Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what would be a slick feature for those more action heavy sequences? The ability to air drop your recruits from Mother Base to fight alongside you. Put in permadeath for them in the more difficult difficulties. The PW mission where Heaven's Divide plays is one of my favorite moments in the series. Doing that with more chaos and PS4 power would be amazing. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Reive posted:

So uh, anyone like the ps2 MGO? Because it's back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2t3rcM-Et0
https://savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=455

Basically fans have made their own private MGO server that will be accessible just by having the disc and using a cheat device (gameshark, code breaker, action replay) to input a code that'll redirect the game to their server, or play it emulated in PCSX2.

Neat! I never played the old MGO, but always felt like I missed out on something. Also, I didn't know Urban Ultimatum was a remake until watching that video.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Aren't early january release dates usually just placeholders when there is no actual announced release date?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Aren't early january release dates usually just placeholders when there is no actual announced release date?

Any release date on the 1st or 2nd of any month is a placeholder.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Neat! I never played the old MGO, but always felt like I missed out on something. Also, I didn't know Urban Ultimatum was a remake until watching that video.

It was ok although I felt it was the kind of game where it was more fun to mess around than to play it seriously. I felt that the auto aim ruined a lot of it's charm and the controls were way too messy. There were some godlike people in it that could headshot you really easily using first person view. But imagine trying to aim an assault rifle with the mgs3 controls in a online environment.

That was one of the things that the MGS4 version of MGO was highly above the original.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I loved how even MGO had the little things that MGS is known for. Like how the characters would talk in their sleep if you tried to use the codec when they got knocked out.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
MGO was the first game that introduced me to online play. I still have really fond memories of playing MGO. While I am sure that MGO2's controls were far better than the 1st MGO, I don't think that that is going to be a problem. Just one more day till I can twirl Ocelots revolver.

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

Sefal posted:

Just one more day till I can twirl Ocelots revolver.
A euphemism?

Juvenile humour aside, I missed all online iterations of Metal Gear until co-op play for (HD Collection) Peace Walker. I tried local co-op play on the PSP when it first came out, but I was living in a rural area and it was too inconvenient to keep up. I'm really looking forward to MGSV's online play because they're clearly putting a lot of work into it. (Opening the LA branch of KojiPro)

Does anyone have any insight as to what they've been up to? And when can we expect the next big release of MGSV information?

PS: We've acknowledged the connection to Orwell's 1984, but I hope the series doesn't take a turn for the other-wordly: V (made in 1984)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I think Kojima said that the only things he wouldn't put into the series was time travel and space, which probably includes aliens.

Though technically Raiden went back in time in the Subsitance bonus movies, so maybe aliens are possible too :v:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

mortalwombat posted:

PS: We've acknowledged the connection to Orwell's 1984, but I hope the series doesn't take a turn for the other-wordly: V (made in 1984)

Well, this would explain why NASA formed a special forces unit that employed ninjas...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Don Gato posted:

I think Kojima said that the only things he wouldn't put into the series was time travel and space, which probably includes aliens.

Though technically Raiden went back in time in the Subsitance bonus movies, so maybe aliens are possible too :v:

Ocelot being an alien would be the biggest cop-out ever. Alien technology would be the new nanomachines.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

That loving Sned posted:

Ocelot being an alien would be the biggest cop-out ever. Alien technology would be the new nanomachines.

Kojima has been copping out on his stories for a while. I felt that the whole Paramedic, Sigint was pretty lazy.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Really, even Major Zero founding the Patriots felt like a cop-out. None of those character had an arc that felt natural to them becoming who they became. It would have been better if Kojima just said "gently caress it" and introduced new characters in 4 who were the patriots. Or if he stuck with the "Patriots are hundreds of years old" thing.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I dunno, I thought Major Zero being the head of the Patriots was kinda cool, but executed horribly. Especially how it worked with Sigint, even Paramedic shows some interest in genetics in MGS3.

It would've been better if in POOPS or Peace Walker we would meet these people and they would explain why they are doing this in their own words.

I also kinda expected Ocelot to call Zero instead of some random director at the CIA for foreshadowing...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Not just a cop out but utterly baffling considering Ocelot is the son of Boss/Sorrow. Kojima had the perfect loving explanation for Liquid Ocelot and he blew it. "Ocelot hypnotized himself" is the biggest cop out in the entire series bar none.

