Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Xenomrph posted:

Seconding this question. Also I still wear my Manos kickstarter shirt all the time. :smug:

Me too :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I've lost around 70 pounds since I signed up for the kickstarter, so my shirt is gigantic. I got rid of most of my fat man clothes, but I use it as my pajama shirt because I can't bear to let it go.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

There's no way there aren't enough festivals and film nerds in San Francisco to bring it here. I'll fire off a few emails on Manos' behalf when I have time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I once went to Rocky Horror where the print was so damaged it had several bits missing- like an entire verse of "Dammit, Janet" for one.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hey Ben, I mentioned the restoration to the programmer at The Coolidge Corner Theater in Boston. We do a midnight series that I am pretty sure Manos would be great for. He seemed interested.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Geekboy posted:

I've lost around 70 pounds since I signed up for the kickstarter, so my shirt is gigantic. I got rid of most of my fat man clothes, but I use it as my pajama shirt because I can't bear to let it go.
Congrats on losing all that weight, I'm working on the same thing. :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Congrats on losing all that weight, I'm working on the same thing. :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Good luck! Prepare for another couple years of feeling like you're wearing a giant, ill-fitting skin suit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So the Rifftrax kickstarter backers who wanted the digital release for Starship Troopers got the Manos live show this week, and something interesting was changed for it...the complete removal of anything related to Manos 2. :toot: The twitter did say it goign to be out for everyone soon, so it very likely that dumb trailer at the end that caused the live show hold up.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rirse posted:

So the Rifftrax kickstarter backers who wanted the digital release for Starship Troopers got the Manos live show this week, and something interesting was changed for it...the complete removal of anything related to Manos 2. :toot: The twitter did say it goign to be out for everyone soon, so it very likely that dumb trailer at the end that caused the live show hold up.

Did they get rid of the lame comedy segment or just the trailer?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

gfanikf posted:

Did they get rid of the lame comedy segment or just the trailer?

I don't have the VoD of it yet (this is all coming from the Rifftrax thread), but they completely remove anything related to it, including anything that even shows the actors

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rirse posted:

I don't have the VoD of it yet (this is all coming from the Rifftrax thread), but they completely remove anything related to it, including anything that even shows the actors

That's probably gonna make for some awkward edits during the "host" portions of the event.

Oh well, good riddance to that fuckstick. :unsmigghh:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Ballz posted:

That's probably gonna make for some awkward edits during the "host" portions of the event.

Honestly I didn't even notice the edits and had completely forgotten about that segment.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Rirse posted:

Completely divorced of any animosity or distaste of the Manos 2 project or any people associated with it:

Good. When I saw the Rifftrax Manos show at the theater I thought all of that stuff felt out of place and wasn't especially funny. Just really awkward overall.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 16, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ballz posted:

Indeed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ballz posted:

Honestly, you don't even notice. I forgot all about those parts until someone mentioned them in the thread.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, you don't even notice. I forgot all about those parts until someone mentioned them in the thread.

For some reason I thought there was more than just the bit at the beginning and at the end. I guess that does make for pretty easy cut points. I just took a quick check on my copy and yeah, you'd never notice. Good job, RT crew. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ballz posted:

For some reason I thought there was more than just the bit at the beginning and at the end. I guess that does make for pretty easy cut points. I just took a quick check on my copy and yeah, you'd never notice. Good job, RT crew. :)

There was the Torgo's Pizza bit with guys who were in the stage show, and the stuff at the end with the Manos 2 cast. I can understand why the Manos 2 stuff got cut, but I'm a bit surprised they removed the other bit, since that's a different project.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nope, the "Torgo's Pizza" bit was still the Manos 2 guys, with Rupert Munch cosplaying as Torgo.

Edit: I dunno if the guy playing The Master was a member of the stage show or not, but Torgo was definitely Rupert.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
I've enjoyed rewatching the Rifftrax Live show, but I can't really share any unique insight into why certain things were omitted. The editing was pretty seamless, to the point where you wouldn't know the sequel plug had ever been part of the plan for the evening. One can still spot Diane pretty well in the audience at the end, as well as part of Bryan Jennings' head (they are the group that you can hear cheering whenever Bryan's father, who played the Sheriff, appears onscreen.)

Sad news this week, as the entire west wall of the old "Manos" set has apparently caved in. Here's a picture that an acquaintance on Facebook posted:

Better news, as graphic designer Garrett McDonald has formed an alliance with our fundraising store to offer his awesome 2-color screen print for sale in time for Halloween. If we can sell out our limited edition of 125, we will officially have enough funds for a 35mm negative plus film-out, and I can get it made before the cost of manufacturing prints rises to prohibitive levels (as it is slowly, but surely doing).

Here's an image one of our partners took of Tom and Jackey recording their feature-length commentary up in Oregon. As Jackey has recently been sharing on her blog more details about how they spent many years apart, this picture means a lot to me. I'm editing the commentary now for the disc, and am finding it a treat to hear Tom watch it for the first time in decades, occasionally pausing in his stories to say things like "Oh lord... this is really bad".

