Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Why the hell has Vodafone landline broadband suddenly started to such rear end poo poo? Years of adequate service seemingly thrown out the window the last few months. Speed is OK, they just keep dropping the connection all the time and I am forced to go onto the farm network, which is...sigh...slingshot.

Is that their fault, or the exchange. I am angry and have a pen, paper and a stamped envelope ready to be fired off but I need to know who deserves my vitriolic script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Angry Moo Cow posted:

Why the hell has Vodafone landline broadband suddenly started to such rear end poo poo? Years of adequate service seemingly thrown out the window the last few months. Speed is OK, they just keep dropping the connection all the time and I am forced to go onto the farm network, which is...sigh...slingshot.

Is that their fault, or the exchange. I am angry and have a pen, paper and a stamped envelope ready to be fired off but I need to know who deserves my vitriolic script

Send it to Vodafone, you are their customer. If they have lovely contracts with Chorus, that's their problem, not yours.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Vodafone have changed their phone/broadband plans too, but haven't apparently bothered with mentioning this to their existing customers. Their new plans are cheaper and have more data, but don't have the "best mates" free calling group which is now a :20bux: monthly extra.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 25, 2013

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Angry Moo Cow posted:

You should really be logging this with them. Your connection to the exchange can degrade over time, especially after bad weather, convince them that something has gone wrong with the connection that's not your fault (good luck) and they can get a chorus tech to look at the exchange and see that there are birds nesting on your copper pair or whatever.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Angry Moo Cow posted:

Might be you router, lines in your house or the filters on your line. But more likely it is the line from your place to the exchange. All you can do is log a fault with Vodafone, who will push it up stream to Chorus who will pass it down to the local contractor. In my experience they will say there is no fault but they adjusted something unrelated and now it is working fine again. But they will do all they can to deny it was a fault with their stuff.

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008

Angry Moo Cow posted:

As others have said it may be your router. I tend to find they only last 1-2 years before beginning to act up, and replacing it solved the problem.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

It's a new modem/router thing. Chorus are pretty shocking around here. However we are a little isolated and as they constantly remind me, I am lucky to have an adsl exchange. This happens a lot though, and when I am getting better and more reliable service from....slingshot (that I have turned into a 50 acre network wonderland) which is going through the same exchange...

But yes, probably more logical reasons such as the wire being damaged in the recent storm. But by golly I wish to write this letter!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Angry Moo Cow posted:

It's a new modem/router thing. Chorus are pretty shocking around here. However we are a little isolated and as they constantly remind me, I am lucky to have an adsl exchange. This happens a lot though, and when I am getting better and more reliable service from....slingshot (that I have turned into a 50 acre network wonderland) which is going through the same exchange...

But yes, probably more logical reasons such as the wire being damaged in the recent storm. But by golly I wish to write this letter!

Send one to Amy Adams, if National hadn't have changed the UFB tender requirements after they got elected in 2008 you might have had fibre by now.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Varkk posted:

Send one to Amy Adams, if National hadn't have changed the UFB tender requirements after they got elected in 2008 you might have had fibre by now.

She'll just tell you you're misinformed, Angry Moo Cow. Your internet was even worse during the 9 long years under the last Labour Government.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

It was on dial up under the 9 long years of the national 90s and adsl kicked on here in 1999 for a low low price of $150 for 5 gig. I remember getting a $800 bill in 2000 for downloading 24gig in a month.

It was still faster than dial up though and didn't tie up the phone!

What happened to Clare Curran? This seemed to be her baby for at least half a decade? Just not good enough?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Angry Moo Cow posted:

What happened to Clare Curran? This seemed to be her baby for at least half a decade? Just not good enough?

Cunners took ICT for himself, she was a strong Robertson supporter and she can be a bit embarrassing sometimes.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Yeah she had her moments alright but came across as a campaigner for this issue. I just wondered if that was the limit of her capabilities in that regard. Better advocate than administrator?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Well, looks like Oracle won. Now we can all get back to not giving a poo poo about sailing, right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

cptn_dr posted:

Well, looks like Oracle won. Now we can all get back to not giving a poo poo about sailing, right?

What's sailing?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

they were on a boat

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

So no rich tourists for Auckland then? What is plan B?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Angry Moo Cow posted:

So no rich tourists for Auckland then? What is plan B?