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.

al-azad posted:

Not just a cop out but utterly baffling considering Ocelot is the son of Boss/Sorrow. Kojima had the perfect loving explanation for Liquid Ocelot and he blew it. "Ocelot hypnotized himself" is the biggest cop out in the entire series bar none.

I thought the punchline of "Ocelot tricked himself" was pretty good, though.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

nosebro posted:

He rolled a natural 20 on a Bluff check and became convinced his own bluff was the truth.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nosebro posted:

It was hilariously ironic but I couldn't appreciate a lot of the better aspects of this game because, well, that's just MGS4.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know what would be a slick feature for those more action heavy sequences? The ability to air drop your recruits from Mother Base to fight alongside you. Put in permadeath for them in the more difficult difficulties. The PW mission where Heaven's Divide plays is one of my favorite moments in the series. Doing that with more chaos and PS4 power would be amazing. :aaa:

I'm not an AssCreed fan but I really like how Revelations let you control assassins from afar. This would be a great feature to control.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

It was hilariously ironic but I couldn't appreciate a lot of the better aspects of this game because, well, that's just MGS4.

I'm not an AssCreed fan but I really like how Revelations let you control assassins from afar. This would be a great feature to control.

I forget how it worked but in Brotherhood your assassins were basically ninjas, it was awesome (and there was permadeath always). You'd just be walking by a place, put a hit on a random guy, and some cloaked assassin would immediately leap out of some random pile of hay and shank a dude, use smoke and got out of dodge.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

al-azad posted:

I completely ignore that explanation. Nope, it was all a magic ghost arm. Nanomachines? What are those?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I prefer to think that the characters struggle to figure out the surreal logic that governs their world and they end up offering multiple contradictory explanations. I mean what is ultimately the difference between summoning a spirit from your transplanted arm into your brain versus just convincing yourself you did?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

swamp waste posted:

I prefer to think that the characters struggle to figure out the surreal logic that governs their world and they end up offering multiple contradictory explanations. I mean what is ultimately the difference between summoning a spirit from your transplanted arm into your brain versus just convincing yourself you did?

The same difference between Jedi's being mystical wizards because it's fun and then learning it was intelligent germs all along. Some things are better left unexplained, let the audience fill in the details.

Now that I think about it, MGS4 has a ton of connections to Lucas messing with the Star Wars universe.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Wait, I thought the explanation for Liquid Ocelot was that he actually used Liquid's arm, and after the Big Shell incident he realized it was waaaay too much of a burden and would gently caress up his plans of double-crossing the Patriots, so he removed it and had it replaced with a robot arm and hypnotized himself so he could sell it convincingly that he's still on their side until the very end when it was too late for anything to get ruined.

With the Sorrow appearing after you kill Screaming Mantis, the game was kind of saying "yeah, there are still ghosts, but sometimes nanomachines can simulate ghosts which will be important in a few minutes."

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

I completely ignore that explanation. Nope, it was all a magic ghost arm. Nanomachines? What are those?

The proper reading of the series is that magical powers are real, but are suppressed by the Patriots because they want us to believe in nanomachines instead. Maybe this is why Snake's so skeptical of them in MGS4, since he's seen some pretty crazy poo poo before they were even invented.

That syringe Snake uses to defeat Vamp? Holy water. Johnny's incontinence? It goes away after he removes his mask, so maybe it was infected. Hell, even Screaming Mantis turned out to be the actual loving ghost of an actual loving psychic, so they didn't completely explain everything away with nanomachines.

E: What cobalt impurity said.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

al-azad posted:

I guess I forgot about that. Brotherhood totally had PW's Outer Ops and that was rad as hell. I'd love for MGS to steal a bit from AssCreed. Actual ninja mercenaries would even work in MGSV.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It was pretty audacious for Kojima to base the resolution of the entire plot on some throwaway easter eggs in MGS3.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I still think that the best explanation would have been Ocelot still having Liquid's ghost in his arm, but only manipulating Ghost Liquid into thinking he was actually in control, when it was Ocelot all along.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ghost Hand Reverse Hypnosis, I love it!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

cobalt impurity posted:

Wait, I thought the explanation for Liquid Ocelot was that he actually used Liquid's arm, and after the Big Shell incident he realized it was waaaay too much of a burden and would gently caress up his plans of double-crossing the Patriots, so he removed it and had it replaced with a robot arm and hypnotized himself so he could sell it convincingly that he's still on their side until the very end when it was too late for anything to get ruined.

