Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

Bunch of people in here setting up a false dichotomy about fighting games not having enough to discover if the roster isn't really large. I love you all but get back on your meds.

Who was making this point that large casts are required for a game to have depth? I've only seen the opposite argued, that large casts are only detrimental and can hinder the growth of a deep game by increasing the number of matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Did you know that sometimes people beat other people at video games because they knew more things about that video game? Did you know that's how people beat other people at video games a majority of the time? Did you know that Bob from Tekken was named after Robert DeNiro?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waterbed posted:

Did you know that Bob from Tekken was named after Robert DeNiro?

I didn't! Good thing you told me, otherwise I might have lost a grand finals to his Trivia Super. :ohdear:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh my, Ixiggle. Your "counterpoints" are things that happened afterward like it had any effect on the situations. Next you'll claim that the iPhone wasn't very revolutionary because you own a Samsung Galaxy.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Even so, did those things happen again after the first time? Are these people still losing to those things?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broken Loose posted:

Oh my, Ixiggle. Your "counterpoints" are things that happened afterward like it had any effect on the situations. Next you'll claim that the iPhone wasn't very revolutionary because you own a Samsung Galaxy.

Speaking of which, I really enjoy the Street Fighter iPhone games as they contain less cast members, making it the superior version for delving deep into the heart of battle.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Inescapable air reset into hyper combo is functionally just a(n unscaled) combo. What's the issue?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Doesn't a small roster make things incredibly boring after a while? I was under the impression that a large roster mixed things up and made things more fun.

Take Skullgirls for example. With only nine characters, you'll pretty much find out and understand all the things those characters can do and have to offer rather quickly. It also kind of limits you because you have so few play styles to pick from, character wise (although in Skullgirl's case, I suppose the upcoming DLC characters will fix this).

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

If something new is discovered and then becomes the standard I really can't fathom how you can call it a gimmick and not a strategy. Maybe if you actually responded to my question about what you view as an unfair gimmick (and how this kind of gimmick becomes worse with larger cast sizes, mind) you could avoid flailing like a child and whining about things in games you view as unfair and obtuse while being a champion of Skullgirls: Wait Does My Combo Still Work Edition.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

General Morden posted:

Take Skullgirls for example. With only nine characters, you'll pretty much find out and understand all the things those characters can do and have to offer rather quickly.

No, not really. Somebody earlier cited the example of how people are still discovering new tech in Super Turbo, nevermind games whose latest revision only came out a few months ago.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
To me it seems like the problem might be that SF4 and Marvel just aren't very good games.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Ixiggle posted:

Why? What is your reasoning for this? Do you have more substantial logic as to why this is the optimal cast size or are you pulling numbers out of your rear end because the truth is the distinction between too many and too few characters is completely arbitrary. 10-15 is your preferred cast size, not the 'optimal' unless you can back up the claim with something other than a gut feeling.

Btw, Super Turbo has 16 characters along with 16 o.versions of those characters, a cast of 32. Clearly too many for the game to have any real depth of matchups.

40 OZ posted:

I don't have enough time to memorize all that poo poo and I don't see why you need 50 characters to give everybody a set of tools that fits their gameplay mentality/style. I can make do with 12. That's fine for me!

Broken Loose posted:

40 OZ's point, while valid, doesn't work in practice because most games with huge casts either have a shitload of homogenized characters or just a shitload of irrelevant characters. You don't need to learn matchups against all 50 characters since only 10 are played.

bebop's point, while valid, doesn't work in practice because no game with a large cast has ever come out that actually had a balanced cast. It's like Economics of fighting games; you can say that Capitalism/Communism works in theory and that development time on character 49 doesn't affect character 50, but every real-world example shows the opposite because of the human element that destroys everything.

Gutcruncher posted:

Well youre in luck, Aquapazza is nearly 100% waifus and only has 13 characters!

