Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This was amazing. I now want to buy this game what is wrong with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think the reason Rogue Warrior's violence seems more violent than MGR's violence is because Rogue Warrior is trying to pretend to take itself seriously wheras MGR never tried to be anything other than 'NINJA CYBORG JUMP CHOPS PEOPLE WHOA SO COOL EXPLOSION!' and thus you don't take MGR's violence seriously.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DoctorStrangelove posted:

He was in the unit that MGS2's Dead Cell was (very loosely) based off of. So I guess Rouge Warrior is MGS canon.

I would pay good money to hear the codec call where Raiden and Boris talk about the Great North Korean Knifing Spree that the Patriots had covered up for some reason.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
This is a snooping and pooping mission, Snake.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The moment Johnny has been waiting for his whole life.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
"Otacon I have infiltrated the base and am proceeding to the break room to take a dump in the coffee pot."

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Snake is the best in the field at poop snooping.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Gives new meaning to when Snake peeped that poop pipe.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I read the book Rogue Warrior when I was in elementary school, so my memory of it is pretty hazy, but there are large portions of it that are pretty much what General Ironicus is describing. With more chapters where Dick talks about how the military is full of loving pussies now. The part that stuck with me is him saying that with all of the technology now being a soldier is like being in a video game. It's basically the most angry grampa book ever written.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
This guy also hosts a right-wing radio show.

Show of hands, who didn't see that coming? :v:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He also had a tendency to torture his own teammates and at some point kidnapped their own family members to train them, if I remember correctly. And yes, the only publication I saw trying to spin this as a good thing was Cracked, which should tell you a lot about the kind of people they hire to write poo poo for there.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

This guy also hosts a right-wing radio show.

Show of hands, who didn't see that coming? :v:

I honestly didn't, hahaha

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

He was in the unit that MGS2's Dead Cell was (very loosely) based off of. So I guess Rouge Warrior is MGS canon.

I guess with the knives and the hair he'd be... Vamp? Man, this game could've turned out a lot cooler.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Would Rogue Warrior bet better or worse if instead of Mickey Rourke, they got Paul Eiding?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

To be fair if Snake had more than a few months to live after MGS4 he would have probably gotten a crazy radio show too.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

bobjr posted:

To be fair if Snake had more than a few months to live after MGS4 he would have probably gotten a crazy radio show too.

"Greetings, listeners. Lemmie tell you about Rations..."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

IronSaber posted:

"Greetings, listeners. Lemmie tell you about Rations..."

I think you mean the Cardboard Box.

We all know Snake would have founded the Cardboard Box religion dedicated to discovering the meaning of life and death within the Box.

Kitan
Jul 18, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Speaking of instakill trains, I posted this in the bad games thread so I might as well post it here. The perfect companion LP to C&I's LP of Rogue Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x4lj2p2Dhc

This is like Metal Gear Rising if Raiden used his knife instead of his sword.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Chexoid posted:

Ugh. I can't even watch this game without being overwhelmed by vicarious embarrasment for mickey rourke.

I don't know, I think I'd be pretty happy if someone paid me to growl terrible one liners and swear into a mic for two hours.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Look, did you ever have a job where they called you up and were like "hey, do you want to come in and pick up an extra shift?" And it was your day off so you didn't really want to go in to work but you were also short on money or maybe trying to save up for something so you said sure, and so you went and worked but at the same time you couldn't help but give off "I'd rather be somewhere else right now" vibes?

That's what this is. Every time Mickey Roarke calls someone a cockbreath commie motherfucker you can tell that his heart really isn't in his profanity-laden invective or in trying to grasp the nuanced motivations of Dick Mariachinko (stab everyone in North Korea), he's just thinking about what he's going to do with the money he's getting paid. Maybe he'll get Chipotle after work. A burrito would be nice. Or maybe he'll order a pizza instead.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kai Tave posted:

Look, did you ever have a job where they called you up and were like "hey, do you want to come in and pick up an extra shift?" And it was your day off so you didn't really want to go in to work but you were also short on money or maybe trying to save up for something so you said sure, and so you went and worked but at the same time you couldn't help but give off "I'd rather be somewhere else right now" vibes?

That's what this is. Every time Mickey Roarke calls someone a cockbreath commie motherfucker you can tell that his heart really isn't in his profanity-laden invective or in trying to grasp the nuanced motivations of Dick Mariachinko (stab everyone in North Korea), he's just thinking about what he's going to do with the money he's getting paid. Maybe he'll get Chipotle after work. A burrito would be nice. Or maybe he'll order a pizza instead.

Actually I think it's Dick Marcinko who's the one doing overtime. Mickey Rourke is just doing his best to capture this in his performance.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
So this isn't Rogue Wario? I'm gonna have to change my wishlist.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Actually I think it's Dick Marcinko who's the one doing overtime. Mickey Rourke is just doing his best to capture this in his performance.

