Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Stiggs posted:

Did you expect anything else?

I always am dumbfounded at humanity. I never really fully grasp how people can keep doing this. The problem here is ultimately me, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Haha, they made it so you can't use guns in clothing stores on players but that didn't stop me from pistol whipping a fool to death.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Obsurveyor posted:

Haha, they made it so you can't use guns in clothing stores on players but that didn't stop me from pistol whipping a fool to death.
You can shoot into a clothes store from outside anyway. :v:

Reive posted:

The online is so hosed it won't even load while playing solo, how does that even happen.
Because even solo, your Multiplayer experience needs to authenticate against a server*, and that server is currently being hit with the angry wrath of an avenging angel who only uses the Internet. That server predictably times out or fails to fully complete a transaction, your connection resets, and the whole thing either resets back to GTA, dies a miserable death or tries again, depending on exact variables.

The people in the beta universally found play experience fine, and none of the people leaking indicated any problems. This is a load issue primarily, nothing more sinister.

* - Where 'a server' is a big loving load balanced infrastructure, before someone spergs.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I think having a game that combines on, and off-line is great, but having a thread do it is loving poo poo.
Can we please have 2 threads, please.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

my new dog posted:

Do the "hours a day doing stuff" actually affect what your character can and cannot do?

It affects the base stats (Stamina, Strength, etc.), but none of them get particularly high, and you'll probably be able to build them all up in the long-run.

Low-stamina probably means you should stay away from bicycle races early on, for example, but you'd be fine to do anything eventually. (Besides, with the bikes in particular, people don't seem to realise you go faster if you hold RB on the road bikes, so they're a piece of cake to win!)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I think having a game that combines on, and off-line is great, but having a thread do it is loving poo poo.
Can we please have 2 threads, please.

I already PM'd AxeManiac about it. I suggested a Picture thread, a PS3 online thread, and a 360 online thread. (In addition to this thread)

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I stopped at an Ammu-nation in GTAO and was able to get two shotguns and a hammer for free. Another perk to the Special Edition, I guess!

Missions are fun with other people. The first Lamar mission after the race started the cutscene, hiccuped for about thirty seconds, then started again with two other dudes standing nearby. I didn't get to drive but still messed around with the radio stations and fired the gun out the window. As soon as we delivered the cash I ran like hell outta there before I could be double-crossed!

The character-creation is weird, but I guess it's a good way to prevent every player looking the same plus or minus some sliders. If you want your dude to not look like a crack addict maybe tone down the illegal activity and partying and let him get a couple more hours of sleep! Also of the few players I've seen running around I could barely see what they looked like besides clothing anyway.

And :lol: at people threatening to trade it in at Gamestop because the online launch of the fastest selling video game in history isn't working flawlessly within the first four hours.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I tried about 7 times before I got online, almost looked like I was about to start a race but could not get it to trigger, so I hijacked a car and immediately got the cops on me. But with no ammo or mini map it was not much of a fair fight.

And now I have to go to work. :(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BitBasher posted:

So just to be clear, people here are getting butthurt about a system not working right after Rockstar straight up came out and told us to expect problems?

No, I am however pretty loving angry that it somehow skipped a big portion of my SINGLEPLAYER GAME when it hosed up and kicked me out of MP.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

No, I am however pretty loving angry that it somehow skipped a big portion of my SINGLEPLAYER GAME when it hosed up and kicked me out of MP.

Keep manual saves instead of relying on autosave.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So did the update fix any issues in single player or is it just an unlock thing for GTA:O?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

Because it covers the drive that Mike and Trevor do at the end of the mission. It's just there so that you can flip right over to Mike and be at the guy's gate. It's a gameplay concession, you can put the getaway car literally anywhere and it won't matter.

Ah, thanks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baron FU posted:

Keep manual saves instead of relying on autosave.

