Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

ComicRack is for pirated comics, hence "for obvious reasons."

Wait, what? Are you saying teagone doesn't pay for his comic books?

teagone, is this true? Do you steal comic books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Wait, what? Are you saying teagone doesn't pay for his comic books?

Hey man, information wants to be free.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Hey man, information wants to be free.

Talk Like A Pirate Day was like a week ago.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RZA Encryption posted:

Nope. Not true at all. I go to my local comic book shop and buy comics from there.

dwayne_dibbley
Nov 26, 2005
The 16GB Nexus 10 is on sale in my country for the equivalent of around 273 US dollars.

Is it worth buying? I don't really know what I would actually use it for, is this price low enough to get one and just play around with it?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

dwayne_dibbley posted:

The 16GB Nexus 10 is on sale in my country for the equivalent of around 273 US dollars.

Is it worth buying? I don't really know what I would actually use it for, is this price low enough to get one and just play around with it?

That's by far and away the best price I've seen on that tablet in the states. Which country are you in?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Vinlaen posted:

I have a Nook HD+ running CM 10.1 but it's awfully sluggish. I'm going to try 10.2 a try but 10.1 is quite laggy even swiping through homescreens, etc.

It's sluggish because you're using an underpowered device.

dwayne_dibbley
Nov 26, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

That's by far and away the best price I've seen on that tablet in the states. Which country are you in?

Switzerland. It's a two week sale, I guess to get rid of old stock before the new Nexus 10 is announced.

http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/jproduct/Tablets/898466/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_Nexus_10_-_WiFi_16GB/detail.jsf

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
That's what would put me off. It seems nice now, maybe not so much when superior hardware shows up.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

1st AD posted:

It's sluggish because you're using an underpowered device.

I just got my HD+ up an running on CM 10.1 and was depressed to realize it seems faster than my N7 2012. Certainly underpowered compared to the N10 or N7 2013, but for $110 for a 9" 1920x1280 screen I'm thrilled with it as a PDF reader.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

dwayne_dibbley posted:

Switzerland. It's a two week sale, I guess to get rid of old stock before the new Nexus 10 is announced.

http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/jproduct/Tablets/898466/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_Nexus_10_-_WiFi_16GB/detail.jsf

I check slickdeals quite often and the lowest i've seen is $330. $273 is quite the bargain.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

dwayne_dibbley posted:

There will probably be a nicer one for $400 available in like 2 months. Nexus devices hold value like iPhones so worst case you can sell it for what you paid for it if not more. If you have interest go for it. FYI there is a used one on Swappa for $280

http://swappa.com/listing/GTJ260/view

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Shame that store doesn't ship outside Switzerland, that's one hell of a deal.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Those of you who upgraded to a 2013 N7 from a 2012 one, what did you do with your old one? The screen on mine is a little scratched, so it's probably not worth the effort of selling.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Sold mine on Kijiji for half the price of a new one, I actually had it sold with cash in hand in under an hour. I didn't charge extra for the case, since the glue in the drat Treegloo case was starting to disintegrate. I didn't even have that case for a year... Actually I would have had it for a year, but it took them 3 months to ship it too me.

Don't buy Treegloo cases.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

Those of you who upgraded to a 2013 N7 from a 2012 one, what did you do with your old one? The screen on mine is a little scratched, so it's probably not worth the effort of selling.

I gave mine to MY GIRLFRIEND'S grandma to replace HP Touchpad we gave her a while ago.

She loves it & it's put to good use. Give yours to a relative.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Geektox posted:

Sold mine to Amazon (or one of their vendors, but it was Amazon's buyback program) for an embarrassingly low amount because I didn't have the original power cable anymore, and it was a 8GB model. If yours is a 16GB or a 32GB, you can try getting a better price from Amazon or checking around Craigslist maybe and see if you could get any bites.

dwayne_dibbley
Nov 26, 2005

seravid posted:

Shame that store doesn't ship outside Switzerland, that's one hell of a deal.

