Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Show Cersei is even dumber than Book Cersei, that entire "Yo Marge, I'm gonna go Rains of Castamere all over your rear end" thing was completely on the nose and unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Show Cersei is even dumber than Book Cersei, that entire "Yo Marge, I'm gonna go Rains of Castamere all over your rear end" thing was completely on the nose and unnecessary.

This is a recurring element in the show, regardless of the character.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
It kinda has to be, unless you want a million jumbled internal monologues that would serve only to confuse

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

When casual watchers are struggling to remember who Margery even is sometimes you have to spell things out.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

But anyway, what was that 'mocking gift' he said Tywin gave him at the start of this chapter?".

The golden hand, which Jaime didn't take too kindly to initially.

[Edit] Or might be the valyrian steel sword actually, rereading a bit.

Dave Angel fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 4, 2013

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

When casual watchers are struggling to remember who Margery even is sometimes you have to spell things out.

I've been doing a survey of every show watcher I meet, to see how well casual viewers (because lets face it, goons are nerds) picked up on all the Rains of Castamere. Of the ten I asked:
6 had no idea there was a significant piece of music during the Red Wedding.
2 recognised that there was creepy music.
1 thought it was some creepy music from Cats past.
Only 1 correctly identified it as Rains of Castamere.

Of the other 9 only 4 realised the significance once I told them the song.

Additionaly, when I asked about Jaqen one girl described him as "that wizard who can kill people by saying their name"

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Dave Angel posted:

It was the sword. I think he only gets the hand in Feast, which is after Tywin dies.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How are we defining "casual viewer"? Someone that only watches the show because everyone else they know watches it?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

The Sharmat posted:

How are we defining "casual viewer"? Someone that only watches the show because everyone else they know watches it?

I'd assume it means someone who watches the show but doesn't read the books, but then that makes adding the word "casual" seem redundant. Maybe it's supposed to mean people who are flipping channels, see Game of Thrones on, and go "gently caress it, i'll watch this."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'd say it's people who don't religiously discuss the show in online forums or with bookreader friends, only watch each episode once and don't consult the HBO viewer's guide.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'd say it's people who don't religiously discuss the show in online forums or with bookreader friends, only watch each episode once and don't consult the HBO viewer's guide.

Exactly this.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I would say casual are the people who don't know the character names.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kawalimus posted:

I would say casual are the people who don't know the character names.

Don't you just hate Jeffrey?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dave Angel posted:

It's absolutely the sword. Jaime himself thinks about having a golden hand made, but there's nothing worse than the Lannisters finally getting a Valyrian steel sword and giving it to the guy who was the finest swordsman in the land until he lost his sword hand. It was like buying Varys a Willy warmer for Christmas.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Piell posted:

Don't you just hate Jeffrey?

Yeah he sucks. But at least Kalisi is awesome. I just hope her and Joel Morman hook up already!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I miss Carl Dragon.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Carl Dragon Jr.'s makes great loving burgers, man. The Sirloin that Mounts the World.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Re: Mocking Gift

Tywin gave a man known as the Kingslayer (famous for breaking his oath to his first king), a sword named Oathkeeper. You can see how someone might consider that a slap in the face. And why he almost immediately handed it off to Brienne.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jng2058 posted:

Tywin gave a man known as the Kingslayer (famous for breaking his oath to his first king), a sword named Oathkeeper. You can see how someone might consider that a slap in the face. And why he almost immediately handed it off to Brienne.

Jaime gave it the name Oathkeeper, not Tywin.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

jng2058 posted:

He also gave a one-armed man a sword.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You can wield a sword one-armed, ableist scum :confused:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

jng2058 posted:

Jaime was pretty annoyed at the gift ("There was a time that I would have given my right hand to wield a sword like that. Now it appears I have, so the blade is wasted on me.") but the name Oathkeeper was his own choice, because giving it to Brienne and sending her after Sansa was all about hoping she'd manage to keep whatever was left of their oaths to Catelyn Stark.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, my way makes for a better story. :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

To get back to some actual show chat, one of the trickiest parts of the adaptation, to me, is that Jaime and Brienne arrive in King's Landing while Sansa's still around. It kind of takes the wind out of the sails of the whole "This is one oath we're going to keep, go find the Stark girls!" thing if they've already found one of them.

In fact, since they know Catelyn's dead and there's no one to return them to, what's the plan exactly? Is Brienne going to go looking for Arya at all? How is Jaime going to interpret his oath now that Sansa's around but there's no one to send her to?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Eh, my way makes for a better story. :colbert:

Considering Tywin was trying to get Jaime to break his Kingsguard vows, it would just be Tywin being completely obtuse to the irony.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Dolash posted:

To get back to some actual show chat, one of the trickiest parts of the adaptation, to me, is that Jaime and Brienne arrive in King's Landing while Sansa's still around. It kind of takes the wind out of the sails of the whole "This is one oath we're going to keep, go find the Stark girls!" thing if they've already found one of them.