With the Sorrow appearing after you kill Screaming Mantis, the game was kind of saying "yeah, there are still ghosts, but sometimes nanomachines can simulate ghosts which will be important in a few minutes."

I prefere this reading. We got all kinds of strange poo poo happening (Fortune actually being able to repel bullets, the ghost of a failed kosmonaut catching fire and screaming through the air, an old man living through photosynthesis, a shaman being able to control ravens and, I guess, a vampire who can cath people by their shadows. People are just trying to rationalize it. "Uh, well it is just a side effect of nanomachines/hypnosis/killer virus! This can't be happening in our rational world!"
I really prefere that the short glimpse of Mantis in the first and last act shows that, yes, these mystical things still happen, underneath the techno bullshit of nanomachines.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Nanomachines don't explain Snake's infinite ammo bandana, which he states is actually an actual item he owns, not a gameplay mechanic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's explained by the fact that the entire universe is an elaborate simulation being experienced as fiction in order to hide The Patriot's true identity.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I always thought a theme of MGS was that in the age of heroes the Boss and Big Boss are from, there was a lot more magic stuff happening, kind of like how in real life there's tons of crazy stories from WW2 of people performing crazy feats. Once we hit MGS2 and its theme of control, they're trying to replicate some of that and it's getting a little phony, and by MGS4 and it's almost lame with the B&B Corps.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Can somebody explain to me what the hell Kaz meant in PW by going on and on about MSF being a new kind of business? Aren't they just mercenaries? Or does he mean that they are the first PMC ever invented? What's so revolutionary about that?

Also are Kaz and MacDonald Miller from MGS1 the same person? Did his name change just because of :japan:?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

setafd posted:

I always thought a theme of MGS was that in the age of heroes the Boss and Big Boss are from, there was a lot more magic stuff happening, kind of like how in real life there's tons of crazy stories from WW2 of people performing crazy feats. Once we hit MGS2 and its theme of control, they're trying to replicate some of that and it's getting a little phony, and by MGS4 and it's almost lame with the B&B Corps.

With Vamp being the final remnant and a mix of magic and technology, and by the time of Rising magic is seemingly gone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can somebody explain to me what the hell Kaz meant in PW by going on and on about MSF being a new kind of business? Aren't they just mercenaries? Or does he mean that they are the first PMC ever invented? What's so revolutionary about that?

Also are Kaz and MacDonald Miller from MGS1 the same person? Did his name change just because of :japan:?

He says they're an army without a country. Yes, it still isn't very different from being a PMC anyway.

And yes, it's supposedly the same guy. We don't know what the deal with the namechange is yet. Could be one of the Millers is a fake, or(the far more likely scenario) Miller changes his name in MGS5 because he feels he doesn't deserve to be named "peace" anymore.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I reckon there'll be a good 20 minute monologue about it in V.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

RatHat posted:

And yes, it's supposedly the same guy. We don't know what the deal with the namechange is yet. Could be one of the Millers is a fake, or(the far more likely scenario) Miller changes his name in MGS5 because he feels he doesn't deserve to be named "peace" anymore.

That's such a kojima thing it must be true. Also I don't know if him choosing "MacDonald" out off all possible names makes it even worse.

"I never found peace in my life. War was what I wanted and where I was headed, despite what it cost to me and my family. Being names "peace" was cruel irony. From now on I shall be..

.. MacDonald":burger:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Not MacDonald, McDonnell.

"Master" McDonell Benedict Miller.

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

ManOfTheYear posted:

It's the basis for the entire concept of Outer Heaven. Soldiers can make their living fighting without being bound by political ideologies.

Zero/Cipher/Patriots want to control the world using this new system, while Big Boss and Miller hope to find freedom with it. Big Boss' final monologue in MGS4 explains it pretty well. They created a new system (corporations) to get away from the previous one (nations) but then found themselves controlled by the new system.

Peace Walker was the story of how the world of MGS4 was formed.

ManOfTheYear posted:

.. MacDonald":burger:

It's "McDonnell Benedict Miller". Likely in reference to McDonnell Douglas and Benedict Arnold. A manufacturer of war machines and a merchant/general/traitor. (Zero is even British)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ManOfTheYear posted:

He was saying because they have the ability to launch a nuclear strike they are upsetting the global balance of power. I forget exactly I haven't played PW in a while.

It's assumed that it's the same character until the...twist :cool:

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 21, 2013

• Locked thread