Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I decided to try and make some changes to the U/R Young Pyromancer deck Zoness built for me after reading a couple of articles. I came up with this.

Deck: Izzet Blitz

//Lands
8 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Izzet Charm
3 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
3 Quicken
3 Shock
4 Steam Augury

//Creatures
4 Goblin Electromancer
4 Guttersnipe
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption
3 Annul
3 Hammer of Purphoros

Display deck statistics

I was concerned about so few creatures so I decided to try and add the Spellheart Chimera, plus I decided to move Mizzium Mortars as a sideboard for decks that use bigger creatures. Plus I figure Izzet Charm could be used depending on my situation.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BigRed0427 posted:

I decided to try and make some changes to the U/R Young Pyromancer deck Zoness built for me after reading a couple of articles. I came up with this.

I was concerned about so few creatures so I decided to try and add the Spellheart Chimera, plus I decided to move Mizzium Mortars as a sideboard for decks that use bigger creatures. Plus I figure Izzet Charm could be used depending on my situation.

You'll never want more than 2 Hammers in your deck, so you can drop one from the sideboard. And since you're only running 10 spells that work off of Goblin Electromancer, you may just want to drop him altogether. If you were running more 1R or 1B (like Cyclonic Rift, maining Mizzium, Essence Scatter, or Negate), he would probably be worth it. Nivix Cyclops would make a good replacement, though running 4 may be a bit much. Maybe 2 or 3 with a couple extra spells?

Edit: Oh, and you'll want some Counterfluxes in the sideboard for going against UW and Esper control decks. Turn 6 with a Hammer out is much nicer when you can keep your Spellheart from being countered.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 3, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, Changes made.

//Lands
8 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Izzet Charm
3 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Quicken
4 Shock
4 Steam Augury

//Creatures
4 Guttersnipe
3 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
3 Peak Eruption
3 Annul
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Counterflux
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Display deck statistics

My biggest sticking point right now is over Mizzium Mortars or Lightning Strike. Someone already suggested cutting Quicken.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 3, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

The Overload for Counterflux, does that mean he can't cast spells for the turn?

It would just counter every other spell on the stack; it's not so much Overload as it is Overkill. :rimshot:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I said I wasn't going to give up on MURDERGOATS, and I wasn't lying!

This will be for FNM, and I'm expecting the meta to skew aggro.

Deck: MURDER GOATS! v2

//Land
4 Blood Crypt
2 Rakdos Guildgate
11 Mountain
4 Swamp
3 Mutavault

//Creatures
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Frostburn Weird

//Spells
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Dreadbore
3 Shock
3 Molten Birth
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
3 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Trading Post

//Sideboard
3 Doom Blade
2 Ultimate Price
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Slaughter Games
3 Peak Eruption
3 Mizzium Mortars

Display deck statistics

The biggest change here is the addition of Frostburn Weird. It's a four butt for two mana that can crack back for four if needed. I tried the full four Mutavault and they came up way too much.

I surprisingly only have two Lightning Strike, so I kept four Tymaret in the deck. I've come to realize that the Murder King is like Purphoros, he really only needs to be a three of.

Sideboard is very temporary.

I'm starting to wonder if 24 land is too much for this deck, average cmc for everything is 2.25, perhaps dropping a swamp for a Shock?

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 3, 2013

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I just want to say, MURDERGOATS! is my favorite deck ever. It's just fun while still being a solid deck, which in a game full of "empty hand, turn cards sideways, win" is rare.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Now that I've gotten a few matches in with a substantially similar list (main differences are Scavenging Ooze over Imposing Sovereign and Selesnya Charm in the main over Rootborn defenses), a few thoughts:

- I'm not a huge fan of Imposing Sovereign; I'd rather deal with haste guys and blockers by just having bigger dudes rather than by tapping them down.

- I like having a couple Scavenging Oozes - it's yet another big guy, and it randomly puts you out of burn range and hoses Whip.

- How is it working out leaving Selesnya Charms in the board? I feel like I'd be boarding them in for Rootborn Defenses almost every time. Flashing in a dude or pumping something out of Anger range does a decent job mitigating the effects of sweepers as it is, and exiling their big blocker or giving trample modes is often enough to just kill them when they don't sweep.

- I've been running a split of Advent and Polukranos in the 4-slot. Firing off Monstrify for one or two is relevant more often than one might expect.

