Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The only real reason you should get it physical is if you want to take advantage of the +30% trade in towards a pokemon themed 3DSXL at gamestop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So I just picked up a 3ds xl. Got the white one with Mario land as getting the white one on its own over in the UK is a pain.

Is there any must haves that I can pick up on the cheap? I'm thinking of picking up the Zelda game for it at some stage to finally play a zelda game.

Edit: Is the animal crossing promotion thing still on?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Batman Arkham Blackgate is also out in October.

EDIT: Pokemon, AA5 and Batman are out this month in both regions. Etrian Odyssey Untold and Rune Factory 4 are NA-only.

Regular Show: 8-Bit Land may or may not be a late October game, I forget.

Oh yeah, I think Sonic Lost World is an October game, too. The 3DS version is a proper 3D game this time, unlike Generations.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

gilljoy posted:

Yes! You've got a week to grab a code from somewhere.

Unfortunately I don't have one for you as the lovely Nintendo UK site wouldn't let me finish the survey in time.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

gilljoy posted:

So I just picked up a 3ds xl. Got the white one with Mario land as getting the white one on its own over in the UK is a pain.

Is there any must haves that I can pick up on the cheap? I'm thinking of picking up the Zelda game for it at some stage to finally play a zelda game.

Here: [Code was here]

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 30, 2013

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Thanks very much, hopefully when my 3ds arrives I can use that, can't register it at the moment :(

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh, well, write it down somewhere and edit it out so no one else grabs it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Onean posted:

How far have you played? It felt easier to me as well, but that was most likely due to having higher level and better equipped characters to start with. Classic mode is basically a remake of EO1, so you'll be starting with level 1 party members and minimal equipment, so it should be more difficult.

Up through the first boss, that camel-y thing. It was the only fight that demanded more than hitting Auto, and even then I got two tooltips saying "It's weak to fire!" and also "You should really bind it's head!" (Spoilered in case, like me, you don't want to be told.)

Thanks for answering my questions, by the way.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I think I'll throw my lot in with SMT IV because Atlus's games have a habit of disappearing immediately. Whereas I think I'll be able to find a copy of Fire Emblem later. But then again it seems like not many people are "snatching" them up.

Edit: VVV Thanks for the tip man.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 30, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

FauxGateau posted:

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I think I'll throw my lot in with SMT IV because Atlus's games have a habit of disappearing immediately. Whereas I think I'll be able to find a copy of Fire Emblem later. But then again it seems like not many people are "snatching" them up.

You might want to know that SMT IV is also $10 off on the eShop until October 14th, which is at least a bit cheaper than what Amazon's is currently going for.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Gamestop is doing a 2-for-$10 sale on pre-owned games; the full list is here but I'll save you the trouble of combing through for non-shovelware 3/DS games:

3DS:
Dream Trigger (okay I still don't know what the gently caress this game even is)
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver

DS:
Clubhouse Games
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Nintendogs x4
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Rhythm Heaven

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Ok everyone nows your chance. Get 10 copies of Rhythm Heaven for only 50 dollars!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Posting to say that if you care about card games or classic board games then get Clubhouse games because that poo poo rules.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Shadow Wars is worth :10bux: alone. I guess Pilotwings would be a bonus? Golden Sun isn't all that good from what I've heard.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I paid $5 for Pilotwings and enjoyed it enough to be ok with that. It's not an amazing game but the free roam/timed collectibles mode is pretty cool.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

The Machine posted:

Posting to say that if you care about card games or classic board games then get Clubhouse games because that poo poo rules.

I'm also recommending this. I'm an overall sucker of the casual games, and Clubhouse Games is the very first DS game that I ever bought. It plays very well, and is a well-played break from the SMT IV's, the Animal Crossings, and other heavily involving games.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sarchasm posted:

Up through the first boss, that camel-y thing. It was the only fight that demanded more than hitting Auto, and even then I got two tooltips saying "It's weak to fire!" and also "You should really bind it's head!" (Spoilered in case, like me, you don't want to be told.)

