Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
O Rapture
Feb 28, 2007

thehumandignity posted:

Unless you told them to do this, it is the opposite of spergy, it is other people thinking you are cool and knowing you just happen to be a nerd. :toot:

No, I didn't ask them to do that... they wanted to surprise me. I sometimes do C'thulu doodles on their white boards or memos, exhorting them to work harder or be devoured by the Old Ones. (On special occasions I do public prayers to C'thulu.)

It is entirely likely that I'm not playing this thread correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bragging about your underlings making you a Cake'thulu is pretty nerdy don't sweat it

Also, I'm so glad I'm still in my 20s, gently caress

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

Vanilla was the best in terms of raw talent required. :colbert:
Raw talent? You mean raw time available, or ability to herd 39 cats (of which only half need to be competent), and gear farming, sure...talent.

Still spergin'

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I had my first kiss watching Bobs Burgurs. And I think that's rad as gently caress. :smuggo:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

I had my first kiss watching Bobs Burgurs. And I think that's rad as gently caress. :smuggo:

...How old are you?

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
I found these in the store the other day and a dream that 6-year-old me had in the 80's finally found reality.

I poured a little of each one into a bowl. It was like the motherfucking Voltron of breakfast cereals.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
When I was 14, same-aged pretty girl next door we grew up on same street was madly in love with me. She tried more subtle ways of capturing my attention, then at some point started calling me over to her place every night. I went... because she had a 286 (I didn't have my own computer or even NES console) with Tank Wars and some other cool games of the era.
She became more and more frustrated. She had no interest in her computer, at all.

One evening she decided to greet me while wearing nothing but a T-shirt and panties. And asked to sit on my lap. I agreed, and

I decided to teach her QBasic.

She has 2 kids now and is married to some scumbag. Still pretty as a devil. God drat

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

thehumandignity posted:

...How old are you?

18, yeah it took me a while. I was spergy as gently caress through highschool, I'm a lot better now though. I once wrote about 20+ pages of design docs for my own video game, it was basically just a sequel to Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

E: For reference, the bobs burgers thing happened last year.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

This was like a year or two ago so the details might be a little off.

My parents told me I'd love Big Bang theory- they were telling me about a discussion in the show where they wanted to know if Robin would become Batman if Batman died.

I blurted out, "Robin becomes Nightwing, so no".

They rewound the episode on TiVo, and then laughed when they said more or less the same thing on the show.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Austrian mook posted:

18, yeah it took me a while. I was spergy as gently caress through highschool, I'm a lot better now though. I once wrote about 20+ pages of design docs for my own video game, it was basically just a sequel to Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

E: For reference, the bobs burgers thing happened last year.

Hey man no shame. The first girl I kissed was confused about her sexuality for a while, she figured out she was a lesbian years after the fact. Today we both consider it pretty funny and I've been ragged about it a couple of times.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Acquire Currency! posted:

Hey man no shame. The first girl I kissed was confused about her sexuality for a while, she figured out she was a lesbian years after the fact. Today we both consider it pretty funny and I've been ragged about it a couple of times.

Yeah, I spent plenty of time pathetically trying to hook up with this one girl who's now one of my best friends. Life works out pretty strangely sometimes.

E: I actually imitate SA smilies in real life and often curse the lack of a :smuggo: or a :v: or a :getin: when I'm on fb or texting someone.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 25, 2013

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Justin Godscock posted:

I blast the Back to the Future theme on my car stereo while accelerating onto the highway.

No joke.

Huh, this is from last year, but this thread is turning into "poo poo I kind of want to start doing."

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Austrian mook posted:

E: I actually imitate SA smilies in real life and often curse the lack of a :smuggo: or a :v: or a :getin: when I'm on fb or texting someone.

There have been a lot of time when I really wish I had the SA smilies for gchat.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I flew out to Vegas in 2011 to compete in the Laser Quest north american challenge :ocelot:. A few months before that I had never played but tried laser tag out one Saturday night and happened to be in the same match as some regular players. I was invited to try out for the team and everyone seemed cool to hang out with and there you go! The really nerdy part is I am pretty sure I just did so well from being used to playing FPS games and being aware of positioning at all times. You actually do spend a good amount of time every week learning how to coordinate as a team and all of the different things you have to know to be useful in certain parts of the maze. The South Florida LQ is like an 11 hour drive away from the nearest center so we all just practiced with each other and developed a weird play style all our own. We still got whooped and lost the last match we needed to make play offs :(. There are people in that tournament who have been playing for loving 20 years and pull off crazy moves. Also, one of the top teams goes as far as to register their entire team as living in the same house (proved by a utility bill they split) to get around rules that would normally split people up into their regions. You'd be surprised how many fit as hell people there are for every fat nerd stereotype. Surprisingly good cardio to strafe up and down ramps at top speed all the time, I guess.

