Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Batham posted:

I agree with that defibs are now completely optional, rather than being so good that they're basically mandatory. You can only get rezzed once, or atleast for a while, and the charge-up time for defibs means that you'll likely kill yourself if you try to combat rez. They're still good, but not in the sense that they define the class anymore.

I never noticed the change since I've been revived twice in the past two days, and just unlocked them myself. Has anyone figured out if you can still kill with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

LAV is stupid good now. TOW missile can double tap to instantly kill anything in close quarters or can be gracefully flown into anything that sits still for 2 seconds. If someone is lasering then it turns into a top-attacking fist of god.

Was having a great time mulching enemy armor until I got killed when I turned the corner and was hit with 6 different explosives at once. Then my APC refused to respawn for the entire match. gently caress.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

John Magnum posted:

I feel bad knowing that I'm one of the mostly incompetent scrubs that can't shoot for poo poo that the good players bemoan :C At least I try to PTFO and chuck medkits around even if I can't kill anyone.
I was having this issue before but my problem was that I was way too used to tap firing from BF3 and basically losing every firefight in the beta even after getting the drop on someone. In the beta I'm holding to fire(correcting against the recoil) and it's been a night and day difference ever since.

Eyefinity is still stuttering but I'll try reverting to previous drivers so I don't have to play at 1920x1080.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

What is that?
The logo for Novalogic's Delta Force series. They made awesome military sim games and I still play F-22 Lightning 3 for nostalgia factor :(

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Son of a BITCH that Delta Force logo OWNS.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I overclocked my Core i7 920 from 2.66GHz to 3.20GHz to compliment my 660ti and I went from 45 fps with frequent stutter to 50-70 fps with nearly no stutter. I even go over 100 fps if I look in the air. This is with low or off everything except ultra mesh quality.

Now if whatever they've done to their servers can just stop so I'm not disconnecting as soon as I join that'd be loving great. It was fine three hours ago. and kept getting worse. Stupid open beta. :argh:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

Now if whatever they've done to their servers can just stop so I'm not disconnecting as soon as I join that'd be loving great. It was fine three hours ago. and kept getting worse. Stupid open beta. :argh:
If you think it's an open beta now, wait until tomorrow when the masses get access :unsmith:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Acquilae posted:

If you think it's an open beta now, wait until tomorrow when the masses get access :unsmith:

It says they are taking the servers down around 8PDT in preperation for open beta. It wasn't just me. A few goons also noticed the servers slowly roasting away in the fire.

I really should just record and upload what "lag" is to me and just put "Brought to you by AT&T and land of the free home of the brave capitalism FYGM"

I'm bitter because it's not November so I can't have my PS4 and I want BF4 to release for real so I can actually play it without progress wipe. I've been poop socking the beta so hard.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

keyframe posted:

Yea thank loving god for that.

Also I don't get the earlier "It is pay2win you need battlechests to unlock everything! :qq:" complaints because everything seems to unlock pretty fast and I am hardly poopsocking this game, playing like 2-3 matches a day and I have most unlocks. I hope that unlock speed carries over to the final game or they make it even faster.

Wait, you can't get battlechests with in-game money/points or something? I thought it'd be like ME3.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait, you can't get battlechests with in-game money/points or something? I thought it'd be like ME3.

You get a battlepack every other rank up starting with your first one. There's at least 100 ranks in the game so you'll be getting quite a few.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Batham posted:

Go right ahead! If I knew how to share emblems I'd send it to you.

Well, I don't even have a clue what you used to make the triangle outline :downs: might just be my fever, will try again later.

Also, I just realized that somehow the BL editor doesn't have a goddamn knife/sword primitive? There's goddamn A10s and such, but no blade? Really :dice: ? Only like 90% of unit patches/service tags use them or anything. Guess I'm stuck using my skull'a'clubs for now. Edgier than a 13 year old atheist.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I may have started sending Origin Friend requests to some of the guys who posted their names in the thread so I have people to join on starting tomorrow. Don't be afraid if you see a request from BromanJenkins.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Batham posted:

Go right ahead! If I knew how to share emblems I'd send it to you.
Just link your BF4 profile; if anyone clicks on the emblem they can copy and use them too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, we don't have a mumble for this already? People are gonna wait for the full game?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Acquilae posted:

Just link your BF4 profile; if anyone clicks on the emblem they can copy and use them too.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/EuBatham/stats/296899258/pc/

Enjoy!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

What is that?

It's the logo for Novalogic's old Delta Force series. The newer ones suck, but the old ones were great. I wouldn't recommend playing them now for the first time though, they've aged poorly. They require a bit of nostalgia to enjoy.

edit: For those who wanted to copy my logo, I noticed that I was using a figure that needed to be unlocked. Luckily enough, it looked (almost) the exact same as a default figure, so I swapped it. If you couldn't copy it before, you should be able to do it now!