Keep going for a bit longer and jump into the actual Labyrinth. The difficulty will pick up a bit in there once you start exploring the second floor. If you want a decent challenge try taking out the FOE just before the demo ends. I gave it a couple half-assed tries and gave up so I could go back to EO4. Stupid Insatiable Pupa, having a second form. Now I'm leveling my other 5 guildmates (and getting more money and drops for the armor and weapons/forging) so I can try and put together a better party since apparently the max level one I've been using all game just won't cut it for that boss or the dragons. :argh:

I'm okay about the hints for the boss, as long as it's only on that one. I vaguely remember the developers saying that the Story mode was meant to ease players new to the series into the games. Cluing the new players in to the fact that bosses do have weaknesses and they should be exploiting them, rather than grinding levels to brute force the fight, is a good thing as long as they don't keep holding your hands for too long.

quote:

Thanks for answering my questions, by the way.

Not a problem. :)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

For the X&Y digital release, is it yet known how large it will be? I have whatever the default XL card is (4gigs I think?), that should be plenty right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Yes it is. It's only $30 though. It'll be nice not having to go anywhere and to just download AA5 and Pokemon Y and have them ready for the weekend. AA5 comes out on what, a Thursday? And you can download Pokemon at 12:01am Saturday.

How big is AA gonna be if it's digital only? I think I have slightly under 2GB on my card.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Canadian posted:

For the X&Y digital release, is it yet known how large it will be? I have whatever the default XL card is (4gigs I think?), that should be plenty right?

It's around 1.7GB, from memory. They did list a figure somewhere, maybe even the official website.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm gonna get X on cart because they always break street date on the big games in the Middle East so I'll probably get it before the download is up :cool:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
It is 1.7 GB: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=208909. It's hard to see on the actual image, but it's on the top-right of the card.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Machine posted:

It's one of those games I really wish I still had because it's such a great way to pass a few minutes. Or hours. It has a clock showing at all times for a reason.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How big is AA gonna be if it's digital only? I think I have slightly under 2GB on my card.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Class-Memory-SF32UY-TQMN/dp/B00B7ID99I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380525584&sr=8-4&keywords=sdhc+32gig

Come on, dude!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't like buying 3DS games digitally :/ In this case there's no other option and I have $30 credit for SMT4+FE so why not.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo Direct! October 1, 7AM PDT, covers both 3DS and WU.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
(I'd meant to update this post ever week, but it's been over a month since the last one. Oops! Games released since the last update: Inazuma Eleven 3 (PAL), SMT Soul Hackers (PAL), Scribblenauts Unmasked (NA), Hakuoki: Date Androgynous Samurai (NA), a few VC games.)

NA is getting two big RPGs this week: Rune Factory 4 and Etrian Odyssey Untold (EO1 remake), both on October 1. Both are getting a retail/digital release, and there's a EOU demo on the eShop that lets you transfer your data to the full game. Think you can beat 'em both before Pokemon?

PAL-land is finally getting the digital version of Rhythm Thief on the eShop this week, but that's pretty much it. No word on what NA's getting, as per usual.

quote:

3DS
    Etrian Odyssey IV - out now! (everywhere*)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers - out now! (everywhere)
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - out now! (PAL/NA*)
    Inazuma Eleven 3: Lightning Bolt / Bomb Blast - out now! (PAL) / TBA (NA)
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 - out now! (NA) / "summer" (PAL)
    Rune Factory 4 - October 1 (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl - October 1 (NA*) / "summer" (PAL)
    Pokemon X / Y - October 12 (NA/PAL)
    Sonic Lost World - October 18 (EU) / October 19 (AU) / October 29 (NA)
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies - October 24 (NA/PAL)
    Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - October 25 (NA/PAL)
    Regular Show: Mordecai and Rigby in 8-bit Land - October 29 (NA) / November 8 (EU) / November 12 (AU)
    Hometown Story - October 31 (NA) / "Q1 2014" (PAL)
    Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies - November 8 (EU) / November 9 (AU) / "2014" (NA)
    Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! - November 12 (NA) / November 15 (PAL)
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - November 22 (NA) / "November" (PAL)
    Mario Party 3DS - November 22 (NA) / TBD (PAL)
    Bravely Default - "2013" (PAL) / "2014" (NA)
    Mario Golf: World Tour - "2014" (NA/PAL)
    Yoshi's New Island - "2014" (NA/PAL)
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - "2014" (NA/PAL)

