Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Captain Oblivious posted:

The sewers of Kirkwall were literally built to channel the blood of thousands and, over time, hundreds of thosuands of slaves to fuel ungodly experiments deep beneath the City.

None of that poo poo has been operational for centuries but the Enigma of Kirkwall strongly implies that something from beyond the Veil is lurking down there still.

Too bad we don't get to do anything with that info in game instead of engaging in the futility of trying to clean up the constant mistakes of Kirkwall's many fanatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Geostomp posted:

Too bad we don't get to do anything with that info in game instead of engaging in the futility of trying to clean up the constant mistakes of Kirkwall's many fanatics.

Partly. You also take down a unique pride demon, Hybris, that managed to cross the veil who has been soaking up the various egos of every big shot merchant, guard captain, Viscount, etc Kirkwall has ever had. It's one of the tougher boss fights on par with Xebenkeck and the Nexus Golem room.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Geostomp posted:

I'm pretty sure the big demon you fight after you fight the 3 (or was it 2?) ghost demon things is what is lurking under kirkwall. I think the writers realized it was a weak explanation which is why they brought up the corrupting presence of the not-architect in the DLC. Edit: It wouldn't have been a weak explanation if they had more action in the sewers (possibly not identical to all of the other sewers) regarding that piece of lore.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/The_Band_of_Three

I couldn't remember the names, but I'm guessing most other people won't either. If you do need the names to remember who you fought, they're at the end of the article I linked. Or you might not remember if you couldn't find all of the Journal Pages.

KoB
May 1, 2009

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Calling it now:

Iron Bull is that Qunari mercenary you meet in DA2 act 1 who doesn't want to be a Tal-Vashoth anymore.

Aveline shows up as a knight somewhere in Orlais.

There will be a subplot involving Merill, Morrigan, and eluvians.

The source of the fade rifts is the blood sluice machine/blood lake beneath Kirkwall channeling all the suffering and death in what was a pretty obvious attempt by the Tevinters to tear a hole in the veil... for reasons. Final mission sees the Inquisitor travel to Kirkwall to shut that poo poo down and repair the veil.

I dont really ever want to return to Kirkwall, but I think the one exception would be to level it to the loving ground.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HenessyHero posted:

Partly. You also take down a unique pride demon, Hybris, that managed to cross the veil who has been soaking up the various egos of every big shot merchant, guard captain, Viscount, etc Kirkwall has ever had. It's one of the tougher boss fights on par with Xebenkeck and the Nexus Golem room.

I think one reason people complained about the length of DA2 is some of the quests are surprisingly well-hidden. I don't think I got Xebenkeck until my second go-around, or Hybris until my third or forth.

I always got the one where you meet your cousin, though, and shittons of people missed that one.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Pick posted:

I think one reason people complained about the length of DA2 is some of the quests are surprisingly well-hidden. I don't think I got Xebenkeck until my second go-around, or Hybris until my third or forth.

I always got the one where you meet your cousin, though, and shittons of people missed that one.

You have a cousin?

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Doublehex posted:

You have a cousin?

I think that's the one where you help Gamlen recover his "greatest treasure." It's triggered by some hammer in his house and I don't think you have any reason to ever return there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doublehex posted:

You have a cousin?

Her name is Charade and she's Gamlen's daughter. It's a substantial quest by Act 3 standards.

In a weird twist, trying to reunite them gets a big approval boost from Fenris, but no one else I've brought with me :psyduck:.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 3, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pick posted:

Her name is Charade and she's Gamlen's daughter. It's a substantial quest by Act 3 standards.

In a weird twist, trying to reunite them gets a big approval boost from Fenris, but no one else I've brought with me :psyduck:.

I don't remember this.....does she want to go bowling?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

kingcom posted:

I don't remember this.....does she want to go bowling?

She's an archer and a contender with Orana for worst eyeshadow.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think she's also the only family member whose appearance doesn't change no matter what your Hawke looks like.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I hope that if there's an Aveline cameo they also bring back Donnic 'Crazy Eyebrows' Hendyr. That guy was the best.

EDIT:

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 3, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I hope that if there's an Aveline cameo they also bring back Donnic 'Crazy Eyebrows' Hendyr. That guy was the best.

I think Donnic looks like Starburns.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pick posted:

I think Donnic looks like Starburns.

OH poo poo. Now I can never look at Crazybrows in the same way again.

Also I looked up Hawk's Cousin and that hair :stare:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I never got that quest, though I did kinda just blaze through the last Act to finish that game as quickly as possible.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 3, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Pick posted:

I didn't find the Nexus Golem until my second runthrough and that was a terrible surprise :mad:, though it did foreshadow DAI and bit of its plot, presumably, if they're still going with that angle anyway.

kingcom posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I never got that quest, though I did kinda just blaze through the last Act to finish that game as quickly as possible.