Sell more state assets.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Continue to sprawl until San Francisco becomes a satellite city.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm going to drive through and in Auckland for the first time in years next week. Should be interesting to see how this road works.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Angry Moo Cow posted:

I'm going to drive through and in Auckland for the first time in years next week. Should be interesting to see how this road works.

Your tax dollars at work.

Or, not working. Because Auckland was designed by a blind caterpillar dipped in soy sauce having a seizure.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Volvo Ocean Race is on again next year with a stopover in Auckland. NZ has traditionally done very well in that. Hopefully Team NZ will stay together and compete in that again. Depending on what happens with the challenge for the next Americas Cup we could see the return of the Louis Vuitton Pacific Series and Louis Vuitton Trophy as distinct from the Louis Vuitton Cup for the Americas Cup challengers.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Varkk posted:

Volvo Ocean Race is on again next year with a stopover in Auckland. NZ has traditionally done very well in that. Hopefully Team NZ will stay together and compete in that again. Depending on what happens with the challenge for the next Americas Cup we could see the return of the Louis Vuitton Pacific Series and Louis Vuitton Trophy as distinct from the Louis Vuitton Cup for the Americas Cup challengers.

I prefer the not giving a poo poo option.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh good no more boats.

I still cant believe the Meridian share offer is extending the payment delay to institutional investors. What a blatant way to artificially inflate the price while the public subsidises what are effectively zero interest loans.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So long as it brings in tourism, business and foreigners, I'm for it. Provided, of course, that we get some kinda return

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
How's everyone voting in the local elections? I'm finding it hard to find actual policies on the candidate's pages, most of them seem to believe in a "better, brighter future for Wellington" with only the smallest hints of what they plan to actually do. I did learn that Nicola Young is campaigning on compulsory address numbers for buildings though. I guess she gets lost a lot.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

So long as it brings in tourism, business and foreigners, I'm for it. Provided, of course, that we get some kinda return

Each AC campaign has also been matched by a big push for tourism and exports. In 1995 ENZA was a big sponsor and used the campaign as the springboard to launch a marketing blitz in the US. The Ministers for foreign affairs and trade have been at each event pushing NZ products. Supposedly the 2000 defence brought in $500million just in increased tourism and spending around that. Valencia saw our European exports climb by over $75 million. It is just a pity we didn't have any NZ exporting business sponsoring the boat this time. Could have been a good platform to launch something like Xero in to the US public and certainly in front of the Silicon Valley crowd around San Francisco.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

swampland posted:

How's everyone voting in the local elections? I'm finding it hard to find actual policies on the candidate's pages, most of them seem to believe in a "better, brighter future for Wellington" with only the smallest hints of what they plan to actually do. I did learn that Nicola Young is campaigning on compulsory address numbers for buildings though. I guess she gets lost a lot.

I love seeing the crazies come out at election time:

"Jesse Butler" posted:

Jesse Butler. Aucklander. 45. South Auckland raised.
Husband. Parent. Grandfather. Masters Degree.
Unemployed. All Blacks supporter. Your new Auckland
Mayor. My first six weeks:
Week 1. Open financial books. Media watching. Money/assets secured.
Lower rates. Faster services. Executive transparency. Corruption/corrupted
gone. Staff pay-rise. Non-sexist/abusive/racist workplace. Increase staff.
Promotions.
Week 2. Visit South Korea. Taiwan. Japan. Talk multi-millions. Civil
defence. Build infrastructure. Full employment. Auckland living wage?
$22 an hour?
Week 3. Public hui. Veto Unitary Plan. Your house rules. Priorities. Mokos.
Babies. Children. Mothers. Elderly. Sick. Veterans. Retired. Disabled. New
Aucklanders.
Week 4. Gang hui. Truce. Cease violence/crime. Priority. Tourism. Public
safety. Rewards? Economic packages. Early releases.
Week 5. Develop land. Crops. Feed Auckland's schools/hospitals. Space.
Exercising Auckland dogs.
Week 6. Visit South Africa. Talk multi-millions. Business. Rugby. Netball.
2015? Australasian Super-City. Prosperous. Healthy. Shining. Pumping.
First class. NZ's new capital?
Our home. Our city. Our legacy.
Kia Kaha Auckland!

