Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
RIP MEC, hope to play you again some day :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinkie Fat Sac
Dec 17, 2003
Any tips or tricks for flying? Is a joystick a must?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Oh man, can't waiiiiiit...

... it looks so so so good!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shima Honnou posted:

RIP MEC, hope to play you again some day :sigh:

MEC was loving dumb as poo poo. Russia accomplishes the same thing (excuse to use Russian military equipment) but in a less stupid way.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

going to bed "early" to play this poo poo before work, gently caress yes

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

Any tips or tricks for flying? Is a joystick a must?

KB/M is the best choice for flying once you get used to it. Allows for finer movement and almost all the benefit of a joystick for faster turns with a couple extra keybinds.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
What are these battlepacks and if I'm going to get BF4, should I do it now to get goodies?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

cheese posted:

What are these battlepacks and if I'm going to get BF4, should I do it now to get goodies?

Our best knowledge points to them including cosmetic poo poo; weapon/solider/vehicle camo as well as alternate skins for weapon attachments. You probably will be able to buy them separately and also get some for owning premium.

So don't base your purchase decision on whether or not you'll get a bonus battlepack.

tradjik
Mar 2, 2007

I haven't been this excited for a beta since, like, forever. I haven't actually played a Battlefield game since 2142, but it was one of my all-time favourite online games. 4 hours, woo!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
loving hate the timing of this, maybe I'll wake up early and squeeze an hour or two before work, then coming home then going to class. gently caress Tuesdays ALL OVER AGAIN.

Also the goddamn tag for the thread hits home hard, not simply because of BF4 but what someone told me the other day while they were (I guess) dashing my hopes.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Our best knowledge points to them including cosmetic poo poo; weapon/solider/vehicle camo as well as alternate skins for weapon attachments. You probably will be able to buy them separately and also get some for owning premium.

So don't base your purchase decision on whether or not you'll get a bonus battlepack.

Fair point. I'll wait to try the the open beta first. I'm a touch concerned that they did not address the reasons that caused me to stop playing BF3 in the first place, but we will see.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People really need to remember that we haven't seen anything that isn't incremental upgrades. If larger maps and physics gimmicks are enough for you to put as many hours into 4 as you did into 3, that's fine, but it's not hardly a new game.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Orv posted:

People really need to remember that we haven't seen anything that isn't incremental upgrades. If larger maps and physics gimmicks are enough for you to put as many hours into 4 as you did into 3, that's fine, but it's not hardly a new game.

Really I'm just hoping all the maps will be better designed for 64 players.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Orv posted:

I'm just hoping for a fresh start, better balance, new or cooler maps and a better looking engine. This new frostbite looks sleek as hell and puts BF3 to shame.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

keyframe posted:

How did you like it from the alpha? Does it have a nice flow to it?

Yeah, it worked pretty well. The capture points aren't just flags out in the middle of nowhere, they've all got varying levels and lots of (destructible) cover the nature of each spot changes as the fight goes on. Plus, they've all got fairly large capture areas so you usually can't hang out in one spot and camp the flag because a bunch of dudes you can't see might cap it out from underneat you.

I was never able to figure out what actually causes the tower to fall down, but unless the other team turns it into some kind of stronghold I don't know why you would want to, I had way more fun up top than down below. It felt kinda like a mini Ziba Tower patio area.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ularg posted:

I'm just hoping for a fresh start, better balance, new or cooler maps and a better looking engine. This new frostbite looks sleek as hell and puts BF3 to shame.

Perfectly reasonable. Just wanted to try and check off, well, SA game release threads.

Those things would also make me pretty happy.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I hope they plan on using the entire map instead of 3 control points in a single line. I never played any of the maps past Back to Kirkland, did they fix that?

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Honestly I thought Bad Company 2 was infinitely worse about that than even vanilla BF3. But Aftermath has really good control point layouts.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Bad Company 2 early on was really bad about having a lot of empty space on their maps. But they slowly started to get better. My favorite map was Valparaiso.

Because it was so perfectly made for rush. It wasn't some gimmick like "And here is a downhill slope, which later you can sky dive off a helipad." It was through a forest and through a village then up a hill into an outpost then down a hill into a bigger village with a port and then more and more. It was so varied and had a lot of cover and places to fight. It was really hard to lock down one firing lane. My favorite thing to do was flying the attack blackhawk because of the various mountains you can fly incredibly low to avoid lock ons and try your best to dodge Gustavs.

I think after the beta I'm going to complain at EA to give me my CD Key back so I can play Bad Company 2 multiplayer again until BF4 comes out.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
When ever I think of "Having fun in BC2" I think of Valpariso or Isla Inocentes, AT4-ing the chopper and killing dudes with that loving Garand.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Target Practice posted:

When ever I think of "Having fun in BC2" I think of Valpariso or Isla Inocentes, AT4-ing the chopper and killing dudes with that loving Garand.

And throwing C4 at choke points and getting multikills until my eyes bleed.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
So are the ps3 BF3 goons playing on PS3 or PS4?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Goons on IRC hop on #pcgaming on irc.synirc.net to hang out with other goons who are waiting for the beta to go live. :getin:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are there going to be some Mumble shenanigans or something to try and pack a server full of goons?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, curious what the tentative chat plans are. Use in-game VOIP if it turns out to be decent, or not even bother and just stick with Mumble?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Target Practice posted:

They need to bring back the Garand and Thompson, so good.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

And so it begins.

Please tell me you're all working on your emblems right now.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

MasonF posted:

And so it begins.

Nooo, they removed the muscle arm!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

MasonF posted:

And so it begins.

:lol:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Any ozgoons planning on getting in on the beta this evening?

AstronautIceCream
Jan 7, 2013
What's the over under on this actually launching in an hour? Should I sleep? Or should I beef?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
There's an AT4 dog tag by the rest of the battle pick-up dog tags; wonder what its gimmick is.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I'm disappointed by all these rude emblems. Why can't we just have a nice, clean game? :unsmith:

Twinkie Fat Sac
Dec 17, 2003
where do you go to make them? Do you need to unlock it through rank or something? From the screens you guys posted your battlelog looks different then the bf3 1. How do you switch it to bf4? Or am I just dumb and you are still using the bf3 battlelog?

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

where do you go to make them? Do you need to unlock it through rank or something? From the screens you guys posted your battlelog looks different then the bf3 1. How do you switch it to bf4? Or am I just dumb and you are still using the bf3 battlelog?
On the top of Battlelog there is a drop down window that you can change to BF4.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/MasonF20/
See?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

click on the arrow next to bf3 battlelog and select bf4.

Twinkie Fat Sac
Dec 17, 2003
Ah there we go. I still had the normal bf4 screen with the different purchase options and the trailers. I had to log out and back in for it to update that I had pre ordered bf4. Thanks

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm going to have to get used to all these new gun names, feels like I'm playing arma 3 but they are all real.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Jesus... I was trying to see how many active servers they had waiting and Firefox started to crash at around 3800 :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah you need to slap some filters on.

• Locked thread