Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'd like to own a copy of H.G. Wells' The Time Machine that includes the additional "The Grey Man" in the story.

Is there an edition that has that added excerpt, but perhaps some liner notes or analysis as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I did a quick search and it seems like the only edition of The Time Machine to include that is by Easton Press. If you want a critical edition, though, there's a bunch out there. Two that seem promising are Broadview's, which includes a ton of appendixes, notes from Wells on the book and contemporary reviews. WW Norton's edition has notes, a bunch of Wells' science writing and a mix of modern and period reviews.

Rock Wallaby
Dec 21, 2008

For Neal Stephenson fans, how does the Baroque Cycle compare to his other works? Is it worth making time for?

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

SanitysRequiem posted:

For Neal Stephenson fans, how does the Baroque Cycle compare to his other works? Is it worth making time for?

I have finished the first two Baroque Cycle books and I think they are amazing, but their attention to detail reaches almost ridiculous levels so you need to REALLY love Stephenson (which I do). I would say they are much more similar to Cryptonomicon, or more like three Cryptonomicons, as far as their scope and style than something like Diamond Age or Snowcrash. There will be stretches of historical details that are not relevant to the plot that span a hundred or so pages so if you like that sort of thing, give it a shot.

Rock Wallaby
Dec 21, 2008

Thanks for the info, I'll probably get a used copy and see if it sparks my interest.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Anyone read Desperation by Stephen King? I'm just starting it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Lolita is a fantastic book and I've always loved the prose, but what's stopped me from reading more than three times is that my copy has this cover:

Although arguably it's better than this more modern cover which came up in GIS:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

There's actually a new book out called Lolita: Story of a Cover Girl where cover artists have designed covers for the book, there are some really amazing ones.

Two of my favorites:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

:drat: That's perfect.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Yeah that pink room cover is my favorite by far. My copy of Lolita has such an embarrassing design that I covered it with a paper bag a la grade school textbooks.

In other news, Amazon is launching Kindle MatchBook in October:

Amazon.com posted:

Introducing Kindle MatchBook: For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases will soon allow you to buy the Kindle edition for $2.99, $1.99, $0.99, or free. Available for thousands of great print books purchased new from Amazon, going all the way back to 1995 when Amazon first opened its online bookstore.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1001373341

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an actual list of books yet. I only buy about half my books from Amazon right now, but this could convince me to finally get a kindle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Arg can I buy hard copies of ebooks though

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So I'm about halfway through MaddAddam.

I haven't read any Atwood outside of this series (which will change soon) but I had no idea that Atwood could be this funny. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

taco show posted:

Yeah that pink room cover is my favorite by far. My copy of Lolita has such an embarrassing design that I covered it with a paper bag a la grade school textbooks.

In other news, Amazon is launching Kindle MatchBook in October:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1001373341

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an actual list of books yet. I only buy about half my books from Amazon right now, but this could convince me to finally get a kindle.

Oh man wow, amazon's gonna get so much of my money when I eventually get a kindle.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Am I the only one around here who has read J. N. Stroyer's novels The Children's War and A Change of Regime? For those that don't know, they are on the premise of "What if Germany never invaded Russia in WWII and held onto Europe to the present day", and told from the viewpoints of a decent-sized cast of characters, mainly a forced laborer (read: slave)who later escapes, a member of the Polish resistance who has infiltrated the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (or RSHA for short) and is vying for the top spot in the Nazi Hierarchy - Führer, and the infiltrator's sister, a high-ranking member of the Armia Krajowa. There are pretty graphic descriptions of torture in the book (the author interviewed modern-day survivors of state-sanctioned torture). A Change of Regime no more than an hour or two after the end of The Children's War and closes most of the plot threads. I would have liked to see a third novel set after ACoR but I'm not holding my breath. I am currently re-reading TCW for the 4th or 5th time.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Apologies if this ends up being a recommend me a book post.

I've always struggled with and been fascinated by the coward archetype in literature and film.

Whether it's Falstaff, the Malfoys from Harry Potter, or Wormtongue from LOTR, I just feel like I'm missing the full point of the archetype, I get that they play a good comparison to the courageous hero, but it feels like there is something else that I just don't pick up on. Does anyone know of a good lecture, talk, paper, (or even book) that looks deeper into the classic coward?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

spidoman posted:

Apologies if this ends up being a recommend me a book post.

I've always struggled with and been fascinated by the coward archetype in literature and film.

Whether it's Falstaff, the Malfoys from Harry Potter, or Wormtongue from LOTR, I just feel like I'm missing the full point of the archetype, I get that they play a good comparison to the courageous hero, but it feels like there is something else that I just don't pick up on. Does anyone know of a good lecture, talk, paper, (or even book) that looks deeper into the classic coward?

No suggestions but I'd add Scooby and Shaggy from Scooby-doo to the trope, as positive cowardly figures.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finished listening to the audiobook of Fifty Shades of Grey. I remember when people said it was basically Twilight fan fiction, but I didn't realize they were being literal. Pretty much every thing about the book is awful, just like the Twilight movies. At least the ending is the logical conclusion.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I miss the Twilight mock thread, we should do that with one of it's bastard offspring. The highlight for me was the poster who made the Bella costume with chestbursting baby.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Josh Lyman posted:

I finished listening to the audiobook of Fifty Shades of Grey. I remember when people said it was basically Twilight fan fiction, but I didn't realize they were being literal. Pretty much every thing about the book is awful, just like the Twilight movies. At least the ending is the logical conclusion.

