Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

You asked for it, So here it is. My attempt at doing a Paradox games Mega-campaign – that is, Crusader Kings II, Europa Universals IV, then most likely Victoria II and then we'll see.

So what makes this different to all the other Paradox LP's out there?

Nothing. Just my own style and quirks. I will be following some ground rules – I shall be roleplaying each king depending on their stat's – so If I get a paranoid lunatic, then heads will roll, while a pacifist will see a time of building.
I'll be playing the base game, so I can make use of the CKII-EUIV converter. I won't be using the Sunset invasion, as I don't own it and it can be a quick end if your in the wrong place.

I WANT TO FORM THE POPULIST PARTY!

Nope, there will be no parties or things like that, at least, not until the government changes – I may introduce them later, but for now it will be just me, running whatever we select into the ground.

Who shall we be playing?

This is where you will have an imput – while we could take over a know dynasty, there seem to be no fun in that – we should start this with our own man!

First up we should pick some territory – This is what Europe looks like in 867AD, the Old Gods starting period.

Click here for the full 1754x1754 image

We can Replace any King, Duke or Count. Wiping them from the Greyverse and replacing them with our chosen man and his offspring.

Then we can move on to this sheet.

This is the ruler designer, we can give our man his stats, culture and most importantly his name.

I'm going to beg off as lazy here, as going through all the nations and stat combinations would take forever, and not help people who have not played the game – therefore, I shall leave the suggestions to those who have played the game.
Playing as a count will be more challenging than a king, but its up to people to set me their own challenge.

Please submit your suggestion in the following format.

quote:

Name and lands of character

A short bio of the character (He is a reckless and gluttonous man)

Picture(s) of all three pages of the character generator, if you want a certain look or coat of arms. Or just the stats if you don't care about the others.

When you put in a contender, please put his name in bold in one of the columns. Then if you wish to vote for that character, put your user
name below it – You can change your vote and vote for your own guy, but this method stops me having the trawl the thread for votes, and stops it being cluttered up.

Please remember, we will be stuck with the family name for a long time.

The Family Tree

As our character will come into the world with just his name, I shall attempt to keep a family tree of the dynasty. I will not track incoming people beyond the country of origin and their status (princess of France for example.), and I will most likely not follow all the daughters who get married out. but it should create an interesting document, even if its only possible to do the main trunk.

MAWAH HA HA HA - yeah, with the ogoonu, this was a stupid, stupod idea.

We are playing as Ghana!

Updates

Crusader Kings II

867-870, The rise of Dongu Ogoona.
870-886, A Dynasty built on Infidelity.
887-900, Ogoona Lust.
900-919, Fractured states
920-939, The Day the Earth Shook.
940-959, Three Mansas.
960-979, the Unification.
980-999, The Bassarou Uprising.
1000-1019, Kabayo the Great.
1020-1039, The first Golden Age.
1040-1059, Civil Works
1060-1079, An embarressing series of wars.
1080-1099, Effeminate, for an Ogoonu.
1100-1119, Slow Gains in the north.
1120-1139, The Sahlien Reformation.
1140-1169, The Counter Holy War.
1160-1179, The Time of Trouble
1180-1199, The Duru Revolt.
1200-1219, Fadazu the Fat.
1220-1239, The First Sultana.
1240-1259, The War of the Assassins.
1260-1279, The Rise of Bongo the Wise.
1280-1299, Ogoonu's Ascendant.
1300-1319, A succession of viscous wars.
1320-1339, Sultana Nana of Ghana & the founding of the Ghanan Empire.
1340-1359, The Ill-ruler.
1360-1379, Ghana ever expanding.
1380-1399, Holding the Line.
1400-1425, A most painful cure.
1426-1443, This nation, it is a changing...

Europa Universalis IV
1444, A Brave New world Ghana.
1444-1459, Protectorates and wars.
1460-1479, Lost Ground.
1480-1499, The Reconquest.
1500-1519, The Abbyssinian Expansion.
1520-1539, Damned Italians!
1540-1559, The Abbasids Strike Back.
1560-1579, The Calm before the Storm.
1580-1599, A Brave new world.
1600-1619, The Storm.
1620-1639, An ever expanding world view.
1640-1659, Holding Ground.
1660-1679, The Empire Strikes Back.
1680-1699, Westernization
1700-1719, Foreign wars and alliances.
1720-1739, The eternal foes.
1740-1759, Some long needed revenge.
1760-1779, Eastern Expansions
1780-1799, For the Pretty borders faction!!!!
1800-1819, The rise of the Alliances
1820-1835, Industrialization and expansion.