So, yes, if you have ever had your LQ experience ruined by one of those dudes who seems to be fighting off 6 people at all times that is one of us.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 25, 2013

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Hmm...

First off, I will admit I was that rear end in a top hat who traded cheap cards for rares in the era of pokemon. I got yelled at by like fifteen sets of parents all before I was in high school.

I have several times in my life paused in the middle of sex because a commercial for a game or movie I was spergily excited for came on tv which was on in the background. I have said "hold on I wanna see this..." more than once as well.

When I was in grade school I used to love explaining how to beat games. As in I would sit down in this grade and explain how to beat games they'd never played. Irritating and spoilery. My dad quit playing Super Metroid because he couldn't figure it out and it drove him nuts that I was sitting there bursting at the seams waiting to explain it to him.

I have written twenty different game guides for SNES and N64 games on gamefaqs. Long ones.

There's more but I need a cigarette and more coffee before I start.

community ham boil
Nov 6, 2012

the universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
So here is something I haven't thought about in years: Over summer breaks when I was younger, I would spend the day at my grandma's house with my cousins where we would mostly play video games and watch movies. For some reason, one of my cousins thought it would be the coolest thing to pretend we were at a Nintendo board meeting and we would sit around this coffee table like pretending to be Shigeru Miyamoto and Koji Kondo and whatever other Nintendo people we could think of talking about video games. In retrospect I don't know what Koji Kondo would be doing at a Nintendo board meeting, but we were like ten or eleven so I didn't even know what they did at board meetings anyway. I do remember though whoever was Koji Kondo would have a keyboard with them. So at least we tried to stay in character. When I told this as an offhand story to my boyfriend he laughed at me and told me how stupidly nerdy and weird that was and it was only then that I realised yeah it kind of was.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I was the worst loving sperg in my entire high school.

When I was at home, for basically all of my high school career, I spent practically all of my free time playing MUDs. The only times I wasn't connected to at least one MUD were when my mom needed to make a phone call and/or was expecting a phone call, requiring me to disconnect from the internet (dial-up :arghfist::reject:). I would actually multitask and have multiple MUDs running at the same time and flip between the windows constantly to move around or chat or fight on a bunch of different games simultaneously.

When I was at school, if I was not actively doing classwork, I was reading. It didn't matter what, I went through every single novel in my entire house over those four years at least twice. I just didn't want to actually have to talk to anyone due to the extreme crippling fear of social interaction I had at the time, so I would literally carry a book around at all times and pop it open anytime I was standing still and not actively involved in doing something. If people tried to engage me in conversation I'd reply in monosyllables or not at all. If people sat next to me at lunchtime I would loving get up and move to the nearest empty table (which apparently really hurt some peoples' feelings, still kicking myself over that). I eventually stopped going to lunch entirely and hid in the library for lunch periods, using the library computers to dick around on the Internet or play some old DOS games I had saved to a floppy disk.

I had bunches of people try to befriend me over that time period and I completely blew them the gently caress off, while at the same time privately lamenting how unpopular and lonely I was and how much everyone hated me. I angsted about how undesirable I was to the opposite sex and never approached any of them due to being terrified of rejection despite being approached by multiple girls over the years, all of whom I drove away by being an incredible misanthropic jackass, without ever realizing they were interested. In short, I was a loving idiot.

I'd like to think I have improved a bit. I got completely burned out on MUDs and haven't played one in years. I'm not quite as terrified of human contact as I used to be and can usually hold a conversation. I'm often guilty of popping in headphones and using music as an excuse to never have to talk to anyone around me in public places, but I'm not Monosyllable Man anymore. I actually have a few friends now - not many, but some. I finally had my first kiss when I was 22 and have had a small but non-zero amount of success on the romantic front since then.

I'm still a gigantic dork, though, and probably always will be. I'm just a functioning dork now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I flew out to Vegas in 2011 to compete in the Laser Quest north american challenge :ocelot:. A few months before that I had never played but tried laser tag out one Saturday night and happened to be in the same match as some regular players. I was invited to try out for the team and everyone seemed cool to hang out with and there you go! The really nerdy part is I am pretty sure I just did so well from being used to playing FPS games and being aware of positioning at all times. You actually do spend a good amount of time every week learning how to coordinate as a team and all of the different things you have to know to be useful in certain parts of the maze. The South Florida LQ is like an 11 hour drive away from the nearest center so we all just practiced with each other and developed a weird play style all our own. We still got whooped and lost the last match we needed to make play offs :(. There are people in that tournament who have been playing for loving 20 years and pull off crazy moves. Also, one of the top teams goes as far as to register their entire team as living in the same house (proved by a utility bill they split) to get around rules that would normally split people up into their regions. You'd be surprised how many fit as hell people there are for every fat nerd stereotype. Surprisingly good cardio to strafe up and down ramps at top speed all the time, I guess.