- Fiendslayer Paladin has been doing work for me out of the board vs. RDW. Since their whole deck has two toughness and their burn spells don't hit him, he can put up a pretty good roadblock, and if they send a bunch of guys (say, to get him out of the way with Firefist Striker) you'll probably get to hit them and gain 2.

I agree that Imposing Sovereign is under-performing in the list. Scavenging Ooze is an interesting option, it's certainly good post wrath. I was thinking about putting Dryad Militants in. The charms / rootborn thing is basically the 'pre sideboard' against esper, which I expect to face often. I agree that in an open field charm is better. My thinking was along the lines that most midrange threats don't start at 5 power, so it's not as target rich an environment, and it's blank against quite a few of the marquee threats in the format. That said, it is a decent trick to catch people with. I looked long and hard at Fiendslayer. I think if I expect enough red, he probably gets the nod.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Retooled my Mono Green list, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, any thoughts?

Deck: New Std Mono Green 3

//Lands
21 Forest
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Spells
2 Bow of Nylea
2 Garruk, Caller of Beasts

//Creatures
2 Arbor Colossus
3 Boon Satyr
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Experiment One
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Gyre Sage
3 Kalonian Hydra
3 Kalonian Tusker
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Reverent Hunter
3 Witchstalker

//Sideboard
3 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Pit Fight
3 Pithing Needle
3 Fade into Antiquity
1 Ratchet Bomb
2 Scavenging Ooze

Display deck statistics

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Okay Mono Red Blitz fans, it's time.

First things first: I updated the code to track number of Turn x kills. I'll have to mess with the numbers as we go, but in my first run I lumped all Turn 7+ kills together and it was ~1.5%, which I think is significant enough that I want to split it up just a bit.

For creatures, I incorporated Burning-Tree Emissary into my code via Frank's Deck #5. This was very straightforward under my new TurnKill method.

I also made my first attempt at coding for a haste creature. It sorta works like a burn spell and sorta like a creature with enters the battlefield damage. So the order of operations is:

- For Mono Red, apply the same mulligan logic but keep 1-land hands that have 3+ 1-drops
- Untap, Upkeep (initialize variables :v:), Draw if Turn>1
- Main Phase play a land if able
- Calculate Combat Damage of creatures already on the field, subtract from Opponent's life
- Try going for the burn win
- Play Burning-Tree Emissarys
- Play Haste creatures that put the most power on the board, assume you're actually doing this Main Phase, subtract from Opponent's life
- Try going for the burn win again
- Second Main put the most creature power onto the field
- Spend remaining mana on burn

So the big assumption I'm making is if you have a haste creature you just windmill slam it. For Goblin Guide this makes sense, but maybe it doesn't make sense for Chandra's Phoenix.

Speaking of Chandra's Phoenix, the first simulation I ran was to look at Owen Turtenwald's Mono Red Blitz deck. We can lump the two power 2-drops together and the Foundry Street DenizAllIns with the other two power 1-drops. Random tangent: it's bittersweet to see Gore-House Chainwalker here just after Champion of the Parish rotated out, a combo only I was crazy enough to play for months. Anyways we can setup the constraints to see what the code thinks the deck should look like.

Mono Red Blitz Experiment #1: Given a format with up to 12 Rakdos Cacklers, up to 4 Gore-House Chainwalker, up to 4 Chandra's Phoenix, up to 4 Burning-Tree Emissary, Shocks, Lightning Strikes, and Goblin Shortcutters, the optimal deck is:

12 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Shock
10 Lightning Strike
24 Land

Average Turn Kill: 4.59

Turn 4 Kill%: 50.2%
Turn 5 Kill%: 42.8%
Turn 6 Kill%: 5.2%
Turn 7+ Kill%: 1.8%

I'm not surprised that BTE and Cacklers maxed out, but I am surprised that the Chainwalker and Phoenix did. Okay with that, let's put the full constraints on and see how Owen's deck does.

Mono Red Blitz Experiment #2: Given Owen Turtenwald's deck, the optimal deck is

12 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
6 Goblin Shortcutter
22 Land

Average Turn Kill: 4.69

Turn 4 Kill%: 38.8%
Turn 5 Kill%: 54.8%
Turn 6 Kill%: 5.18%
Turn 7 Kill%: 0.89%
Turn 8 Kill%: 0.20%
Turn 9+ Kill%: 0.13%

There's always going to be a limitation here, which is the lack of code for Mutavault and the lack of intelligence when playing haste creatures, unless I spend a ton more time figuring those out.