Victoria II

1836-1839 - Well Wishers everywhere!
1840-1844 - Freeing the Slaves.
1845-1849 - Democracy comes to Ghana.
1850-1854 - All the world against Ghana.
1855-1859 - An enforced peace and the beginning of a new Ghana.
1860-1864 - Revolution and counter-revolution.
1865-1869 - The return of Democracy and colonial expansions.
1870-1874 - A poor showing.
1875-1879 - Colonial expansion.
1880-1884 - The Road To War.
1885-1889 - War & Taxes.
1890-1894 - The Great War.
1895-1899 - Containment.
1900-1904 - Another round of buildup.
1905-1909 - A nice quick war.
1910-1914 - Rapid Expansions.
1915-1919 - A time of peace and prosperity.
1920-1924 - A Communist Spanner in the works.
1925-1929 - The Norwegian expulsion.
1930-2099 - The Arabian War and interlude.

Distant Worlds
2100-2104 - First steps into space.
2105-2109 - Pirates and the race to hyperdrives.
2110-2114 - A brave new Galaxy.
2115-2119 - The Age of Pirates.
2120-2124 - Diplomatic contacts.
2125-2129 - Ever more pirates.
2130-2134 - Holding it together.
2135-2139 - At least we're not an independent!
2140-2144 - Turning the pirate tide.
2145-2149 - A refugee explosion.
2150-2154 - The Great War begins.
2155-2159 - A heroic, desperate offensive.
2160-2164 - From the dark times, Ghana rises.
2165-2169 - The war drags on.
2170-2174 - The second great expansion.
2175-2179 - Liberation and reconquest
2180-2184 - A much needed lull.
2185-2189 - Ghana on the offensive.
2190-2194 - Strike and counterstrike.
[url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573513&pagenumber=124#post432911954]2195-2199 - The New Guardians.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This is going to be great. I can't wait to see what madness occurs. :allears:

Sadly, I am too uncreative to come up with a decent, story rich type character to be our new king. I hope someone submits a drunken Bavarian noble so we can get shitfaced and beat up the neighbors though.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
changed my mind

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 5, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sheikh Ali Hammad of Austisland

Trusting, Honest, Kind, Ambitious and Proud.

The second son of a powerful Sunni Emir. His older brother was set to inherit all of their father's lands, but Ali felt he deserved to rule. He went to his father to demand an inheritance, and his father told him that he actually ruled a far off land as well, and Ali could have it! Told nothing but that it was as far north as you could go, Ali set off in a small ship, happy to finally be given his due. His father held no such title, of course, and was glad to be rid of his troublesome and useless youngest son. He expected Ali to die at sea. But luck was on Ali's side...

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
I'd like to see something outside of Europe. Maybe... Abyssinia? Writing one up.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Some history needs to be rewritten :black101: Start in Wales!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

zerosix posted:

Some history needs to be rewritten :black101: Start in Wales!

Seconding this.

I can't believe this is happening.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Go with Ghana and conquer everything.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
All right, a county in Wales sounds good!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
ግራጫ አዳኝ (Geracha Adany) of Abyssinia

Hail Geracha Adany the First, Lion of Abyssinia.

His people hope his ascendency to the throne of Abyssinia will herald a great age of wise stewardship, cultural advancement, and military might. However, his difficulty in the ways of letters and learning has seriously hindered his grasp of diplomacy. (Thought understanding of court intrigue not harmed as much).

In his childhood, Geracha claimed he was guided by voices of saints (His enemies claim they were devils), and so he is a devout ___(Whatever default is, think Orthodox Christian?)___. Despite this, or perhaps because of it, some of his actions may have been rash and his choices less than prudent, but fortunately, his determination to see things through has let him finish his work where lesser men might have given up.

Upon hearing of his father's grave illness, Geracha rushed to the capitol just after successfully dealing with a neighboring nation's threatening stance. Sadly, the old king's health gave way, leading to young Geracha to take extra measures to ensure his health and well-being. He is painfully aware, however, that he must seek to produce an heir as soon as possible to ensure his family's line continues to lead and guide Abyssinia

Glory to Abyssinia!

ግራጫ (ge-raa-chaa) አዳኝ ~ (ad-any)

Vaga42Bond fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 5, 2013

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
I second Ghana but only if you promise to reform and keep the West African religion. No converting allowed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mum, what's that coming over the hill? The armies of the mad Welshmen!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We are goons and there is a possibility called Cumania. Plus we can steppe wolf with it, think of the folly.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

We are goons and there is a possibility called Cumania. Plus we can steppe wolf with it, think of the folly.

If we want to go maximum steppe wolf, then we should play Great Old Bulgaria.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

If we want to go maximum steppe wolf, then we should play Great Old Bulgaria.

