Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Just the install disk, should I install the second to help with the noise?

My borderlands 2 used, came with a poorly applied crack protector ring thing. It make this awful clunking sound. Stopped completely when I installed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Fibby Boy posted:

Yup. Happens with boats too.

Boats are hilarious because they just start dropping into the water like it disappeared. You take quite awhile to die too, it's not even from drowning.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Only if you install it to a USB drive, otherwise you're in for a holiday in texture popin land.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If the XBox doesn't have to read off the disc it will help with the noise, definitely. You just might get some graphics hiccups here and there because the game is designed to pull the install disc content from HDD and the rest from the play disc simultaneously.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
I'm trying to do the mission where you play as Franklin and rescue Michael from the factory But some of the NPCs are invisible and Franklin is dying in one bullet from everything, literally full health to dead instantly. Has anyone else encountered something like this? It's pissing me off as I've spent 40 minutes trying to do it. A reboot didn't help either.

edit: Managed to blow everything up with the grenade launcher, rpg and grenades. Finally hit a cutscene with Michael and everyone became visible.

FallinInTheBlak fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 27, 2013

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

awesome-express posted:

Yo dudes, just updated gtavcheats with copies of the blacklight and satellite maps. You can download a hires version of the latter as well. :)

Oh that satellite picture is perfect for fugitive hunts. Thanks!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

lady blue shanghai posted:

Good to hear, thanks. I have PTSD from San Andreas flight school.

Flight school is easy, the people who are having trouble with it must be wearing their shoes on their hands. I golded every event on the first try, except for three. The one where you have to land on a bridge (I landed correctly, but I didn't realize it was judged on distance from the marker so I only got Silver, took me about 10 tries to properly judge the distance), the second skydiving mission (overshot the moving truck on attempt 1, on attempt 2 I cut my chute and fell 20 feet onto the truck, but I lived so it counted for gold), and the final exam (I got lost on the final waypoint and missed gold by a few seconds, restarted the level and beat it easily).

Flying just takes a sensitive touch, especially in helicopters. The moment you start throwing around too much lateral pitch, you end up in trouble. Remember your shoulder buttons, yaw is better for turning at low speeds, use pitch for high speeds or else you'll just crab around. Be very light on the controls (especially pitch) when moving slowly. I can transition from full speed to a combat landing with no trouble at all now, or taxi in ground effect around the airfield. If you want to practice, just take the Buzzard from NOOSE HQ on the east coast, it's the most forgiving to fly and it also has guns and rockets for loving around.

For planes, they're easy enough to fly, but turbulence is a common complaint. There's no real easy way around it, but I feel as if flying higher reduces it. Don't try to fight it, just correct your path with small movements. In general, anticipate your flight path. Your control surfaces on anything bigger than the stunt plane, won't change your course very quickly. Flying low or through canyons is all about anticipation, this isn't quite Ace Combat. Flying with your gear down when you're going too fast also creates a lot of turbulence, so wait until you're going at a nice low speed before lowering those wheels and give yourself lots of room in case you can't put her down right away (except in flight school, that poo poo is timed and you won't gold unless you come in hot and late).

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 27, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

GhostDog posted:

Only if you install it to a USB drive, otherwise you're in for a holiday in texture popin land.

It was very noticeable in the opening cinematic but while playing it wasn't that bad.

If both discs are installed it'll only spin up the play disc for authentication and should read everything else off installed data.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm constantly amazed at the detail in this game. I just noticed weeds growing in cracks in the pavement, and that the Not Prius is dead silent until you start going fast. I have a question about a random event too. The one in the trailer park, where there's a shootout between cops and some criminals. The bad guys drop suitcases with like $5k each. Its basically either ignore it, or grab the money and run, right?.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Fooley posted:

I'm constantly amazed at the detail in this game. I just noticed weeds growing in cracks in the pavement, and that the Not Prius is dead silent until you start going fast. I have a question about a random event too. The one in the trailer park, where there's a shootout between cops and some criminals. The bad guys drop suitcases with like $5k each. Its basically either ignore it, or grab the money and run, right?.