I also base a whole lot on whether they can write a profile without spelling mistakes, too many exclamation marks and going from third person to first person in the space of a sentence.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I get that tattoos are a higher priority than ending violence/crime, but I'm not waiting loving three weeks to get one.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
http://www.vote.co.nz/2013/candidates/jango-10077

The D is silent (and also invisible)

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Standing in Wellington's southern ward is Don McDonald - TVNZ's most prolific complainer

vote.co.nz posted:

DON McDONALD, Southern ward Candidate, W.C.C. Resident 1977-2013.
POLICIES: Transport: LESS car traffic, stuff. Buses twice as quick. NO blacked out ads on BUS windows. Keep 1990s CLIMATE? Toilets: SUFFICIENT public toilets, properly maintained. Power bills: I will proffer street THERMOMETERS. Train Home-Dry that 18C rooms reduces power WASTAGE. GRAFFITI Tagging: Camera SURVEILLANCE as defence. Communication/ CALL CENTRE: 0800- mobiles. Proper Follow through service for COMPLAINTS. DO NO GAMBLE: Alcohol coffee, coke smoke, tainment. The costs/rewards of my behaviours. HEALTHY Food: park bench. Smart NEWTOWN: Library- computing. FOSTER: Faith community, science education, fabric society, history Your CITY, council submissions and hearings, safety. Web: latest Twitter.com/mcdoNewt. P282/389-6820/ 0277-845-900. AUTHORISED DSM, Don S McDonald, F16-181 Daniell St, NEWTOWN 6021.

He's on twitter and is as incoherent as you hoped.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Here are my choices on who to vote for Mayor
http://www.vote.co.nz/2013/elections/grey-district-mayor
And for my ward in the council
http://www.vote.co.nz/2013/elections/grey-district-council-southern-ward
And here is for the trustee of the regional development organisation:
http://www.vote.co.nz/2013/elections/development-west-coast-grey-ward

At least we have some choices for the health board and the regional council.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Remember that old racist gently caress from Grey Power that complained about evil foreigners foreignering up the country?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10870436

I can vote for him! Hooray!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I'm gonna vote for this guy
http://www.vote.co.nz/2013/candidates/karim-dickie-9021
He seems cool and is involved with NZ-North Korea relations somehow :psyduck:

and also this lady http://www.vote.co.nz/2013/candidates/sue-lafrentz-8581

and definitely not this guy, because he's a butthole and he also sent me this

A personal message to your household
:)
Dear CENTRAL_WARD_RESIDENT

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Haha no one vote for John Morrison thanks
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/9210753/Sexist-Morrison-under-fire-for-marketing-strategy

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Vagabundo posted:

Remember that old racist gently caress from Grey Power that complained about evil foreigners foreignering up the country?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10870436

I can vote for him! Hooray!

What the gently caress is auckland's "optimum size and ethnicity" and according to whom?

At a guess it means auckland is smaller and made up of less brown and asian people.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

To be fair on the list of reasons to not vote for him that letter is probably pretty far down the list.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Smithersnz posted:

I love seeing the crazies come out at election time:

I also base a whole lot on whether they can write a profile without spelling mistakes, too many exclamation marks and going from third person to first person in the space of a sentence.

That was my favourite for mayor! I laughed for a good while at his profile.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

He's frontrunner atm I think.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I had fun reading through all the profiles. If you can't be bothered doing that, you're pretty safe if you just go through and only vote for woman. All the bigots and crazies seem to be white and male (who would have thought?), so just avoid all of them.

Phil O'Conner "wins" in my book:

quote:

When elected I intend to use every facility of the Mayoral Office to rally all people of goodwill to eliminate legalized abortion. All my energy will be focused on this single issue.

Why abortion? It is a medical fact that abortion stops a beating human heart and I believe that the preservation of human life supersedes and dwarfs all other issues combined.

Why Christians? I believe that Jesus commanded us to defend the widow and the orphan and to be witnesses to the Truth. To really live up to this command, I believe we cannot ignore the deaths of over 17,000 unborn babies each year in NZ.

Only Christians? Certainly not. All people willing to stand up for the Truth are invited to vote with Christians Against Abortion. You are invited to put God's interests before your own. Human lives before transport issues.

Stand up! Have faith! Be courageous!

You really have to hate Auckland if you pick this guy for mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Capitalizing the word truth is a dead giveaway that you're an ignorant fuckwit.

• Locked thread