The idea is nationalist :gizz: everywhere à la youtube balkan nationalism, serbian clay, etc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
How about starting in Russia?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll vote for something Welsh, seems interesting enough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So is this going to be daily turns as well? :agesilaus:

Throwing in a vote for Bulgaria

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gradenko_2000 posted:

So is this going to be daily turns as well? :agesilaus:

Yesss, LP the Hundred-Years War at one day per day.

TyphoidLarry
Sep 4, 2011
I don't know a drat thing about CKII, sadly. It's on my wishlist, but with my light wallet and the bar exam in February, I'm on a new-game moratorium until after the test. Having said that, it would be fun to see the Welsh inherit the earth, and by inherit I mean "conquer."

Edit: Does Aquitaine speak Occitan as it's primary language, or have some sort of Basque culture? It might be fun to do a historical role reversal and have Aquitaine conquer the rest of France and all of Iberia, creating a mighty Basque homeland, and stamping the French language and culture out of existence. Just a thought for some historical flavor.

TyphoidLarry fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 5, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Then someone better come up with a Welsh character and get the voting on the sheet. 'Cos I'm not counting anything in the thread.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ok, I'll channel the spirit of my welsh ancestors and call upon Owain Glyndwr!

(By the way, I think "llwyd helwyr" is Grey Hunter in Welsh)

I think we should be:

Ffwyld Ap Owyn, King of the Brythons
(Thwelled, Son of Owen)

The position of King of the Brythons is a title given to the most powerful British ruler pre-Norman conquest. At every stage of history, the Kings, Jarls and Earls of Angle-land have been powerful forces, but the most powerful true Brtion retains his kingship in the hills and valleys of Cymru.

With the sons of Ragnar attacking the land of the Angles, the eisteddfod of wise-men and song-tellers have met in the ancient groves of Ynys Mon (Anglesey) to choose a worthy son of the Harp to forge the new age of the Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Ffwyld won the title after reciting a mighty verse:

Ae vn hynt gwynt
ae vn dwfyr mor.
Ae vn vfel tan
twrwf diachor.

He is a poet and a man of war, a man of great passion and great deeds. No master scholar, no master scribe or spy, but a man born with song in heart and bow in fist.

Will he regain the land of the Brythons? Will he overturn the harsh rule of the Angle and the Saxon, the barbarism of the sons of Ragnar, returning Britain to a country of song and sword, of noble men and strong women? A land where the poet and minstrel rejoice, of stern warriors, true to the core, fighting for freedoms of yore?

King Arthur stirs under Snowden, Dragons have been seen again over the Beacons, the druids of the Eisteddfod have awoken from their death-sleep laid cruelly on them by the Romans - the time of the Welsh has begun anew!

In game this would be represented by:

Ffwyld Ap Owyn,

Country of Gwynedd

Culture: Obvious really!

Traits:
Charismatic Negotiator
Poet
Lustful
Gregarious

(I'd also love to chuck in Rough terrain defender/Mountain defender in here as I'm not too sure this is the safest start!)

Stats:

Stick one or two into Martial, one extra into Diplo no more, or he'll get too old.

Edit:

"I was a sword in fist
I was a shield in battle
I was a string on a harp."

Also, please feel free to choose a more pronouncable name - I am also biased on the dynasty name as it's an Old British spelling of my family name, so go for something other than Ap Owyn, if anyone likes this plan!

lenoon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 5, 2013

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Jabor posted:

Yesss, LP the Hundred-Years War at one day per day.

Day 2837:

The Invasion army is still disembarking in Normandy.
The Fleet is still busy shooting the French.

Day 2838:

The Invasion army is still disembarking in Normandy.

Day 2839:

The Invasion army is sieging Normandy.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

TyphoidLarry posted:

Edit: Does Aquitaine speak Occitan as it's primary language, or have some sort of Basque culture? It might be fun to do a historical role reversal and have Aquitaine conquer the rest of France and all of Iberia, creating a mighty Basque homeland, and stamping the French language and culture out of existence. Just a thought for some historical flavor.
Kingdoms don't have culture as such, only characters and provinces do. The starting king of Aquitaine, like most Karlings, is Frankish. His vassals are Basque, Occitan and Frankish. The territory is Basque in the southwest, Occitan in the rest.

Wiping out French culture is a fun and very possible thing to do, sure. If you really want to make a Basque super-realm, Navarra might be a better choice.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Day 2840:

The armies have disembarked with camp-followers first, itinerant peddlers, tinkers and blacksmiths along with prostitutes and children make up the first wave, they are slaughtered.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
drat Welshies, everyone knows Ghana deserve to be the next lords of the known world. It's time Africa got to be the awesome guys!

