Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

piratepilates posted:

But...it clicks! Do you not want a tablet with a snap in keyboard?! IT CLICKS!

Probably talking about how they're all advertised as full Windows 8 when really they're cosmetically Windows 8 but won't run any apps that aren't compiled specifically for them , which includes 99% of the apps you would want Windows for.

But they also sell a full on Windows 8 tablet that actually runs full Windows, which they don't bother to really distinguish from their fake-Windows tablets.

Aren't some of them the real Windows 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

piratepilates posted:

But they also sell a full on Windows 8 tablet that actually runs full Windows, which they don't bother to really distinguish from their fake-Windows tablets.
And it also costs $800 but they'll only compare the cheapest RT (non-real Windows) tablet to the iPad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

greatn posted:

Aren't some of them the real Windows 8?

Yes, the Surface Pro (and maybe some others) is a laptop with a touchscreen that runs Windows 8, the Surface or Surface RT or whatever the hell they call it that they spend 90% of the time advertising just runs a tablet OS that looks exactly like Windows 8 but won't run most Windows programs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw a really weird commercial for a company that sequences your DNA for $99 and apparently you're supposed to use it to check for any genetic predilections towards diseases and such.

Also just saw another really weird Dominoes commercial that literally tells you not to ever call them to order a pizza and instead just do it online.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Awful yes, but I'm curious to hear how they're misleading.

Insinuating that the Windows tablet comes with a keyboard (it doesn't) and/or the iPad isn't able to use a keyboard (it is).

I mean, when you flat out compare two products on the screen but give YOUR product an extra accessory that's sold separately, it's pretty drat misleading.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

Insinuating that the Windows tablet comes with a keyboard (it doesn't) and/or the iPad isn't able to use a keyboard (it is).

I mean, when you flat out compare two products on the screen but give YOUR product an extra accessory that's sold separately, it's pretty drat misleading.

That and the keyboard in question costs $100.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also make a big deal about how the iPad doesn't take SD cards but that's pretty much on purpose from Apple since they just want you in their ecosystem where everything just syncs automatically.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I don't know if it has been posted yet but I hate this commercial so much. They seem to play it nonstop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=886UlSIPdwk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Maxwell Lord posted:

Awful yes, but I'm curious to hear how they're misleading.

Besides what piratepilates said, they also love to make their tablet look bigger by using the ipad mini in the ads.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Time warner is running a commercial where a dad is telling his son to go play in the rain because dad's trying to watch TV and he can't record his show because of the family's current lovely DVR capabilities. Former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher then unlawfully enters from the storm and announces, "with time warner cable you can watch more than 4 shows at the same time" then stands there grinning like a serial killer. Thats all of his dialogue...it is pure lunacy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Ahhh. I hadn't picked up on that (though I'd heard about iPad keyboards.)

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ShaqDiesel posted:

Time warner is running a commercial where a dad is telling his son to go play in the rain because dad's trying to watch TV and he can't record his show because of the family's current lovely DVR capabilities. Former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher then unlawfully enters from the storm and announces, "with time warner cable you can watch more than 4 shows at the same time" then stands there grinning like a serial killer. Thats all of his dialogue...it is pure lunacy.

Also Cowher supposedly comes in from the rain but he isn't wet at all. He's even wearing a poncho! Now that I've noticed it, I cant unsee it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, some of the surface ads are going to go away since the showcase product on some of them was discontinued by Dell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's always annoying when advertisers think they're going to get something "viral" happening.

Like, the hip lingo that seems to pop up all the time in fast food ads, as per the thread title- most recently "Floasted" for Quizno's, and I also remember some KFC ad where a woman used elaborate mime to convey her love for the Famous Bowl. Nobody is repeating these things. Nobody is talking about them over the water cooler (well, maybe some people are, but those people are best avoided.) It's so forced.

Also some gum company is trying to make "Phone keys gum" into a thing. You'll notice I can't remember which brand. Always a good sign. (I wonder if this is the same firm that devised Axe's "Double Pits to Chesty" campaign which ugggghhh)

It's like they're trying to create the image that a culture has already developed around their product, but these are all inexpensive purchases that nobody gets invested in. At least with consumer electronics there's a sense that, okay, people spent a lot of money on the new iPad or Galaxy or Surface, they've got some reason for brand loyalty or want to retroactively justify the money they spent or whatever.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's always annoying when advertisers think they're going to get something "viral" happening.