There is something I can do though: Figure out if Magma Jet is worth playing, i.e. what value of scry slows down the deck?

Mono Red Blitz Experiment #3: Given a format with 12 Rakdos Cacklers, 4 Gore-House Chainwalker, 4 Chandra's Phoenix, 4 Burning-Tree Emissary, up to 4 Shocks, up to 4 Lightning Strikes, up to 4 Magma Jets, and Goblin Shortcutters, the optimal deck is:

12 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
2 Goblin Shortcutter
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
0 Magma Jet
26 Land

Average Turn Kill: 4.65

Turn 4 Kill%: 44.1%
Turn 5 Kill%: 48.6%

Well then. How about if we force the simulation to include 4 Magma Jets instead of shocks?

Mono Red Blitz Experiment #4: Given a format with 12 Rakdos Cacklers, 4 Gore-House Chainwalker, 4 Chandra's Phoenix, 4 Burning-Tree Emissary, 0 Shocks, up to 4 Lightning Strikes, 4 Magma Jets, and Goblin Shortcutters, the optimal deck is:

12 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
2 Goblin Shortcutter
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
26 Land

Average Turn Kill: 4.69

Turn 4 Kill%: 40.7%
Turn 5 Kill%: 51.8%

There you have it. Can Scry 2 make up for the decreased percentage of nut draws? Maybe in another deck, but probably not this one. Again, note the Land difference between Owen's and this deck. But again, I think that comes from the amount of interaction you expect, which is what I'd like to explore next time.

(fake edit: also I'm not posting the code yet because I shamefully used "global" variables in Java, which apparently is a no-no, but I really wanted to track the kill percentages so whatever. And the testing for the three burn spells above had me jamming Magma Jet's code into a three-drop creature slot. Once I code everything to be more flexible then I'll post it.)

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 3, 2013

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Shouldn't you be putting down haste creatures first only if you can win that turn? The restrictions on that shouldn't be that much more difficult to put in than trying to go for the burn win right?

Can you trying adding ash zealot to the mix?

edit: I guess it doesn't matter if the max power you can put out is the same, but that's not going to be the case most of the time when the only haste creature is phoenix.

Algid fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 3, 2013

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I'm still in the learning phase of MTG and I'l trying to build my first deck, but I'd like some advice on my next steps. I want to make a red/green deck for aggressiveness and to upgrade my creatures. I am currently doing a process of elimination do that I can have a balanced number of red and green creatures/spells and a decent amount of land. Here's what I currently have my eye on what I'd like to use:

Red Creatures:
1 Ogre Battledriver
1 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Shivan Dragon
1 Minotaur Skullcleaver
1 Borderland Minotaur
3 Goblin Shortcutter
2 Dragon Hatchling
2 Ill-Tempered Cyclops
2 Riot Piker
1 Flamespeaker Adept
1 Purphoro's Emissary
1 Firefist Striker

Red spells:
1 Titan's Strength
2 Lightning Talons
4 Shock
4 Chandra's Outrage
2 Thunder Strike
1 Spark Jolt
2 Magma Jet
1 Shiv's Embrace
2 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Volcanic Geyser

Green Creatures:
1 Chameleon Colossus
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Garruk's Horde
1 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Brindle Boar
1 Voracious Wurm
2 Elvish Mystic
1 Deadly Recluse
2 Leafcrown Dryad
1 Nessian Asp
1 Nylea's Disciple

Green Spells:
1 Commune with the Gods
1 Predator's Rapport
1 Howl of the Night Pack
1 Naturalize
1 Forced Adaptation
1 Aerial Predation
2 Savage Surge
1 Trollhide
1 Giant Growth
1 Tower Defense

Artifacts and other stuff
1 Polis Crusher
1 Temple of Mystery
2 Encroaching Wastes
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Ring of Thune
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Witches' Eye
1 Flamecast Wheel
1 Opaline Unicorn

Here's a link to my whole inventory if there's any card I should reconsider: http://deckbox.org/sets/491407

So what would be the best to use? One idea I like is using some of the life gaining spells and have a creature like Voracius Wurm get a power boost and have Scavenging Ooze to eat up dead creatures and power up. As far as the red side goes, I'd like to have some heavy hitters and enchantments. Also, to use Flamekeeper Adepts ability to get a attack boost when you scry.