TyphoidLarry
Sep 4, 2011

Jabu posted:

Kingdoms don't have culture as such, only characters and provinces do. The starting king of Aquitaine, like most Karlings, is Frankish. His vassals are Basque, Occitan and Frankish. The territory is Basque in the southwest, Occitan in the rest.

Wiping out French culture is a fun and very possible thing to do, sure. If you really want to make a Basque super-realm, Navarra might be a better choice.

Interesting, thanks for the info. The Basque thing was not the real intention, I wanted to imagine an alternate history where Occitan, not French, goes on to become the dominant language of the Franks. Maybe I'll peruse the CKII wiki and try to come up with an Occitan count who could accomplish this.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Jabu posted:

So fun indeed! Hopefully Grey is going to play with culture too, rather than spend a millennium trying to zero it out as much as possible. You can get some hilarious mixes going with regular CK2 if you intervene enough (otherwise the AIs blob too much), though CK2+ IS awesome.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

quote:

Ffwyld Ap Owyn,

Duchy of Deheubarth

I'd say really if you were going to make this guy you'd need to make him either Duke or Count of Gwenydd (and personally I'd say Count, just to make it that much harder) ("Gwin-ith") so as to go for maximum unpronounceability (also if you want to have him anointed on Ynys Mon he probably ought to actually rule it).

I was basically writing something identical to the above post so I'll stop. But I should note in addition that the traditional arms of Wales would be something like plain layout, slot 19, colour 1 as 2, colour 2 as 12, and emblem 21. Collossally anachronistic in the 870s, since the green and white are Tudor additions, though the dragon badge does date from around that time. It's also much prettier than the historical arms of either Deheubarth or Gwenydd.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Neruz posted:

drat Welshies, everyone knows Ghana deserve to be the next lords of the known world. It's time Africa got to be the awesome guys!

Yup, would be a shame to pass on an opportunity to showcase some of the non-standard nations because of "Wacky Welshmen LP Vol. 8,521,423".

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ilanin posted:

Cool stuff

I thought Anglesey was part of Deheubarth? I'm away from my copy of CKII, so I'm not too sure on the Welsh starting counts - if Gwynedd is the place to go, I'll happily edit my post.

Edit: Checked, Yep, it is - editing post.

Gwynedd fits in much much better with the tone of the idea as well, King of the Brythons and all that.

edit 2: My god, I've gone SteppeWolf style nationalist over this, haven't I?

lenoon fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 5, 2013

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

You must obviously play as: A Scotsman in Egypt

You must play as the Count/Duke of Alexandria, be of Scottish culture, Celtic religion, and pick whatever traits would make this easier on you.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

lenoon posted:

edit 2: My god, I've gone SteppeWolf style nationalist over this, haven't I?

Pretty much. Wales tends to inspire a man to poetry (or overblown hackneyed prose), though.

Well, provided you stay away from the (north or south) coast, anyway, these days.

A brief explanation of why Gwenydd makes more sense than Ghana as a starting position is the following: Goons are broadly OK on their European history and can therefore be expected to come up with approximately plausible alternate history scenarios for whatever weird stuff happens around up this time. In general, a chronicle of Africa is far less likely to be entertaining to read, since neither the LPer nor the audience really knows their subject as well.

(edit: On the other hand, the last time I suggested a place for a Paradox LP it was Crete, and look how that turned out...)

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 5, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Neruz posted:

Seconding Ghana, or failing that any other place in Africa.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
You should be a Greek Pagan count of Thebes, seeking to restore the worship of Zeus and to teach these degenerate Christians the ultimate military prowess of bonded homosexual couples

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hm, are all the Basque options gone(i.e. eaten by the Moors) by this starting point?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Start as the Count of Saluzo and try to aim for strategic marriages/prudent plots/inheritance from the other side of the world rather than expansion/army/annex everything.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
John Greyhunter

Mysterious bicorne wearing man who was found on the beach. Unbeaten military mastermind whose only goal is victory, losses be damned. Feeds sailors to unknown gods lurking in the depths of oceans. Doesn't use conventional weapons if needless overkill will suffice.

Heraldry: Or cog on sable field (golden ship on black background. Anchor, if there's not a ship. Fist if there's not an anchor.

Motto: How the hell did that get tere?

Picture: Red eyes and chin that hasn't been shaven for two weeks.

Demesne: some small English county.

Intention: World Conquest!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll be playing the base game, so I can make use of the CKII-EUIV converter. I won't be using the Sunset invasion, as I don't own it and it can be a quick end if your in the wrong place.

CK2+ works with the CK2-EU4 converter now, if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm on board with Welshmen conquer all.

• Locked thread