Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

catch22 posted:

SXS Toys Not-Blurr

Huge shield kibble aside, I like it. Heads a wee small but it could be a weird angle.

Like their Gears he'll probably be $70+ and be made of cheap plastic. I dunno.

Other posted:

Any of y'all see the price tag on that Ultimetal Optimus? It's 78,000Yen
http://blog.yahoo.com/_ED274AZGFINLESDVVHRADMVIMU/articles/1291725/index
Makes sense though seeing how it's really big, really drat big

I had to double check my math and make sure I wasn't leaving any zeroes or adding them on, but holy cow $800. I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend a grand on instead of a die cast action master MP-10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That Roadbuster (the non-chibi one) looks awesome, but I guess it's non-transforming right?

Pinhead Nipplehearts there at the bottom picture is creepy as gently caress. :stonk:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Masterpiece Prowl is instock at TFsource.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Other posted:

Any of y'all see the price tag on that Ultimetal Optimus? It's 78,000Yen
http://blog.yahoo.com/_ED274AZGFINLESDVVHRADMVIMU/articles/1291725/index
Makes sense though seeing how it's really big, really drat big

Hasbro proving that you don't have to be third party to charge a hilariously inflated price for a niche product.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Hasbro proving that you don't have to be third party to charge a hilariously inflated price for a niche product.

It's not Hasbro or Takara making that, it's an officially licensed third party. :ssh:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's not Hasbro or Takara making that, it's an officially licensed third party. :ssh:

HasTak approved the price point before production, I guarantee you. It's still on them.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Apparently MP Megatron will be re-released as a final edition, so people are speculating that a new MP Megs could follow it, as it happened with MP10 announced shortly after MP1's final run.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Apparently MP Megatron will be re-released as a final edition, so people are speculating that a new MP Megs could follow it, as it happened with MP10 announced shortly after MP1's final run.

God I hope so. I defended MP Megatron when he came out, but he's so dated at this point and prob the worst MP at the moment. I wouldn't mind a Hot Rod re-do either. Make it just Hot Rod and scale it with the newer MP cars

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

Masterpiece Prowl is instock at TFsource.
Well, I did what I said I wouldn't do and ordered a Prowl...

...worst part is I also ordered generations Ratbat and the Perfect Effect camera trio.

Can't wait for that box to show up :dance:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That's also why any future combiners are going to be like WFC Bruticus and Prime Abominus. Weep for the future!

The FoC Bruticus molds are amazing feats of design and engineering. This fandom is full of whiners. :colbert:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

No Your Other Left posted:

The FoC Bruticus molds are amazing feats of design and engineering. This fandom is full of whiners. :colbert:

Oh, come on. Opinions and all, but there's absolutely nothing "amazing" about any of the individual robots or their combined mode. They're passable or maybe pretty good with a little fanmode ingenuity, but even people who love that mold admit it's not what it could be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

VORTEX is a tremendous feat of design and engineering. I loving LOVE Vortex, if only they were all that good.
Brawl is a pretty good leg I guess.
Swindle is servicable as a leg.
Blast Off is barely a leg/foot in leg mode and is so lanky and disproportionate and UGH in arm mode that he absolutely doesn't qualify as an arm.
Onslaught suffers from being a Deluxe when he should have been a Voyager. His torso mode has wonky-rear end hips, is hollow from the back, and is just too drat small.

Keldroc posted:

Oh, come on. Opinions and all, but there's absolutely nothing "amazing" about any of the individual robots
Vortex is a loving masterpiece. He's got a solid vehicle mode that's easily identifiable, his robot mode is well-proportioned and articulated, his leg mode has a distinct "foot" and is very stable, and his arm mode has an elbow, a bicep-swivel, and a flip-out gun option. He's everything I could expect out of a Hasbro Deluxe combiner limb.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 1, 2013

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

catch22 posted:

God I hope so. I defended MP Megatron when he came out, but he's so dated at this point and prob the worst MP at the moment.

I really liked it when I picked it up a few years back. Felt fragile as hell, but it was interesting.