In fact, since they know Catelyn's dead and there's no one to return them to, what's the plan exactly? Is Brienne going to go looking for Arya at all? How is Jaime going to interpret his oath now that Sansa's around but there's no one to send her to?

Catelyn was dead when Jaimie sent Brienne out anyways - he told her to find Sansa and take her to her aunt. It's not too much of a stretch to say he can't act now because she's relatively safe and he would be acting directly against Tywin (imagine Jaime explaining to his father that they have to give the "key to the North" up because of his promise to a dead woman), but once the Purple wedding happens and Sansa disappears for Jaime to decide "if I don't find Sansa before Cersei, she's dead, so I'll send Brienne out to find her and make sure she's safe" would be more realistic.

It would also be easy to explain why Brienne only looks for Sansa - they've already met and she would recognize her, she has a fresh trail to follow, plus it makes a lot more sense to say "she's disappeared but can't have gotten far, if you're quick you can find her" than saying "she's been gone for days/weeks, try heading North". Jaime thinking Arya is dead or better off lost and unknown or just saying they have next to no chance of finding her after so much time would be easy to explain too.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 4, 2013

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Narmi posted:

It would also be easy to explain why Brienne only looks for Sansa - they've already met and she would recognize her, she has a fresh trail to follow, plus it makes a lot more sense to say "she's disappeared but can't have gotten far, if you're quick you can find her" than saying "she's been gone for days/weeks, try heading North". Jaime thinking Arya is dead or better off lost and unknown or just saying they have next to no chance of finding her after so much time would be easy to explain too.

Hey we might get a Brienne/Sansa scene. :unsmith:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hey, Brienne's line about looking for her, uh, "sister" will be way more believable now considering Sophie Turner's maternal grandfather turned out to be Andre Roussimoff or something, jesus.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A maid of 3 inches and 10 feet.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It would be infuriating hilarious if Jaime appeased Loras by locking up Brienne, saying it's fine, she can sneak Sansa away once she's cleared, and in the meantime Sansa disappears. Whoops.

I mean, I don't think that will happen. Does anyone on the show think Brienne killed Renly? Nobody that cares, at least.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
There was this scene showed Loras blamed Stannis, but it was deleted, so maybe the writers decided they are going to throw her in jail.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Narmi posted:

There was this scene showed Loras blamed Stannis, but it was deleted, so maybe the writers decided they are going to throw her in jail.
Loras still blames Stannis in the version that aired. His first reaction is "Brienne didn't do this".

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Yeah, they specifically added a scene of Loras saying he didn't think Brienne did it. I'm still hoping that idea of her replacing Ilyn as Jaime's sparring partner is right, because it sounds neat.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Cloche posted:

Yeah, they specifically added a scene of Loras saying he didn't think Brienne did it. I'm still hoping that idea of her replacing Ilyn as Jaime's sparring partner is right, because it sounds neat.

That's the first time I've heard that theory. I wonder what they'd do with Pod if they went in that direction.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

He'll take over Littlefinger's brothels.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

timpanihilistic posted:

That's the first time I've heard that theory. I wonder what they'd do with Pod if they went in that direction.

Wouldn't they do the sparring this season to keep Brienne on the screen, then she and Pod can go on the run quite normally. No idea where that theory came from, but it's a nice one.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
The leaked callsheet for episode 402 showed a scene where Brienne meets Joffrey and Margaery, presumably during the purple wedding. I bet she won't be imprisoned and that her adventures on the road with Pod start in episode 4-5.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I'm less patient with GRRM after I started reading the web-serial Worm. I like the story just as much as asoiaf except the author writes 20,000 words per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wouldn't they do the sparring this season to keep Brienne on the screen, then she and Pod can go on the run quite normally. No idea where that theory came from, but it's a nice one.

It actually makes a lot of sense, since they've got a few episodes where they'll need something to do before Jaime can send her out, and since Ilyn's actor probably won't be able to reprise his role it might let them make use of some of the content. True, it lacks the same kind of dramatic punch as Jaime finally giving his full confession and Ilyn laughing a horrible, voiceless laugh, but it might also strengthen Jaime and Brienne's history before she heads off to wander the road.

It's a drat shame they probably won't be able to get that stuff with Ilyn though, the guy playing him is basically perfect. It was definitely one of my favorite little things from the later books - a good use of a minor character and effective, believable development for Jaime. If only it was possible to film the scenes in advance, but I guess they don't know where they'll be exactly in a season or two exactly. Also it might be a bit morbid to call up an actor and say "Hey, just in case you die, you mind if we film some of your character's best scenes now? You know, as a backup?"

Edit - I guess Wilko's always been a music man, so he's been spending his last days doing that and that's eminently fair and good. Ah well.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 5, 2013

• Locked thread