You automatically get a quest to check up on Gamlen at some point in Act 3 but the quest doesn't really initiate until you read a note he leaves on his desk. I think Sebastien also gets a slight approval bonus depending on how the quest plays out.

VVVV You probably visited Gamlen to complete one quest, but never initated the next by looking at the letter on the table.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 3, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

I didn't find the Nexus Golem until my second runthrough and that was a terrible surprise :mad:, though it did foreshadow DAI and bit of its plot, presumably, if they're still going with that angle anyway.

You automatically get a quest to check up on Gamlen at some point in Act 3 but the quest doesn't really initiate until you read a note he leaves on his desk. I think Sebastien also gets a slight approval bonus depending on how the quest plays out.

I finished that game with an empty questlog so if I automatically got it I assumed I did it and it was such a non-event I don't remember?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

kingcom posted:

I finished that game with an empty questlog so if I automatically got it I assumed I did it and it was such a non-event I don't remember?

It's a pretty considerable watchamacallit... scavenger-hunt style quest.

You'd have to be clever to put together the clues if your companions didn't already know the answers.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pick posted:

It's a pretty considerable watchamacallit... scavenger-hunt style quest.

You'd have to be clever to put together the clues if your companions didn't already know the answers.

I don't know. I remember the intricate amount of crap you needed to do to for those goddamn mines but I just dont remember performing a scavenger quest for your cousin or anything in Act 3 for him. Was this a base game quest? I didn't play with any of the expansions or DLC etc so I know I didn't do a bunch of things in the game.

I explore pretty thoroughly in every area and dont leave it until I've talked to everyone possible and there apparently a bunch a stuff I missed (or blacking it out)?

Pick do a lets play of DA2 before DA3 comes up. (yes I know theres one already going on)

EDIT: Dont actually do this im just confused I missed a bunch of Act 3 stuff when I felt confident I had cleared the map.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 3, 2013

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The cousin quest involved, like... finding your uncle's croquet mallet or some poo poo, right? And somehow that related to some treasure he once hunted, which your cousin pretended to find to lure him out.

It was a weird quest.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Bored posted:

I'm pretty sure the big demon you fight after you fight the 3 (or was it 2?) ghost demon things is what is lurking under kirkwall.

Xebenkeck the Undying. It, along with Gaxkang the Unbound from DA:O and two other demons named The Formless One and Imshael that we haven't seen yet were the ones that originally taught humans blood magic.

It's definitely a good candidate for having a blood magic summoning array the size of a city dedicated to it.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 3, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Crotch posted:

The cousin quest involved, like... finding your uncle's croquet mallet or some poo poo, right? And somehow that related to some treasure he once hunted, which your cousin pretended to find to lure him out.

It was a weird quest.

Look at note
Talk to Gamlen
Go to Darktown (as per the note)
Loot note
Talk to Gamlen again
Investigate wallop mallet
Investigate tree, receive new note
Go to the fish processing area
Loot note again!
Go to cave
Meet Charade!
Talk to Gamlen again

kingcom posted:

Pick do a lets play of DA2 before DA3 comes up. (yes I know theres one already going on)

This thread gives me enough grief!

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 3, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stroth posted:

Xebenkeck the Undying. It, along with Gaxkang the Unbound from DA:O and two other demons named The Formless One and Imshael that we haven't seen yet were the ones that originally taught humans blood magic.

It's definitely a good candidate for having a blood magic summoning array the size of a city dedicated to it.

Doesn't the Legacy DLC explicitly say that Dumat the Old God taught the Tevinters blood magic?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pick posted:

Look at note
Talk to Gamlen
Go to Darktown (as per the note)
Loot note
Talk to Gamlen again
Investigate wallop mallet
Investigate tree, receive new note
Go to the fish processing area
Loot note again!
Go to cave
Meet Charade!
Talk to Gamlen again

Wait I remember investigating a tree that took me to a fishery....but nothing else...

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

pentyne posted:

Doesn't the Legacy DLC explicitly say that Dumat the Old God taught the Tevinters blood magic?

Yeah, it does. It's also implied that the Elves did it and that's why they all used to be immortal. The lore is rather contradictory on that point. I favor the theory that Gaxkang and co. did it, since they are demons, but it could be one of the other options.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stroth posted:

Yeah, it does. It's also implied that the Elves did it and that's why they all used to be immortal. The lore is rather contradictory on that point. I favor the theory that Gaxkang and co. did it, since they are demons, but it could be one of the other options.