(Aquapazza owns)

Redmark posted:

Adding a new character is only a good thing if it also adds a new playstyle. If all you get is a divekick with different angles and safejump timings, what exactly is the point? In practice, there are only so many characters in a game which "fit" well, and exemplify the "good parts" of a certain engine. Marvel vs Capcom 2 has 56 playable characters, but how many of them matter? Maybe 10? All of the other characters belong in a game which is not Marvel vs Capcom 2. Meanwhile Super Turbo has a very limited cast, but (putting personal hatreds aside) I can't say any of them doesn't belong in Super Turbo.

It took me two minutes to find four other people who are suggesting a number between 10 and 15. And be honest; how many different characters do you really see being played that often? I've been watching marvel streams for about a year, if you asked me to list the cast based on tournament play I'd be saying "Wesker, Magneto, Vergil, Doom, Dante, Morrigan, Strider, Hulk, Haggar, Sentinel, Zero, Phoenix, Dormammu, Nova, Strange...uh, there are some others I've seen maybe once or twice but I don't really remember them".

How many of the 32 characters in ST get played? Do you see an equal distribution of choices, or do some get chosen all the time and some get chosen none of the time? For each character, does the O. version and regular version get chosen an equal amount or are there some characters where one version is considered to be just straight up better?

And more importantly, how does having 32 characters make ST a better game? What does ST gain from 32 characters that it would lose if you cut the roster down to 16? I'm not proposing that 15 is a hard cap for cast limits and that any game with more than that is trash, but if you have a cast of 32 and only 16 of them really get any play, what are the extraneous characters adding to the table that justifies their presence in the game?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

General Morden posted:

Doesn't a small roster make things incredibly boring after a while? I was under the impression that a large roster mixed things up and made things more fun.
No not really. Fighting games are about the battle. If you're a person that has decided to invest time into a fighter, it's likely you have local competition. You're probably going to be playing against the same few people all the time and only playing a handful of matchups anyway. Besides, fighting games have a general skill associated with them in the battling part, aside from game specifics or matchups, that people get better at over time. I think for most people that continue playing, this is the driving factor. It's why people can go from game to game to game and keep playing and keep getting better. Even if there is a limited character pool in a game, they are just the tool for a human opponent. And there are a lot of human opponents to battle.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

So... Kusoru beat everyone at Final Round over and over again for 2 days because the UMVC3 cast is too big, which made his low-tier team too powerful for all the sponsored tournament players in attendance?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I hate Marvel 3 so goddamn much. I mean this argument can happen with any game but hoooooly poo poo.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Coca Koala posted:

if you have a cast of 32 and only 16 of them really get any play, what are the extraneous characters adding to the table that justifies their presence in the game?

If the game had been made with 16 characters in the first place then who's to say that they'd have been the exact 16 that wound up seeing real play?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I will preface this by saying that when I said 50 characters, or 100, or 1000 characters I meant viable characters.

Ghostpilot posted:

For you to be complaining about the things you're complaining about shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

I love blowhard posters like this.

quote:

Matchup knowledge ties directly into FG skill. How are you going to know what to look for in a matchup if you don't know what your character is capable of and recognize the holes on their game to exploit?

After so many viable characters, nobody can feasibly learn matchup knowledge against the whole cast. And they don't. Do I need to draw a graph here? In Bebop's example of a 1000 character game, you would be retarded to try to really dig into a matchup.

quote:

If you are getting "randomed out by dumbass 10 strings" chances are you aren't familiar enough with the game (in this case Tekken) to know what to do about it. You virtually never see 10 strings in anything above mid-level play because:
    A: they're not random (hence why they're called "10 strings").
    B: vary rarely are they useful.
    C: there are far better tools in a character's arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2mh0FLXUGw#t=04m06s

*Time @ 4:06 if the time link doesn't work*

There you go! Enjoy. It was dumb for you to make that appeal to authority but since you did, here is a better Tekken player than you explaining why you are wrong.

quote:

You learn by practicing, playing matches and, more often than not, losing. You don't have to learn every single conceivable matchup. Nobody knows every matchup: not Wong, not Diago, not Bala, not anybody else that anybody can name because that is virtually impossible.

