Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I would unironically appreciate it if someone could explain the appeal of Pokemon to me. The whole craze completely passed me by - I first picked up Pearl for the DS, but I just thought it was too slow, boring and easy for me to want to sink more time into it. I mean I think the collection stuff is kind of cool, but I'm not seeing why that alone inspires someone to play each game for 100+ hours.

Not trying to be edgy or contrary here. I kind of want a reason to pick up the new one.

I don't have an answer for you but I wanted you to know that you're not alone. I've tried a few times and I just cannot get into Pokémon at all. We can form our own "Don't Care About Pokémon Club"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dunban posted:

And then there's Stunfisk.

Voltorb. Literally just a ball with eyes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Hakkesshu posted:

I would unironically appreciate it if someone could explain the appeal of Pokemon to me. The whole craze completely passed me by - I first picked up Pearl for the DS, but I just thought it was too slow, boring and easy for me to want to sink more time into it. I mean I think the collection stuff is kind of cool, but I'm not seeing why that alone inspires someone to play each game for 100+ hours.

Not trying to be edgy or contrary here. I kind of want a reason to pick up the new one.

Several months before Pokémon was released in the US, there was a Nintendo Power article about the premise of the game. The idea of a turn-based RPG where you raise a team ala Dragon Warrior and make them fight other people's teams appealed to 14-year-old me, so I bought Pokémon Blue and enjoyed the hell out if it. The craze at the time was pretty big around my age group, so finding other people to link up Game Boys to play and trade with was an awesome concept.

I guess a lot of it is nostalgia now, but I do like the game for its RPG-lite single-player campaign, yet having a pretty good post-game where you work on your team of six dudes to beat the six dudes of other players. Thanks to the internet and Game Freaks adding in simpler, non-grindier ways of getting your six dudes up to speed, the post-game is better than ever. The single-player has been about the same as it always has, though.

Barring that, you could always get "Pokémon for Big Dick OGs" that is the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series. :getin:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Has there been any word yet on Pokemon X/Y's street pass functionality? I'm at college right now and that comic posted earlier is totally true and I'm pretty excited to see what effect that game has on the 3ds count on my campus.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Speaking of Rune Factory..

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/01/rune-factory-4-reaches-europe-spring-2014/

quote:

Rune Factory 4 will be available in Europe in spring 2014, Marvelous AQL and Zen United announced today. The European release will use Xseed’s localization for the U.S.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

It's a good localization. :allears: You guys are in for a treat!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I've never played a Rune Factory before and generally have a very low tolerance for ~anime~ but there's something really charming and fun about RF4!

I actually missed my train stop ( by 3 stops ) and had to re-route myself on the way home about 30 minutes out of the way, because I was tending my crops too intensely. :3:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Roguelike posted:

I just want to second that hard mode giving the bosses not just health/damage but more lasers/aggression/butterfly bullets is really refreshing (even though that should really be the standard by now). I haven't played a Rune Factory before but I went in expecting a fantasy Harvest Moon clone and it's way better than that.

I haven't seen anything but Hard mode, but I think it even gave the second boss a whole third phase. I'm really surprised by how good the combat feels for how simple it is.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

sentrygun posted:

I haven't seen anything but Hard mode, but I think it even gave the second boss a whole third phase. I'm really surprised by how good the combat feels for how simple it is.

No, that's in Normal mode, too. :colbert: Took me by surprise and got me killed the first time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

The idea of a turn-based RPG where you raise a team ala Dragon Warrior and make them fight other people's teams appealed to 14-year-old me, so I bought Pokémon Blue and enjoyed the hell out if it.

Same, except I actually got Dragon Warrior Monsters instead...