When I was moving last year and culling down what was coming with me and what was going in storage, there wasn't even a moment of hesitation to leave MP Megatron behind. Actually, even Grimlock was left behind now that I think about it, but space is limited between MP-10, Hot Rod (which I'm okay with...), my Portal Gun, and TFC Herc.

But yeah, I'm interested to see how they'll redo Megatron, and how there still won't be a US release of it. That'll be... neat...

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Keldroc posted:

Oh, come on. Opinions and all, but there's absolutely nothing "amazing" about any of the individual robots or their combined mode. They're passable or maybe pretty good with a little fanmode ingenuity, but even people who love that mold admit it's not what it could be.

Are you ever happy with anything? Of course none of the robots are amazing, they're deluxe size quadruple changers that have to obey the laws of physics. They're a modern faithful take on Scramble City, and they do a better job of it than even the third party attempts. Blast-Off's limb modes mode stink, but the rest of them work great even in the official modes with a bit of fiddling.

DoctorWhat posted:

VORTEX is a tremendous feat of design and engineering. I loving LOVE Vortex, if only they were all that good.
Brawl is a pretty good leg I guess.
Swindle is servicable as a leg.
Blast Off is barely a leg/foot in leg mode and is so lanky and disproportionate and UGH in arm mode that he absolutely doesn't qualify as an arm.
Onslaught suffers from being a Deluxe when he should have been a Voyager. His torso mode has wonky-rear end hips, is hollow from the back, and is just too drat small.
Vortex is a loving masterpiece. He's got a solid vehicle mode that's easily identifiable, his robot mode is well-proportioned and articulated, his leg mode has a distinct "foot" and is very stable, and his arm mode has an elbow, a bicep-swivel, and a flip-out gun option. He's everything I could expect out of a Hasbro Deluxe combiner limb.

Blast-Off is definitely the weakest of the set besides Onslaught. Even in bot mode he's marred by the bizarre and dysfunctional shoulder articulation. But Swindle and Brawl both make good arms as well as feet. Swindle has the same sort of waist-and-hips elbow joint that the Fansproject Stunticons have, and his hood becomes this neat shoulder armor that shifts as you move him outward. Brawl works well as an arm if you extend the waist and lower the shoulder kibble into line with the rest of the arm mode. Onslaught himself winds up seeming half-finished, but keeping him as a deluxe so he'd be in the same case as the others was probably the right choice in the end.

But that's all beside the point, which is that they're modern Scramble City figures. The implications of that are wonderful. If they release more figures using this new combination port system, you've got something amazing on your hands. It's everything Power Core Combiners dreamed of being, but never really achieved. It's a spiritual successor not only to the original Scramble City figures, but to the Energon combiners as well. It's already absurdly fun to switch them all between modes and combining them in different ways. Imagine having other combiners to swap parts around with. A combiner with the chest and limbs all being from a different group. Onslaught with Piranhacon fish-monster arms. Superion with rocket legs.

:allears:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Keldroc posted:

HasTak approved the price point before production, I guarantee you. It's still on them.

:jerkbag:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Are you ever happy with anything? Of course none of the robots are amazing, they're deluxe size quadruple changers that have to obey the laws of physics. They're a modern faithful take on Scramble City, and they do a better job of it than even the third party attempts. Blast-Off's limb modes mode stink, but the rest of them work great even in the official modes with a bit of fiddling.

Blast-Off is definitely the weakest of the set besides Onslaught. Even in bot mode he's marred by the bizarre and dysfunctional shoulder articulation. But Swindle and Brawl both make good arms as well as feet. Swindle has the same sort of waist-and-hips elbow joint that the Fansproject Stunticons have, and his hood becomes this neat shoulder armor that shifts as you move him outward. Brawl works well as an arm if you extend the waist and lower the shoulder kibble into line with the rest of the arm mode. Onslaught himself winds up seeming half-finished, but keeping him as a deluxe so he'd be in the same case as the others was probably the right choice in the end.
:allears:

Swindle's "elbow" is trash, largely because of curling-iron-arm syndrome, which I can't stand., Brawl doesn't have a real elbow, hell he's almost entirely shoulder. Vortex is the ONLY really fantastic figure in the set. Not only do they have to be an arm, they have to be ARMS. They have to be able to match one another in articulation and proportion. The legs would be un-loving-acceptable if they were of different lengths; the arms ought to be similarly criticized.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All of you haters hating on Onslaught just don't get he's the best Go-Kart transformer we've gotten in like...ever.