Daigo does have matchup knowledge against the entire cast of SSF4. The game has a big cast but it has been doled out in successive releases, in doses small enough that someone like him who has kept up with the series can be pretty familiar with the whole thing. Does he know some more than others? Sure.

You know that feeling when you draw an opponent in a tournament who plays a character that like your roommate or best local guy plays? Where you salivate because you know you are gonna tear this guy apart? That doesn't happen in theoretical 1000 character game. Or even 100 viable character game. You'd probably be best off in 100 character game just trying to remember everyone's special moves.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

It took me two minutes to find four other people who are suggesting a number between 10 and 15.
Wow consider me throughly owned by the authoritative might of The Something Awful Fighting Game Thread. I like how you included the dude that was just making a joke with his post as an example as well.

quote:

And more importantly, how does having 32 characters make ST a better game? What does ST gain from 32 characters that it would lose if you cut the roster down to 16? I'm not proposing that 15 is a hard cap for cast limits and that any game with more than that is trash, but if you have a cast of 32 and only 16 of them really get any play, what are the extraneous characters adding to the table that justifies their presence in the game?
Number of characters is irrelevant to the quality of the game, and the cases where it does have a real life impact are not because of the cast sizes themselves introducing negative elements into the game. People are still trying to say that I'm arguing for more chars = better than and I've said no such thing. ST is an amazing game with 32 characters. Marvel 2 is an amazing game with 56 playable characters even if only a handful are actually used. Marvel 3 has 50 characters and is a not very good game. Its irrelevant and I've never argued otherwise.

Sometimes fighting games have characters who can't find their place. This isn't a bad thing. No game has been ruined by the existence of less than effective characters. ST Cammy is not very good but she's still very popular because people play fighting games for different things and different characters appeal to them for different reasons. FGs are defined by their character selection so I find a view that specifies these characters should be limited in some way as very misguided. Chun-li doesn't do anything in marvel 3 but her inclusion made some people happy even if they aren't winning tournaments.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

40 OZ posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2mh0FLXUGw#t=04m06s

*Time @ 4:06 if the time link doesn't work*

There you go! Enjoy. It was dumb for you to make that appeal to authority but since you did, here is a better Tekken player than you explaining why you are wrong.

I'm sorry...you mean the part where he immediately says that 10 strings are useless? Then goes on to say that you have to become familiar with things in order to deal with them? And furthermore goes on how to deal with them?

What are you even talking about?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm sorry...you mean the part where he immediately says that 10 strings are useless? Then goes on to say that you have to become familiar with things in order to deal with them? And furthermore goes on how to deal with them?

"Ten hit combos, string, these ARE useless... in the end."

Uh Then he makes the point about where he gets beat by bullshit because its something hes never seen before and he hates getting beat by losing to ten hit combos but that in tekken revolution there is an invicible move that stops the 10 hit combo hes never seen and he's never seen and my brain 572389-655r883975127489-1241251vt fg6803g680g78

:suicide:

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 29, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Ghostpilot posted:

10 strings in tekken are roughly the equivalent of the Ken player who just does dragon punches from one end of the screen to the other. If you don't know what to do about it, you're going to get beaten in embarrassing fashion, but once you realize you can just block and punish, they're no issue.

Are even seasoned players going to sometimes fall for dumbshit because they basically out think themselves and do the "there's no way he's ACTUALLY doing that" thing? Yeah of course. Is it going to reliably win matches at anything past a beginner level? No it isn't.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

40 OZ posted:

"Ten hit combos, string, these ARE useless... in the end."