...we're never going to see Terry's Wonderland, are we?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

sentrygun posted:

Unfortunately it kind of goes downhill after a bit. Toward the end of the game, and especially in the post-game content, it has this weird difficulty curve where everything is either way too easy or you hit a brick wall with extreme difficulty spikes. The post-game dungeon is especially egregious where you'll suddenly be finding yourself facing grunt enemies 60 levels higher than you were a few rooms ago. Your own levels don't scale too well at that point so the solution seems to be to grind enemies endlessly for rare components so that you can make equipment to pick up the slack.

Still a really good game though. The farming component especially shines.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

I have no experience with Dealzon but they have a sale on a few games.

Mario & Sonic Olympic Winter 2014 (Wii U) Original - $49.99 Sale - $42.99
Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) Original - $49.99 Sale - $37.99
Sonic: Lost World (3DS) Original - $39.99 Sale - $34.99
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Wii U) Original - $59.99 Sale - $19.99

Newegg also has Sonic Lost World (both 3DS and Wii U) on sale for $5 pre orders.

Sonic: Lost World Wii U - $44.99 with promo code EMCXLVN225
Sonic: Lost World 3DS - $34.99 with promo code EMCXLVN224

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The other posters explaining the appeal to Pokemon are pretty much dead on. At the same time, the series hasn't changed drastically in the nearly two decades it has been going on and really has just been refining and adding touches here and there. If you played the game and didn't like it, or liked it but just felt it was slow (D/P did have that problem), then you could try it again. But if you felt the general play itself is too slow then that really hasn't changed. The new games might have a handful of old fans getting back into it, but if Pokemon never appealed to you before, it probably won't appeal to you now.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Pokemon is a game about assembling a team of The Coolest Pals like "Pile Of Gears" and "Lamp" and "Ice Cream Cone That Is Alive" and going on a magical journey to beat up everyone's pets.

Stunfisk owns I named mine Knotts and used him the whole game in Black

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Did we ever determine the official way to get 3 stars in MK7?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Vince Videogames posted:

Has there been any word yet on Pokemon X/Y's street pass functionality? I'm at college right now and that comic posted earlier is totally true and I'm pretty excited to see what effect that game has on the 3ds count on my campus.

You can put together a roughly ten-second Trainer PR Video where you choose the poses, expressions, angles, subtitles, Pokémon included, and share it with passersby. That's all we know for sure, I think.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tx2005 posted:

I'm sort of in a similar boat. I've never played a Pokemon game, I'm 30 and I'm curious what appeal this game would actually have for me.

It has a gigantic competitive scene surrounding it, since its battle system, which the average player assumes being dumbed down for kids, turns out to be a really complex chess-like monstrosity with over 600 pieces and I absolutely adore it.

Check it out yourself:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-54282517

This is a battle I had with a goon buddy an hour ago. You can't tell half of what the hell is going on in there if you aren't familiar with the game, but it's a bunch of predictions on top of predictions trying to outplay the opponent.

Pokemon is great because the story mode is 1) an RPG that easy to pick up by anyone including young kids, and 2) it's a longass tutorial for the post-game stuff that doesn't feel like a tutorial.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Are there any special deals on the XL going on, or is nothing changing until Black Friday?

I'd consider trading my DS Lite in for one, but how would I play my GBA games. :ohdear:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why isn't Rune Factory on the eshop? :argh:

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Pomp posted:

Why isn't Rune Factory on the eshop? :argh:

It is! Unless you have a PAL 3DS. In which case, uh, wait a few more months. :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

AfroSquirrel posted:

Are there any special deals on the XL going on, or is nothing changing until Black Friday?

I'd consider trading my DS Lite in for one, but how would I play my GBA games. :ohdear:

You'd probably not get more than $20-30 worth of credit for it anyways, you're better off just hanging on to it at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pokemon is a simple marketable RPG with a lot of customization that anyone can play but has unexpected depth. That's basically all there is to it. It's an RPG anyone can play and find something to enjoy unless you're looking for a story.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AfroSquirrel posted:

It isn't an amazing deal but walmart.com is packaging the Pokemon XL with a reservation for X or Y at $230 which saves like 10 bucks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Putting cool sunglasses on stunfisk was my personal top gaming moment of 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo how did I miss Etrian Odyssey and Rune Factory 4 coming out? :psyduck:

Gotta buy dis.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

naptalan posted:

It is! Unless you have a PAL 3DS. In which case, uh, wait a few more months. :v:

Wikipedia lied to me!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo how did I miss Etrian Odyssey and Rune Factory 4 coming out? :psyduck:

Gotta buy dis.