Any suggestions?

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 3, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Ok, here's my first shot at creating a new standard mill deck. I'm going to be honest, this deck is poo poo, for now. I'm mostly trying to throw something together to get the Duskmantle Guildmage-Jace, MA interaction with ConsAberr condition out here for fine tuning. I'm really going to be dependent on you guys to get the rest of the deck in shape, as I don't really know what mill is still in standard. It's for FNM. Win conditions are: Get Jace out along with Duskmantle Guildmage, pump out dMG's first ability, run Jace's 0 ability, reduce opponent to 0, as well as get ConsAberr out, pump him big, swing for the fences.

That's why I call this deck: http://deckbox.org/sets/493665
Land:
4 Dimir Guildgate
7 Island
6 Swamp
3 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

4 Sinister Possession
4 Tome Scour
4 Chronic Flooding
4 Duskmantle Guildmage
3 Ordeal of Erebos
4 Paranoid Delusions
4 Wight of Precinct Six
4 Mind Rot
4 Pilfered Plans
1 Duskmantle Seer
2 Consuming Aberration
3 Jace, Memory Adept
4 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

kizudarake posted:

Ok, here's my first shot at creating a new standard mill deck. I'm going to be honest, this deck is poo poo, for now. I'm mostly trying to throw something together to get the Duskmantle Guildmage-Jace, MA interaction with ConsAberr condition out here for fine tuning. I'm really going to be dependent on you guys to get the rest of the deck in shape, as I don't really know what mill is still in standard. It's for FNM. Win conditions are: Get Jace out along with Duskmantle Guildmage, pump out dMG's first ability, run Jace's 0 ability, reduce opponent to 0, as well as get ConsAberr out, pump him big, swing for the fences.

That's why I call this deck: http://deckbox.org/sets/493665
Land:
4 Dimir Guildgate
7 Island
6 Swamp
3 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

4 Sinister Possession
4 Tome Scour
4 Chronic Flooding
4 Duskmantle Guildmage
3 Ordeal of Erebos
4 Paranoid Delusions
4 Wight of Precinct Six
4 Mind Rot
4 Pilfered Plans
1 Duskmantle Seer
2 Consuming Aberration
3 Jace, Memory Adept
4 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker

Here is the version of this deck that I am currently working with:

http://deckbox.org/sets/492453

8 Island
6 Swamp
2 Mutavault
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

3 Jace, Memory Adept
4 Tome Scour
3 Glaring Spotlight
4 Psychic Strike
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Stymied Hopes
3 Doom Blade
3 Cyclonic Rift

4 Duskmantle Guildmage
4 Omenspeaker
3 Consuming Aberration

Sideboard:

4 Duress
2 Dimir Charm
2 Ratchet Bomb
3 Wight of Precinct Six
3 Dissolve
1 Hero's Downfall

Sort of similar. My sideboard is probably horrible because I have no idea what should be in it. I am running four guildmages because I have found they are hard to get out and keep out. When the deck curves out for the turn 6 kill, it is awesome.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

//Land
4 Blood Crypt
2 Rakdos Guildgate
11 Mountain
4 Swamp
3 Mutavault

//Creatures
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Frostburn Weird

//Spells
3 Dreadbore
3 Shock
3 Molten Birth
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
3 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Trading Post

//Sideboard
3 Doom Blade
2 Ultimate Price
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Slaughter Games
3 Peak Eruption
3 Mizzium Mortars

Display deck statistics

The biggest change here is the addition of Frostburn Weird. It's a four butt for two mana that can crack back for four if needed. I tried the full four Mutavault and they came up way too much.

I surprisingly only have two Lightning Strike, so I kept four Tymaret in the deck. I've come to realize that the Murder King is like Purphoros, he really only needs to be a three of.

I'm starting to wonder if 24 land is too much for this deck, average cmc for everything is 2.25, perhaps dropping a swamp for a Shock?

This deck is beautiful.

Cut a land and mise a thoughtseize? Then put more in the sideboard if you find a deck/card that you're really just dead too? If not then adding another shock seems good.

E: Also, maybe throw 2 posts in the sideboard if you go against a deck that runs a lot of Anger of the Gods?

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 3, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, Changes made.