Just been to 4 stores, they were sold out and they then told me that there is no stock in the whole city ... Oh well.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Sorry to hear that :/

In other news, my N7 2013 turned itself off overnight. Is there any way to check what caused it? The battery was fully charged but it seems to have lost 10% during the blackout.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
So, for anyone that's considering a Portenzo BookCase for their 2013 Nexus: At least with my Qi chargers, I cannot manage to get it to work when the tablet is in the case. It's not a huge problem, as the charging port is still easily accessible, but if you're the type who must go with wireless charging, it's good to know beforehand.

I'm using the Energizer Qi charging pads that were popular around the Nexus 4 launch, for reference.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I don't recall what thread it was in that someone suggested Nova Launcher, but it has really improved my experience. I had written 3rd party launchers off as a relic of the past, but it's been pretty transparent and added a lot of features I had been wishing for.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Geektox posted:

If you wanted to dump it for cheap, I might consider getting it to use as a home theater remote. My Logitech 890 is dying, and I need something that isn't IR, since all my gear is in a rack in my basement. Thinking I'd pick up one of those Harmony wifi repeaters and use a tablet as my remote. I could even use it for Chromecasting.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Could someone who has a Nook HD+ comment on how long the charging cable is please?

With them being down to £129 I think I'm going to order one in the morning unless I can find something better or I read something particularly negative for that price. The cable not being standard micro-usb and being rarer than rocking horse poo poo to replace is my main concern.

Most of my gaming is at the more casual (Kairosoft, Mobage etc) end of the market rather than any meaty Gameloft fps' etc and the res/size looks perfect for reading books/pdf's etc.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Fazana posted:

Could someone who has a Nook HD+ comment on how long the charging cable is please?

With them being down to £129 I think I'm going to order one in the morning unless I can find something better or I read something particularly negative for that price. The cable not being standard micro-usb and being rarer than rocking horse poo poo to replace is my main concern.

Most of my gaming is at the more casual (Kairosoft, Mobage etc) end of the market rather than any meaty Gameloft fps' etc and the res/size looks perfect for reading books/pdf's etc.

I just measured mine and it is about 5ft.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I just measured mine and it is about 5ft.

Thanks, that's more than long enough. Was just checking it wasn't something daft like 2ft or so. Ordering one right now!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Refurbished Nook HD+'s on ebay. 16gb for $120 and 32gb for $135.
http://slickdeals.net/f/6312978-barnes-noble-nook-hd-32gb-refurbished-1yr-usa-warr-sealed-134-49-fs-16gb-hd-refurbished-119-fs-ebay

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Last Nook HD+ question for now, I promise! It looks like I need to root it asap if I want to play Puzzle&Dragons etc, I'm going to use the instructions helpfully linked a few pages ago to install CM 10.1 but one thing I've not seen an answer to yet is...

Will I lose everything already on it or does it "merely" swap out the OS for another and all the apps and savefiles etc will still be there? If it wipes then I guess I have a trip to the nearest store selling a micro-sd card much earlier in my future.

Thanks!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
While we're talking cases, what do people think of Dodocase's Nexus cases?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fazana posted:

Last Nook HD+ question for now, I promise! It looks like I need to root it asap if I want to play Puzzle&Dragons etc, I'm going to use the instructions helpfully linked a few pages ago to install CM 10.1 but one thing I've not seen an answer to yet is...

Will I lose everything already on it or does it "merely" swap out the OS for another and all the apps and savefiles etc will still be there? If it wipes then I guess I have a trip to the nearest store selling a micro-sd card much earlier in my future.

Thanks!

Depends on if you install onto the emmc or onto the MicroSD card. If you install onto the eMMC it'll wipe everything, if you install onto the MicroSD it'll only write/boot onto the card.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

1st AD posted:

Depends on if you install onto the emmc or onto the MicroSD card. If you install onto the eMMC it'll wipe everything, if you install onto the MicroSD it'll only write/boot onto the card.

From what I'd read here and elsewhere replacing the B&N based OS completely was the best idea so I'll nip out and buy a micro-sd card as soon as the courier has been and I've registered the device for its warranty.

Thanks for the info, saved me playing around with some apps etc and then losing it all at the weekend which was the original plan to root it.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

While we're talking cases, what do people think of Dodocase's Nexus cases?