Yeah those are your two choices, and it's not even a choice because I think we all know what you need to do.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Fooley posted:

If thats the one I'm thinking of, the cops thanked me for my unorthodox behavior and didn't care that I took the money.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

If thats the one I'm thinking of, the cops thanked me for my unorthodox behavior and didn't care that I took the money.

That definitely didn't happen for me, they yelled "DO NOT TOUCH THE BRIEFCASES" and then shot at me when I touched the briefcases. I killed the bad guys fair and square too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fooley posted:

I helped the cops kill all the criminals, they didn't seem to care if my gun was licensed or not. Then when I went to collect the briefcases off their corpses a cop yelled "Hey! Thats evidence!" and they opened fire on me. Pretty cool, I figured they wouldn't react at all to me snagging the money.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
They opened fire on me as soon as I shot the other guys. It was counted as a criminal activity pretty much right away.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Fooley posted:

You can either kill the criminals, which leaves the cops but gives you a wanted level if you take the cases, or you can kill the cops, in which case the criminals get away and leave a few grand behind for you, or you can just let it play out and kill whoever is left. If the hoods kill all the cops then you can just shoot them and take all the money without a wanted level.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Casualty posted:

You can either kill the criminals, which leaves the cops but gives you a wanted level if you take the cases, or you can kill the cops, in which case the criminals get away and leave a few grand behind for you, or you can just let it play out and kill whoever is left. If the hoods kill all the cops then you can just shoot them and take all the money without a wanted level.

In that case when I encounter this I will Take a selfie in front of the gun fight and then finish off whomever is standing at the end

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

RatHat posted:

I'm picking up GTA5 today but I've never played a GTA game before. Anything I need to know about the previous games to get the most out of the story?

To give some context on something you'll experience when you first see Trevor on your screen again: In the GTA 4 Expansion "The Lost and the Damned", you play as a biker named Johnny. Also any time anyone mentions Liberty City, they're talking about the map from GTA 4 which was a fake New York.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Torture chat: I chose waterboarding for my second run as it was the least disturbing option and the entire time Trevor is shouting "IT'S LEGAAAAAAAAL!" as he's waterboarding the poor bastard. The amount of dialog if you solely choose waterboarding is pretty extensive, it even goes into the airport drive.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

is North Yankton supposed to be anything, or just generic?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

stuart scott irl posted:

Somewhere in the midwest, that's about it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I took it as North Dakota.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Fooley posted:

When I first came across it, I thought that the encounter might have resulted in a potential crew member. This was before I knew how many encounters actually involved crew members so I sided with the latter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

stuart scott irl posted:

It's generic midwest but Yankton is a county and city in South Dakota and the cop uniforms are based off of North Dakota highway patrol.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

23 minutes into the Coyote Cross Country Triathlon, I take a corner too wide and hit a photographer. "Race forfeit, crime committed".

Ouch. Any idea what the prize is for winning?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
So I just did a parachute jump onto a moving boat and found out that the game handles standing on moving boats very well. I could sniper easily from the back of a speeding boat.

This bodes well for GTA Online :getin:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Robot Danger posted:

Ouch. Any idea what the prize is for winning?

Where do you sign up for the race? What do you need before signing up? Bike, etc? God I want to do this tonight.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I'm looking forward to GTA Online. It's like they took all the fun bullshit from bf3 like crane sniping and jihad jeeps and made that the whole game.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Cerebulon posted:

23 minutes into the Coyote Cross Country Triathlon, I take a corner too wide and hit a photographer. "Race forfeit, crime committed".
:negative:

I did the same thing, smashed into about three people and went flying off my bike into the sidewalk. Three bikers directly behind me then ran me over. I had a tiny sliver of health left and ran and got back on my bike and somehow won the race by probably just a few inches lead on the two guys behind me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So is the smart money still on pisswasser? I've made a nice profit buying in at $2.57, since it's now $3.71. But do I stay on board hoping for further rises or cash out now?