So, yes, if you have ever had your LQ experience ruined by one of those dudes who seems to be fighting off 6 people at all times that is one of us.

curious wtf elite-operator laser tag players look like or what "pulling off crazy moves" looks like I turned to youtube for the answers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERoU-JzsTZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7HSShdNIs

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Watching the first one, I'm waiting for someone to break out into a head slide

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

When I was at school, if I was not actively doing classwork, I was reading. It didn't matter what, I went through every single novel in my entire house over those four years at least twice. I just didn't want to actually have to talk to anyone due to the extreme crippling fear of social interaction I had at the time, so I would literally carry a book around at all times and pop it open anytime I was standing still and not actively involved in doing something. If people tried to engage me in conversation I'd reply in monosyllables or not at all. If people sat next to me at lunchtime I would loving get up and move to the nearest empty table (which apparently really hurt some peoples' feelings, still kicking myself over that). I eventually stopped going to lunch entirely and hid in the library for lunch periods, using the library computers to dick around on the Internet or play some old DOS games I had saved to a floppy disk.

I had bunches of people try to befriend me over that time period and I completely blew them the gently caress off, while at the same time privately lamenting how unpopular and lonely I was and how much everyone hated me. I angsted about how undesirable I was to the opposite sex and never approached any of them due to being terrified of rejection despite being approached by multiple girls over the years, all of whom I drove away by being an incredible misanthropic jackass, without ever realizing they were interested. In short, I was a loving idiot.

What is up, my brother.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MMD3 posted:

curious wtf elite-operator laser tag players look like or what "pulling off crazy moves" looks like I turned to youtube for the answers:

That is the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen. Good lord do they not realize that they look like they're having seizures?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

AlternateAccount posted:

That is the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen. Good lord do they not realize that they look like they're having seizures?

I don't get it at all. This is like two drunk/stoned guys loving around in their living room because they don't have an actual course or other friends to play with. In the second video they have an entire course available and they just stand right up next to each other!

I get that they are just trying to optimize their tactics based on defined rules and the limitations of their gear (specifically how the hit detection systems fit on the body), but who the hell ever thought up the horrible rules that lead to this abomination? Does paintball/airsoft-style competitive laser tag exist? Or is there just no point because people who are serious will play those games instead?

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

MMD3 posted:

You know, I'm sure these guys have legitimately good skills in what they are doing. However, this looks incredibly stupid.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

A mixtape that's nothing but perfume's "one room disco" twelve times in a row

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

A mix CD that was music from Command & Conquer: Red Alert... and Geri Haliwell's It's Raining Men hidden at the end out of shame.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
In High school, long story short, me and a bunch of class mates were hiking through some scrub/long grass, when I suddenly blurted out "This is just like GHOST RECON". Well, the whole group proceeded to mock the hell out of me the entire day. I pretended laughed it off and take it all in my stride, but in reality I was dying inside.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Systematic posted:

In High school, long story short, me and a bunch of class mates were hiking through some scrub/long grass, when I suddenly blurted out "This is just like GHOST RECON". Well, the whole group proceeded to mock the hell out of me the entire day. I pretended laughed it off and take it all in my stride, but in reality I was dying inside.

Similarly, I rate all landscapes by how much they make me feel like I'm in a) STALKER or b) Morrowind. And I'm loooong out of high school.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

After looking at the first one, I thought it might be less goofy without the screaming nu-metal soundtrack, but after hearing the live audio from the second one, I realized I was wrong. Hearing the "pew! pew! pew!" in addition to the "Awwwwwwwwwwww! YEAH! Ooooooooooh!" from the spectators is even more awkward.

Porkins
Nov 28, 2007

I'm right with you

MMD3 posted:

I went to a laser tag..arena(?) for my friends 13th birthday. While going over the rules the referee mentioned that a national top player would be playing with us for a couple rounds. He pointed over to a man in his late 20s to early 30s in the corner of the room. He was doing that leaning against the wall thing with arms folded and head down that you see cowboys or whoever do in movies. He even had a hat deliberately pulled down to hide his face, which he tipped at us as he was introduced. I can't remember if he did moves like that, but he handily beat people less than half his age with his skills.

content: My friend and I used to sync watching movies while playing Everquest so we could quote each other the best lines as they happened. When I say movies, I only mean Star Wars and Hot Shots Part Duex. Everyday.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bart Fargo posted:

After looking at the first one, I thought it might be less goofy without the screaming nu-metal soundtrack, but after hearing the live audio from the second one, I realized I was wrong. Hearing the "pew! pew! pew!" in addition to the "Awwwwwwwwwwww! YEAH! Ooooooooooh!" from the spectators is even more awkward.