//Lands
8 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Izzet Charm
3 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Quicken
4 Shock
4 Steam Augury

//Creatures
4 Guttersnipe
3 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
3 Peak Eruption
3 Annul
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Counterflux

Display deck statistics

My biggest sticking point right now is over Mizzium Mortars or Lightning Strike. Someone already suggested cutting Quicken.

I love Quicken, personally. A one mana cantrip that triggers all your dudes? Yes please! And being able to Quicken a Mizzium is really nice when your opponent thinks his guys are safe from errant Lightning Strikes and Shocks. You may also want to consider sideboarding a few Electrickery. 1R to ping all of your opponent's guys for 1 is devastating against other token decks like YP, Master of Waves, and Elspeth. That is a meta call, though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

Here is the version of this deck that I am currently working with:

Sort of similar. My sideboard is probably horrible because I have no idea what should be in it. I am running four guildmages because I have found they are hard to get out and keep out. When the deck curves out for the turn 6 kill, it is awesome.

millburn drysdale

Here's my new version, brought more into line with yours. I splashed red in there because I don't have Hero's downfall, but I do have dreadbore, and I think laying out a couple of blood crypts and steam vents might confuse my opponents a bit.

It feels like the deck might be helped by a way to force the opponents to discard more from their hand, to reduce their answers, though.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 3, 2013

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

kizudarake posted:

http://deckbox.org/sets/493665?

Here's my new version, brought more into line with yours. I splashed red in there because I don't have Hero's downfall, but I do have dreadbore, and I think laying out a couple of blood crypts and steam vents might confuse my opponents a bit.

It feels like the deck might be helped by a way to force the opponents to discard more from their hand, to reduce their answers, though.

That is what the four Duresses are in the sideboard for, and I would have Thoughtseizes there if I could afford them. I'm not sure if having them maindeck is better or not.

I've also toyed with using Breaking//Entering (casting just the Breaking half) as another major burn spell with the Guildmages.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, Changes made.

//Lands
8 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Izzet Charm
3 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Quicken
4 Shock
4 Steam Augury

//Creatures
4 Guttersnipe
3 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
3 Peak Eruption
3 Annul
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Counterflux

Display deck statistics

I have a deck that's almost the same and here's what I do different:

I don't have Electromancers. I don't ever have a problem with having enough cretures. There's always a Guttersnipe and/or a Young Pyromancer in play. The Chimeras are your best win conditions. I would drop the Electromancers and put in either Dissolves or more burn.

I see people playing Quicken with no sorceries in their decks and I'd love to know why. I have 3 Turn // Burn in my deck instead. It's my way of dealing with toughness 4 or higher creatures. I can see putting Quickens in the sideboard to move in with Mizziums but that seems like a lot of sideboard space and effort when Turn // Burn does the same thing just fine. I guess if you really expect the game to go long and you'll need to Overload the Mortars then yeah it makes sense but in my local meta I haven't seen a whole lot of Selesnya midrange or whatever.

My sideboard is still in process, but I'm thinking of adding Syncopates against Control because I hate having to save my Dissolves for Sphinx's Revelation and I feel like more counters are a good idea in that matchup.

Speaking of Control, that's going to be a BAD matchup for you because you can't dump all your creatures on the table and go nuts with burn. You have to always be ready for Verdict which means no more than 1 creature on the field at any given time. Make your opponent use a Verdict on a single Pyromancer and a couple tokens before dropping Guttersnipe next turn and going in with burn. If they get off a Sphinx's Revelation you might as well scoop, so make sure to have a counterspell of some kind ready. If you can get a mid-game or late-game Chimera into play and they don't have an answer, they're done.

Good luck! This is an amazingly fun deck type to play and I'm having a really good time with it. :)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Algid posted:

Shouldn't you be putting down haste creatures first only if you can win that turn? The restrictions on that shouldn't be that much more difficult to put in than trying to go for the burn win right?

Can you trying adding ash zealot to the mix?

edit: I guess it doesn't matter if the max power you can put out is the same, but that's not going to be the case most of the time when the only haste creature is phoenix.

That logic isn't general enough for something like Goblin Guide.

For next time I'll branch out and look at the other top decks from Worcester, including a comparison of, say, Ash Zealot vs. BTE. But again, I'm taking it one step at a time so I don't fumble over the code structure, hence my analysis of Owen's deck only.