Uh Then he makes the point about where he gets beat by bullshit because its something hes never seen before and he hates getting beat by losing to ten hit combos he's never seen and my brain 572389-655r883975127489-1241251vt fg6803g680g78

You lose to something you haven't seen before. Then, hopefully, you learn. Then you stop losing.

It's as simple as that.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
edit- No, i'm not responding to you because you responded to my effortpost with blowhard one liners that don't mean anything.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wow a pro player lost to something and complains about the thing he lost to what a rock solid argument. Maybe we should ban yun and games that have yun in them since fchamp got really mad about losing to yun.

vvvvvv Lets get rid of combos too so that True Skill (tm) can shine through and combos are just memorization anyway!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 29, 2013

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Ghostpilot posted:

You lose to something you haven't seen before. Then, hopefully, you learn. Then you stop losing.

It's as simple as that.

Yeah, and the more obscure superfluous stuff you have to learn the less a game becomes about actual fighting game fundamentals and being a Good Player and becomes more about grinding out knowledge and studying.

Jeffrey posted:

vvvvvv Lets get rid of combos too so that True Skill (tm) can shine through and combos are just memorization anyway!
But combos are a mechanical and a very fundamental thing, they're not just rote knowledge. A lot of learning matchups is very fundamental and mechanical and requires you to be a really good player to figure it out. But there's a point at which the breadth of a game can get to the point where it becomes too much about learning very specific things. I'm not one of the divekick "this game lets me play a True Game based on Real Skill" people, but I think there's a point at which depth and a smaller cast become much better than larger casts.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 29, 2013

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Brett824 posted:

Yeah, and the more obscure superfluous stuff you have to learn the less a game becomes about actual fighting game fundamentals and being a Good Player and becomes more about grinding out knowledge and studying.

Divekick is the epitome of all fighting games.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

Wow a pro player lost to something and complains about the thing he lost to what a rock solid argument. Maybe we should ban yun and games that have yun in them since fchamp got really mad about losing to yun.

This is a total shithead post. Is this really how you discuss things? Why are you contributing some horseshit like this?

The guy made an appeal to authority by saying that good players don't lose to 10-strings, that I couldn't form an argument about them because I wasn't as good as him.

So I responded with a good player refuting him.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Brett824 posted:

If we remove things we have to learn about the game we can focus on learning things about the game instead. Another brilliant Brett post.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Redmark posted:

A lot of matchups are just internalizing "oh move X beats move Y" and then it just comes back to fundamentals.

The part of matchups where you grind how the knowledge of which hitboxes beat which other hitboxes is honestly a little boring to me.

I had to quote this because, Wtf? This is not a thing, whatsoever.

I also can't believe people are arguing stuff like Kusoru or Adon winning off the strength of unconventional characters is a BAD thing. It's interesting when the meta is shaken up and characters that were previously thought to be unviable become threats. It's a big part of what makes watching a game go through its competitive life cycle interesting.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Jeffrey posted:

Yes, that is exactly what Brett said. Good job, you successfully extracted the proper meaning from his post. Go celebrate.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

It's a slippery slope fellas! Stop posting.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
What the dude in 40 OZ's video is saying is that the canned 10 strings in Tekken are stupid because they add false depth to the game, they're extremely effective until you gone through the rote process of memorizing how to block and parry/interrupt them (which is different for every character) and completely worthless after. Not comparable to blocking reversals in SF.

Dandy J
May 17, 2003

macro machines
Yo dude there are over 150 ten strings in TTT2, even if you learn them all, good luck remembering what they all look like. Tekken is actually the best example of having too much superfluous, arcane legacy bull that adds nothing worthwhile to the game. Anyway in my opinion, generally 2D fighting games should have 20-24 characters max, and 3D should have 16-20. Anything more is just added because people can't get enough new characters...they are a huge selling point.