Batham fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 4, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Insert name here posted:

Objectives are for nerds; camp rooftops all day:

(About everyone past that last sniper is a goon)

Wow your game looks real ugly. Is that low settings?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Batham posted:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/EuBatham/stats/296899258/pc/

Enjoy!

It's the logo for Novalogic's old Delta Force series. The newer ones suck, but the old ones were great. I wouldn't recommend playing them now for the first time though, they've aged poorly. They require a bit of nostalgia to enjoy.

That's a ton of work. :staredog: Shamelessly stolen and added you on BLog.

Also, Delta Force 2 is still pretty well playable, if you can get it to run. ADS is weirdly placed, but I'm pretty sure they were the first, and for a long time only, game that did actual bullet physics, including zeroing scopes and such. Also, masterkey.

Ed: welp, the emblem's saved in the list, but it doesn't seem to show up when selected for use.

E2: Oh, evidently I haven't unlocked one of the shapes you've used? How the hell is that possible.

Final edit: The problem was shield5, I replaced em with shield4 and it works, slightly less pretty though. If anyone else has the same issue, use mine VVV Looks even better. Can't wait to run with the Delta crew!

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 4, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Already updated mine also, everyone should be able to copy it now without a problem. Sorry for the mess.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Augh I want to love this game I just get so loving mad when I play terribly <_____>

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So it turns out that sometimes the elevators don't despawn when the skyscraper is demolished, leading to Emergent Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI1PjO7rrIA

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I never played ME3, but I assume that there is a mechanism in place to keep you from getting the same poo poo in multiple battlepacks, right? It's not like there is trading or crafting or whatever in this game.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BBJoey posted:

So it turns out that sometimes the elevators don't despawn when the skyscraper is demolished, leading to Emergent Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI1PjO7rrIA

Sometimes the building doesn't despawn, either. Was running around yesterday with everyone floating in mid-air while the building was still shown as standing. Could shoot through whatever debris were supposed to be there, too.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Target Practice posted:

I never played ME3, but I assume that there is a mechanism in place to keep you from getting the same poo poo in multiple battlepacks, right? It's not like there is trading or crafting or whatever in this game.

If it's like ME3, then anything that you can unlock, can only drop once. XP boosters will keep dropping again and again, but you can only get a certain scope for a certain rifle once.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Target Practice posted:

Yeah. ME3 had one difference in that each gun and class could be upgraded multiple times (better damage, accuracy, etc. for guns, more colour options for classes), but there's none of that in BF4. BF4 instead has shitloads of optional unlocks so I have to wonder how long it would take to cap it out (to say nothing of new Premium unlocks).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Apparently, if you start BF4 in offline mode, the Beta has an intro clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLUrZIsR9g

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 4, 2013

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Grey Fox V2 posted:

What is that?

logo from an old game called Delta Force.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
...so what time can the unwashed masses download the beta?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I want to like this game but right now I can't because of how good the assault rifles are and also the u-1000 light machine gun. There is absolutely no reason a guy with irons should be able to get every round on me from 500 meters when I am using a dmr with an acog and can barely see him. The assault rifles just kill so fast, the scar especially and the ak-12 is so god drat accurate. I'm dying the moment I spawn over and over to assault rifles, there is absolutely no way to retaliate. Why use anything else?

So many times am I getting killed by the scar to see the guy running away or on the other side of a building before I ever hit the ground. Jesus christ.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 4, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I was pissed when I found that I couldn't get a fully accelerated IFV through those things. Now that I saw what they can do; holy poo poo DICE, 10/10.
I saw someone quickly drive an IFV over the bollards yesterday. So it is possible. Maybe you just need to find the right angle to hit 'em.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

The Mantis posted:

...so what time can the unwashed masses download the beta?
EA won't tell us.
https://help.ea.com/article/battlefield-4-beta-release-times

quote:

Open Beta (October 4th):
The Battlefield team is hard at work getting the Open Beta live.

The beta will be rolling out worldwide over the course of the day, and won't necessarily be made available at the same time across platforms. Be sure to keep checking back here for the latest updates.

You can always check to see if you have access to the game by logging out and logging back in to your Origin client.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Faltion posted:

I want to like this game but right now I can't because of how good the assault rifles are and also the u-1000 light machine gun. There is absolutely no reason a guy with irons should be able to get every round on me from 500 meters when I am using a dmr with an acog and can barely see him. The assault rifles just kill so fast, the scar especially and the ak-12 is so god drat accurate. I'm dying the moment I spawn over and over to assault rifles, there is absolutely no way to retaliate. Why use anything else?

