Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I decided to look up From Dusk Till Dawn and good lord that movie sounds uhh... special. While sticking a random vampire invasion in the middle of the game would be amazing I think Bobulous had the right idea and it's meant to be more metaphorical than anything.

Whoever wrote this game and/or the light novels sure seems to like American movies. Or maybe Tarintino's work just happens to be really popular in Japan for some reason? I've always wondered how the average Japanese person would react to something like Kill Bill. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Popo posted:

I am fascinated to see why this game is referencing Dusk till Dawn. At least Gundam should be happy about this turn of events.

I hope to god that the murder scene in this chapter doesn't resemble the bank teller. :cry:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Whoever wrote this game and/or the light novels sure seems to like American movies. Or maybe Tarintino's work just happens to be really popular in Japan for some reason? I've always wondered how the average Japanese person would react to something like Kill Bill. :v:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Kill Bill was fairly popular in Japan.

In any case, Kodaka, the game's author, was a film major in university, which may explain some of his interests.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've definitely seen Tarantino references/homages in other Japanese stuff, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Overflight posted:

999/VLR crossover confirmed. :v:

I'm surprised that I didn't notice that.

Kind of funny that Fedule got to plug his other LP, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

So I decided to look up From Dusk Till Dawn and good lord that movie sounds uhh... special.

It really is. The first half is a classic Tarentino crime movie, and the back half is a ridiculous schlock horror movie.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Alright, Sainoji is loving with them all here. I think she might be the mole or however that all works out. I really like where they're going with this cast. Who do you all think dies next?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hopefully Saionji. Without the pervert, the bully, and the misandrist, things should be overall more pleasant in the group.

Well, aside from Komaeda, of course.

And given that SDR2 seems to be doing throwbacks, I wouldn't be surprised if Saionji and Mahiru's relationship mirrors and ends up like Ishimaru and Mondo's.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ulmont posted:

It really is. The first half is a classic Tarentino crime movie, and the back half is a ridiculous schlock horror movie.

It's like you can tell the exact page in the script where Rodiriguez burst into the room with a handle of tequila and some cheap Mexican vampire movies.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gensuki posted:

Turns out Hinata is the traitor. The amnesiac protagonist being the true villain always appealed to me.

I like the Mahiru monument scene. Seeing Saionji trying to help, and failing miserably makes me like her character a bit more. I'm also glad that she's still pretty much a jerk despite character development.

Ha ha ha. Although I am eagerly anticipating a moment someone joins Hinata in his room and notices he's got a shrine to Monobear set up in it! It would be a nice subversion of the "go find all these hidden objects to advance the game while having no effect whatsoever on the plot" phenomenon.

Seriously, Hinata ought to be keeping those figurines in his sock drawer or something.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Saionji bit was probably just a joke about the first genuinely nice thing she's done so far turning out like that. I wouldn't look too far into it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, gently caress off, Saionji. Weird, creepy, unrealistic and possibly manipulative gently caress. :argh:

Although, it should be entertaining to see our despair-filled adventures continue into the Titty Twister.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Justin_Brett posted:

The Saionji bit was probably just a joke about the first genuinely nice thing she's done so far turning out like that. I wouldn't look too far into it.

Maybe... except that she was really unhappy about everyone willing to forgive and forget Kuzyryuu trying to murder Koizumi. He also stayed silent while Saionji had a big frame nailed around her. That's the kind of thing people take personal.

Saionji is not dumb, so if she was planning on getting revenge, pretending to be dumber, weaker, softer, and more incompetent than she actually is, is a good opening move.

xSangiune8
Jul 7, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Who do you all think dies next?

Well, if i was going to go off the "from Dusk till Dawn" theme, I'd guess... our beloved self-styled prince of darkness, Gundam. :(

I wonder who will be assisting in this particular murder, as that seems to be a pattern so far. This high school class certainly seems to be more willing to get their hands dirty than the 78th: only two murders, yet four people have been involved thus far.

I'm wondering if this hill evokes a particular location/district in Japan - perhaps a certain slum or red-light district? I can definitely see where Kessler's favela-type vibe is coming from.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hopefully Saionji. Without the pervert, the bully, and the misandrist, things should be overall more pleasant in the group.

She said something mean to Hinata once, MISANDRY! :byodood:

Seriously, what are you talkin about because I can't think of anything misandrist in this game so far.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, I'm really wondering why the shadowy figure(s) that Monomi is "middle management" for (Faction Hope?) haven't intervened. Monomi asked them as much directly. For them to set up this island seems to imply that they have as many resources as Monobear does. Do they think things will repeat and they should let these new kids defeat Monobear without their help? That would be almost as bad as Nagito's creepy hope deal.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Heads up guys, pause your Youtube watch history before you watch any of the LP's videos on Polsy. I managed to get spoiled on an upcoming execution because it got put in my recommended videos and I saw the thumbnail. Luckily, I don't know the context, but it's still a bitch and a half because I was totally spoiler-free.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

The more this game goes on the more the theory about every super-high-school-level whatever on the island being a real rear end in a top hat in someway appeals to me.