Like, the hip lingo that seems to pop up all the time in fast food ads, as per the thread title- most recently "Floasted" for Quizno's, and I also remember some KFC ad where a woman used elaborate mime to convey her love for the Famous Bowl. Nobody is repeating these things. Nobody is talking about them over the water cooler (well, maybe some people are, but those people are best avoided.) It's so forced.

Also some gum company is trying to make "Phone keys gum" into a thing. You'll notice I can't remember which brand. Always a good sign. (I wonder if this is the same firm that devised Axe's "Double Pits to Chesty" campaign which ugggghhh)

Ugh, if I see the "floasted" ad one more time I'm tempted to just punch a hole in the TV. All that reminds me of when KFC came out with boneless chicken and in some article about it, you could tell the company honestly believed "I ate the bones" was going to become some beloved piece of pop culture history.

I think the other thing is for Trident gum, but I'm not really sure either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

piratepilates posted:

Yes, the Surface Pro (and maybe some others) is a laptop with a touchscreen that runs Windows 8, the Surface or Surface RT or whatever the hell they call it that they spend 90% of the time advertising just runs a tablet OS that looks exactly like Windows 8 but won't run most Windows programs.

You know, I can almost see the logic behind it, if you think of it like a "tiered" kind of thing. There were (inefficient, oversized, overpriced) tablet PCs that ran Windows before iOS and Android made it a thing, so maybe they wanted to carry on that legacy for... whoever was asking for that? I dunno. At the same time, they also wanted to piggyback on iOS and Android's current tablet success, so they adapted Windows Mobile to follow that as a mobile OS that is similar, but not the same as proper Windows.

And since Windows 8 can run both regular windows and mobile Windows apps, they figured maybe some people will want a cheaper version with just the mobile poo poo, and maybe some people will want full Win 8 to take with them. Which isn't the dumbest idea in the world, but the problem is that in this stupid push to give everything the same name and unify everything under the same look and feel, nobody can tell the god damned difference. That, and when your average person thinks of Windows, they probably don't think "mobile version that can't run the poo poo I have on my computer at home."

So I feel like there's a spark of a good idea somewhere in there, but it's buried under pounds and pounds of poo poo. Of course, considering MS had their finger in the mobile / tablet markets years before Apple and Google took it over and just chose to squander that opportunity, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 27, 2013

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's like they're trying to create the image that a culture has already developed around their product, but these are all inexpensive purchases that nobody gets invested in. At least with consumer electronics there's a sense that, okay, people spent a lot of money on the new iPad or Galaxy or Surface, they've got some reason for brand loyalty or want to retroactively justify the money they spent or whatever.

"Farm Fresh Egg Boy" was in an ad for Egg McMuffins about 10 years ago. It entered into my parents vernacular and they have been using as a random nickname for me and my brother ever since. :suicide:

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

To be fair to Trident, that commercial where they pay the babysitter in Layers gum is funny and I now almost constantly joke about paying people in gum.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sash! posted:

My lovely little Rust Belt mill town I grew up in has zero Starbucks. I believe it to be the last population center in the Western world to have no Starbucks. There are about 14,000 people.

There are five Subways. There is a 2,800:1 humans to Subway ratio.

My town of 15000 has 7.

7 loving Subways.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

To be fair to Trident, that commercial where they pay the babysitter in Layers gum is funny and I now almost constantly joke about paying people in gum.

Nobody ever pays me in gum. :(

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Also Cowher supposedly comes in from the rain but he isn't wet at all. He's even wearing a poncho! Now that I've noticed it, I cant unsee it.

