Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Since these are like the Fifa and Mass Effect item packs (including the different ranks; bronze-silver-gold), I think you can be quite sure of it that they'll monetize them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The battle packs will work exactly as they did in ME3. You'll be able to slowly unlock them via playing the game or pay EA to buy them straight up.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The battle packs will work exactly as they did in ME3. You'll be able to slowly unlock them via playing the game or pay EA to buy them straight up.

And in ME3's case there was really no need to buy any using real world money. You get everything soon enough by playing normally.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Doflamingo posted:

And in ME3's case there was really no need to buy any using real world money. You get everything soon enough by playing normally.

It was inoffensive because it was coop.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Doflamingo posted:

If you're talking about silver guns, sure.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Does changing your graphics settings actually do anything? I've switched between ultra, medium and low a few time but haven't noticed any change in performance.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Fun game. I enjoy actually being able to see things in this game. BF3 was a horrible clusterfuck with all the poo poo cluttering up the screen on top of super sun glare.

Now I have no excuses as to why I suck balls, but I'm not really worried. I haven't been playing shooters much over the years, it's not like I'm in my late teens anymore. I'm not too sure if everyone's playstyle has changed over the years to just run run run, or I'm just getting slow and old.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

Does changing your graphics settings actually do anything? I've switched between ultra, medium and low a few time but haven't noticed any change in performance.

Since it looks like they aren't utilizing a bunch of GPUs correctly, no the settings will do nothing if your card isn't currently supported.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Trip report:
i7 2600k (stock speed)
GTX 580 1.5GB
16 GB RAM
SSD
1080p (well 16:10 equivalent)

BF3: I run most things on low, just to get rid of clutter and rarely drop below 60FPS.

BF4: This is not installed on my SSD - have map loading times increased for those who have it installed on SSD?

First go: Using really old Nvidia drivers (newer ones caused stuttering in BF3) - unplayable lag, sub 30fps - even after switching to low settings.
Second go: Using beta Nvidia drivers - 30+ fps, but pretty bad stuttering. Again, on low settings.
Third go: Disabling Origin Overlay - 30-45 fps, but feels fairly smooth. Some pretty killer frame drops though. Especially when whipping round. Still not tried low settings.

I like that you can sprint quite quickly, but the slightly floaty, ice skating feel is gonna take some time getting used to.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
JUST A REMINDER THAT *ALL NVIDIA USERS MUST UPDATE* THEIR DRIVERS TO BETA 331.40 TO RUN THE BATTLEFIELD 4 BETA

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-40-beta-drivers-released

If you do not update to these drivers you will experience performance issues.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Anyone else having issues right now? The game runs really goddamn choppy, even though I can play BF3 just fine.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Anybody else getting unplayable FPS, even with all video settings on low? I get 1-10 FPS at all times, even in the menus.

My system:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 3.4Ghz
ATI Radeon 7850 2GB (using latest beta drivers)
Windows 7 Home Premium
8GB RAM

My Processor gets maxed out and my GPU runs at about 50-60% load. I can run BF3 just fine, what's going on here?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Grey Fox V2 posted:

JUST A REMINDER THAT *ALL NVIDIA USERS MUST UPDATE* THEIR DRIVERS TO BETA 331.40 TO RUN THE BATTLEFIELD 4 BETA

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-40-beta-drivers-released

Exactly the kinda post I was hoping to spot coming in here. God Bless you Grey Fox.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Good goddamn I'm awful at this.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I'm actually glad they are Call of Dutyizing the release schedule of Battlefield. Dice is notoriously bad about leaving basic features out of their new games that have to be patched in months/years later. Everything is here. Good server filters, proper PC settings etc. Also I've I only got a chance to play for five minutes, but the game seems extremely PC oriented. No weird console menus etc.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Grey Fox V2 posted:

This actually is causing issues on several peoples cards.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The beta's fun so far, but I've noticed quite a bit of bugginess. Elevator doors appearing closed when they are actually open, getting caught on tiny pieces of geometry, getting caught on invisible geometry, it's the same problems I saw in BF3 but much worse. I've also gotten killed a couple times while trying to jump through a broken glass door, it seems like windows are the preferred way to get into a building. Anyone else clicked to spawn on a tank or boat on the deployment map and spawned in that spot but with no vehicle in sight?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Den of Lies posted:

Anybody else getting unplayable FPS, even with all video settings on low? I get 1-10 FPS at all times, even in the menus.

My system:

Windows 7 Home Premium
8GB RAM

My Processor gets maxed out and my GPU runs at about 50-60% load. I can run BF3 just fine, what's going on here?

That sounds like a classic case of a processor bottleneck.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

That sounds like a classic case of a processor bottleneck.

Or the GPU being completely under utilized because of lovely optimization.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

SaucyLoggins posted:

I'm actually glad they are Call of Dutyizing the release schedule of Battlefield. Dice is notoriously bad about leaving basic features out of their new games that have to be patched in months/years later. Everything is here. Good server filters, proper PC settings etc. Also I've I only got a chance to play for five minutes, but the game seems extremely PC oriented. No weird console menus etc.

I don't want to shock you into a coma or anything, but Battlefield 3 came out in 2011.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

This fixed all issues for me. Thanks a ton!

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013
Oh hey just noticed I could get into the BF4 beta since I had premium in BF3.

Jumping in on this! :dance:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I really hope the release has better optimization. The game's really great over-wise but it can be so drat choppy.

Aside from that my only complaint is it takes way to long to unlock poo poo. I should have unlocked

the defibs in 20 minutes, not two hours.