Dick is sick and loving tired of getting loving dumped into loving shitholes and having to loving knife koreans in the loving neck. It was fun the first thousand times but it got old a few war crimes ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just wanna know what his weird attachment to "goatfuck" is. He said it like three times over the course of the first and second video.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CJacobs posted:

I just wanna know what his weird attachment to "goatfuck" is. He said it like three times over the course of the first and second video.

There was a mission in Tibet back in the 90s okay. Dick doesn't talk about it.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Neruz posted:

Dick is sick and loving tired of getting loving dumped into loving shitholes and having to loving knife koreans in the loving neck.

I think you mean "Dick is sick and loving tired of getting motherfucking dumped into goddamned loving cock-rear end shitholes and having to loving knife goddamned goatfucking amateur Koreans in the loving drat neck. gently caress gently caress Jesus Christ poo poo-loving damnit."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm slowly re-watching the LP while I wait for the DLC videos to come out and god drat, Ironicus' "HOOHOOHOOHOOOOOOHHH WAAA HAHAHAHA :syoon:" moments really make it something special to behold. Particularly in 10-1 where he spontaneously bursts into covering Sonic Adventure music in excitement.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CJacobs posted:

I'm slowly re-watching the LP while I wait for the DLC videos to come out and god drat, Ironicus' "HOOHOOHOOHOOOOOOHHH WAAA HAHAHAHA :syoon:" moments really make it something special to behold. Particularly in 10-1 where he spontaneously bursts into covering Sonic Adventure music in excitement.

I think part of the reason I went out and bought this game is because I basically am Ironicus' reaction to this game :v:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I don't know, I think I'd be pretty happy if someone paid me to growl terrible one liners and swear into a mic for two hours.

Do you have an actual acting career?

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

George posted:

Do you have an actual acting career?

What kind of hot blooded americanNON-COMMIE wouldn't like that?!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

"Otacon I have infiltrated the base and am proceeding to the break room to take a dump in the coffee pot."

Hey, we already know from this very LP that Raiden can DOOMP with the best of them. Don't just immediately assume only Snake can get the job done.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
All the blurriness and Rourke's half-assed swearing makes sense if you imagine that when you play the game you're not playing Dick Marcinko, you're playing hungover Mickey Rourke playing a Dick Marcinko game, like the beginning of Duke Nukem Forever, or a youtube Let's Play.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 26, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
By the way, even though the first video in the Dick Maraschino saga was posted in December 2012 and I'm sure both Chip and Ironicus have had ample time to find the answer out for themselves, Mickey Roarke doesn't have an Oscar but he has been nominated for one. He also has a Golden Globe, a BAFTA, and a bunch of other stuff. Also he was a professional boxer for a while which is how he acquired his present-day facial features.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Kunster posted:

He also had a tendency to torture his own teammates and at some point kidnapped their own family members to train them, if I remember correctly. And yes, the only publication I saw trying to spin this as a good thing was Cracked, which should tell you a lot about the kind of people they hire to write poo poo for there.

Yeah, he's kind of a noted lunatic. What's hilarious is that MGS2 dialed BACK Dead Cell's antics, because they felt the stuff the real Red Cell got up to was too ludicrously horrible to seem plausible. Reading this dude's autobiography is kind of like an Aristocrats joke that never stops.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And, like Al Capone before him, Dick was arrested not for being anathema to all reasonable society but because he defrauded the government when buying hand grenades. He claims that this too was part of Red Cell's attempt to reveal security weaknesses.

EDIT: He also named Seal Team Six in an attempt to 1 2 4 cow other nations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr. Maltose posted:

And, like Al Capone before him, Dick was arrested not for being anathema to all reasonable society but because he defrauded the government when buying hand grenades. He claims that this too was part of Red Cell's attempt to reveal security weaknesses.

EDIT: He also named Seal Team Six in an attempt to 1 2 4 cow other nations.

That sounds like the actual explanation why Canadian Special Forces are Joint Task Force 2 at one point was because the minister of defense thought the 2 made it sound mysterious

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, the idea was that we had Seal Team 1 and Seal Team 2, and then after the Iran Hostage Crisis they basically let Marcinko hand-craft a specific Counter-Terrorism force. Marcinko named it Seal Team 6 so the Soviet Union would waste time trying to dig up info on what Seal Teams 3, 4, and 5 are doing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yeah, he's kind of a noted lunatic. What's hilarious is that MGS2 dialed BACK Dead Cell's antics, because they felt the stuff the real Red Cell got up to was too ludicrously horrible to seem plausible. Reading this dude's autobiography is kind of like an Aristocrats joke that never stops.

You can't just say that and not give us at least a few anecdotes. :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, the idea was that we had Seal Team 1 and Seal Team 2, and then after the Iran Hostage Crisis they basically let Marcinko hand-craft a specific Counter-Terrorism force. Marcinko named it Seal Team 6 so the Soviet Union would waste time trying to dig up info on what Seal Teams 3, 4, and 5 are doing.

That's like Kojima wanting to make MGS2 a MGS3 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Okay, I have to ask. What the hell is a "snoop and poop"?

• Locked thread