If the dad would just acknowledge the absurdity of Bill Cowher in his living room (maybe like, "Bill Cowher?") I could accept it but as it is it's like an unintentional Tim & Eric sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8snCWeNAe8

-up to the part when he's shaking his coat forever.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Double Pits to Chesty"

I had to crack a smile at this. Almost forgot about it. Never got it. HE KILLED IT!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

raditts posted:

You know, I can almost see the logic behind it, if you think of it like a "tiered" kind of thing. There were (inefficient, oversized, overpriced) tablet PCs that ran Windows before iOS and Android made it a thing, so maybe they wanted to carry on that legacy for... whoever was asking for that? I dunno. At the same time, they also wanted to piggyback on iOS and Android's current tablet success, so they adapted Windows Mobile to follow that as a mobile OS that is similar, but not the same as proper Windows.

And since Windows 8 can run both regular windows and mobile Windows apps, they figured maybe some people will want a cheaper version with just the mobile poo poo, and maybe some people will want full Win 8 to take with them. Which isn't the dumbest idea in the world, but the problem is that in this stupid push to give everything the same name and unify everything under the same look and feel, nobody can tell the god damned difference. That, and when your average person thinks of Windows, they probably don't think "mobile version that can't run the poo poo I have on my computer at home."

So I feel like there's a spark of a good idea somewhere in there, but it's buried under pounds and pounds of poo poo. Of course, considering MS had their finger in the mobile / tablet markets years before Apple and Google took it over and just chose to squander that opportunity, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

This isn't really how it works exactly. When they ported Windows to the ARM processor architecture they made the wonderful decision that they weren't going to allow any programs other than Metro applications be built for the ARM version of Windows, probably in some attempt to create the appearance of a tablet OS. The only problem was that the Office team never got to make a Metro version for ARM Windows, meaning MS threw the desktop into Windows RT for Office and Office alone.

Also, by basing the ARM Windows on, well, Windows and not Windows Phone, they threw out any chance at cross compiling apps for phone and tablet that exist on all major competitors' platforms. They have not announced any plans to change this almost a year after Windows 8's release.

Is it any wonder their stock jumped 11% on the news Ballmer was retiring?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kimmalah posted:

Ugh, if I see the "floasted" ad one more time I'm tempted to just punch a hole in the TV. All that reminds me of when KFC came out with boneless chicken and in some article about it, you could tell the company honestly believed "I ate the bones" was going to become some beloved piece of pop culture history.

Yeah that KFC ad was terrible, but it did inspire a video that I don't think they had in mind by SA very own video genius, Everdraed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GL5lzMJomY

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Here's the Cowher Time Warner commercial mentioned earlier, it truly is surreal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQdN0fhhbRM

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Really tired of this toilet paper ad with a British lady running around New York asking people about their bums.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I was sick for about a week so I've come here to see if the ad I heard was a fever dream or not.

I went to sleep with my TV on for a few nights in a row and I heard a commercial more than once on at least two different nights during my sickly stupor that seemed to heavily feature what sounded like a woman screaming over and over. Just full-on screaming over and over and over, then it would stop for some kind of narration I couldn't make out, then back to screaming. My TV was turned down just enough that I never clearly heard what it was for, and I couldn't make out what the announcer was saying during it, but I think it was some kind of whistle or something? I either didn't roll over in time to see what the gently caress it was or didn't waste the energy to do so.

Is some company making a "I'm murdering the poo poo out of a woman" whistle or was my brain just overheated?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Eat like that guy you know you sack of crap!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Arschlochkind posted:

I was sick for about a week so I've come here to see if the ad I heard was a fever dream or not.

I went to sleep with my TV on for a few nights in a row and I heard a commercial more than once on at least two different nights during my sickly stupor that seemed to heavily feature what sounded like a woman screaming over and over. Just full-on screaming over and over and over, then it would stop for some kind of narration I couldn't make out, then back to screaming. My TV was turned down just enough that I never clearly heard what it was for, and I couldn't make out what the announcer was saying during it, but I think it was some kind of whistle or something? I either didn't roll over in time to see what the gently caress it was or didn't waste the energy to do so.

Is some company making a "I'm murdering the poo poo out of a woman" whistle or was my brain just overheated?

