Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

True, the style points are a major upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Glows?

I'm actually at the point where I can either save for relic+1 or start getting af+1 with myth tomes. I'm a bit disappointed at how small of an upgrade the bard relic+1 is. I was thinking I'd try out the simulator on chocobro.com and see what that thing says. Anybody played with that yet? Know how reliable it is?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

+1 Weapon damage is actually huge, worth several main stat points.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

All the Relic +1s glow

So basically always go Relic +1

(unless you actually care about min/maxing for your coil static group or something)

(GLOWS)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Roctor posted:

Glows?

I'm actually at the point where I can either save for relic+1 or start getting af+1 with myth tomes. I'm a bit disappointed at how small of an upgrade the bard relic+1 is. I was thinking I'd try out the simulator on chocobro.com and see what that thing says. Anybody played with that yet? Know how reliable it is?

Yeah, I've seen lots of Cortana +1s around that look freaking amazing :allears: but not many of the other relic +1s, but I have seen a couple and some goons posted pictures confirming that they all glow. It looks really cool.

:cool:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

babydonthurtme posted:

Once you hit 20-25ish, you can turn a mix of HQ and NQ cotton into diremite webs

I'm sorry, what? :stare:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yeah I'm a BRD and I went for the relic +1 without a second thought. When you account for the fact that like 1 weapon damage is equivalent to like, 9 of your main stat, it's a decent upgrade and even if you'll get a slightly higher bump from spending that 900 points on 2 AF+1 pieces, it's not that big of a difference. The glow is extremely impressive though!

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm sorry, what? :stare:

Leves sometimes reward items and some items can be super valuable. In the mid levels you can get crafting components for the next tier up. At higher levels you can get the unique part used to craft the relic base weapon. There are also some that give a bonus amount of shards/crystals instead of the normal 5-7. Item rewards aren't 100% guaranteed to show up, but if you check the levequest dude it will tell you what the reward will be.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I've seen lots of Cortana +1s around that look freaking amazing :allears: but not many of the other relic +1s, but I have seen a couple and some goons posted pictures confirming that they all glow. It looks really cool.

:cool:

Jesus Christ you make the choice between warrior and paladin hard :(

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, I think artifact gear for paladins look a hell of a lot better than warriors but warriors are just more fun to play :(.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Dude, tell me about it. I'm leveling both. :smithicide:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I think artifact gear for paladins look a hell of a lot better than warriors but warriors are just more fun to play :(.

Yeah, that's it absolutely. I even think that WAR art armor is pretty slick, even though PLD is freaking amazing.

However, you just can't compare the WAR's relic axe, which is a cool axe, with that loving sword :allears:

Comeon Yoshi, give WAR some 2-handed swords! Please? :qq:

Its even worse with all the goons theorycrafting that PLD is better at endgame, but WAR is so much more fun...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 4, 2013

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Behold the Bravura +1, with +1 Pepto-Bismol.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's it absolutely. I even think that WAR art armor is pretty slick, even though PLD is freaking amazing.

However, you just can't compare the WAR's relic axe, which is a cool axe, with that loving sword :allears:

Its even worse with all the goons theorycrafting that PLD is better at endgame, but WAR is so much more fun...

They've already mentioned that they're going to take a look at Warriors. Keep in mind also that outside of AF gear, WAR's and PLD's use the same end game heavy armor.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 4, 2013

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

WAR relic is a relatively plain weapon, when compared to other relics. I wish it could of been at least double sided or have a little bit different color scheme to make it appear that it isn't just a black axe.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Wish you'd have hid that behind a trigger warning. Reminded me of when I was wandering by the ocean so so happy, then went under a shady cliff where I was jumped by a big black Galka. It wasn't safe being a Taru in ffxi.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Shield+1 has a cool glow to it too, though the size of the glow is static and has to be fixed for the taller and smaller races:

My Master craft ability list:
Comfort Zone (Alc50)
Inner Quiet
Waste Not I/II (Ltr50)
Careful Synthesis II (Wvr50)
Tricks of the Trade (Alc15)
Steady Hand II (Cul37)
Hasty Touch (Cul15)
Master's Mend I
Byregot's Blessing (Carp50)
Rumination (only use in emergencies)
Rapid Synth (keep on bar for emergencies)

This puts the requirements at:
50 Alchemist
50 Leatherworker
50 Weaver
37 Culinarian
50 Carpenter

Note that I have near-perfect crafting gear, with stats similar to:
Craft: 355
Control: 360
CP: 324 (Think it was this off the top of my head)

This much Craftmanship gives 50 progress per Careful Synthesis II. I have exactly enough CP to use Waste Not II twice on material synths if one Tricks of the Trade procs.

Byregot's gives you a massive quality increase depending on how many Hasty Touch's have succeeded prior, and is affected by the color of the orb. This move should be used as a finisher right before you complete the synth.

For Steady Hand priority:
Hasty Touch: 50% chance without, 80% chance with
Byregot's: 90% chance without, 100% chance with

I try to use Byregot's with Steady Hand up (usually the last charge), however if the overall quality is low I will sometimes prioritize more Hasty under Steady Hand and pop Byregot's without it.

Downtime fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 4, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Downtime posted:

For Steady Hand priority:
Hasty Touch: 50% chance without, 90% chance with
Byregot's: 90% chance without, 100% chance with

Does Steady Hand 2 give +40% instead of the listed +30%, or was that a typo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

WAR relic is a relatively plain weapon, when compared to other relics. I wish it could of been at least double sided or have a little bit different color scheme to make it appear that it isn't just a black axe.

Yeah, agreed. IMHO the Moogle Axe is like 1,000 cooler. That's the real relic blade, one loving sweet axe. Can't wait for them to patch in Moogle Mog boss fight so I can get my hands on that sweet axe.

Titan and Ifrit axes are okay. They feel more epic than Relic axe, but are kinda ridiculous. (as titan and ifrit weapons are wont to be)

Downtime posted:

Shield+1 has a cool glow to it too, though the size of the glow is static and has to be fixed for the taller and smaller races:

That picture is deceptive because only one of the relics is a +1, the rest aren't. They all glow when +1.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Vil posted:

Does Steady Hand 2 give +40% instead of the listed +30%, or was that a typo?

I did it off the top of my head, so that is probably a typo, will fix.

Zaphod42 posted:

That picture is deceptive because only one of the relics is a +1, the rest aren't. They all glow when +1.

That is the only picture of the +1 shield that I have uploaded, which was posted with a blurb about the +1 shield.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm working on CUL to 37 next because Steady Hand 2 is incredible. I'm at 17 right now and I am just looking for a good leve or item or anything to grind, but it's driving me nuts how many recipes in CUL require 80 million different items.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Speedboat Jones posted:

I'm working on CUL to 37 next because Steady Hand 2 is incredible. I'm at 17 right now and I am just looking for a good leve or item or anything to grind, but it's driving me nuts how many recipes in CUL require 80 million different items.

It's actually not that bad. There are repeatable leves that require very basic foods with only 1-2 ingredients not found from vendors. At 20 I did Walnut Bread, 25 Chamomile Tea (harder to HQ than bread at this level but requires far less ingredients), and then I stuck with Chamomile Tea until around 38 at which point I can reliably craft HQ Acorn Cookie. Beyond that I really haven't touched the vast majority of recipes.

Edit: All of these leves are in Limsa Lominsa and you never need to go anywhere.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
More than that, you can buy AH foods for really cheap to turn in for leves. Level your cooking by delivering pizza.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

An important thing to consider for choosing between BRD relic+1 and BRD AF+1 is that the AF+1 shirt is pink and fabulous and radical.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Downtime posted:

That is the only picture of the +1 shield that I have uploaded, which was posted with a blurb about the +1 shield.