I want to buy EO:Untold, but I also know I'll completely ignore it when Pokemon comes out. Maybe I'll pick it up in a couple of months.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Rune Factory, EO, Pokemon, Phoenix wright, Zelda. :psyduck: I can't handle this many games.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

uPen posted:

Rune Factory, EO, Pokemon, Phoenix wright, Zelda. :psyduck: I can't handle this many games.

Remember when the 3DS "had no games"? Good times.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dunban posted:

Remember when the 3DS "had no games"? Good times.

Wii U owners are experiencing deja vu right now.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii U owners are experiencing deja vu right now.

I wouldn't call it a deja vu until there actually are some Wii U games! :haw:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's deja vu in the sense that it's going through that exact same drought that never should have happened with the 3DS, except now it makes even less sense because they should have known better. This poo poo comes up every other day, why'd I even mention it?

Here's something worth mentioning: the new Umihara Kawase game. Where is it, XSEED/NISA/Atlus/(insert non-terrible niche publisher here)?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I've been looking at the Soul Hackers 3DS port and it apparently has some bugs/translation issues.
Has anyone played the game and can tell me more?
Are there any game-breaking bugs?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's something worth mentioning: the new Umihara Kawase game. Where is it, XSEED/NISA/Atlus/(insert non-terrible niche publisher here)?

Attempting an early 2014 US release, at least: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fish-frenzied-platformer-umihara-kawase-headed-to-western-shores

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

uPen posted:

Oh god. I'm gonna be broke.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

scissorman posted:

I've been looking at the Soul Hackers 3DS port and it apparently has some bugs/translation issues.
Has anyone played the game and can tell me more?
Are there any game-breaking bugs?

I haven't encountered anything game-breaking so far except a single freeze that I could not reproduce, at about half through. The translation so far has been alright (the only typo I've recently encountered was in the Phoenix Wright demo).

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Healbot posted:

I haven't encountered anything game-breaking so far except a single freeze that I could not reproduce, at about half through. The translation so far has been alright (the only typo I've recently encountered was in the Phoenix Wright demo).
Thanks for answering.
I got impatient and posted in the Megaten thread (which you also answered) and it seems like the bugs should be no problem if I save often enough, so I'll probably get the game.
I really like the cyberpunk setting plus EO4 has made me want to play more first-person dungeon crawlers.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Rune Factory 4 question: how many story dungeons are there? I've just saved Dolce and am on to the next dungeon as the story urges, but with what I've seen so far it seems like that would definitely be a second-to-last thing... Except I'm not even through Spring yet. :psyduck: There has to be more, right? Right??

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Shoopuf posted:

Rune Factory 4 question: how many story dungeons are there? I've just saved Dolce and am on to the next dungeon as the story urges, but with what I've seen so far it seems like that would definitely be a second-to-last thing... Except I'm not even through Spring yet. :psyduck: There has to be more, right? Right??

These games are HUGE. In one of them you are close to finishing the story and bam, the true story is meant to be played by your son, all of these 12 hours were just a tutorial. I'm really fighting against myself to not get this game since pokemon is next week. What were they thinking? Why release anything a week from pokemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

I wouldn't call it a deja vu until there actually are some Wii U games! :haw:

We're pretty much waiting for our Mario Kart 7/3D Land in the form of Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

EDIT: Heck we even just got our Ocarina of Time 3D remake in Wind Waker HD :v:

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 3, 2013

• Locked thread