Nanami, Sonia, and Ibuki aren't assholes, though. Neither was Koizumi.

Oh Jesus Christ not this poo poo again

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Gyre posted:

Heads up guys, pause your Youtube watch history before you watch any of the LP's videos on Polsy. I managed to get spoiled on an upcoming execution because it got put in my recommended videos and I saw the thumbnail. Luckily, I don't know the context, but it's still a bitch and a half because I was totally spoiler-free.

Regardless of spoilers, pause your watch history anyway because YouTube's suggestions are only good about a quarter of the time anyway.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe... except that she was really unhappy about everyone willing to forgive and forget Kuzyryuu trying to murder Koizumi. He also stayed silent while Saionji had a big frame nailed around her. That's the kind of thing people take personal.

Saionji is not dumb, so if she was planning on getting revenge, pretending to be dumber, weaker, softer, and more incompetent than she actually is, is a good opening move.

Except that when everyone thought it was horrible she pretended someone else did it. I'm not seeing any conspiracy or anything from Saionji this instant, and I'd be surprised if this will be anything other than a joke about Saionji's aesthetic choices. (Of course, this will have relevance in the trial somehow.) She doesn't seem the manipulative type, anyway. She's been very straightforward and seem to be operating on the same level as Nidai and Ibuki intellectually.

Of course, as this is Dangan Ronpa, I am probably horribly wrong.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Austrian mook posted:

Alright, Sainoji is loving with them all here. I think she might be the mole or however that all works out. I really like where they're going with this cast. Who do you all think dies next?
EDIT:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you guys seriously attempting to guess the victim and culprit one update into chapter 3? Please. Stop it.
You're right, nevermind.

DaveWoo posted:

Nanami, Sonia, and Ibuki aren't assholes, though. Neither was Koizumi.
Sonia is starting to behave a bit off right there:

orenronen posted:

The impertinence! Do you forget with whom you speak?!

She seems to think of the others as less than her, she has just been hiding it so far.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 29, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Are you guys seriously attempting to guess the victim and culprit one update into chapter 3? Please. Stop it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Except that when everyone thought it was horrible she pretended someone else did it. I'm not seeing any conspiracy or anything from Saionji this instant, and I'd be surprised if this will be anything other than a joke about Saionji's aesthetic choices. (Of course, this will have relevance in the trial somehow.) She doesn't seem the manipulative type, anyway. She's been very straightforward and seem to be operating on the same level as Nidai and Ibuki intellectually.

Of course, as this is Dangan Ronpa, I am probably horribly wrong.

I think this is true. Saionji isn't manipulative, which should be obvious given how she doesn't even try to hide the fact that she's a spiteful little bitch. If she really wanted to play up the sympathy, she probably wouldn't have ended the moment by randomly insulting Tsumiki. Frankly I think the idea of people suspecting her of being manipulative is humorously circular, since the only reason you want to see her in the worst light is because she's been too straightforwardly cruel throughout the entire game.

Anyway, I'm guessing that she'll either live to the end like Togami or get killed by Tsumiki or something. She makes a pretty good victim, honestly, because she can easily arrange it so that everyone hates her immediately beforehand. Sort of like Oogami from the previous game: everyone tried to kill her, but who succeeded?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Honestly, what's the problem with making silly predictions about who the next one to die is? Or would you prefer we get into more meta talk about how the thread sucks, because that's all the best posts.

Really, I take back what I said about Souda. He's kind of necessary to keep this game grounded. Between Gundam, Ibuki and Nidai this group is getting pretty wild.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

xSangiune8 posted:

I wonder who will be assisting in this particular murder, as that seems to be a pattern so far. This high school class certainly seems to be more willing to get their hands dirty than the 78th: only two murders, yet four people have been involved thus far.

I wouldn't quite say that. By this point in DR1 we had an attempted murderer in Maizono, actual murderers in Leon and Mondo, and Togami messing around at crime scenes.

also i guess japan's greatest serial killer or something w/e

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

So I decided to look up From Dusk Till Dawn and good lord that movie sounds uhh... special. While sticking a random vampire invasion in the middle of the game would be amazing I think Bobulous had the right idea and it's meant to be more metaphorical than anything.

From Dusk Till Dawn rocks in that it's literally one half quentin tarantino tense thriller and one half robert rodriguez vampire massacre. Also has a fantastic cast, including Quentin Tarantino!

Acornicus
Jun 10, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, gently caress off, Saionji. Weird, creepy, unrealistic and possibly manipulative gently caress. :argh:

Yes, because all of the characters in this game are so realistic. :rolleyes:

Excited to see the new area, although I'm really hoping Kuzuryuu comes back, even if he is a jerk. Maybe getting skewered helps build your character?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I love how badly everyone hates Saionji because she's a bully but loving murderers are all good. Sure guys :rolleye:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Acornicus posted:

Yes, because all of the characters in this game are so realistic. :rolleyes:

Touche, but most of the other characters have more than two character traits, and the ones that don't at least have traits that aren't "Is a massive loving rear end in a top hat that nobody ever calls out."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Who What Now posted:

She said something mean to Hinata once, MISANDRY! :byodood:

Seriously, what are you talkin about because I can't think of anything misandrist in this game so far.