My initial musing at haste creature logic is:
- Given you can't kill them this turn with Haste+Burn,
- Play out the maximum power of haste given your mana available,
- UNLESS you have enough creatures + burn in hand to put enough power on the board, burn at end of turn, play a land if available, and burn + haste next turn for more than your Opponent's life.
- ADDITIONAL UNLESS you can put double or more power of creatures onto the board than you can Haste Power.
- (optional) Calculate the odds that your next card drawn will help you win next turn, incorporate into the decision.

Real ugly, but it's doable. It assumes that your normal creatures of equivalent size are equal enough in power level to not matter.

Compare say, Gore-House Chainwalker to Ash Zealot when curving out:
Turn 2 - 0 vs 2 damage
Turn 3 - 3 vs 4 damage
Turn 4 - 6 vs 6 damage

Now say you have both in hand. Which is the play on turn 2 and which on turn 3?
Turn 2 - Ash Zealot, 2 damage
Turn 3 - GHC, 4 damage
Turn 4 - 9 damage
Turn 5 - 14 damage, etc.

versus

Turn 2 - GHC, 0 damage
Turn 3 - Ash Zealot, 5 damage
Turn 4 - 10 damage
Turn 5 - 15 damage, etc.

So if your only other cards are Shock, Lightning Bolt, and lands then yes it'd matter. And if you're going for a t4 kill and lead with Cackler, and have 2 Shocks in hand it matters. But the benefit of chaining together haste creatures and assuming some amount of interaction should be enough for the goldfishing.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 3, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I forgot about breaking. I threw it in.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I have a question: Right before rotation, I saw some really neat looking Gruul aggro decks that ran 4 Domri Rade, a bunch of mana dorks (Elvish Mystic, BTE, etc.), and 4 Thundermaws. I wanted to put it together and play it but I only have 1 Domri Rade and I traded my 2 Thundermaws as part of a deal for a Bob. I really didn't want to spend all that money making a deck I'd only get to play for 2 weeks.

Anyway, now that Stormbreath Dragon seems to be the Thundermaw replacement, would a similar deck be viable? It was pretty much all creatures except for the standard 4 Searing Spear and 4 Pillar of Flame, so now that would translate to 4 Lightning Strike and 4 Magma Jet (I like it better than Shock because of the scrying). Ideally you land Domri on turn 2 or 3, draw tons more ramp with Domri, then slam down Dragons ASAP and crush people.

So is something like this worth bothering with or should I just go with Turtenwald RDW instead?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have a question: Right before rotation, I saw some really neat looking Gruul aggro decks that ran 4 Domri Rade, a bunch of mana dorks (Elvish Mystic, BTE, etc.), and 4 Thundermaws. I wanted to put it together and play it but I only have 1 Domri Rade and I traded my 2 Thundermaws as part of a deal for a Bob. I really didn't want to spend all that money making a deck I'd only get to play for 2 weeks.

Anyway, now that Stormbreath Dragon seems to be the Thundermaw replacement, would a similar deck be viable? It was pretty much all creatures except for the standard 4 Searing Spear and 4 Pillar of Flame, so now that would translate to 4 Lightning Strike and 4 Magma Jet (I like it better than Shock because of the scrying). Ideally you land Domri on turn 2 or 3, draw tons more ramp with Domri, then slam down Dragons ASAP and crush people.

So is something like this worth bothering with or should I just go with Turtenwald RDW instead?

There's a R/G Midrange deck that runs early acceleration, domri and Chandra, with 7 slots for lightning strike and mizzium mortars. I think the current iteration is a little slow against RDW and not quite resilient enough against U/W.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's called RG monsters, and it could have won the tournament with a more experienced deckbuilder and pilot.

Is it worth bothering? It's a coinflip but IMHO in the long run that deck has more play and flexibility to adapt than Red Blitz, so if you have the cash to build and play it for a year go for it.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I love Quicken, personally. A one mana cantrip that triggers all your dudes? Yes please! And being able to Quicken a Mizzium is really nice when your opponent thinks his guys are safe from errant Lightning Strikes and Shocks. You may also want to consider sideboarding a few Electrickery. 1R to ping all of your opponent's guys for 1 is devastating against other token decks like YP, Master of Waves, and Elspeth. That is a meta call, though.

