Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah, one thing I didn't like is how fast cultures assimilate in immigration, be nice if you could get hyphenated cultures. I was pretty disappointed when I looked at the US and it's basically all Yankee/Dixie culture with a few Indians and Mexicans. Also, is it just me or are Great Power alliances really, really fluid?

Yeah, as an American it's weird how cultures assimilate in America when in reality we're not united like that in any way. We have to point out every piece of our heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JGBeagle posted:

Yeah, as an American it's weird how cultures assimilate in America when in reality we're not united like that in any way. We have to point out every piece of our heritage.

I suppose it more simulates how Irish and Italians were considered their own group and then gradually became "white"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

Well, yes and no. People here generally consider themselves American first and their lineage as almost a secondary culture. However, in Vicky's timeframe? We certainly were not culturally united. There were tensions between people of different national or cultural backgrounds quite frequently.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I turned assimilation off entirely just to preserve that kind of cultural diversity. I think the only real reason it's in the game is to take a load off of the CPU.

This is true to a large extent although in some places its important for gameplay reasons. Without assimilation the game slows to a crawl late game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RagnarokAngel posted:

I suppose it more simulates how Irish and Italians were considered their own group and then gradually became "white"
Also pretty much everyone else who wasn't a WASP. It wasn't until WWI that the German community was assimilated, and that was due to being strongly compelled into assimilating, which they did alongside the Nordic immigrants who were seen as basically German and thus also untrustworthy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How do I use soldiers to accelerate colonization? Is it just a matter of sending in a few brigades to places where I'm colonizing? How many should I send?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

How do I use soldiers to accelerate colonization? Is it just a matter of sending in a few brigades to places where I'm colonizing? How many should I send?

I don't know about how many, but yes, it's as simple as moving soldiers into the province. I think you just get a flat bonus for having soldiers there (+2% or so iirc) regardless of how many there are, but I could be wrong so don't hold me to it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I don't know about how many, but yes, it's as simple as moving soldiers into the province. I think you just get a flat bonus for having soldiers there (+2% or so iirc) regardless of how many there are, but I could be wrong so don't hold me to it.

I think the soldier colonization speed bonus was removed in Heart of Darkness, but yes, if you're still playing Vic 2 vanilla or A House Divided, you just need to put a single brigade in the province and it'll colonize 2% faster.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the soldier colonization speed bonus was removed in Heart of Darkness, but yes, if you're still playing Vic 2 vanilla or A House Divided, you just need to put a single brigade in the province and it'll colonize 2% faster.

yes it was removed when we redid the colonization in HoD

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151985600174575&set=a.430942739574.223458.166743484574&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Just canceled my preorder of HOI IV. :shepicide:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

From the comments:
"Tecumseh Sherman is marching from the wrong sea"

I can't quite wrap my head around how they would've made it fit within Victoria's mechanics, though: I think I read once that the three different types of ponies are represented as POP cultures, but how does assimilation work for Equestria? That seems to imply that humans who migrate there are eventually turned into horses.

Or really, why even make it for Victoria? Why not CK2 or EU4?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They don't become horses, they just adopt horse culture.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

podcat posted:

yes it was removed when we redid the colonization in HoD

Ohhh! Well, no wonder it did diddly-squat when I sent some of my fellas out into the great white nothingness! Good to know.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Or really, why even make it for Victoria? Why not CK2 or EU4?

Pony Pops obviously.

as for HoI:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Our capitalists have constructed a glue factory

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Casus Belli: Ponycaust

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

gradenko_2000 posted:

You should actually NOT subsidize your factories. Capitalists will only build more factories if the current ones are something like 70% full or none are open, but if a factory is unprofitable and is only being kept alive by subsidies, then you're just preventing your Capitalists from trying out a different factory until get to one that actually makes money. Too big to fail, let the free market decide and all that.

I strongly disagree with this. It's more important to get as many people working in the factories as possible, and the best way to do that is to subsidize all but the most unprofitable factories, & raise tariffs as high as needed to get the cash to pay the subsidies. (Raising tariffs will also increase the cost of subsidies, of course, but you'll get more cash than you lose overall.) In the late game, once you have huge craftsmen/clerk populations & piles of cash, you can roll back the tariffs & turn off subsidies as appropriate, but the early-game importance of factories isn't "making money" or even "making goods", necessarily, it's "turning people into factory workers".

