Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

They're both from outer space, I guess. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Crazy Ted posted:

You know what would have made the Thin Men better? If they were dressed up as creepy clowns instead of just Dude in Suit #73.

Dude.

gently caress you.

That's horrifying.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There should be a special animation where MEC soldiers lose their poo poo and kill thin men in a horribly graphic way. If only to reinforce the belief that the in-game soldiers hate them. Because everyone does.

I'm fairly certain that literally everyone agrees with this.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
$45 for an expansion? I paid that much for the actual game!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

FauxGateau posted:

There should be a special animation where MEC soldiers lose their poo poo and kill thin men in a horribly graphic way. If only to reinforce the belief that the in-game soldiers hate them. Because everyone does.

I'm fairly certain that literally everyone agrees with this.

Thin Men should be used as improvised melee weaponry for MEC troopers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

WarpedNaba posted:

$45 for an expansion? I paid that much for the actual game!

I don't know about your currency, but enemy within is showing up for $30 US, discounted to $27 US for preordering on steam

That's half of the price of the main game on release, and $30 was a pretty standard price for an expansion back when full games where $40-$50 US.
It seems pretty reasonably priced to me.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
If that's the case you might as well grab the entire shebang off of steam for $40 today and save five bucks. That really sucks for console users.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 3, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure its 45 on consoles, but its also a standalone game on consoles. Sucks if you bought EU there first, though.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't know about your currency, but enemy within is showing up for $30 US, discounted to $27 US for preordering on steam

That's half of the price of the main game on release, and $30 was a pretty standard price for an expansion back when full games where $40-$50 US.

If you have the pleasure of living in AU/NZ it costs $45 US because AAA developers and Steam hate us.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Geight posted:

They need to be wielded as poison clubs, that the MECs light on fire before swinging.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Sooo I haven't played this since I beat it at launch (XBOX) and I seem to have missed out on a few things. Has the multiplayer been balanced? Has any meaningful DLC come out? Can someone bring me up to speed please?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The real question is whether or not MECs will panic and kill all your squadmates.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I always assumed the money unit in XCom was either millions or billions of dollars. You guys are completely missing with solider costs though. The actual salary of a Super Elite Special Forces Navy Seal is a very small fraction of the cost. It all goes into the training, as well as the training for the other 19 guys who washed out for every one who passed. That's why there's no monthly cost for soldiers, when you're dealing in units of a million/billion, the 20k or whatever they're getting a month in pay doesn't even register.

Groetgaffel posted:

Not to mention, who the hell would say no to being Adam Jensen?

The most obvious answer to this question is Adam Jensen.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Capoeira Capybara posted:

Sooo I haven't played this since I beat it at launch (XBOX) and I seem to have missed out on a few things. Has the multiplayer been balanced? Has any meaningful DLC come out? Can someone bring me up to speed please?

No on the multiplayer, but the Enemy Within expansion is coming out soon. It's looking to be loving amazing with lots of new poo poo. As for stuff that's already out, Slingshot was the only one. Enemy Within is basically the result of the bashing it got.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - to expand, don't buy slingshot. It's a waste of money for what you get. Completely worthless.

counterfeitsaint posted:

That's why there's no monthly cost for soldiers, when you're dealing in units of a million/billion, the 20k or whatever they're getting a month in pay doesn't even register.

I've always liked to think that since they're paid monthly you never actually have to cut them a check because they all die before you need to send one out. :getin:

Don't know if it was posted here, but

TheMopeSquad posted:

You can get it [Enemy Within] for $21 on GameFly with a 20% discount code (GFDOCT20).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 3, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Drifter posted:

^^^ - to expand, don't buy slingshot. It's a waste of money for what you get. Completely worthless.

It's $1.74 today, which I can honestly say is worth the price of the hats. But yeah, don't play the Slingshot missions.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Well, I put 90 hours into it before I finally finished a game. I'd definitely rank it up there with some of my favorite games, and I almost reflexively started a new game.
Sorry X-COM, it is time for you to go into the closet for awhile.

Godspeed "Bull". :patriot:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Drifter posted:

Do you know of any expiration date on this?

Edit: I guess it's kind of suggested by the code itself, huh

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 4, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drifter posted:

For the UK site, it works out to £17.99 after the 20% discount. On GMG it has a 10% discount and is £17.99. Huh.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

You know what would have made the Thin Men better? If they were dressed up as creepy clowns instead of just Dude in Suit #73.