I have the Dodocase Solid for my Nexus 7 2013 and it's a good bit of kit. I don't like the way it props open though, you really need to have it resting against something to stay upright. Also the "auto turning on" is a little touchy for me, but I haven't tried moving the Nexus around inside the case. It's well made and looks great though, but if you want to use it for anything other than a pretty case there has to be a better solution.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fazana posted:

Thanks, that's more than long enough. Was just checking it wasn't something daft like 2ft or so. Ordering one right now!

I don't get why manufacturers toss in such short-as-gently caress cords with their products, I literally cannot use my nexus 7 while its charging because the cord just barely reaches my desktop from the power strip directly below it. I cannot wait to get a Qi pad so I don't accidentally rip the plug out of the thing when I absentmindedly grab it to watch netflix and yank the drat powerstrip along for the ride.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

mr. stefan posted:

I don't get why manufacturers toss in such short-as-gently caress cords with their products, I literally cannot use my nexus 7 while its charging because the cord just barely reaches my desktop from the power strip directly below it. I cannot wait to get a Qi pad so I don't accidentally rip the plug out of the thing when I absentmindedly grab it to watch netflix and yank the drat powerstrip along for the ride.

Or drop 4$ on two 6-10' usb to microusb cords. The super cheap ones tend to wear out at the plug/cord junction, but at 2$ every 6 months, I consider that a reasonable wear item.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Slo-Tek posted:

Or drop 4$ on two 6-10' usb to microusb cords. The super cheap ones tend to wear out at the plug/cord junction, but at 2$ every 6 months, I consider that a reasonable wear item.

That doesn't really answer the question though, if 6-10' cords are so cheap then why don't OEMs use them to begin with? Surely an extra foot or so of wire won't cause the manufacturer to spiral into financial ruin unless its HTC and this cord is definitely shorter than the one on my 2012 nexus.

Anyway, I'm getting the pad because I plan to get a nexus 5 as soon as they launch, and it's less clutter to have a pad with one plug rather than two separate charge cables.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I am looking at a TPU case for a 2013 Nexus 7. I was hoping that Diztronic made one so I could just order that, their TPU case for the Nexus 7 is pretty amazing.

I am looking at this guy for $12

My use case is pretty unique. I need a chart plotter for an offshore sailing trip, and I would like to mount the Nexus 7 to the old, non-working fish finder/depth meter. My plan is to semi-permanently mount the tablet case to the fish finder using either an adhesive or zip ties, or both.

As crazy as it sounds we tested this out with the N4 and it worked pretty well. I guess the TL;DR is that I need a rigid, cheap case to semi-protect the tablet just long enough to survive the sailing trip before I put it on swappa, because gently caress electronics in a marine environment for more than 24 hours.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

mr. stefan posted:

That doesn't really answer the question though, if 6-10' cords are so cheap then why don't OEMs use them to begin with? Surely an extra foot or so of wire won't cause the manufacturer to spiral into financial ruin unless its HTC and this cord is definitely shorter than the one on my 2012 nexus.

Anyway, I'm getting the pad because I plan to get a nexus 5 as soon as they launch, and it's less clutter to have a pad with one plug rather than two separate charge cables.

Shorter cords end up delivering more current to the device, because longer cords have more voltage loss over the length of the cord. As devices get more power hungry, the cords get shorter. Not necessarily for when using the wall charger, but for when trying to charge via USB. Your OEM cord will probably at least trickle charge the tablet via USB while it's on, but a longer one would probably require the tablet to be powered off to charge via USB, which is a pretty big issue when dealing with dumb consumers ("OMG WHY WONT MY TABLET CHARGE!??! GOOGLE U SUCK!")

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is an admittedly stupid and niche question, but does anyone make cases for the proprietary charging cable devices where in which you install it into the case and it docks with an internal propriety pin connector inside which is connected to a micro USB port on the exterior of the case?

I typed that up, then sort of realized that even in the strongest and least flexible of cases, though, such a design would possibly lead to stress issues on the charging port that might eventually damage the device.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think they just went with Qi wireless charging and called it a day.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

So can anyone recommend a decent charging/data cable over a metre long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Daimo posted:

So can anyone recommend a decent charging/data cable over a metre long?

Shouldn't that be literally any micro-USB cable with the right (read: OEM) charger attached?