If the Civil War actually lasted more than 6 months in Vicky 2, that would be a plausible event. As it is... huh.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

podcat posted:

Pony Pops obviously.

as for HoI:

Silent Workhorse.

:negative:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hey Paradox guys, any chance that you'll ever put the mac ports of Vicky and its expansions on Steam? I want to grab HoD, but it kind of sticks in my craw to buy it off GG for the full 40$ while the PC version is on sale for 10.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

uPen posted:

Silent Workhorse.
:negative:

Does this mean all my spare time work on a day one pony mod for East vs. West will turn all those frowns upside down? :downs:

There is no pony mod and I would never do that. I'm so sorry.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

podcat posted:

Pony Pops obviously.

as for HoI:

Aren't the ponies all girls? Clearly they should be maternal autocrats.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't quite wrap my head around how they would've made it fit within Victoria's mechanics, though: I think I read once that the three different types of ponies are represented as POP cultures, but how does assimilation work for Equestria? That seems to imply that humans who migrate there are eventually turned into horses.
We're talking about a game which can assimilate already Polar Bears into Mexican culture.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Our capitalists have constructed a glue factory

I think you mean glue factroy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

JGBeagle posted:

It's been a while since I last played Vicky 2, but doesn't every pop type of X ethnicity have the capacity to become an X nationalist? Without the assimilation mechanic, then, Germans in America might end up becoming German nationalists if the US of A goes to poo poo, and then that'd get silly quick.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

It's been a while since I last played Vicky 2, but doesn't every pop type of X ethnicity have the capacity to become an X nationalist? Without the assimilation mechanic, then, Germans in America might end up becoming German nationalists if the US of A goes to poo poo, and then that'd get silly quick.

That only happens if they're living in a province that is a core of a country of their primary culture. This happens even if that country doesn't exist - Armenians in historical Armenia can become Armenian nationalists, for example, but they can't become Armenian nationalists if they immigrate to the USA, because there isn't an Armenian-culture nation with cores in that area. Also, any minority ethnic group living in a core province of a nation where they are a primary culture will basically never assimilate, whether that nation exists or not, because if they did there wouldn't be any nationalist rebels after about 20 years.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 5, 2013

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

What's the best way to learn V2? I've been interested in getting into it for a while due to the period but it's always look very complex from the outside to me.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Last Emperor posted:

What's the best way to learn V2? I've been interested in getting into it for a while due to the period but it's always look very complex from the outside to me.

Kersch's LP is a good tutorial though its for the latest expansion which I recommend having.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Last Emperor posted:

This thread is a great place to start. It got me going and I've been addicted ever since.

In addition, here's my African report.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I'll check it out, thanks. Will post a trip report when I get set up at some point.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just went in and released, de-sphered, and un-puppeted every single nation that it is possible to release. BalkanWorld is going to be fun to play!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I just went in and released, de-sphered, and un-puppeted every single nation that it is possible to release. BalkanWorld is going to be fun to play!

How did you do that, some sort of save editing?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LP97S posted:

How did you do that, some sort of save editing?

Well, with De-Sphering it's easy, just go into the diplomatic screen of whatever nation is your sphereling and click "remove from sphere". With De-Puppeting, you release the nation as a vassal, then tag over to it by opening the console menu and typing "tag ---" (like "tag NEN" to switch to New England or "tag CAL" to play as California). Then, as the vassal, click on the overlord nation and declare war on them for independence. Switch back to the overlord, and peace out with the vassal. Then go back to the vassal and accept the overlord's peace offer.