He's just big enough to get other bots to ride his vehicle mode proper.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

Swindle's "elbow" is trash, largely because of curling-iron-arm syndrome, which I can't stand., Brawl doesn't have a real elbow, hell he's almost entirely shoulder. Vortex is the ONLY really fantastic figure in the set. Not only do they have to be an arm, they have to be ARMS. They have to be able to match one another in articulation and proportion. The legs would be un-loving-acceptable if they were of different lengths; the arms ought to be similarly criticized.

Can't argue the proportion bit, but the best arrangement I've found for the Brawl arm is the same length as the Swindle arm. (Sorry about the crappy pic.)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Definitely agree that Vortex is the best of the five overall. Not perfect, but solid in all three modes. As you say, about all you could expect from what it is. Also worth noting that all five of the new heads on the Ruination remolds are great representations of the characters they're meant to be, even if the bodies are not.

Are you ever happy with anything?

Very often, yes. In fact, if you look one page back, you'll see my high praise for the Function X figures. I just don't like half-assed disappointing crap like FoC Bruticus.

quote:

Of course none of the robots are amazing, they're deluxe size quadruple changers that have to obey the laws of physics.

One post ago you said they were amazing, now they're not? Like whatever you like, certainly we all have our "I know this figure is lame, but I love it anyway" TFs, but at this point very few people are unwilling to admit that FoC Bruticus fell far short of its potential. The numerous add-on sets and the third-party Voyager-sized Onslaught aren't getting made because everyone's super happy with their purchase as-is.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Keldroc posted:

Very often, yes. In fact, if you look one page back, you'll see my high praise for the Function X figures. I just don't like half-assed disappointing crap like FoC Bruticus.

Okay, I'll rephrase that. Are you ever happy with anything that isn't Masterpiece or overly expensive third party toys?

Keldroc posted:

One post ago you said they were amazing, now they're not? Like whatever you like, certainly we all have our "I know this figure is lame, but I love it anyway" TFs, but at this point very few people are unwilling to admit that FoC Bruticus fell far short of its potential. The numerous add-on sets and the third-party Voyager-sized Onslaught aren't getting made because everyone's super happy with their purchase as-is.

Both. They fall short of their potential, but are still amazing in spite of it. They accomplish something ambitious and incredibly difficult while only having relatively minor flaws. Sure they're a bit hollow, but that's because they have limited parts and space to work with. Sure Onslaught is wonky, but his torso mode is amazing. They over-reached and fell short of their goals, but that makes me love them all the more, even more than less ambitious but arguably better figures. I'd rather have a set of toys that try something insane and mostly succeed, instead of more toys that just repeat past successes without adding much of value. Bruticus strove for something, and that's what makes it amazing.

Then take heart, because that's Ruinations official setup.
VVV

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 1, 2013

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Can't argue the proportion bit, but the best arrangement I've found for the Brawl arm is the same length as the Swindle arm. (Sorry about the crappy pic.)

My biggest pet peeve about Bruticus is that this is clearly the best looking limb configuration, but my OCD won't let me form him in a non-G1 layout.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hasbro, please make a voyager Generations Longrack that transforms into an excavator. Just make sure to keep his trademark giant excavator arm.

The only thing I dislike about this is Vortex's rotors on Bruticus' leg. I wish there's a way to fold them up better, like maybe on G1 Sandstorm.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 1, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knormal posted:

My biggest pet peeve about Bruticus is that this is clearly the best looking limb configuration, but my OCD won't let me form him in a non-G1 layout.