What implied the Elves immortality was blood magic? The only major thing I remember was that they didn't age until humans settled near them.

edit: Found it

"However, in May 2013 Mary Kirby stated that city and Dalish elves have the same life expectancy, and that blood magic was the only way elves like Zathrian had "reclaimed" immortality"

Although that is literally just a post on the BSN. The writers should not being offering lore detail in response to random peoples' questions.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 3, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

pentyne posted:

What implied the Elves immortality was blood magic? The only major thing I remember was that they didn't age until humans settled near them.

The Imperial Chantry. And, to be fair, they probably know more about blood magic than anyone else.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Stroth posted:

The Imperial Chantry. And, to be fair, they probably know more about blood magic than anyone else.

More than the Tevinter Imperium?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

kingcom posted:

More than the Tevinter Imperium?

The Imperial Chantry. Not the Chantry of Andraste.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 3, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Stroth posted:

The Imperial Chantry. Not the Chantry of Andraste.

Ohhhhhh that makes more sense.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

pentyne posted:

edit: Found it

"However, in May 2013 Mary Kirby stated that city and Dalish elves have the same life expectancy, and that blood magic was the only way elves like Zathrian had "reclaimed" immortality"

Although that is literally just a post on the BSN. The writers should not being offering lore detail in response to random peoples' questions.

"Reclaimed" as in, Zathrian had become immortal by using blood magic, not that the ancient Elven immortality was from blood magic.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Okay, new question time:

What spec would you like to see return for DA:I? I loved the ranger spec, even though it felt like cheating and my bear would get stuck in doorways. I also loved the mage creation spec with the BEE spell. I can't stop talking about that swarm spell...I just love it so much.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

I was a huge fan of the Fade Guardian spec, even if its defining ability did drain stamina constantly ON TOP OF reserving a significant portion of stamina. It gave you bonus to everything and converted your damage to Spirit, which ignored armor. As a Guardian/Berserker/Fade Guardian, my 2H warrior was pretty boss. I just had to time my stances carefully.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leelee posted:

Okay, new question time:

What spec would you like to see return for DA:I? I loved the ranger spec, even though it felt like cheating and my bear would get stuck in doorways. I also loved the mage creation spec with the BEE spell. I can't stop talking about that swarm spell...I just love it so much.

I like the bee spell because it seems practical outside of combat. I like to think that my mage character can do more than just fight. Maybe light the fireplace, maybe chill some groceries, maybe pollinate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pick posted:

I like the bee spell because it seems practical outside of combat. I like to think that my mage character can do more than just fight. Maybe light the fireplace, maybe chill some groceries, maybe pollinate.

Bioware Social Network posted:

What would Morrigan's honey taste like?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

DW spec for warriors, which I brought up a few pages back. With a nice balance between the 2H warriors brute and the Rogues ninja.

Bard was cool too, I almost always had a Bard/Ranger Liliana or Bard/Assassin Zevran.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Can someone explain to me just how it is that BSN is so drat creepy. I mean, how did it reach that point?

I swear to God, Fantasy CRPG's have some of the creepiest fanbases. Do a dA search for Neverwinter Nights and you get dozens of drawings of some girl's character in romantic situations with Bishop, a character who wasn't even romancable! It's like she is trying to accommodate her own shortcomings with a fantasty wank.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If there's one thing I have to give DA2 over DA:O now that I'm playing the two side by side, it's that armor designs in DA2 have more personality or are simply less stupendously stupid and ugly than the typical DA:O piece. Heavy and Massive armor were the only pieces to really have much variety in DA:O and most of them were bland as gently caress or bizarrely overdesigned so they didn't even really fit together properly, clipping through themselves even in default postures and idle animations when they should "fit" best. The only DA:O armor I could stand wearing for any real length of time was the Heavy Chainmail set. Found a mod that imported some of the best armors from DA2 and its DLCs to DA:O and now I'm rocking the Stonehammer set (aka the best set) through Ferelden.

Shame you couldn't really enjoy that armor variety and design that much because only one character could wear the drat things and 2/3s were for classes you weren't playing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doublehex posted:

Can someone explain to me just how it is that BSN is so drat creepy. I mean, how did it reach that point?

Any place where people discuss video games a lot will go lunatic given enough time.

Dec 26, 2012

Pick posted:

Any place where people discuss video games a lot will go lunatic given enough time.

There's a fine line between the usual internet "lunatic" and "several thousand pages of Talimancers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

01011001 posted:

There's a fine line between the usual internet "lunatic" and "several thousand pages of Talimancers"

There are boobs in the game and a considerable number of years in between releases where they not only need to talk about boobs, but talk about those boobs in a way that'll stand out and be memorable even among the saddest of sadmen.

• Locked thread