But I already posted a picture of the shield on this very page? :confused:

The guy you were responding to was responding to my picture, even.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think every cat person who is a paladin has white hair just to go with the relic armor, heh.

I really never want to wear the Darklight armor on my tank. It's just such a big downgrade in terms of aesthetics.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rascyc posted:

I really never want to wear the Darklight armor on my tank. It's just such a big downgrade in terms of aesthetics.

This, but with caster cowls. Down with cowls and head+chest armor forever. Even vanity slots can't make cowls look good.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm a little confused about leves. I have a set number of allowances, 40 right now I think. I use those up by doing turn-ins. Do I get them back over time? For some reason I can't find that information anywhere, sorry if it has already been answered.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Pfft. Paladin armor is for girly girls. Real men wear sheep and love it. Or love sheep. Wait.

(I really like Warrior AF2)

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

But I already posted a picture of the shield on this very page? :confused:

The guy you were responding to was responding to my picture, even.

I didn't even see the shield glowing due to the bright light and paladin AF. Mine does the glow more justice :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^ Fair nuff

BobbyK posted:

I'm a little confused about leves. I have a set number of allowances, 40 right now I think. I use those up by doing turn-ins. Do I get them back over time? For some reason I can't find that information anywhere, sorry if it has already been answered.

Yup. Leve allowances are just daily quests. You get some per day, and you can stack up to like 99 of them and burn through them at your leisure.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BobbyK posted:

You get 3 at 8am EDT and 3 at 8pm EDT everyday.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

victrix posted:

Pfft. Paladin armor is for girly girls. Real men wear sheep and love it. Or love sheep. Wait.

(I really like Warrior AF2)

Put the helmet back on! Its like the best part. :black101:

Especially since you can /visor

I do really like how that looks though. :swoon:

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Thanks and it's probably best to save them up to do the 3x HQ turn ins? So if I'm leveling up say carpentry from 1-20 I should just grind out the highest item I can make?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My dude is locked in a permanent scowl, when he smiles it is terrifying. It is suitably warrior :colbert:

Four levels from Mantra, then another twelve or so for Awareness (which I'll never use :v:), then my war is Complete.

I'll probably level PLD fully at some point just to compare, but I love playing my war, so I don't have any real motivation to do it now.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
FINALLY! A DEVELOPER RESPONSE TO THE CAT rear end DILEMMA!

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1nqbqu/dev_post_translation_why_did_the_shape_of_miqotes/

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

BobbyK posted:

Thanks and it's probably best to save them up to do the 3x HQ turn ins? So if I'm leveling up say carpentry from 1-20 I should just grind out the highest item I can make?

It's the best use of exp per leve. If you have an abundance of leves, and need more exp per material, do the single ones (and HQ them).

Usually for my 1-20 grind, I'd try to make 1 of everything using vendor bought just to get the first time bonus, then start looking forward to what I'd be using for leve turn-ins, and get a lot of exp just grinding out the sub-materials I'd need anyways.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

metacorder posted:

GF and I got the game the other day, and we're about to get to group content. We're on Faerie world, are any goon groups on this server? We want to avoid pugging it if possible...

There are a few of us on Faerie. I don't know how many are sticking around after transfers open up, but if you want in the goon linkshell, send a tell to Kestrel Fairmeadow.

Downtime posted:

My Master craft ability list:
Comfort Zone (Alc50)
Inner Quiet
Waste Not I/II (Ltr50)
Careful Synthesis II (Wvr50)
Tricks of the Trade (Alc15)
Steady Hand II (Cul37)
Hasty Touch (Cul15)
Master's Mend I
Byregot's Blessing (Carp50)
Rumination (only use in emergencies)
Rapid Synth (keep on bar for emergencies)

Don't discount Ingenuity II from BSM. With your craftsmanship, you'd easily be able to finish even two star items with only two careful synth II.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BobbyK posted:

It really depends on how fast you, personally, will go through them. If you have a lot of time to craft each day it may be best to save them. But if you just have a couple hours total to play then the 1x turn-ins might be better if you can hardly use 6 leves per day. The 3x turn-ins can be a lot of work and shard expenditure if you have to make a lot of sub-components so pay attention to how many combines you are really doing to get 9 HQ items.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's it absolutely. I even think that WAR art armor is pretty slick, even though PLD is freaking

I leveled both up to about 30 (which I know is not the best way to get an idea for a class/job, but I did a lot of reading on both) and found GLD/PLD boring. Almost about to hit 50 as a Warrior and I love it. I really enjoy the versatility of the wrath system, and how I have a lot of PUG healers tell me I'm a breeze to heal since I effectively use the HP abilities right. I've never had issues with enmity and I play nice with CC'd/mezzed adds without smacking them with an overpower.

I just really hate the stigma that Warrior is a terrible tank. I'm aware there's a higher "skill ceiling" for them so I love the challenge. I'm jealous of shield bash and feel like a noob when I have to dodge interruptible attacks, but either than that I've been doing a adequate enough job tanking. I'm not looking forward to endgame tanking with a Warrior because everyone prefers paladins. Guess I'll get to be the off-tank star. :smith:

Plus being a lalafell berserker with an axe is so much more cool and badass than hiding behind a shield and poking stuff with a toothpick.

:colbert:

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 4, 2013

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Edward_Lapine posted:

I leveled both up to about 30 (which I know is not the best way to get an idea for a class/job, but I did a lot of reading on both) and found GLD/PLD boring. Almost about to hit 50 as a Warrior and I love it. I really enjoy the versatility of the wrath system, and how I have a lot of PUG healers tell me I'm a breeze to heal since I effectively use the HP abilities right. I've never had issues with enmity and I play nice with CC'd/mezzed adds without smacking them with an overpower.

I just really hate the stigma that Warrior is a terrible tank. I'm aware there's a higher "skill ceiling" for them so I love the challenge. I'm jealous of shield bash and feel like a noob when I have to dodge interruptible attacks, but either than that I've been doing a adequate enough job tanking. I'm not looking forward to endgame tanking with a Warrior because everyone prefers paladins. Guess I'll get to be the off-tank star. :smith:

Plus being a lalafell berserker with an axe is so much more cool and badass than hiding behind a shield and poking stuff with a toothpick.

:colbert:

Must be nice to be decent. The Warriors I've been unfortunate enough to heal have wild HP swings while PLDs just take nice steady damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

seorin posted:

There are a few of us on Faerie. I don't know how many are sticking around after transfers open up, but if you want in the goon linkshell, send a tell to Kestrel Fairmeadow.

Don't discount Ingenuity II from BSM. With your craftsmanship, you'd easily be able to finish even two star items with only two careful synth II.

I played with this once before, and I could see it possibly working out under perfect conditions for 2 star synths. However you are spending 32 CP to activate this and my rotation generally lacks the resources to use extra abilities. I also split my careful synthesis into two phases, I use a couple early on to get the synth close to completion and leave myself needing just 1 more careful to finish the craft at the end.

On a regular level 50 synth:

Ingenuity 32cp
Waste Not II 98cp (8 steps)

0) Waste Not II
1) Ingenuity
2) Careful Synth
3) Careful Synth
5 steps free
Overall CP cost: 120

0) Waste Not II
1) Careful Synth
2) Careful Synth
3) Careful Synth
5 steps free
Overall CP Cost: 98

Unless Ingenuity makes it so I am 50 progress away from completion in 1 Careful, this isn't worth it. On 2 star synths it would have to put me 50 progress away from completion in 2 Carefuls.

Now this is all pseudo math here, but I can give it a chance again in game. I just don't know how much progress I would get on a 47 synth instead of a level 50.

Edit: Actually I take that comment back until I can play with this more. I just noticed that it is 5 turns and not 3 so you could probably use it before popping Waste Not II.

Downtime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 4, 2013

• Locked thread