I do, I save on the phone and in a bed before I get off the game. I tried getting online this morning when it finally came up, it worked for a second then kicked me off into SP, which it had messed up. I don't know what the deal is, but I loaded what should have been before all that, but apparently not because it's still all dicked up. There is no acceptable excuse for something this retarded happening.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 1, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Hobo Clown posted:

How do you do missions? After I made my character it dropped me at the Vinewood sign with no direction. Do ATMs not appear on the map?

The opening cinematic starts at the Vinewood sign, so if you are just getting dropped behind it, the wheels have fallen off for you and you might need to log in again.

Here's what happens if everything works:

Lamar picks you up at the airport, takes you out to race him. Then you get taken to a parking lot where you and other players crew up to shoot a bunch of people, steal their drugs, and return the drugs to Lamar and some serious dude who is too short. Finally, you drive to a Job where you play a round of Last Man Standing. Then you're free to crime as you please.

I had a wack situation where the sky suddenly turned from night to day, my car disappeared, and I kept getting teleported to random locations in the map before reappearing at the start location of a job with a new party.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

leidend posted:

I tried about 7 times before I got online, almost looked like I was about to start a race but could not get it to trigger, so I hijacked a car and immediately got the cops on me. But with no ammo or mini map it was not much of a fair fight.

This is another extremely stupid thing about online. You get the cops on you if they see you driving a "stolen" vehicle(which is any vehicle that doesn't have your tracker). However, to get around in this game at all, you need to steal vehicles if yours isn't available. Combined with the loving terrible impound system where the only way to get your vehicle back is to steal it(how you steal a car out of a lot that is covered with unclimbable wrought iron gates that don't open, even if you get in, you couldn't drive it out :iiam:). I could theoretically get my motorcycle out but it's practically impossible with how slow your character gets on and then trying to drive it through the gauntlet of cops.

GTA is about driving cars, you should let us Rockstar.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What was the online intro for everyone? I did a female character and Lamar picked me up with a rose. :allears:

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I do, I save on the phone and in a bed before I get off the game. I tried getting online this morning when it finally came up, it worked for a second then kicked me off into SP, which it had hosed up. I don't know what the deal is, but I loaded what should have been before all that, but apparently not because it's still all dicked up. There is no acceptable excuse for something this retarded happening.

Reload your latest manual save.

What happened to you was the game reverting to your latest autosave. If you manually saved afterwards you would have lost progress.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

leidend posted:

What was the online intro for everyone? I did a female character and Lamar picked me up with a rose. :allears:

Same here, was quite funny.

Obsurveyor posted:

Combined with the loving terrible impound system where the only way to get your vehicle back is to steal it(how you steal a car out of a lot that is covered with unclimbable wrought iron gates that don't open, even if you get in, you couldn't drive it out :iiam:).

Here's how:

Run round to the back of the impound, you can't climb the fences. Walk past the two cops (or cap them, whatever) and then you're into the impound lot. Here are your two stars! Now get in your car, and the gate will open, have fun running from cops.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
Playing online, got to level 5.

Online crashed had to start a new character from level 0.

No introl video etc.

Telling me to go into clothes store, clothes store doors won't open for me.

What the gently caress rock star?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Obsurveyor posted:

This is another extremely stupid thing about online. You get the cops on you if they see you driving a "stolen" vehicle(which is any vehicle that doesn't have your tracker). However, to get around in this game at all, you need to steal vehicles if yours isn't available. Combined with the loving terrible impound system where the only way to get your vehicle back is to steal it(how you steal a car out of a lot that is covered with unclimbable wrought iron gates that don't open, even if you get in, you couldn't drive it out :iiam:). I could theoretically get my motorcycle out but it's practically impossible with how slow your character gets on and then trying to drive it through the gauntlet of cops.

GTA is about driving cars, you should let us Rockstar.

The cops going after you for being in a stolen car is poo poo yeah.