You will die in seven days.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Delta Airlines has this ad that's been running for a while, maybe it's just me but it feels smug as gently caress and way too self-congratulatory for a drat airline that isn't even advertising any specific features or successes, the only thing it really says is "hey, we exist, check out how great we are". It's like it was made just for one division to fellate another's profit margins or something and they accidentally released it for general advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MseMGAxgw

The 30-second edit that usually runs on TV manages to make them sound like even bigger ego-puffing assholes about themselves. "Crossing the Atlantic non-stop in a wooden plane, riding an exploding skyscraper to the moon? Forget those chumps- we're a commercial airline, you ain't seen nothing yet" :smuggo:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

McSpanky posted:

Delta Airlines has this ad

Saw black pilot, not flying Delta. :bahgawd: See what you've done with your ad there guys?

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

raditts posted:

You will die in seven days.

Well I'm glad I got that cleared up.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Arschlochkind posted:

Well I'm glad I got that cleared up.

Your avatar fits this convo well.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

I bet you caught that "The Heart, She Holler" ad from a few pages ago. That whole thing is like some sort of Basilisk Hack or Videodrome signal that's hitting people when they're most vulnerable, when they're all hypnagogic and/or drunk.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I bet you caught that "The Heart, She Holler" ad from a few pages ago. That whole thing is like some sort of Basilisk Hack or Videodrome signal that's hitting people when they're most vulnerable, when they're all hypnagogic and/or drunk.

I didn't have the TV on Adult Swim/Cartoon Network, so unless they show those ads on other channels I'm leaning towards "die in 7 days".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Delta Airlines has this ad that's been running for a while, maybe it's just me but it feels smug as gently caress and way too self-congratulatory for a drat airline that isn't even advertising any specific features or successes, the only thing it really says is "hey, we exist, check out how great we are". It's like it was made just for one division to fellate another's profit margins or something and they accidentally released it for general advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MseMGAxgw

The 30-second edit that usually runs on TV manages to make them sound like even bigger ego-puffing assholes about themselves. "Crossing the Atlantic non-stop in a wooden plane, riding an exploding skyscraper to the moon? Forget those chumps- we're a commercial airline, you ain't seen nothing yet" :smuggo:

United revived Rhapsody in Blue, so they've won at airline commercials for the next generation. Again.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Arschlochkind posted:

I didn't have the TV on Adult Swim/Cartoon Network, so unless they show those ads on other channels I'm leaning towards "die in 7 days".

The "The Heart She Holler" ad in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhl40sZDHe8

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I've only seen 2 ads for the upcoming movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2". One of them has a Strawberry apparently making GBS threads jelly, with another character stating "You scared the jelly out of him!", and the Strawberry gives a "Oops, did I do that?, I'm sorry" reaction.

The other ad is an adult character who is wearing a diaper, being carried on the back of the "you scared the jelly" yeller character, and the Jelly yeller remarking that it's good that the character on his back is wearing a diaper, and the diaper-wearer stating that he could use a fresh diaper, implying that he has soiled himself.

Is this what the whole movie is about? Is this what the entire 1st movie was all about? 5th grade poopy jokes? When the execs at the studio sat around the big table in the conference room, is this what they believe would generate maximum interest in getting people to go see this film?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nerdfest X posted:

I've only seen 2 ads for the upcoming movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2". One of them has a Strawberry apparently making GBS threads jelly, with another character stating "You scared the jelly out of him!", and the Strawberry gives a "Oops, did I do that?, I'm sorry" reaction.

The other ad is an adult character who is wearing a diaper, being carried on the back of the "you scared the jelly" yeller character, and the Jelly yeller remarking that it's good that the character on his back is wearing a diaper, and the diaper-wearer stating that he could use a fresh diaper, implying that he has soiled himself.

Is this what the whole movie is about? Is this what the entire 1st movie was all about? 5th grade poopy jokes? When the execs at the studio sat around the big table in the conference room, is this what they believe would generate maximum interest in getting people to go see this film?

The character wearing a diaper is probably the guy who was a popular advertising mascot (like a knockoff of the Coppertone girl) as a kid in the context of the first movie, and that was where he peaked. I'm probably making it sound way worse than it is, the first movie was surprisingly enjoyable.

Sash! posted:

United revived Rhapsody in Blue, so they've won at airline commercials for the next generation. Again.

Have they? I haven't seen a commercial where they used Rhapsody since that really good series of animated commercials like 10 years ago now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
More nightmarish dolls. Do little girls really go for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-SsTMSMQds