I use one word incorrectly and everyone focuses on that instead of the message I was trying to convey.

Since I don't want this to turn into a dumb argument, I'll just go on record as saying that

And More posted:

Sonia is starting to behave a bit off right there:

She seems to think of the others as less than her, she has just been hiding it so far.

this is probably more of an indication how she was raised. It would be interesting if she did secretly have a Togami mindset, but I'm not sure why she'd try to hide it.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I suppose after the gut wrencher the last trial turned out to be, no one thought of subduing Nagito and throwing him into a cell again, and Akane is probably still eager to punch the poo poo out of him if Hinata gives her the word, but... Uh... Maybe the group should be doing SOMETHING about him?

Even if it's just passing along a whispered "hey, NOBODY trust this rear end in a top hat" comment or actively starting a No-Nagitos-Club instead of locking his rear end up, I must question if searching the island and trying to find a way to escape really takes priority over making sure the Nucking Futs guy isn't given freedom to potentially ruin any plans being made...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

this is probably more of an indication how she was raised. It would be interesting if she did secretly have a Togami mindset, but I'm not sure why she'd try to hide it.

Well, she could be planning on killing to escape and just faking everybody out until it's her time to strike. I hope not though, that would be a bit cliche even if Celes hadn't done basically the same thing in the last game.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

GrizzlyCow posted:

Except that when everyone thought it was horrible she pretended someone else did it.

Incidentally, I really liked that little detail - it's exactly the sort of thing a kid like Saionji would probably do in that sort of situation. It also suggests that, deep down, she's just as insecure as Mikan is.

TKMobile posted:

I suppose after the gut wrencher the last trial turned out to be, no one thought of subduing Nagito and throwing him into a cell again, and Akane is probably still eager to punch the poo poo out of him if Hinata gives her the word, but... Uh... Maybe the group should be doing SOMETHING about him?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing myself. Hopefully we'll get some kind of explanation soon.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I use one word incorrectly and everyone focuses on that instead of the message I was trying to convey.

Since I don't want this to turn into a dumb argument, I'll just go on record as saying that

Ok, ignoring the "accidental misuse" of misandry, what exactly was so bad about Koizumi? The only bad thing I can think to say about her is that she was kinda boring, but then again so is Souda.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I love how badly everyone hates Saionji because she's a bully but loving murderers are all good. Sure guys :rolleye:

In other words, as long as there are murderers around to set the bar high, Saionji treating everyone (especially Mikan) like poo poo and acting like a bratty 8 year old is a-ok.

No, I don't think so, while homicide is a lot worse than being a generally terrible person, she's still a generally terrible person, and that's terrible.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing myself. Hopefully we'll get some kind of explanation soon.

Well, he already got out last time. They might just feel there's no point to trying again.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Penakoto posted:

In other words, as long as there are murderers around to set the bar high, Saionji treating everyone (especially Mikan) like poo poo and acting like a bratty 8 year old is a-ok.

No, I don't think so, while homicide is a lot worse than being a generally terrible person, she's still a generally terrible person, and that's terrible.

Yeah Saionji is lovely, I just think it's funny that people love Komaeda for being a horrible gently caress but Saionji is when they go "I just can't suspend my disbelief this character is really mean" Basically 3 of our surviving members so far are asshats but only Saionji gets poo poo when really, she's the least lovely out of them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'd say that's because, while she's comparatibly less of a jerk than both of the other, what makes her a lot less palatable is that the cast never seems to aknowledge she's a pest. Komaeda and Kuzuryuu draw the kind of reactions you'd expect, fear and hatred. Saionji can be as much of a spoiled brat and downright evil at time, especially toward Mikan, and no one seems to bat an eyelid. It can be a bit aggravating.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Iceclaw posted:

I'd say that's because, while she's comparatibly less of a jerk than both of the other, what makes her a lot less palatable is that the cast never seems to aknowledge she's a pest. Komaeda and Kuzuryuu draw the kind of reactions you'd expect, fear and hatred. Saionji can be as much of a spoiled brat and downright evil at time, especially toward Mikan, and no one seems to bat an eyelid. It can be a bit aggravating.

She's like a child though, I mean, they're all the same age but she clearly acts the youngest. I don't really have a problem with her. She's just a bratty little kid who'll probably go through some character development seeing as this chapter started with a bit of that.

E: Also I don't feel bad about Mikan because she's such a steriotypical victim that she could get killed and I'd go, well, okay. She's really boring to me with her, "I'm sorry for breathing" shtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Austrian mook posted:

She's like a child though, I mean, they're all the same age but she clearly acts the youngest. I don't really have a problem with her. She's just a bratty little kid who'll probably go through some character development seeing as this chapter started with a bit of that.

Agreed, she's clearly childish, and it's probably because of her life prior to the game, but having the cast never even bother to tell her to quit it or get the hell out of their face is kind of stretching it. Even moreso when it's a character like Nidai that's left speechless and babbling when she gets petulant. Her behaviour is acceptable, the reactions to it, less so.

• Locked thread