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

marktheando posted:

So is the smart money still on pisswasser? I've made a nice profit buying in at $2.57, since it's now $3.71. But do I stay on board hoping for further rises or cash out now?

It can only go UP UP UP!

RoosterBrewster
Dec 30, 2009
I just hope racing in GTA:O allows you to respawn with something other that the Faggio like in GTA 4 and less spawn killing. That poo poo was really annoying when someone keeps spawn killing you and you can't even get a weapon.

So how is BAWSAQ supposed to work online when you can have save files? What would be the point when people can freely pump billions per player into the market? I thought it was supposed to only work for online characters otherwise you could just reload a save.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Torture chat: I chose waterboarding for my second run as it was the least disturbing option and the entire time Trevor is shouting "IT'S LEGAAAAAAAAL!" as he's waterboarding the poor bastard. The amount of dialog if you solely choose waterboarding is pretty extensive, it even goes into the airport drive.

The most disturbing option to me was the wrench, I did all 4 and that one that made me cringe like crazy. I actually couldn't believe it was happening. I almost enjoyed the tooth pulling, I guess I'm part sadist?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm going to make as much money as possible and then invest in Vanilla Unicorn no matter what- I will unite my fellow Goons until we hold a majority share even if it is a publicly traded company gently caress that economy

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Another potential :ducksiren:stock tip:ducksiren: if you're still doing the story: The Michael mission that begins with (mid-to-late game, but barely a 'spoiler') getting a tuxedo, the mission is called The Meltdown, seems to make the FlyUS stock skyrocket upon completion. You shouldn't even have to save scum because the mission setup is really obvious so you'll know it's the right one before you start it. And I say "seems to" because apparently others have reported no impact on that stock from the mission, but I tried it and it didn't seem like a coincidence. It was around 80+% returns.

I just wish I had more money to throw around for it, the same thing happened when I got the Tinkle stock tip and couldn't put it off.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
Question about the assassination missions, Jackson Skinner in particular. Before doing the assassination I bought an ample amount of iFruit stock and, after completing the mission, found it had risen 12%. The last mission I did eventually rose to an 87% increase before dropping so I decided to let this one sit. After doing one more mission I checked and found that the stock had dropped 29%. Should I pull out my money now (I invested most of my money on each character) to cut my losses or is this normal even after doing an assassination mission? How much time should I typically give an assassination mission stock before I sell my shares? I'm not necessarily interested in making the absolute maximum profit, I just don't want to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars when I should be making easy gains.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Pull out when your stock has reached 80% increase over the pre-assassination price. It doesn't get any higher.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

SheepNameKiller posted:

The most disturbing option to me was the wrench, I did all 4 and that one that made me cringe like crazy. I actually couldn't believe it was happening. I almost enjoyed the tooth pulling, I guess I'm part sadist?

If I could go back I would have gone all tooth because who knows, maybe in his new life he can get falsies.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So the UV map had that stuff about the dude who buys stolen cars at the container yard, but I can't find anything like that around there.

Is there a way to sell stolen cars in this (some of the older games had a list of cars they wanted stolen)?

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Pull out when your stock has reached 80% increase over the pre-assassination price. It doesn't get any higher.

I figured as much, but about how long does that take? And is it consistent between assassinations? I just found it odd that by taking 10 minutes to do another mission my stock not only rose from 12% to 80%, but then dropped all the way back down to 17% below where it started. It just seemed a little too fast and I didn't really have an opportunity to sell my stocks since I was mid-mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

It's generic midwest but Yankton is a county and city in South Dakota and the cop uniforms are based off of North Dakota highway patrol.

Plus the city is called Ludendorff, which I saw as a direct parallel to the capital of North Dakota (Bismarck), given that both cities seem to be named after German leaders.

Trevor property mission question: are there a limited number of airfield gun running missions? I just got the achievement for winning the arms race, but the plane and dune buggy mission icons are still there.

• Locked thread