This coming month, our DCP is going to screen at both the Back Alley Film Series in Charlotte, North Carolina, and The Music Box in Chicago on the 19th and 25th, respectively.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I love that poster to death. Kudos to the original artist, and I'm more than happy to help get you a little bit closer to that 35mm negative. :)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm planning on being at the Chicago viewing. I'm very excited at how things have progressed. :)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm planning on being at the Chicago viewing. I'm very excited at how things have progressed. :)

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Ben Solo posted:

This coming month, our DCP is going to screen at both the Back Alley Film Series in Charlotte, North Carolina, and The Music Box in Chicago on the 19th and 25th, respectively.

Of course you're doing a screening 10 days after I move from Chicago to Oregon. I think you already did one near Portland, but are there any plans to head back that way again?

I also need to remember to update my Kickstarter with my new address so I can get my eventual Blu-Ray sent to the right place.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Geekboy posted:

Of course you're doing a screening 10 days after I move from Chicago to Oregon. I think you already did one near Portland, but are there any plans to head back that way again?

You might have to wait a few months, but we are definitely coming back that way again. With Jackey living nearby, there's no reason we can't do more special events in the Pacific Northwest.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Ben Solo posted:

occasionally pausing in his stories to say things like "Oh lord... this is really bad".

I know that I probably have nothing to worry about, but I really hope that these make it into the final edit of the commentary track.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Ben Solo posted:

You might have to wait a few months, but we are definitely coming back that way again. With Jackey living nearby, there's no reason we can't do more special events in the Pacific Northwest.

I wish you'd come a few hours south of Chicago. Springfield, IL... Champaign/Urbana... St. Louis even. I'd love to see Manos on the big screen, but a 5 hour drive north is a bit much.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ben Solo posted:

I hope you come to San Francisco too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Planning on hitting Boston?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
How about Eau Claire? This place is packed with hipsters and others who'd fill Micon Cinemas for a night of Manos. The guy who owns those theatres does special shows all the time.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Received and just framed the 2-color Manos screenprint. Still haven't decided where I'm going to hang it just yet, but again I gotta say it's a fantastic poster and would be great as the movie's Blu-Ray cover art.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Screen print arrived here as well! It's very nicely done. I wasn't expecting the paper to be so sturdy.

As you can see, it still has a bit of a curl after being flattened for a few days, so I think I'm going to be investing in a frame tonight. The colors are gorgeous.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

We are having our first overseas screening this Sunday, at the Night Visions Festival in Helsinki, Finland. I'm just as surprised as anyone that Finland jumped on it first, and I really wish I could be there to see how the crowd will take it. Further international screenings have been booked in Denmark and Germany. None of the three have requested subtitles- the power of Cinema, and of really simple dialogue, has apparently been enough to cross the language gap.

The Music Box added two more midnight showings this weekend (Nov 1-2) in Chicago. Though I won't be there, I can still have tickets set aside for backers of any level.

pwn posted:

How about Eau Claire? This place is packed with hipsters and others who'd fill Micon Cinemas for a night of Manos. The guy who owns those theatres does special shows all the time.

While I send along my fair share of press releases to the theaters that are pointed out to me (including this one) I can't emphasize enough that almost all of our screenings so far have been due to people recommending the film to their favorite theater in person, over e-mail, or on Facebook. Small theaters do listen to their audiences, which is why I wanted to go that route first before putting the film on Tugg, Gathr, or some other distribution platform.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This dude seems pretty pissed off at you.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was just coming here to ask what's up with the blu-ray myself.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

While I'm not nearly at the same point of anger and frustration as that guy, I definitely have been thinking along similar lines. It's great that all of these screenings have been happening, but it's been a long time and we still have no idea when the blu-rays are coming.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
TBH, I've recently been thinking the same thing too... BUT my internal dialogue is always the same: I've seen the movie many many times before, and I'm not waiting on some big payoff, so I don't really care WHEN it comes out, as long as it EVENTUALLY comes out.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

This dude seems pretty pissed off at you.

What an insanely terrible echo chamber.

I have always assumed that the longer it took, the better the features and such will be (since Ben talked extensively about them previous updates, though not as much in the more recent ones), but then again I was mostly giving my $50 so this thing could exist, not so I could get something tangible out of it.

Which is what I thought Kickstarter was for ...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've generally been cutting Ben a lot of slack because I do think the whole striking-a-new-35mm-print thing is really cool even if it wasn't what the fundraiser was initially for.

Booking that print for screenings in Finland before we even have a release date, however, seems pretty sketchy. I'm not clamoring for a refund or anything, and I trust (I hope) that I will get the DVD eventually, but I definitely understand why some people are pissed off.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I've generally been cutting Ben a lot of slack because I do think the whole striking-a-new-35mm-print thing is really cool even if it wasn't what the fundraiser was initially for.

Booking that print for screenings in Finland before we even have a release date, however, seems pretty sketchy. I'm not clamoring for a refund or anything, and I trust (I hope) that I will get the DVD eventually, but I definitely understand why some people are pissed off.

Well, the restoration print is done and Ben has it, so I imagine he has greater control over getting it screened. The DVD/Blu Ray release is being handled by Synapse and is getting additional features and content put together for it. At this point I'd figure it's in Synapse's hands as to when it comes out, not Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: never mind ^

• Locked thread