Stealing your own car back should be easy though. All I did every time was hop over the wall at the back, and drive out (the gate opened for me).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Were the systems so tight on performance that they couldn't even let us pick a unique pedestrian model? I'm one of the many who wanted to roll as a BBW

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The online seems like a cool concept but it really feels like Rockstar rushed it out the door. The stolen car thing loving insane for a game called Grand Theft Auto.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Reading online launch threads are always hilarious and more entertaining than struggling to get into a game. :munch:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

madjackmcmad posted:

The opening cinematic starts at the Vinewood sign, so if you are just getting dropped behind it, the wheels have fallen off for you and you might need to log in again.

Here's what happens if everything works:

Lamar picks you up at the airport, takes you out to race him. Then you get taken to a parking lot where you and other players crew up to shoot a bunch of people, steal their drugs, and return the drugs to Lamar and some serious dude who is too short. Finally, you drive to a Job where you play a round of Last Man Standing. Then you're free to crime as you please.

I had a wack situation where the sky suddenly turned from night to day, my car disappeared, and I kept getting teleported to random locations in the map before reappearing at the start location of a job with a new party.

Yeah, I did a mission in SP and came back to GTAO and everything worked like it was supposed to. I even had the same experience you did with the weird timelapse and then the mission restarting with a bunch of other people.

I had my guy spend 6+ hours a day doing "legal work" and he comes with a free shirt and tie!

Another weird GTAO perk, if you put on a motorcycle helmet it becomes saved as a hat your character is wearing, you don't just throw it off onto the ground when you get off the motorcycle. Saved me a few hundred bucks from buying it at the store and it makes ragdolling into crowds much more fun!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, went through the whole process of making a character only to get booted back to single player and my character getting deleted.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I think the stolen car mechanic is to add attachment and permanence to 'your' car you tweak and garage up. You can recover the same car again & again through the Tracker/Loss Prevention you can buy at Los Santos Customs, so making a penalty to having a stolen car (Getting chased by the cops more, and for gently caress's sake it's 1 star chase, surely you WANT to get into chases in Grans Theft Auto?) creates a greater bonus and attachment to having your own pimped out ride.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
I haven't been able to get online yet so I don't know what it's like, but it's super easy to get the cops on you in single player (to be fair it's very easy - if not tedious - to lose them, too). Did the game really need to get even more coppy for online though? :\

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

madjackmcmad posted:

Here's how:

Run round to the back of the impound, you can't climb the fences. Walk past the two cops (or cap them, whatever) and then you're into the impound lot. Here are your two stars! Now get in your car, and the gate will open, have fun running from cops.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Stealing your own car back should be easy though. All I did every time was hop over the wall at the back, and drive out (the gate opened for me).

Gates wouldn't open when I was on my motorcycle inside the lot. Must have been first day bugs/lag.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
So is there auto aim for PvP stuff like deathmatch?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I think the stolen car mechanic is to add attachment and permanence to 'your' car you tweak and garage up. You can recover the same car again & again through the Tracker/Loss Prevention you can buy at Los Santos Customs, so making a penalty to having a stolen car (Getting chased by the cops more, and for gently caress's sake it's 1 star chase, surely you WANT to get into chases in Grans Theft Auto?) creates a greater bonus and attachment to having your own pimped out ride.

Being chased is fun. Being chased at any time you want to use a different car isn't. That's just extremely bad design. It isn't like it is hard for people who want to get a 1 star level to get one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wasco Jr. posted:

Playing online, got to level 5.

Online crashed had to start a new character from level 0.

No introl video etc.

Telling me to go into clothes store, clothes store doors won't open for me.

What the gently caress rock star?

your creatd character is stored online. if you can't access their servers you have to create a temporary charachter of which nothing will be saved.

the clothes are all online and constantly updated and such, when the cloud servers are down you can only access what's on the disk.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Finally got home, and installed the update ready for whenever it becomes realistically playable.