*demo available
3DS eSHOP SOFTWARE
    Picross e-3 - "October" (PAL/NA)
    Flipnote 3D - who the gently caress knows (PAL/NA)
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - "fall 2013" (everywhere)
    Shovel Knight - "winter 2013" (everywhere)
    Treasurenauts - "December" (everywhere)
    SteamWorld Dig - out now! (everywhere)
    Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale - out now! (everywhere)
    Kokuga - out now! (everywhere)
    Starship Damrey - out now! (everywhere)
    Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves - out now! (everywhere*)
    Mighty Switch Force 2 - out now! (everywhere)
    Bugs vs. Tanks - out now! (everywhere)
    3D Altered Beast - "soon" (everywhere)
    3D Ecco the Dolphin - "soon" (everywhere)
    3D Galaxy Force 2 - "soon" (everywhere)
    3D Shinobi - "soon" (everywhere)
    3D Sonic the Hedgehog - "soon" (everywhere)
    3D Space Harrier - "soon" (everywhere)
    3D Streets of Rage - "soon" (everywhere)
    3D Super Hang-On - "soon" (everywhere)

*demo available
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - "2013" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Summer Carnival '92 Recca (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Solomon's Key (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Milon's Secret Castle (NES) - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Tecmo Bowl (NES) - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Wario Land 3 (GBC) - out now! (everywhere)
    Star Soldier (NES) - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Summer Carnival '92 Recca (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    River City Ransom / Street Gangs (NES) - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Shantae (Game Boy Color) - out now! (NA/PAL)]

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 30, 2013

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012
Looks like we have a new Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 7 a.m. PT/ 10 a.m. Eastern. It will be talking about new details for 3DS and WiiU games that coming out later on this year.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Dumb question but does the 3DS XL play well with micro-SD cards in a SD-sized adapter or should I just buy a simple SD card instead?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sober posted:

Dumb question but does the 3DS XL play well with micro-SD cards in a SD-sized adapter or should I just buy a simple SD card instead?

I've heard mixed things about micro-SD adapters, it's probably just safer to use plain old SD card.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
O haven't had a full sized sd card since woot started clearancing off 2gb microSD cards for $5 in 2009.

You'll be fine.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SgtKirby posted:

Looks like we have a new Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 7 a.m. PT/ 10 a.m. Eastern. It will be talking about new details for 3DS and WiiU games that coming out later on this year.
So I guess it wont be covering new titles then, just more in-depth footage of Pokemon and Mario 3D World and etc.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Is this the card that most people are getting? I know others were talking about a different brand last week at around the same price. Probably going to order a new card today (finally! I've had 1 block of free memory since I downloaded Monster Hunter :P).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Machine posted:

Is this the card that most people are getting? I know others were talking about a different brand last week at around the same price. Probably going to order a new card today (finally! I've had 1 block of free memory since I downloaded Monster Hunter :P).

I purchased the one from the newegg.com link a few pages back. I got 15% off, a $5 mail in rebate after I get the thing, and free two day shipping (part of the free 30 day trial which I probably won't continue) and, not counting the mail in rebate, cost me like $15 for 32 gigs. PNY I think.

The same one on Amazon was at least $20.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do the Picross e games ever get more challenging? I got the first one and it's way too easy even on the hardest puzzles. If 2 and 3 are harder, I'll snag them, but I was pretty disappointed by the first.

(And why isn't there Picross 3DS?)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo of America posted:

Please note that the Nintendo #eShop will be undergoing maintenance this afternoon from 1 – 5 PM PT.

Is this normal? I'm pretty sure the maintenance period is usually Thursday

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Getting my hopes up about River City Ransom in the US was mean. :argh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dehry posted:

Is this normal? I'm pretty sure the maintenance period is usually Thursday

Oh, man, this is it! We are getting Miiverse!

...maybe?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are there any rumors of a game+3ds xl bundle on the horizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Summer Festival 92 Recca is on the 3DS VC list twice.

• Locked thread