And one of the 'activiation' animations for them is about 8 sliding their way out of a parked car.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Could we call them 'Fun men' instead?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Geight posted:

While I haven't found the time to play Human Revolution, the internet has made me aware that Adam Jensen himself, in fact, never asked for this.

counterfeitsaint posted:

The most obvious answer to this question is Adam Jensen.
I would like to point out that in contrast to the "What a shame." -line from it's grandfather, "I never asked for this." is only one of three or four responses to the same question.
It just happen to be the one the internet made a meme out of. Personally I always used the line saying it's pretty drat sweet.
:goonsay:

That said, this being XCOM soldiers, they'd probably end up more like Gunther Hermann than Adam Jensen. :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

New thread title?

X-Com: Enemy Within: Now everyone will see why I needed a skull-gun

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

quiggy posted:

Well the soldiers are the best of the best in the world so governments don't give them up for cheap, while the interceptors are from Uncle Joe's Interceptor Rodeo ten miles down the road.
I always thought that in this version of X-COM, interceptors / vehicles are cheap because they're not built by DoD contractors AKA Beltway bandits that charge $200M to fill about $150M in overhead costs and that the soldiers are the people that were too hardcore for even Blackwater / Xe or whatever they're called now and take roughly a $400k / yr cut for their massive insurance costs.

Also, the cost of the barracks there is nothing, so I think we could consider the construction and even maintenance of a lot of things calculated funny.

In short, we could probably just make up this crap as we go along and it'd all be justifiable somehow, it's a goddamn video game.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I have a bigger deal with them shutting down the X-com project if you do poorly. I can see them saying, hmm let's replace the commander, not "we don't like these results, SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING"

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Geight posted:

Every melee attack against a Thin Man should have 80% miss chance, because they're so agile. That way, we can keep on hating them forever.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Groetgaffel posted:

I would like to point out that in contrast to the "What a shame." -line from it's grandfather, "I never asked for this." is only one of three or four responses to the same question.

Ahem, I think you'll find he also said it in one of the CGI trailers released, before the game was out. :goonsay:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I have a bigger deal with them shutting down the X-com project if you do poorly. I can see them saying, hmm let's replace the commander, not "we don't like these results, SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING"

Well the you lose cutscene makes it pretty clear that the aliens have infiltrated world governments so far that they have the Council under mind control.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
It's also plausible that the X-COM project is one of many initiatives, and although you think it's the best, the Council has a few others that they can move funding toward (which won't work). Like how in Pacific Rim they pull funding for the Jaeger project in order to build a wall which gets torn down immediately. It's not an uncommon trope

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Alchenar posted:

New thread title?

X-Com: Enemy Within: Now everyone will see why I needed a skull-gun
skul-gun. :colbert:

Well, I went and pre-ordered Enemy Within. Now to wait for it to be November. :smith:

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
Aww I got excited because the Steam page doesn't show a release date I thought it was out now :( Oh well, I'm currently replaying it on the iPad where it works really, really well. I got a bit too excited on a flight back from Munich the other day and shouted BOOOOOM after killing 3 mutons and a cyberdisk with a well placed rocket. Didn't go down well with people around me for some reason?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Please stop ripping Australasians off Valve, $50 for an expansion is just ridiculous, and completely unjustifiable given it's digital distribution.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aries posted:

Please stop ripping Australasians off Valve, $50 for an expansion is just ridiculous, and completely unjustifiable given it's digital distribution.

It's also labelled as DLC.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Aries posted:

2K Games sets the prices, not Valve.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Aries posted:

Isn't Australia the region where Adobe ripped off its users to the tune of 2x the retail price of everyone else in the world? There's something about buying software in Australia that's completely out of whack.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Well the you lose cutscene makes it pretty clear that the aliens have infiltrated world governments so far that they have the Council under mind control.

Ah that makes sense, only heard about the game over, never had it happen to me :smuggo:

(I'm a pansy who is on first run through of normal)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you don't want to pay that much just wait 3 months for the Winter Sale. The game will probably be patched up by then too.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I took the game over cutscene as the aliens judging the human experiment a failure if you lose 8 countries. Shen says early on they could conquer us whenever they wanted, so the doom tracker is probably a literal counter the Ethereals have on their mothership.

Of course I had to watch the game over scene on Youtube. :colbert:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Darox posted:

If you have the pleasure of living in AU/NZ it costs $45 US because AAA developers and Steam hate us.

You can thank the ~value added tax~ for this.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know why but you know what else X-Com needs? A mod where every piece of dialogue is replaced with Simlish from the various Sims games. For some reason a soldier shooting off a rocket while spouting a bunch of gibberish is entertaining to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

FoolyCharged posted:

30$ (30€ because gently caress you europe I guess) was the price for an expansion back when an expansion meant a new campaign at the very least. Not 1 extra class, 2 extra enemies and 10 more skills.

• Locked thread