Now the single player is chugging like crazy, my PS3 is making a ton of noise and there's a "Loading GTA Online Profile Stats" in the bottom right corner and won't go away even though there's nothing to load because I haven't even tried the online stuff yet.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Been in for a little while, quite fun. Although the post first drugs reclamation devolved into an immediate shootout, I didn't start it, but I was the sole survivor and cash collector.

Gerald's Last Team Standing must have bugged though, it started, we jogged forward and then it ended and we were arbitrarily declared the winners. Got JP for it but it kinda sucks, wanted to play it. Now it's going onto the next job?

Fun so far, a little janky, but that's to be expected. Good luck to all wanting in.

Edit: Totally different guy hosting this time, I dunno if it was from the same pool of people or what. Maybe if the host craps out someone's randomly declared the winner or the person with the most points wins?

Double Edit: job immediately ended twice in a row. guess I'll rob some stores.

There's auto aim? I use freeaim in SP and I checked to see if I could change it in case other people were all using auto. The option was locked out.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 1, 2013

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Herr Direktor posted:

So is there auto aim for PvP stuff like deathmatch?

Yes. Even more stupid: Players bring their own guns/ammo into deathmatches. I played a Last Man Standing and a guy on my team had his Uzi and just mowed down the other team in less than a minute because they all had pistols. Can't wait to see rocket launchers and other crap vs. pistols. :v:

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

TehGherkin posted:

Been in for a little while, quite fun. Although the post first drugs reclamation devolved into an immediate shootout, I didn't start it, but I was the sole survivor and cash collector.

I had that happen as well. I wonder if that's supposed to happen or if it's just because the system was sort of glitchy when I tried it.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Yes. Even more stupid: Players bring their own guns/ammo into deathmatches. I played a Last Man Standing and a guy on my team had his Uzi and just mowed down the other team in less than a minute because they all had pistols. Can't wait to see rocket launchers and other crap vs. pistols. :v:

Guess it's free roam only for me. It's all I was interested in anyway but that's probably gonna turn a lot of people away from those types of modes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Are the Rockstar cloud servers actually down? Or do I have to make adjustments to my internet settings or something?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TehGherkin posted:

There's auto aim? I use freeaim in SP and I checked to see if I could change it in case other people were all using auto. The option was locked out.

The aiming is the same as Assisted Aim in single player. Not the crazy snap halfway across the screen Traditional GTA but if you're halfway competent you can easily headshot people by aiming, pulling down and firing.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Zedicus Mann posted:

I had that happen as well. I wonder if that's supposed to happen or if it's just because the system was sort of glitchy when I tried it.

Yeah it's happening with all jobs now no matter what type. Ah well.

Obsurveyor posted:

The aiming is the same as Assisted Aim in single player. Not the crazy snap halfway across the screen Traditional GTA but if you're halfway competent you can easily headshot people by aiming and pulling down and firing.

Are you sure? In the shootout I did I had no lock on at all. Maybe I was just too excited / not paying attention. It'd be pretty stupid of rockstar to have player aiming default to whatever they had picked for singleplayer and be unchangeable once they're in-game.

Haha, the only way people have to show their displeasure at the jobs instantly ending is hitting 'Dislike', I don't know what that effects, maybe the change to be matched up against each other?

I can't be too bummed that jobs aren't working when a lot of people haven't gotten online yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TehGherkin posted:

Are you sure? In the shootout I did I had no lock on at all. Maybe I was just too excited / not paying attention. It'd be pretty stupid of rockstar to have player aiming default to whatever they had picked for singleplayer and be unchangeable once they're in-game.

I shot all the drug dealers in the first online "mission" right in the head with it. I shot a real person in a Last Man Standing match(but Uzi dude stole the kill and there's no such thing as assists) multiple times through a fence, holding down aim and it was tracking him behind it without moving the stick. Yes, it's absolutely assisting my aim.

• Locked thread