So many times am I getting killed by the scar to see the guy running away or on the other side of a building before I ever hit the ground. Jesus christ.

First off, where did you find a clear 500m shot, and how long did you stay still to get killed? Also, you're gonna poo poo yourself when you meet someone using an 870 with slugs... Just the buckshot 870 will stop someone dead at 20m, slugs extend that to sniper range.

Just got the 870.... 25 more kills till I get the best all-around weapon. The shotguns right now are BC2 levels of awesome.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 4, 2013

jkr266s
Feb 16, 2008

Kaustik posted:

LAV is stupid good now. TOW missile can double tap to instantly kill anything in close quarters or can be gracefully flown into anything that sits still for 2 seconds. If someone is lasering then it turns into a top-attacking fist of god.

Was having a great time mulching enemy armor until I got killed when I turned the corner and was hit with 6 different explosives at once. Then my APC refused to respawn for the entire match. gently caress.

I have a buddy that this has happened to several times, he goes on a rampage in the "LAV", dies and then watches the enemy "LAV" spawn and die several times before ours will respawn. At first we just thought we were missing it spawning and a pubbie getting killed in it quick, but he camped it out once, during which I killed the enemy "LAV" twice myself and watched it die a third time before ours respawned.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Naturally Selected posted:

First off, where did you find a clear 500m shot, and how long did you stay still to get killed? Also, you're gonna poo poo yourself when you meet someone using an 870 with slugs... Just the buckshot 870 will stop someone dead at 20m, slugs extend that to sniper range.

Just got the 870.... 25 more kills till I get the best all-around weapon. The shotguns right now are BC2 levels of awesome.

There are plenty of long streets on the Shanghai map, combined with the height of the rooftops 500m doesn't seem so unlikely. Suffice to say it was probably more like 300m, but that doesn't change my point. And it's not like I stand in the middle of the street taking pot shots. I was behind a 6 foot wall peeking over enough to see the guy. It's a super common occurrence I am getting outgunned at medium to long ranges by assault rifles and lmgs, and this is with me using the bolt-actions and the dmrs.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

John Magnum posted:

I feel bad knowing that I'm one of the mostly incompetent scrubs that can't shoot for poo poo that the good players bemoan :C At least I try to PTFO and chuck medkits around even if I can't kill anyone.

If you're capping flags, dropping heals, and reviving people, you aren't one of the bad ones.

The bad ones take transport helos to the furthest corner of the map and take potshots at other bad players who are doing the same poo poo. They're the ones who park tanks inside their own deployment and try to use it like artillery. Most importantly, they're the ones who give vehicles to the other team by bailing out because they're worried about the bullets that scratched up the paint job are going to ruin their precious 0.3 KDR.

Spot things, heal/resupply dudes, revive bros, repair tanks, stand on flags. Shooting comes later.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

That's awesome. BF3 was retardedly lovely in that regard and I'm glad they learned from their mistakes. Unfortunately it always seem DICE does a step forwards and a step backwards. I haven't followed the BF4 development and I really loathed BF3; however, BC2 was one of my all-time favorite multiplayer games. Is BF4 pretty much just a continuation of BF3 or does it play more like BC2?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Xaris posted:

That's awesome. BF3 was retardedly lovely in that regard and I'm glad they learned from their mistakes. Unfortunately it always seem DICE does a step forwards and a step backwards. I haven't followed the BF4 development and I really loathed BF3; however, BC2 was one of my all-time favorite multiplayer games. Is BF4 pretty much just a continuation of BF3 or does it play more like BC2?

This depends on who you ask right now, but it seems like the people who can run it well say BC2 and those with performance issues say BF3.

It's BC2.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
In two years:

"We should be punched in the loving dick for BF4's Battlepacks."

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am really trying to see what is so bad about battlepacks. It is basically a bunch of unlocks every other level you gain. How is it any different than unlocking stuff as you gain levels in BF3?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

keyframe posted:

I am really trying to see what is so bad about battlepacks. It is basically a bunch of unlocks every other level you gain. How is it any different than unlocking stuff as you gain levels in BF3?

There's a random chance it won't be exactly what they were working on unlocking at that moment.

I don't really like them either, but if the release version entertains me like the beta has, I doubt I'll care a whole lot.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I just had a strange bug occur. I killed a guy and got a recon master dogtag, which I thought was odd because I definitely don't have 500 recon kills. Then when the match ended I got all these dogtags:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Have you guys seen this mission stuff?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/missions/259438779/1/62634/

You can create custom challenges and invite your friends to participate. No idea if it gives XP or what when you finish them.

• Locked thread