This just destroyed most of the great powers' prestige, though, so it's a kind of topsy-turvy world where Russia is the Number 1 great power and nations like Yugoslavia and Denmark are on the Great Powers list.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrSunshine posted:

Well, with De-Sphering it's easy, just go into the diplomatic screen of whatever nation is your sphereling and click "remove from sphere". With De-Puppeting, you release the nation as a vassal, then tag over to it by opening the console menu and typing "tag ---" (like "tag NEN" to switch to New England or "tag CAL" to play as California). Then, as the vassal, click on the overlord nation and declare war on them for independence. Switch back to the overlord, and peace out with the vassal. Then go back to the vassal and accept the overlord's peace offer.

This just destroyed most of the great powers' prestige, though, so it's a kind of topsy-turvy world where Russia is the Number 1 great power and nations like Yugoslavia and Denmark are on the Great Powers list.

If you click 'play as' when you release the nation it doesn't start as a vassal. Then you can just tag back to the host nation and continue Balkanizing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to mod Vicky 2 so that Great Wars can happen earlier? I want to see empires dismantled and multi-GP alliances slugging it out by the 1870s or something.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Honestly, doing it ingame is probably about as much work as changing the province files -- and all you get is a savegame instead of an outright mod.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it possible to mod Vicky 2 so that Great Wars can happen earlier? I want to see empires dismantled and multi-GP alliances slugging it out by the 1870s or something.
Aren't great wars enabled with Revolution and Counterrevolution? That's an 1870 tech.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 5, 2013

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

If you want to do more and go crazy with it, you can use console commands listed here:
http://victoria2wiki.com/Console_commands

Use the showprovinceid command in combination with changeowner [TAG] [province id], and you can make rearranging the map more interesting. You can actively balance out powers so that Russia doesn't own Siberia or something like that. It depends on how far you want to go, but it can also fix annoying release/territory issues such as making sure Canada owns a tiny sliver of border to keep the US out after you release Quebec, insuring Canada will never be a great power.

Combine it with notepad++ for extra complicated editing, such as giving California accepted cultures of Mexican so they can get somewhere (they will -never- have their accepted pops otherwise since yankees don't seem to ever migrate out of the US).

If you want to do something super crazy, but super fun, I suggest flipping the civilized status of everyone. In Notepad++ for save game editing, it's super easy. Just look for "civilized=yes" and flip that to "nurp", then switch the "no"s to yes and "nurp" to "no". Now China, Japan, and India are world powers and England ain't nothing...for a few decades. Because Europe is very literate, you can't keep them down for long without editing that. Unless you delete or switch technology discoveries, when England westernizes they're back to their old self too. Worst of all, because there's not many industrial goods to go around industrialization takes a long time to kick off even for China. On the plus side, if you play as a Native American country you get a ton of Chinese immigrants since you're the only civilized countries there.

You also get fun results from it like this gem done entirely by the AI:

And the newspaper will post some interesting things:

Edit:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Honestly, doing it ingame is probably about as much work as changing the province files -- and all you get is a savegame instead of an outright mod.

Depends on how much you do, but yeah. If you're going to do a lot just make it a mod. Minor things like tag switching about can be faster than doing a mod, even changing owner stuff can be faster if you're just doing minor things.

For those too lazy (like me) who don't want to slog through it all, it's at least an option.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 5, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just thought of a feature that Paradox's games could really use- a glossary, like Civilization has. Rather than paging through a gigantic manual or fan-created, possibly out-of-date wiki, just supplement the in-game tutorials with a glossary of terms and their mechanical effects. This would be great for Hearts of Iron especially, because I'm looking at the effects for slider moves and wondering what exactly many of them do. I could go look them up in the manual, but in-game assistance would be better and a lot of people would get discouraged looking at stuff this complex.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I reinstalled Vic 2 and immediately remembered how much I love modding in this game. I had some time this weekend, so I started working on a new mod for the 1861 campaign:

So many more states to create!

Edit: vvv

Soylent Pudding posted:

On the subject of Vic 2 mods, is there a good shattered US style mod out there?

This is exactly what I'm working on. :)

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 6, 2013

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

On the subject of Vic 2 mods, is there a good shattered US style mod out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kersch's Vicky 2 LP has finally helped me figure out how to play the drat game, so big thanks on that! Paradox really should fire whoever does their tutorials now and just bring him on, since his EU3 and CK2 LP's were how I learned those games, too.

• Locked thread