they working for Sonic Team right loving now?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
A question for the more expertly sonic fans out there...It's no real secret that the Sonic franchise borrows a lot from Dragonball Z, basically designing many of its characters personalities after the characters from the other IP, but how many exactly are, and who are they "homages" to?

Sonic was always a Goku analogue, especially in "super" mode. (it could be argued that the werehog mode from Unleashed might have a reference to the lunar ape mode as well).
Knuckles is the gruff Piccolo, that starts as an antagonist, but quickly becomes a friendly rival, while remaining a different species.
Shadow would be Vegeta by this logic, the dark brooding anti-hero that also starts as a major villain, bearing a strong resemblance to the hero.
And Silver is painfully obviously a Trunks homage, traveling through time to prevent his own apocalypse.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm not going to try any harder than that obvious surface level.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Choco1980 posted:

A question for the more expertly sonic fans out there...It's no real secret that the Sonic franchise borrows a lot from Dragonball Z, basically designing many of its characters personalities after the characters from the other IP, but how many exactly are, and who are they "homages" to?

Sonic was always a Goku analogue, especially in "super" mode. (it could be argued that the werehog mode from Unleashed might have a reference to the lunar ape mode as well).
Knuckles is the gruff Piccolo, that starts as an antagonist, but quickly becomes a friendly rival, while remaining a different species.
Shadow would be Vegeta by this logic, the dark brooding anti-hero that also starts as a major villain, bearing a strong resemblance to the hero.
And Silver is painfully obviously a Trunks homage, traveling through time to prevent his own apocalypse.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm not going to try any harder than that obvious surface level.

Amy's definitely Chi-Chi, Goku's wife and a manic personality with violent anger issues when protecting (or chastizing) her family. Tails would be Krillin, the eternal sidekick whose main defining trait is "not as awesome as these other guys, but always around to do things like babysit or explain why the other guys are being so awesome."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

Tails=Bulma, perhaps? And Amy is similar to the Dragon Ball version of ChiChi.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Silver also has the Rivals series where he fills essentially the same role.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

Choco1980 posted:

Now I wasn't there when they created all the different Sonic characters, but to me at least it doesn't feel like much outside of Super Sonic was intentionally borrowed from DBZ. There are some similarities but also a lot of contrasting. For example, Tails may be a gadget person like Bulma, but his personality is completely different from her. It feels more like they're just built on the same basic archetypes that get used repeatedly in the media. I have to say though, Silver does feel like Trunks ripoff. I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional.

It' funny, I remember how popular Tails and Knuckles were back when they were first introduced. Adding new characters worked great at the time. Man did that end up backfiring down the road.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
They were actual useful characters. The ones they added later were not, and most of them only got talking roles. The rest were either clones or were given gameplay mechanics that didn't make them worth playing. Also they were forced upon you.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Cheez posted:

They were actual useful characters. The ones they added later were not, and most of them only got talking roles. The rest were either clones or were given gameplay mechanics that didn't make them worth playing. Also they were forced upon you.

Yeah but what about the Sonic characters?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of which, I can't believe nobody's pointed out
Get hype, Froggy :allears:

e: Big is probably one of the most awful Sonic characters by weight, but there's something endearing about the fact that he's unapologetically a dumb joke character in a series that all-too-often treats characters who should be dumb jokes like they aren't.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 25, 2013

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sort of. The active and recurring Sonic friends so far are:

* Sonic
* Tails
* Knuckles
* Shadow
* Rouge
* Amy
* Cream
* Vector
* Espio
* Charmy
* Blaze
* Silver

To be fair, most of those characters have only been in Generations after 2006, where the whole point was to celebrate everything Sonic's been through. Between Secret Rings, Unleashed, Black Knight, Colors, and Lost World, I think it's just been Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze and Amy. And of those I think you've only had to play as Sonic, with Knucles/Blaze/Shadow being optional characters in one game. I guess there were maybe some handheld games since then that I never played so I dunno who was in those though. I guess that's still a decent amount, but it seems like they've been cutting down.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 25, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Wind God Sety posted:

To be fair, most of those characters have only been in Generations after 2006, where the whole point was to celebrate everything Sonic's been through. Between Secret Rings, Unleashed, Black Knight, Colors, and Lost World, I think it's just been Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze and Amy. And of those I think you've only had to play as Sonic, with Knucles/Blaze/Shadow being optional characters in one game. I guess there were maybe some handheld games since then that I never played so I dunno who was in those though. I guess that's still a decent amount, but it seems like they've been cutting down.

Somewhat off topic, but doesn't Generations have level that are actually from Sonic 2006? I would think that Sega or Sonic Team would want to forget that game as much as possible. The equivalent would be if the Yankees put together a Mariano Riviera tribute video that included the times he blew important Saves in the Playoffs.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SirPhoebos posted:

Somewhat off topic, but doesn't Generations have level that are actually from Sonic 2006? I would think that Sega or Sonic Team would want to forget that game as much as possible. The equivalent would be if the Yankees put together a Mariano Riviera tribute video that included the times he blew important Saves in the Playoffs.

Yep, and to their credit, Crisis City is probably not only the best level in 06 (not exactly saying much), but one of the best levels in Generations, so hey, it worked out for the better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

The entire game is about 'here's the series up to this point, for good or ill. Let's go forward from here.' I can totally get why Crisis City is in the game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Artix posted:

Yep, and to their credit, Crisis City is probably not only the best level in 06 (not exactly saying much), but one of the best levels in Generations, so hey, it worked out for the better.

I actually thought it was one of the worst levels in Generations, myself. What's so great about it?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Opposing Farce posted:

Speaking of which, I can't believe nobody's pointed out

Get hype, Froggy :allears:

e: Big is probably one of the most awful Sonic characters by weight, but there's something endearing about the fact that he's unapologetically a dumb joke character in a series that all-too-often treats characters who should be dumb jokes like they aren't.

Big the Cat is probably one of the high points of this game due to his ridiculous comments. I think I kept him in my party regardless just to make sure I'd see him react to everything. Might have been a decent meat-shield too if I remember correctly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
^^^ HEY BRO I SAID DON'T SPOIL ANYTHING. Nah whatever the game did already spoil it. Get hype for Froggy, indeed.

e: Also, on the topic of '06 stuff, Crisis City may suck or it may not, but it's music is totally one of my favorite tracks in recent years.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 26, 2013

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TwoPair posted:

^^^ HEY BRO I SAID DON'T SPOIL ANYTHING. Nah whatever the game did already spoil it. Get hype for Froggy, indeed.

e: Also, on the topic of '06 stuff, Crisis City may suck or it may not, but it's music is totally one of my favorite tracks in recent years.

The original is kind of iffy and feels a bit blogged down at times, though mostly decent.

But my goodness, Generations did magic with it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

It's more like if you wrote a history book and then didn't include WWII because really, that's so played out already. It's supposed to be a chronicling of all he's been through, and even though not every game got a level, there's probably at least one song/piece of art/cameo/easter egg referring to even the more easily forgotten games.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm glad they've embraced the whole fiasco. One of the points of remembering history is so we can avoid repeating the same mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also hilarious, yes.

I've got to say in spite of everything I still prefer the design on the right. If there were a good compromise between "practical cape for sneaking around" and "showboating bat wings" I would probably have gone with that instead.

• Locked thread