I don't know if it's the equipment that laser tag chain is using but that kind of dueling is hilarious. LQ has sensors on the front, back, shoulders and on the sides and front of the laser itself. If someone if jumping up and down like that you would just nail them in the front immediately. I play one handed since it allows you way more flexibility with using cover and dealing with multiple opponents. It's a team game at the competitive level so you will see tactics from each team that play to the strengths of each player. I was paired with a teammate my last tournament to rotate around the maze and concentrate on punishing players for bad positioning and awareness, since we both had great aim and movement.

Also stomping kids is a great way to be shunned by the community. Most of us play with fun handicaps in a public match (limited lives, packs we know are awful) and if we hear about someone preying on kids we make a point to get in a match with them and roll them (shoot them so many times our scores reset) until they leave in shame. So there's some words about laser quest for you.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
I always thought awesome-scale modern/advanced laser-tag could be a really awesome thing.

An elaborate multi-floor building design for adults-only play with traps, turrets, different guns with "ammo" that you can grab off the walls. Suits independent of the guns, range between players being tracked somehow so different guns can have range and accuracy limitations simulated- and visible beams instead of IR. Grenades could be like those Goa'uld things, rolled across the floor. There could be areas with extremely low visibility created by having the foggers on the ceiling, just all sorts of cool stuff.

Think about it: Laser Tag as we know it was invented before RFID became cheap. Before advanced computer algorithms could track stuff in a camera's view. So much potential.

So seeing that makes me sad because you couldn't make the concept more fuckoff lame.

Which is more spergy, imagining an amazing laser tag game or knowing how to spell Goa'uld off the top of your head?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Similarly, I rate all landscapes by how much they make me feel like I'm in a) STALKER or b) Morrowind. And I'm loooong out of high school.

My favorite game is Fallout: New Vegas. My boyfriend had to bear all of my jokes when I had a layover in Las Vegas airport. I was walking around remarking that NCR don't know how to make a good breakfast bagel and I didn't see any signs of Fiend activity.

Luckily he loves New Vegas too so at least he thought they were funny. :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I always wanted round based laser tag. You get 1 go, once you're dead, you're out. And each side spawns there and has to protect their "flag" which is a player on the team who hides in their base who, if shot results in immediate death. :getin:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
^^^ There's a game mode I've played a few times where each tower in the maze has its own pack that their team has to protect. Pack with the most lives left wins when the timer is out (usually a half hour). When you are shot you head back to your tower and have a 15 second respawn time. Pretty cool since you have to really stagger squads or else you all get wiped and your base is overrun.

Diet Lime posted:

Which is more spergy, imagining an amazing laser tag game or knowing how to spell Goa'uld off the top of your head?

Yes ;)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When I was still courting my girlfriend, she and her friend jokingly dared me to write Harry pottery/dobby slashfic and post it on heir neighbors door. I was drunk and wrote a long erotic tail that was frankly disgusting beyond description. I'll do anything for love!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
When I was younger, I had so many bad obscure quotes and would use them all the time, even when they didn't make sense.
Quite frequently I would say something nobody would understand and they would all exchange glances, and I would pretend I didn't see what they were doing behind my back. Luckily I dropped the habit and only quote good movies and well known quotes, or inside jokes, and I establish these quotes days earlier before I use them.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

alexh9624 posted:

Luckily I dropped the habit and only quote good movies and well known quotes, or inside jokes, and I establish these quotes days earlier before I use them.

You might want to drop this habit as well. Conversations don't need a bunch of well timed "zingers" or quotes.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

CannedMacabre posted:

You might want to drop this habit as well. Conversations don't need a bunch of well timed "zingers" or quotes.

Don't listen to this guy. It's smart to set up your sayings in advance. Lots of comedians make their living doing exactly that.

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008

Diet Lime posted:

I always thought awesome-scale modern/advanced laser-tag could be a really awesome thing.

An elaborate multi-floor building design for adults-only play with traps, turrets, different guns with "ammo" that you can grab off the walls. Suits independent of the guns, range between players being tracked somehow so different guns can have range and accuracy limitations simulated- and visible beams instead of IR. Grenades could be like those Goa'uld things, rolled across the floor. There could be areas with extremely low visibility created by having the foggers on the ceiling, just all sorts of cool stuff.

Think about it: Laser Tag as we know it was invented before RFID became cheap. Before advanced computer algorithms could track stuff in a camera's view. So much potential.

So seeing that makes me sad because you couldn't make the concept more fuckoff lame.

The "Goa'uld things" are called "Tok'kal" :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I almost wrote a fanfiction.

I decided not to because fanfiction.net did not enable HTML formatting.

• Locked thread