Izzet Staticaster worked really well for me pre-rotation against the human tokens decks. Haste and Flash means you can nail them in the middle of their mass token attack, or in response to a sacrifice; I don't know if there's going to be a deck fueled by x/1 tokens in the current meta but he was a pretty good two of in the sideboard.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

YeehawMcKickass posted:

//Land
4 Blood Crypt
2 Rakdos Guildgate
11 Mountain
4 Swamp
3 Mutavault

//Creatures
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Frostburn Weird

//Spells
3 Dreadbore
3 Shock
3 Molten Birth
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
3 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Trading Post

//Sideboard
3 Doom Blade
2 Ultimate Price
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Slaughter Games
3 Peak Eruption
3 Mizzium Mortars

Display deck statistics

This is just the best. :3: I like the changes, though I'd consider Dark Betrayal in the sideboard for dealing with Obzedat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kzin602 posted:

Izzet Staticaster worked really well for me pre-rotation against the human tokens decks. Haste and Flash means you can nail them in the middle of their mass token attack, or in response to a sacrifice; I don't know if there's going to be a deck fueled by x/1 tokens in the current meta but he was a pretty good two of in the sideboard.

It is kind of superfluous in this deck since we want lots of instants and sorceries. We already have 3 sets of creatures with 3cmc, and Statiscaster doesn't hit everything on the field. An overloaded Electrickery will not only tag the tokens, but will also kill the YP, itself (plus any other weenies like Firefist Striker) and allows you to ping a 2 toughness dude while blocking with a 1/1 token of your own.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kzin602 posted:

I have 2 Staticasters in my sideboard currently just because Young Pyromancer is all over the place in my local meta. It's extremely effective. I also foresee Master of Waves becoming a part of my local meta as well and it will be good against him too.

Edit: Elspeth tokens too!

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

OK, ran with everyone's suggestions and here's how it came out:

Deck: Theros Dimir Control

//Main
8 Island
8 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave
3 Syncopate
3 Devour Flesh
2 Dimir Charm
3 Doom Blade
3 Returned Phalanx
3 Thrill-Kill Assassin
3 Warped Physique
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Psychic Strike
2 Wall of Frost
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
3 Ętherling

//Sideboard
3 Aqueous Form
3 Viper's Kiss
3 Cyclonic Rift
3 Nightveil Specter
3 Read the Bones

Display deck statistics

Big Changes:

- Added 3x Aetherling to the main board
- Redid the sideboard
- Screwed with the mana base a little

Going to go and playest this tonight, thanks for the suggestions!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So based on Owen Turtenwald's Mono-Red Aggro, I've been looking at it and trying to figure out what it loses to.

The big things I notice are "anything with 3 toughness" as only 4 cards in the deck can actually kill such a thing and Jace, Architect of Thought

Been toying with Deadguy Red 2013:
code:
1 drops
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen

2 drops
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
2 Goblin Shortcutter

3 drops
2 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock
2 Dynacharge

Lands
14 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt
4 Mutavault

Sideboard
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Skullcrack
3 Illness in the Ranks
3 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption
The thinking is, tokens will be a thing - Illness gives me an easy way to deal with them and keep burn held back for actual creature cards. I don't like Mortars as much as Dreadbore in this situation, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of running Rakdos Guildgate either, which would be required for Dreadbore.

The Dynacharge pair let me sneak through lethal on turn 4 without needing to commit as much, vs the Phoenixes which are much slower (two hasty power on 3 isn't super, and getting it back is minimum 8 mana over 2 turns, not exactly my strong suit)

I also looked at Hellraiser Goblin, since he does everything the hammer does (gives my team haste) and swings for 2 as well.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 3, 2013

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tharizdun posted:

So based on Owen Turtenwald's Mono-Red Aggro, I've been looking at it and trying to figure out what it loses to.

The big things I notice are "anything with 3 toughness" as only 4 cards in the deck can actually kill such a thing and Jace, Architect of Thought

Been toying with Deadguy Red 2013:
code:
1 drops
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen

2 drops
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
2 Goblin Shortcutter

3 drops
2 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock
2 Dynacharge

Lands
14 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt
4 Mutavault

Sideboard
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Skullcrack
3 Illness in the Ranks
3 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption
The thinking is, tokens will be a thing - Illness gives me an easy way to deal with them and keep burn held back for actual creature cards. I don't like Mortars as much as Dreadbore in this situation, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of running Rakdos Guildgate either, which would be required for Dreadbore.