Supernorn posted:

I don't want to shock you into a coma or anything, but Battlefield 3 came out in 2011.

This is actually the longest turnover between two BF games. It just seems shorter because of BF3's protracted DLC schedule.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Unless something has changed very recently, it doesn't help most people at all.

heladocasero
Jul 27, 2010
i5 3570K @ 3.8GHz
GTX 560ti
8GB ram
Not installed on SSD.
Playing on 1080p.
Windows 7.

Loads slowly, but not overly more so compared to BF3.
Initially played on some old-rear end drivers had about 30 fps on domination with constant lag.
Installed the 320.49 drivers, jumped to about 45 fps, dialled back settings to medium and I'm getting 45-60 fps with occasional microstutter. Plays perfectly fine, I can jump from chopper towards fire while spinning around shooting crap everywhere and it won't be noticeable. I did turn motion blur off though.

Great fun, guns feel like they need a bit more bullets to kill though, either that or the kill feed is delayed.
RPGs can lock-on once Recons have designated targets which is bloody great.

The roof of C (skyscaper) is the usual shitfest of campers and snipers, I found ther was no point going up there. Tanks felt well balanced on this map - you're at constant risk of being barraged from the various rooftops but there is enough open space between the two bridges and among the points to battle it out.
I never noticed that it was a packed 64p server at any point, however it still felt like there was always action around the corner - DICE have done a great job with map design. I spent very little time running to and from places and spent most of my time fighting. The new (or old depending on how you look at it) spawn system is what BF3 really should have had.

I haven't had the chance to have a go on the armoured boat or the artillery designator so I'm looking forward to that. The guns are perfectly playable at stock, although the tube launcher seems to have a ridiculously large splash range. The airburst is a bit weird as well but it's fun just spamming the poo poo out of groups of enemies.

Had a great moment where my squad finally got done shooting down the defenders on the roof of C from the chopper so we all jumped out. Just as we landed, the skyscraper collapsed, so we just kept falling down guns blazing :black101:

ALL IN ALL I can't wait to play tomorrow!

e: although yea the unlock times feel a lot longer but hey more replay value!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Went back to check FPS with fraps. I'm getting about 10-20fps on low graphics with stutters every few seconds. My 5 year old PC can run BF3 no problem. In fact it's so laggy that when the building fell over it didn't even trigger on my PC. It was still stood there only everything had a flat tan texture over it instead.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is it just me or is the support airburst thingy op? I mean, you can 2 shot kill people with the splash and it has thermal vision, not really sure how to work the explode in the air setting yet, and it can't be refilled with the ammo packs.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone else having issues right now? The game runs really goddamn choppy, even though I can play BF3 just fine.

If you're gonna go Wall, go all the way

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Don't tell people to install those beta drivers because for a lot of us it has done jack poo poo. I just rolled back to the last official and testing them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

If you're gonna go Wall, go all the way

Well that just outclasses me entirely. Nice job.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
So I load into the game and I'm sitting on the deploy screen but the game isn't recognizing my inputs. I'm clicking on spawn points and pressing keys but nothing's happening. The battle is raging in the background but I can't join it, just watch helplessly from the respawn screen. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Fixed it, had to close a GIS program I accidently left on

sdr782 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 1, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

RBX posted:

Don't tell people to install those beta drivers because for a lot of us it has done jack poo poo. I just rolled back to the last official and testing them.

The 327.23 ones? Please tell me how it goes for you and what series your card is. Thanks.

e - Seems like every one is trying and nvidia's driver download server is getting smashed.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 1, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Went back to check FPS with fraps. I'm getting about 10-20fps on low graphics with stutters every few seconds. My 5 year old PC can run BF3 no problem. In fact it's so laggy that when the building fell over it didn't even trigger on my PC. It was still stood there only everything had a flat tan texture over it instead.

It's been mentioned that the beta is horribly unoptimized.

Also, is it surprising to you that a two year old game runs better on a five year old PC compared to a brand new one?

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Trisk posted:

So for someone who is stupid and hasn't really played BF before or used Origin that much: you join games through Battlelog? Is there an in-game server browser?

It's been that way since BF3 I think. Yeah, I'm not a fan either.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
The recon gadget (PLO?) will spot for RPG lock-on

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pudgygiant posted:

The recon gadget (PLO?) will spot for RPG lock-on

And you can keep locking a target, moving your sight and relocking it for mad 25 XP farming!

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Den of Lies posted:

My system:

Windows 7 Home Premium
8GB RAM

Just quoting myself to say that I updated to the latest beta drivers (13.10_betav2), I didn't know a new version came out yesterday, and now the game runs fine.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sistergodiva posted:

Is it just me or is the support airburst thingy op? I mean, you can 2 shot kill people with the splash and it has thermal vision, not really sure how to work the explode in the air setting yet, and it can't be refilled with the ammo packs.

It's just you.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I don't think I need to update at all because I am getting solid 60fps on my older drivers running everything on ultra.

Those of you having terrible performance issues I don't think your bottleneck is the CPU because I am running the game on a stock i7 920 with 6gb ram. The only new component I have on the computer is my GTX 780.

--

Controls wise I realized it takes a bit of time to get to full sprinting speed when you start running. Was it like that in BF3 as well? It felt really weird for me at first until I got used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Supernorn posted:

I'm more referring to them just building on the older games than a strict yearly schedule. The engine, art assets, and game design seem a lot more like upgrades from BF3 rather than the game being rebuilt from scratch.

• Locked thread