It doesn't solve YOUR problem, but Vortex is by FAR the best arm and Brawl's by FAR the best leg so you're still wrong :colbert:

The MSJ posted:

Hasbro, please make a voyager Generations Longrack that transforms into an excavator. Just make sure to keep his trademark giant excavator arm.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Longrack_(Cybertron)

Eh? EH?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I have that one and I like it (especially his punching gimmick), but there are stuff like his left arm having limited articulation. It's a decent toy, but even someone in this thread said it's not a perfect design.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I have that one and I like it (especially his punching gimmick), but there are stuff like his left arm having limited articulation. It's a decent toy, but even someone in this thread said it's not a perfect design.

Well I can't exactly argue that a Generations update wouldn't be neat. Just threw the idea out there in case you'd forgotten/weren't aware.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

It doesn't solve YOUR problem, but Vortex is by FAR the best arm and Brawl's by FAR the best leg so you're still wrong :colbert:
Vortex is definitely a great arm, but I can't get over his karate chop hand.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knormal posted:

Vortex is definitely a great arm, but I can't get over his karate chop hand.

Better than curling-iron arm bullshit and/or no elbow at all. It can hold things, too (which Brawl can't even do), to disguise it a bit , AND you can fold out the gun instead (even if it is a little dinky) instead.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Then take heart, because that's Ruinations official setup.
VVV

Wrong, the instructions show brawl as the right arm and Roadblock as the left, same with the legs.

I made sure all my Bruticuses used each individual combination. :colbert:

Also brawl doesn't need to hold things, his arm has a shoulder cannon.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Okay, I'll rephrase that. Are you ever happy with anything that isn't Masterpiece or overly expensive third party toys?

"Overly expensive" is 100% subjective, of course, but just off the top of my head from recent purchases: Voyager Springer/Sandstorm, BH Prowl/Smokescreen, SDCC Metroplex, pretty much the entire Cyberverse Commander line, Sharkticon Megatron, BH Ultra Magnus, FoC Shockwave, TFP Rumble, TFP Jet Vehicon, and IDW Megatron would all make my "thumbs up" list. And that's even in a year in which the primary line failed to impress me for the most part. On top of that I would count most of the CHUG figures and the entire Binaltech/Alternators line in my "like" column. I'd also include several RotF figures in a longer such list, and I physically hated RotF as a movie.

I am not an overly picky TF fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I refuse to gloss over shortcomings of the toys. Even in my short write-up of TFC Uranos earlier in the thread I plainly stated that the combined mode was unimpressive on several levels, including issues that really should have been caught in production, so high priced third-party stuff is not given a free pass by me, either. It could be said that I'm a bit harsher when it comes to judging combiners, because the combining gimmick is one of my favorite elements of the brand, and we get so few of them through official channels that when one just gets poo poo out half-formed like Bruticus, it's extra disappointing. Even just making Onslaught a larger size could have done a lot to smooth over the figure's problems, but all we got was the absolute bare minimum, and that's a drat shame.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

We interrupt this argument to bring you news from a Costco in California:

We now return to your regularly scheduled fighting.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 1, 2013

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
How much?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keldroc posted:

You mean a large collector's item with a limited production run is going to be expensive? Who would have thought!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Rage posted:

We interrupt this argument to bring you news from a Costco in California:

We now return to your regularly scheduled fighting.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have shelfwarmers.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have shelfwarmers.

Now do you think there's any possible way of getting one of those bad boys to Japan without paying a ton in shipping? Like an inter-Costco shipment or something?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

:siren: Holy loving poo poo Masterpiece Ultra Magnus :siren:

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
MP22 is going to be Ultra Magnus "Perfect Edition". Based on the MP10 mold, it will come with his trailer and be able to combine with it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

:siren: Holy loving poo poo Masterpiece Ultra Magnus :siren:

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYY!!!

:dance: :fap: :dance:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

MB13 posted:

MP22 is going to be Ultra Magnus "Perfect Edition". Based on the MP10 mold, it will come with his trailer and be able to combine with it.

Hunh. I thought it was just another MP-2 rerelease.

Yay!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MB13 posted:

:getin:

OH YES. OH YESSSSS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Well I'm up for that. Could this be the long-awaited first UM headsculpt that's not terrible?