Jeffrey posted:

Lets get rid of combos too so that True Skill (tm) can shine through and combos are just memorization anyway!
You say that sarcastically but...it's true. People are obsessed with combos because they are fun to do. But at the same time you can design a game where instead of doing a combo from a move, the move itself simply does a combo's worth of damage and has a satisfying impact, and more skill levels would be able to enjoy the game on a higher level. It would also make it obvious how silly combos are in a lot of games...kof13, mvc3, tekken, etc.

Dandy J fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 29, 2013

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Ixiggle posted:

If we remove [extraneous, superfluous] things we have to learn about the game we can focus on learning things about the game instead. Another brilliant Brett post.

Hey I fixed your post so that it actually reflects the sentiment of the guy you quoted, I hope you don't mind.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jmcrofts posted:

I also can't believe people are arguing stuff like Kusoru or Adon winning off the strength of unconventional characters is a BAD thing. It's interesting when the meta is shaken up and characters that were previously thought to be unviable become threats. It's a big part of what makes watching a game go through its competitive life cycle interesting.

There's a difference between what you're describing and what I was describing, though. Rocket stayed in obscurity after Final Round because it turns out you can easily deal with him if you knew it existed beforehand.

If a character is legitimately slept-on, then they will rise in power and stay powerful like Doom and Morrigan. If a character is a dumb gimmick, then they will catch people by surprise, possibly take out a tournament, and then stop affecting people like one of those springy snake canister things or getting goatse'd.

Dandy J
May 17, 2003

macro machines
A character being overall less effective than other characters does not make them a gimmick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Brett824 posted:

But there's a point at which the breadth of a game can get to the point where it becomes too much about learning very specific things. I'm not one of the divekick "this game lets me play a True Game based on Real Skill" people, but I think there's a point at which depth and a smaller cast become much better than larger casts.

Sorry this is how you pattern matched when I read your post, I think your argument applies to both things which is why I responded that way. To me being a good player is about synthesizing the stuff actually in the game with "fundamentals" in order to win, the two are inseparable. I agree there could be a game that suffered for requiring too much background knowledge but I suspect we're not there yet. Once you've chosen a combo and hit confirmed it the rest pretty much is rote memorization.

Dandy J posted:

You say that sarcastically but...it's true. People are obsessed with combos because they are fun to do. But at the same time you can design a game where instead of doing a combo from a move, the move itself simply does a combo's worth of damage and has a satisfying impact, and more skill levels would be able to enjoy the game on a higher level. It would also make it obvious how silly combos are in a lot of games...kof13, mvc3, tekken, etc.
I think having to hit confirm your big damage is cool and so there should still be some manner of combos, but ideally they are short and not too tough to learn. ST has the right combo length to me. I definitely agree it can be weighted too highly the other way ala HD combos in kof13.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2013

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

Hey I fixed your post so that it actually reflects the sentiment of the guy you quoted, I hope you don't mind.

You seem to need help making your points for yourself so yes feel free to edit mine if it makes it easier for you. I actually kinda agree with DandyJ's points on some of Tekken's arbitrary knowledge and execution checks before you can even really get into the game, and its making me reconsider some of my earlier arguments. Even 10 strings aside there's a lot of stuff in there that will blow up anyone who doesn't know about it but are also completely worthless in high level, what I view as a real gimmick. BL argued that overheads were a gimmick and Brett didn't make any distinction in what was superfluous bullshit. There are a lot of people that think combos and DP motions are added bullshit, remember.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ixiggle posted:

BL argued that overheads were a gimmick

OH, you're really just trolling. You had me wondering for a second, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Hope you knew beforehand that X-23's cinematic level 1 is completely invincible for the first 20 frames while she walks across the screen, or about hyper armor Hsien-ko, or Turnabout Mode, or Firebrand Snapback Unblockable, or how to get out of Ultimate Web Throw setups, or that Spencer has a grounded overhead he tends to use after an XFC'ed Bionic Arm, or that Felicia is just a gigantic shitpile of infuriating gimmicks!

Nah I meant that one. The Skullgirls jab was trolling though :)

• Locked thread