The Dynacharge pair let me sneak through lethal on turn 4 without needing to commit as much, vs the Phoenixes which are much slower (two hasty power on 3 isn't super, and getting it back is minimum 8 mana over 2 turns, not exactly my strong suit)

I also looked at Hellraiser Goblin, since he does everything the hammer does (gives my team haste) and swings for 2 as well.

have you considered legion loyalist? he sure does like dynacharge and he also makes tokens a joke.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

Isn't that what the burn is for in those matchups?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jassi007 posted:

have you considered legion loyalist? he sure does like dynacharge and he also makes tokens a joke.
Is Legion Loyalist better or worse than Foundry Street Denizen? I ask because it looks like Owen didn't play Loyalist, and there's probably a reason for that.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Isn't that what the burn is for in those matchups?
Only 4 pieces of burn can kill a Centaur Healer without help.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

Is Legion Loyalist better or worse than Foundry Street Denizen? I ask because it looks like Owen didn't play Loyalist, and there's probably a reason for that.

I'm not a pro or anything but it seems like Legion Loyalist would be a great sideboard card against Young Pyromancer, Master of Waves, or Elspeth.

quote:

Fair enough. I guess that's another reason to run the Dynacharges.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just tweeted @OwenTweetenwald asking why he runs Foundry Street Denizen over Legion Loyalist. Ball's in his court now.

I mean, here's some plays:

t1: FSD
t2: BTE -> Firefist Striker, swing for 3
t3: Chandra's Phoenix, swing for 8, 1 creature can't block.

t1: Legion Loyalist, swing for 1
t2: BTE -> Firefist Striker, swing for 1
t3: Chandra's Phoenix, swing for 7, tokens and 1 other creature can't block

Foundry Street Denizen ends up being 11 vs 9 damage over the first 3 turns. Not sure if that's worth "tokens can't block and your team is First Strike and Trample."

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 3, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

I just tweeted @OwenTweetenwald asking why he runs Foundry Street Denizen over Legion Loyalist. Ball's in his court now.

Good idea.

My best guess right now would be that with all the 1-drops he can potentially be 3/1 or even 4/1 for a turn or two. Additionally, I'm guessing this deck really doesn't care as much about toughness 3 or higher and could probably just swing with everything every turn for the sheer damage and not care about losses.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Good idea.

My best guess right now would be that with all the 1-drops he can potentially be 3/1 or even 4/1 for a turn or two. Additionally, I'm guessing this deck really doesn't care as much about toughness 3 or higher and could probably just swing with everything every turn for the sheer damage and not care about losses.

Man, I really want to find room for a Chandra in here, because "one-sided Howling Mine" sounds loving awesome at 2RR, even though it would completely destroy what the deck is doing and turn it into some sort of Big Red or AIR monster instead of Deadguy or Sligh.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

Man, I really want to find room for a Chandra in here, because "one-sided Howling Mine" sounds loving awesome at 2RR, even though it would completely destroy what the deck is doing and turn it into some sort of Big Red or AIR monster instead of Deadguy or Sligh.

I don't see a problem with a singleton Chandra in there in place of one of her Phoenixes or something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't see a problem with a singleton Chandra in there in place of one of her Phoenixes or something.

Chandra doesn't actually do very much the turn she comes down (burn for 1 and falter? not super for 2RR), and wanting to stretch the game to turn 5 isn't something I'm a fan of in Deadguy Red. It's the same reason I despise Hammer of Purphoros in these sorts of lists (but in a slower, more card-advantage-focused deck like Big Red I would adore it)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

Chandra doesn't actually do very much the turn she comes down (burn for 1 and falter? not super for 2RR), and wanting to stretch the game to turn 5 isn't something I'm a fan of in Deadguy Red. It's the same reason I despise Hammer of Purphoros in these sorts of lists (but in a slower, more card-advantage-focused deck like Big Red I would adore it)

Isn't the point of Hammer that you don't play it 3rd turn and instead play it 4th or 5th turn so that you get more out of it when it hits the table? And also aren't cards like Hammer intended to be average value on the turn you play it in order to get a LOT more out of it in the next turn or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tharizdun posted:

Owen also didn't run dynacharge. I think the value of loyalist go up when your pumping your teams power. Also he may not have considered how powerful elspeth was going to be? Curious to see if he responds on twitter.

• Locked thread