The characters were explicitly Twilight characters in the first draft.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, when it was self-published, the author had to change the character's names because it was a literal Twilight fanfiction. Think about that: one of Art Garfunkel's favorite books is an erotic Twilight fan fiction with the names changed.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I guess I'll cancel my subscription to his book club then.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

60 pages into Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, and I'm bored to tears. Am I alone?

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Concerning the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony: do the books need to be read in order? I have read the first and have the third sitting on my shelf.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Ninja Gamer posted:

Concerning the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony: do the books need to be read in order? I have read the first and have the third sitting on my shelf.
As I recall, yes. In order to follow the overall plot, otherwise I believe each book can stand on it's own self-contained sub-plot.

Matthew_O
Sep 19, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm still a week into SA forums: is there a forum or a post for non-fiction? Or did I just have my eyes glaze over and not see it?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Matthew_O posted:

I'm still a week into SA forums: is there a forum or a post for non-fiction? Or did I just have my eyes glaze over and not see it?

There are some threads for broad topics, like the following. There used to be others but these seem to be the only active ones. For eg, there used to be a science book thread but it died :(

The History Book Thread!
Essays, long form journalism, and writing about the real world

Make a new thread if you have a broad topic to recommend/request - eg: threads for books about war, biology, film-making, etc etc, but really specific threads like "books about Ukranian folk dancing in the mid-to-late 17th century" would be useless. For those specific requests you could always try the recommendation thread which gets questions about everything.

edit: if you do start a thread though, try to have some recommendations ready to go and put some effort into an OP. Don't just make a thread with one sentence like "Anyone know any books about x?"

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 25, 2013

Matthew_O
Sep 19, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hedrigall posted:

There are some threads for broad topics, like the following. There used to be others but these seem to be the only active ones. For eg, there used to be a science book thread but it died :(

The History Book Thread!
Essays, long form journalism, and writing about the real world

Make a new thread if you have a broad topic to recommend/request - eg: threads for books about war, biology, film-making, etc etc, but really specific threads like "books about Ukranian folk dancing in the mid-to-late 17th century" would be useless. For those specific requests you could always try the recommendation thread which gets questions about everything.

edit: if you do start a thread though, try to have some recommendations ready to go and put some effort into an OP. Don't just make a thread with one sentence like "Anyone know any books about x?"

Thank you, I might just do that after I search to make sure what I post is not covered in another thread.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Matthew_O posted:

I've been here for years and I was actually looking for a non-fic thread in here last week, was surprised not to see one.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
There is one, just in a different subforum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415084

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Sad news: Colombian poet and novelis Alvaro Mutis died today at 90. If you're not familiar with his work, NYRB has a great collection of his Maqroll novellas.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Please tell me I am not going crazy...

I recently read the Racketeer, by John Grisham. Some of his work I enjoy. Maybe I'm alone, but the Racketeer (and a lot of his books) just seem like he's writing the same character over and over in almost the same story over and over. Which I would do if I was getting paid like he is, but...

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010
There's a book thread in D&D too which is mostly concerned with history, politics & economics: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416322
It's mainly left wing and tends towards the academic but that really ought not to put you off - the recommendations are pretty solid.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RIP Tom Clancy.

I hated all your non Jack Ryan stuff but thanks for the books :)

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

If you haven't heard, it's a science fiction novel for the generation raised on Sega Genesis and oculus rifts. Will update when I'm done with this, as I'm starting it this weekend.

And I'd love to hear what you guys thought of the sequel to "The Shining" if anybody has picked it up yet. I'm going to do so sometime in the future when I get the money.

Xires fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 3, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AlphaXires posted:

If you haven't heard, it's a science fiction novel for the generation raised on Sega Genesis and oculus rifts. Will update when I'm done with this, as I'm starting it this weekend.
I'll save you some time, it's loving horrible. It's a never ending string of 80's references with no point whatsoever.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I'll save you some time, it's loving horrible. It's a never ending string of 80's references with no point whatsoever.

I disagree, the '80s references are what the world in that story is built out of. It's definitely something to be aware of before you start reading it though, since it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea. If you don't like the '80s and/or video games, you're probably best off giving it a miss. I loved every bit of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

elbow posted:

I disagree, the '80s references are what the world in that story is built out of. It's definitely something to be aware of before you start reading it though, since it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea. If you don't like the '80s and/or video games, you're probably best off giving it a miss. I loved every bit of it.
I enjoy video games, some 80's pop culture, and Neal Stephenson who Cline unsuccessfully tries to ape. I tried to stick with it as long as possible but it was just so dumb and grating.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Not sure if anyone cares, but up there I said I was sixty pages into Robinson Crusoe and bored to tears.

Well, it turned out to be pretty good. It just occurred to me that I should leave this update, in case my comment prejudiced anyone against the book.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

AlphaXires posted:

And I'd love to hear what you guys thought of the sequel to "The Shining" if anybody has picked it up yet. I'm going to do so sometime in the future when I get the money.

I just finished it yesterday. It isn't really a sequel to The Shining. I mean, Dan Torrance is the main character, but it isn't a horror novel. It's more a combination of a character analysis (Danny, living in the shadow of both The Overlook and his father) and a thriller.

It was decent enough on its own merits, but the way you feel about it will depend on how you feel about Jack Torrance. Vague spoilers: If you think he was a flawed and complicated person who might've actually made something of himself if it wasn't for The Overlook, you'll probably dislike it. King (through Danny) focuses more on the monster he became instead of the tragedy of the person he might have been. And there's a soap opera plot turn about 3/4 through that made me roll-eyes like a motherfucker.

All that said, it wasn't awful, and it did have some pretty good moments, mostly when it focuses on Dan's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who else has a book stack going on?